Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Star Wars Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 18:23
Nice work. Is that the Death Star in the third mission?
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, it is.

Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Aug 2007 21:12
tobi453 here it is...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much for the music. It fits very well to the mission.

Tecnuro Entertainment LTD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2007 01:23
O.M.G.

This game is looking sweet. I plea with you to make some ground missions - I dont think I've seen a lightsaber game made in DB yet.

Kez: Legacy of the Flame
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 00:27
WOW! Need I say more?

This looks like a commercial game some years ago. The visuals reminds me of an old airplane simulator (not too old though). The coding seems quite impressive though with AI and guns etc working. Oh, and I agree with Kyle Katarn, the cable is way too thick.

The problem with making a Star Wars game is that you can't sell what you make and often well made games are ordered to stop. You could always use the programming for another game and you will probably attract a lot of interest by making a Star Wars game. Also a nice portfolio if you are looking for a job.

[center]
Game development made simple!
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for all your comments.

The third mission is nearly complete, but it still needs some fine tuning. Here are some new screenshots:

Furthermore here are the loading screens for the three missions. They were rendered with Blender and edited with GIMP.

As progress is going well at the moment, the demo might be released next week.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 19:35
@tobi453- b-e-a-u-tiful graphics! I haven't read the older posts but is going to be sold? (I would think not because of copyrights?)

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
@GameKing:
No, I programm the game just for fun and in order to get more experienced in programming. You learn a lot of math and physics and that's more important to me than money. Therefore it will be completely free. (And of course Lucasarts wouldn't allow us to sell it.)

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2007 23:33 Edited at: 10th Aug 2007 23:35
Tobi:
Nice loading screens, although the Death Star one is not as impressive as the other two.

BTW, you should turn on max anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering for your 3D card's Direct X settings, the screenshots will look much better (if it works)

Oh, and release them as desctop wallpapers as well, without the loading info.

[center]
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm glad you like them .

and here they are without the loading info:

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 00:53
If possible you should not have the ships blurred in the death star image. Because they are traveling "with the camera" they should be sharp. Would also be nice if one of the ships was partly within that light. The details of the ships will make the image look better.

[center]
Dr Manette
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2007 00:58
Holy crap those are nice. For a moment I thought they were in game.

Still, I admire your modeling skills.

VR2
Years of Service
User Offline
STILL looking really good guys. I look forward to the demo.
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
DEMO RELEASED!

Here's the link to the demo:
http://rapidshare.com/files/48716128/StarWarsGame.rar.html

In order to get at least 20 fps with minimal details you need 1.8 ghz, 256 mb ram and a geforce fx 5200. Please post your framerate and your hardware specifications.
I think you will have some problems with the controls at the beginning, but after you played the game for a while you will get used to them.
Furthermore I hope you will like the sound: All sounds are loaded as 3d sounds and I have also included the doppler effect. The whole game is completely programmed in DarkGDK and uses no external plugins like sparky's collision.
When you have finished a mission sucessfully, you will get no medal, a bronze, a silver or a gold medal. I hope the missions aren't too difficult. Unfortantely you can't yet return to the main menu after you've played a mission, you have to restart the game. Moreover the whole main menu is just a placeholder at the moment.

C&C welcome.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 16:57
That's a pretty awesome game! I got 40-60 FPS sometimes lower depending on where I was(x2 4400+, 2x 7800GTX, 2gigs RAM, max settings) I liked the cinematics! you rarely see those in DBP games. I really liked the tripping up of ATATs, missiles etc. I managed to finish all 3 missions and liked the variation between them. With more polishing the game could be really awesome.

I'd change the controls a little bit, I found the mouse to be a bit sensitive, even the smallest movement made the ship turn quite a bit which made aiming a little tricky. I also think rotation should be dampened somewhat when you slow down as it's fairly easy to slow down to attack everything so you should get some penalty.

I also think the death star's trench should be longer and slightly harder as you only had to do a bit of weaving to dodge all turbolasers and the tie fighters didn't make for much of a problem.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2007 17:55
I agree with DC, this has a lot of potential. My main problem was the mouse sensitivity as well, it seemed a bit jerky and fast. If you slowly increased and decreased the speed the ship rotates with the curveangle or curvevalue command, it'd make for a much smoother game.

Graphically, the ships are great, but the maps are lacking. They seem a bit bare, and the lighting isnt the best, but its still a lot better than most DBP games.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 13:24
That is amazing!
The only mission I couldn't do was the secong one, because I kept crashing into the big things when I was trying to tie them up
A health bar would also be nice

Jna99
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 13:28
tobi453 If you want I've got the other mission musics

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2007 15:07
This probably wont run on my laptop but I'll give it a try later.

[center]
Blastwave man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 00:35
I tried the demo out this morning and was about to comment when I realized I was late for work, lol. The demo is great, the graphics and cut scenes are very well done. The shaders are just as good. The AI in my opinion was perfect for a arcade style game such as this. My only crit, like mentioned before is the very sensitive mouse control. Adding a simple curvevalue command will fix this.

I do have a suggestion: having an auto target when your cursor is pointing at a ship. Where your weapons automatically fire at the point where the enemy ship and bolt will meet. Just a suggestion. Though, it might make the game a lot easier, and right now I think the difficulty is dead on.

looking good, can't wait to see some more updates

Current Project: Blastwave Saga
Completion: 33% (give or take a percentage)
Mr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 03:54
This game looks great. I downloaded the demo and tried to run it but got an error message (which, as is typical, i was unable to copy and paste from):

StarWars.exe - Unable to Locate Component

(red x) This application has failed to start because d3dx9_30.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

SUPER BADASS SPACESHIP X: WEBSITE
FORUM TOPIC
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 07:57
very nice demo.

my (old) system:

amd xp1800+ 1.66 ghz
1.5 gb ram
radeon 8700 128mb
(no shaders/shadows)

@ max detail = 20-40 fps (20 over island w/ heavy [population + fire]
medium = 30-40 fps

both very playable

enjoyed the demo; thank you

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 12:19
Very nice. The mouse is far to sensetive, though, and there are no collision with the enemy ships (you can go streigth through them). But still very good. Got the Star Wars feel and nice grafics, and, above all else, it's fun.
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for all your comments.

@Mr Tank:
You need to download the newest DirectX 9.0c version. You can download it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CB7397F3-0949-487B-9247-8FEE451BF952&displaylang=en

@Jna99:
I'm not sure whether this is legal. I've already included the hoth music. I don't want to get into trouble with lucasarts.

@all:
I will improve the controls and I have also some nice ideas for improving the maps. But apart from that, which mission do you want to see next? Maybe a ground mission with the ATST in the forest of endor? Or a speeder bike mission? Or something in space? Feel free to post nice mission ideas.

Mr X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2007 21:43
Your ideas sound very nice. But I have two more. Milenium Falcon in the asteroid field when trying to escape from the empire. The space battle of Endor (you wait in space until the shield is down, and then fly into the Death Star and blow it up).
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2007 23:05
Sorry for not testing your game earlier.

It ran smooth as silk on my laptop at 60 FPS, with all settings on lowest.

Intel Centrino 1.6 GHz
512 MB RAM
Radeon Mobility 9700

It's kinda nice that you are only using the mouse to controll the game but I found it annoying to change the speed with the mousewheel, same finger as I fire with. I also think you should support a joystick!

There's no speed display.

It was hard to tell where the shots went as I couldn't see them going very far. BTW, aren't the shots in the movies laser beams?

It was quite fun to play though

[center]
Kyle Katarn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 04:55
NVIDIA GeForce 6600
512 MB RAM
AMD Sempron 2500+

Settings: Highest
Framerate: 47- 58

Gameplay was excellent, models are really high quality and textured well.

Now one thing I did find the game was lacking in was maneuverability (I think I have put too many letters into that word). I found it was waay too easy to get a TIE on your tail, but you couldnt lose him as easily. I reckon it would be much better if you could simply whip around behind him in a somersault and take him out. It just give the game a more 3D feel.

Again, great work, I cant wait to see/hear/play more (which I most definately will.
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2007 05:32 Edited at: 19th Aug 2007 06:24
Amazing how you trip the ATATs, even more amazing how a bot player on your side does it too! great programming.

30fps level 1, lowest settings no water
15fps level 1, on all the low settings with water
15fps level 2, all low
15fps level 3, all low

P-M1.5Ghz + Intel 915.

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Keo C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 06:50
Holy Moley! It looks good! Must play demo....

Uhhhhhhh.... I forgot
TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 15:44
That demo was awesome! Mouse is too sensitive but other than that it was great!

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 22:16
Where is the demo, I can't see it?
Looks amazing, probably the best thing I've ever seen with DB

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was rubbish.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 23:25
Amazing game. The Hoth level was amazingly done.

I had good framerates the entire time, with the highest settings.

I did not like the control of the ships, though. It seemed like I had to get the mouse in the perfect spot to make the ship go straight, and even so, it sort of "balanced" there, and the slightest twitch made it start turning.

Anyways, you did a fantastic job with it!

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 11:01
Hi,

Can you please post some of your best shots into the TGC Gallery? We're really impressed with you game!

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=gallery_upload

Rick Vanner
Director
TGC Team

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 11:36
"You give The Game Creators Ltd. the rights to display this image on any of their web sites, or in any other digital or printed work they may produce. Copyright of the image itself belongs to you, or the originator, at all time"

Not to be annoying, just to keep things fair.

Loved it all, same thing, sensitivity was quite overdone, lol. All looked crispy and polished, well done!

You know what I loved most? The death sequence. Boom. Gone. Bye.

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem, Rick

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 12:53
Just wanted to point this out: "By using this service you are agreeing that ... the image itself does not breach any copyright laws."

Since you are basing this game on Star Wars, is that alright?

[center]
CREATE games with ease! NO programming required!
WIP
tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
Good question. But I don't think I breach any copyright laws, because there's so much fan-made starwars media in the internet and nobody complains about. Furthermore Lucasarts has generally turned a blind eye to the creation of many not-for-profit fan works.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 14:14
Using the word Star Wars is the breach in copyright as they own the name, however I'm not sure if they can say the same for any of the ship designs or plot so as long as you don't mention Star Wars anywhere in the screen shot or your game there should be no problems.

Also the amount of fan artwork based on the genre is irrelevant, as you're making more than just artwork, you're creating a game which could potentially be seen as a competitor to their existing games so on those grounds you could get a C&D, but again removing any mention of Star Wars from the game and they can't say you've broken any copyrights as you haven't exactly stolen the meshes from their games.

tobi453
Years of Service
User Offline
But there also many fan films in the internet and you could also argue that these are competitors to the official films. For example this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Revelations

Moreover if Lucasarts thinks that this star wars game is a competitor to their games, I will be very happy, because that means that either their games are very bad our this game is very good.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2007 15:07
Quote: "Moreover if Lucasarts thinks that this star wars game is a competitor to their games, I will be very happy, because that means that either their games are very bad our this game is very good."

I think both of your assumptions are right.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 10:12
Quote: "Furthermore Lucasarts has generally turned a blind eye to the creation of many not-for-profit fan works"
Hmmm. Dunno about that. What about those 2 monkey island fan games that were shut down a couple of years ago whilst still in development? Think they were going to be free, but once they started getting a lot of attention Lucasarts closed them down.

Perhaps call it something completely neutral and then allow users to design levels and objects and make these "packs" nicely available in an easy to download manner through the game. Obviously you then release a Star Wars "pack" yourself which happens to look exactly like this game, and of course you can't really control what your users do with your game...

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 14:38
I guess the Monkey Island world is a whole lot smaller then the Star Wars world, or something in those lines.

[center]
WIP
GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2007 22:53 Edited at: 25th Aug 2007 23:44
Quote: "Using the word Star Wars is the breach in copyright as they own the name"

Using somone elses name is a breech of Trade Mark not copyright, if your product was paid for they could say it was "Passing Off" and take you for every penny you earn (like fake Levis jeans, you made 'em but sold it with their trade mark).

If you copied the models/music/sound from a Lucas Art game that would be a copyright infingment.

The problem you will have is this...

Quote: "Can you please post some of your best shots into the TGC Gallery? We're really impressed with you game!
"

Would it be so impressive if it wasn't part of the Star Wars universe that Lucas Arts have spent 30 odd years building up?

If i was TCG I wouldn't pin my ribbon on this one, until someone agreed a franchise license, for fear of legal repocussions later. In a David v Golieth court room battle David rarely has enough money to pay for years and years of lawyer fees!

DinoHunter (still no nVidia compo voucher!), CPU/GPU Benchmark, DarkFish Encryption DLL, War MMOG (WIP), 3D Model Viewer
Spiffty50
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 00:58
That's really sad, because this is a good demo, I especially liked the Death Star one!

Sooooo much
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 02:18
Quote: "Would it be so impressive if it wasn't part of the Star Wars universe that Lucas Arts have spent 30 odd years building up? "

For me, yeah. The gameplay is fun, it looks good. So even if you remove the Star Wars vibe and ships and stuff, and replace them by other stuff, I'd like it (except sensitivity ).

But I agree. Shame, really, the copyright/trademark thingy.

RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 02:24
Just forget the legalities for now. The chances of someone having something to do with LucasArts even going to TGC's website, let alone the forums, is really slim. Even then, the chances of that person having the position to do something about it is slim, and even THEN, the chances OF them doing anything about it at it's current stage, is again, really slim.

Maybe later on when the game is more developed, I could see there being more of a chance of anyone important caring, but right now it isnt worth their time / money to bother. If and when that time comes that the game is at a really developed level, then I'd recommend contacting someone at LucasArts, and really politely informing them of your game, and asking for their permission to distribute it, making sure to tell them that no money has been made off of the game as of yet and it isnt on the market yet, and if declined you'll understandingly remove all resemblance to any major Star Wars features. Make sure to give them an idea of all of the hard work you've done, and pointing out how much of a SW fan you are couldn't hurt as well .

GatorHex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 03:33 Edited at: 26th Aug 2007 03:42
I'd just change all the space ships and stuff slight and give it a star wars sounding name eg. star claws. Every man and his dog has bought into the Star Wars frachise so i bet it's not as expensive as youd think.

Star Wars v Battle Star Galactica (both are in DBP wip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxX0DKE3oqw

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 04:42
I think the best thing about Star Wars in this case is that they will never try to sell anyone the exclusive rights to Star Wars, many different rights have already be sold and they are also pulbicing a lot themselves. This is probably why they can really ignore fan made stuff because they do not have to protect their rights so tightly with something this huge.

Once a game generates enough interest it will become a snow ball and soon it will be known everywhere within the community and thus anyone in contact with this community (in any form) will probably know about it.

[center]
WIP
Crazy Ninja
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2007 06:41
Quote: "The game is programmed with the DGDK"

Quote: "(both are in DBP wip)"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:14:24
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:14:24