Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / FPSC Full Level Demo: The Complex

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2007 04:08
[off topic]

Inspire - I think I saw it, don't remember though. BTW, if you search for March to War in the WIP's you should find my game, old version now though.

[/off topic]

Vote today and play the games!
Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm not saying the game is retarded, I'm saying it is retarded that I cannot get out. And I have completed work with DBP by the way, most of it just small projects though. And if everyone didn't have a stick up their buttox and want a fully working demo in WIP then I wouldn't have had previous problems. So I haven't posted in WIP with any of the small projects I have done. Right now I am working on something, but I guess I'll post when I have a fully functional game demo or else it is flaming for me.

Anyways, how do I get out of the initial room?
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 01:10
@Benjamin A

I appreciate your views on this but you must have believed in FPSC at some point in order to put the effort in when making the Commander Josh Cronicle games. Bearing in mind you got a game published you of all people know the potential of FPSC. You got wound up a couple of times in the past which has tainted your view slightly but i imagine you are probably developing something with FPSC as we speak.

@All

It's important to remember that just because something is easier to use than something else doesn't devalue it in anyway. Comparing one engine against another purely on specification is futile. You can check the forums on those other engines mentioned and won't find an indie first person shooter that looks as good as something like E.L.E i'm afraid.

My demo was to demonsrate that some of the previous level design restrictions thought to exist in FPSC are there to be resolved. I appreciate that the game iteself was a long way short of some of the pro stuff in the showcase but if nothing else I wanted to showcase a full scale dynamic and persistent environment.

Now that I know an FPSC demo lives or dies by it's performance, my next offering will be primarily performance based, although I'm going to seriously test how expansive an outdoor environment can be made within an acceptable frame rate.

This demo took just under a month of evenings and my next demo will be using more custom content so will take a bit longer to create.

@Advancement Games

Cool. No hard feelings man. You come off as a decent bloke and I've got no personal reason to doubt you've produced good work. Perhaps you could have a look at the FPSC source code and see what you make of it. Look forward to seeing your latest stuff when you've got something together.

You need to pick up the small crate with the right mouse button and move it a few yard in front of the metallic pipe along the back wall. Jump on the box and then do a forward jump onto the pipe. Then jump from the pipe onto the platform where there is a rusty door. Theres a crate behind that door which you'll need to throw through the window to get through to the next room.

To be fair that first crate jump is a little tricky due to the required distance from the pipe to the crate leaving a fairly small margin for error.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 01:47
Quote: "I appreciate your views on this but you must have believed in FPSC at some point in order to put the effort in when making the Commander Josh Cronicle games. Bearing in mind you got a game published you of all people know the potential of FPSC."

Thre's a huge difference between believing in a fpsc or calling it best indie game development tool out there..... I know fpsc has potential, but it's not even close to being the best indie game development tool out there. Also you have to keep in mind that getting a game published often depends more on the developer then the engine. I'm using a number of game engines and I've got games published for each of them.

Quote: "You got wound up a couple of times in the past which has tainted your view slightly but i imagine you are probably developing something with FPSC as we speak."

Rest assured, I'm not and at the moment I'm not even considering doing so. There are less frustrating engines I do prefer using at the moment. I had a crash computer crash a while back. I had to install a new harddrive. I've installed everything back, except for fpsc, just couldn't be bothered. So, no there will be no more fpsc games from me for a long time, not even sure if I ever will be touching fpsc again.

I'm keeping my eye on X10, but after seeing 3DGS A7 which was just released (still for DX9), I'm know that my money will not be spent on X10.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Satchmo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 02:55 Edited at: 24th Aug 2007 02:56
Quote: "won't find an indie first person shooter that looks as good as something like E.L.E I'm afraid."

E.L.E isn't an indie game I'm afraid.

Fpsc is a very good program, but like Benjamin said it is very far off from being the best, there are simply many to bugs and lag to be the best. All I really want is to be able to sit down,and not have to take lag into consideration for every thing I do.

Your about to get pwned.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2007 04:16 Edited at: 24th Aug 2007 04:16
Quote: "E.L.E isn't an indie game I'm afraid."

Took the words right out of my mouth.

About this FPSC Debate:

Ben, I do not see any good reason for your opinion about FPSC. Yes, you agree that it is a decent engine, but I don't see why you look down on it so much. I have moved on from it, but every once in a while, I load it up, and work in it (trying to finish my game instead of screwing around in DarkBasic). It really, truly is a great engine. It merges easy of use with game quality, and hits the balance perfectly for a wide audience. For most people who want to get into game design, it is the bridge between RPG Maker and game creation. Most of the people who have a problem with it either realize it's limitations, and, in doing so, have moved on to something different, or are noobs who are too lazy to bother with anything and expect click - click - Doom 3. I have no problem with it, and I would recommend it. In my opinion, it very well might be one of the best indie game engines, for those described reasons.

Advancement Games
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Nomad Soul: no hard feelings. Yeah, I figured out the crate thingy, I just couldn't make the jump for a while lol.
muggins majik
Years of Service
User Offline
Nomad Soul, I've just played this and I must say that it has some of the best level design I've seen on here. I've had none of the lag issues mentioned, the only thing I had problems with was the ladders, I can't seem to climb them every time. Overall though this is superb!
Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 02:17
Looks really awsome, where did you get those prison bar things in seen in the indoor screeny 4/5.

Troy Chambers
phil17
Years of Service
User Offline
I will poke my nose in this debate since im so bored lol
My opinion on FPSC is thats its excellent, its a fun and easy to use tool that provides FPS game devolpment to the masses. It has tons of stock media provided via model packs and is well supported on the forums, with many dedicated users...somthing that is quite hard to find. I think the FPSC engine is more of a hobbiest tool than a commerical game engine, but it does have potiental when used by talented game devolpers such as Ertov. Its also very cheap and comes with hardly any license restrictions. Many games devopled on these forums will never see the light of a game shop, but im sure with x10 alot more will make it over the commerical hill.

Drapes#10
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2007 01:36
awsome game

................... ............. /' /)
................./´ /)........./¯ //
..............,/¯// ......... /...//
............./...//. ......./¯ //
.........../´¯/'´ ¯/´¯ /.../ /
........./'.../... ./... /.../ //
........('(...´(... ....... ,../'. .')