Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Star Wars Game

Author
Years of Service
Recently Online
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 07:10 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 07:14
the whole "legal issue" regarding this WIP is really getting out of hand. it's a non-issue. lucas has always, and will always, support this kind of fan work with a silent approval (by not exercising his right to prosecute/protect his property) because this is free, positive press for all things Star Wars. it keeps the echo of "Star Wars" in people's ears. it is (the fans) what takes people like him from simple success to the monstrous entity that is Star Wars, and lucasarts.

consider all the money-making ventures that take place revolving around star wars and/or lucasarts. massive conventions, web sites, etc. all making serious money off the "star wars" name. it's called publicity, and the fans are contributing their time, energy, and cash to it, and happily. no way will lucas sic the $500/hour lawyers on something like this. it would be counter-productive/bad press.

anyway. that's my 2 cents... please continue this project, as is!

btw, if there's a real threat, would TGC allow the banner with the mini-vader + light saber to be posted here? do you think the commercial director would be asking for screen shots to post? c'mon... /vent off

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 17:06 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 17:07
trust me, companies as big as Lucas Arts ($billions) have bored lawyers on staff 24x7 with nothing else to do all day but defend their brand

"Star Wars®, STARWARS.COM®, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK®, RETURN OF THE JEDI®, Star Wars: EPISODE I-THE PHANTOM MENACE® and all logos, characters, artwork, stories, information, names, and other elements associated thereto are the sole and exclusive property of Lucasfilm Ltd. Any use of any of the materials on this Site other than for private, non-commercial viewing purposes is strictly prohibited. The sale, auction, lease, loan, gift, trade or barter, or use of any of the text, graphics, photographs, audio and/or video material or stills from audiovisual material or any other materials contained herein, for any other purpose, in any form, media or technology now known or hereafter developed, including the use of any of the aforementioned materials on any other Web site or networked computer environment, without a prior written consent from LucasArts, is expressly prohibited. The creation of derivative works based on the materials contained herein including, but not limited to, products, services, fonts, icons, link buttons, wallpaper, desktop themes, on-line postcards and greeting cards and unlicensed merchandise (whether sold, bartered or given away) is expressly prohibited." legal from their website.

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 19:24
I would summarise that as:

"The creation of derivative works based on the materials contained herein ... is expressly prohibited."

But then this only means that they have the legal rights to order C&D whenever they want (or demand money), it doesn't mean that it is what they will do even when this game is clearly breaking the copyright and possibly trademark laws. This also means that posting shots of this game goes against TGC's gallery rules.

The thing with copyright laws however is that Lucas Arts can turn a blind eye to this if they so choose. As I said before they do not have much interest in stopping this kind of product because they have no need to protect exclusive rights, as long as the product is not made commercially. If they have allowed fan games before they may not able to forbid anyone else to do them in the future.

I want to compare this to my favourite author Robin Hobb. She does not allow anyone to make fangames etc based on her books because then she would not be able to offer anyone exclusive rights to do so in the future. A developer would be less interested in such a project if ther are already tons of fangames available, they would want their game to be the only existing one.

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 20:39
As for copyright/trade mark, they seem to be alright as long as you clearly state that your game is independent and has no connection with lucas arts.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was rubbish.
MBG Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 04:43
this game looks amazing! i could never make a game like that! if you do make ground missions you should make the battle in the blockade runner from the 1st 8 minutes of "A New Hope".

turn around, im right behind you
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 04:55
Don't worry about the legal stuff till it happens. No need to get all worried about something like that by assuming Lucas will send the troops after you.

By the way, looks awesome and you should feel amazing that Rick came down off his godly TGC forum to dwell amoung us mortals and give your game gallery status. Really, great work!

Jane Doe
Years of Service
User Offline
I really don't think that "You won't get caught" or "If you do get caught, they won't do anything about it" or "Don't worry about the legal repercussions until they actually fall on your head like a tonne of sh... bricks" are particularly cogent legal arguments. Bear in mind that none of the people dispensing these pearls of legal wisdom are going to have to face the consequences with you if George Lucas does take exception to your “tribute” to his work.

If your game is anything like the videos you've posted, you'll have a very good game on your hands. It isn't good because it's Star Wars, it's because it's good in its own right. I think you should make new original models and come up with your own name and universe. Not only will your legal position be better, but it will differentiate your game from the hundred other Star Wars games.

Why would someone who has the capacity to produce this game sublimate his/her/their creativity to someone else's franchise?

- Jane
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 22:29
I never said he shouldn't make this game his own, but if his intention is to make an awesome star wars game, he shouldn't back down because of what might happen.

On the other hand, making it your own game with models and original themes gives you a bigger array of choices, including selling it commercially and so on. If you're leaning towards developing this game to that point, then ditch Star Wars now before it gets too deep.

And I realize you weren't directing your whole post at me, Jane.

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 14:52
No problem with making any star wars game or any media as long as it is not sold or any money changes hands. Lucas arts have always had this policy. I made a star wars game a few years ago for a DB competition and we got in touch with them to check if it was ok.

Tobi: if you need a modeller or any help with the graphics get in touch I would love to help out on this project.

Modellers need to eat
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
@Frap: Thank you for your offer. Of course I always need good models. What would like to make? Do you prefer ships or can you also make human models like a stormtrooper or a rebel soldier? The problem is that my brother who made all the models in the game isn't good at modelling humans.

btw, which modelling software are you using?

Moreover I added a few hundred stormtroopers (textured plains) to the hoth mission:

Frap
User Banned
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 16:01
I usually make vehicles and buildings never really got the hang of creatures but I am willing to have a go for you. I use max 5 to create my models. Get in touch via MSN

Modellers need to eat
MBG Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 18:58
the demo was great. i could really tell i was playing a star wars game. the sencativity was i little too hi though

turn around, im right behind you
Squelchy Tom
Years of Service
User Offline
loved it, i am using a 7 year old pc and the frames ran at 8-13, but still totally playable, even on lowest setting lol

Felt like a real starwars game ^_^
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2007 04:38
Email LucasArts, I've heard they actually love fan games, and sometimes sponsor them.

They'd probably love your game.

Hardware: nVidia GeForce 8500GT 256mb, 240gb HD Space, Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 512mb RAM, Realtek HD Audio
Software: 3Ds Max 9, Adobe Photoshop CS, Adobe AfterEffects CS3
Penfold
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Sep 2007 20:44
Quote: "Email LucasArts, I've heard they actually love fan games, and sometimes sponsor them.

They'd probably love your game."

This is a great idea, you have some real good screen shots too. you never know.....

'Ooh 'eck chief'...'crumbs'
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 02:06
One person made a film with some AfterEffects editing for lightsabers, and he got a job at LucasArts with visual effects.

You never know.

Hardware: nVidia GeForce 8500GT 256mb, 240gb HD Space, Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 512mb RAM, Realtek HD Audio
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 04:44
@ Chief:

Was it this guy? Link.

Beast E Gargoyle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2007 05:14
Great work tobi453 if ur game is as good as it looks it will set boundaries for the software u are using. Great job again keep up the good work! also go star wars those are the 6 best movies eva

Winner my a longshot!
General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
It does look just like rouge squadren, very nice!

Check out my WIP game, and comment at-----http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=110649&b=25
PresFox
Years of Service
User Offline
very cool,

in the 2nd mission i got killed cause a walker tripped over and landed on me

Great job!

Microsoft isnt evil, they just make really crappy operating systems -- Linus torvalds
Squelchy Tom
Years of Service
User Offline
wont work on vista :0 has anyone managed to get it working on the big V :/
Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 00:13
It runned fine on my vista 64 bit...

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Sep 2007 02:52
Works on Vista here. Maybe you need a .dll?

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Commander in Chief
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2007 06:54
Quote: "Was it this guy? Link."

Yes, Inspire, it was Ryan Wieber. I figured that was a given

ozmoz
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice! I like this game
5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
My system is
AMD 2800+ Barton Proccesor
1GB of Ram
128MB ATI 9500 Pro Graphics Card

and on best settings with water and shadows on it was running smootly at 25fps

game master 07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 02:59
Do you have the .dba source code for this? If so could you please upload it? It would really help me as I am trying to make my own space combat game!

gm07
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Its C# not db.

Your about to get pwned.
game master 07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 03:54
Quote: "Its C# not db."

Than this is the wrong thread to post it!

gm07
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 05:49
No, it isn't. It's DGDK (I recall) and that's a TGC product...

Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
It is DGDK, and this is the wip section for games made with TGC languages, hence why its here.

Your about to get pwned.
game master 07
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 04:05
Ive started using c# with DARKGDK now as well as dbp. Could the c# project template file of the game please be posted? Just so that I can have some third person sampple code?

gm07
Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2007 19:11
I just tried out the demo, I really enjoyed it. Very well done, you are a credit to the DBP community

I had a steady framerate of 30 fps for most of the game, the intro dialog/cutscenes were well done, good use of sounds and shaders. My only criticism is that it does not save your settings, and you must restart the game to go to the next level Other than that, great work!

Visit the Wip!
DB PROgrammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 04:52
This looks really cool! Any updates?

I keep runing nowhere fast!
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's a small update:
We've been working on two new missions, a ground mission and another flight mission. Furthermore you can now give orders to your wingmen. You can order them to attack a specific target or to attack only tie fighters or to protect something.

Here are two screenshots of the new flight mission. I think you can guess which planet this shall be.^^

Here another screen with bloomshader. Unfortunately the bloom shader doesn't work on my new vista notebook:

Here's a screenshot of the ground mission. I'm not sure whether this ground mission will be implented in the next release, because we're still playing around with the mission. And actually the graphics and the controls are very bad at the moment. The mission simply doesn't feel good.

Deathead
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice! Next you should most definately look at the graphics on the character most.

[href]http://www.freewebs.com/deatheadstudios/

[/href]
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 14:17
I would just like to say, this game is amazing! I have played the demo and it is commercial quality in my opinion. Excellent work. Please continue this.

http://www.freewebs.com/teammegabasic/
For low price FPSC and Dark BASIC media packs.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 20:36
Looking good, tobi . Keep it up!

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2007 23:55 Edited at: 11th Nov 2007 23:59
Just a thought on that legal thing.

I read this recently http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7010484.stm about that German Warhammer 4000 fan film.

Sux they worked on it for years and they can't even release it for free!

Put some Ewoks and scout bike (not sure if thats the name) in, flying through those trees

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 01:59
Quote: "btw, if there's a real threat, would TGC allow the banner with the mini-vader + light saber to be posted here?"

Must be the most non-valid argument I've ever seen, only second to "I don't like french fries because I don't really like vegetables."

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2007 03:17
I couldn't download the demo. It kept saying the file was corrupt!

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 01:31
Hey, I can't seem to download the demo... What do I need to do? Do I need to buy an account?

Click here to see my showcase.
Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 01:42
Oh, and could you possible host it on Filefront.com instead of the one your using? It says I need to pay for the demo download. That would help people from not paying for the FREE demo.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 04:44 Edited at: 17th Nov 2007 04:46
http://rapidshare.com/files/48716128/StarWarsGame.rar.html
Rapidshare paid? Hah. You need to look better there. Scroll all the way down and find the big button saying 'Free'. It might help you with your problem.

If it doesn't, after clicking free you need to scroll down. Above all the Paypal options you'll see something like: Your download will be ready in 0.8 minutes. Await until it runs to zero, then select a mirror and tadaa.

If that doesn't help, return your computer to where you bought it from.

n008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 14:58

^^What the heck? I can download just about anything else fine!

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2007 20:01 Edited at: 18th Nov 2007 00:58
Ok, I understand it now... Now I just need to wait 47 minutes.

Edit: Wow, nice. The mouse controls are a little sensitive but it's still good. Can I send this to my friends at a Star Wars Community? Can I host it on Filefront.com for you so they can download it? Oh, when will this be out by the progress your making... Will it be for sell or will it be free?

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 00:33 Edited at: 18th Nov 2007 00:59
[MOD PLEASE REMOVE]

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 00:38 Edited at: 18th Nov 2007 00:59
[MOD PLEASE REMOVE] thanks.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 00:45
Orrion Carn, you're approaching the point where a mod will notice your triple posting. If you want to add things to a post, please use the edit post link under your avatar to do so. Triple posting will only get you slapped.

Orrion Carn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2007 00:57
Sorry... I keep forgetting it... I'll edit it and could a mod remove my previous post?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-01 22:48:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-01 22:48:53