Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC / DevHat Podcast

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2007 20:55
Thanks for the sticky Van. The development explanations are a good idea, I could add a section to the site with code examples for what we cover each podcast.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 00:48
Wasn't MySims unveiled at TGS last year? Although it hadn't been given the name 'MySims' back then...?

And I think it was Japan only...

Wait hasn't it been out in Japan for a while already?

It's definitely over 6 months old.

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 12:12
Apparently MySims was announced in February: http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/index.php?v=news&p=11239, so sorry about that mistake. Definitely not out in Japan though, and it's not Japan-only.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 18:24 Edited at: 28th Aug 2007 18:26
Quote: "Mod glue produced and used.

The one thing I think is missing from these podcasts is actual development stuff, like theory stuff, maybe explain some of the more mysterious aspects of game dev techniques. If people posted questions here (newbies especially), maybe they could be answered in the podcast - the podcast team could look over the questions and pick a couple that they can answer. I think these would be more interesting, even if we already know it's good to hear someone else does things the same way if you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be directly related to DBPro, explaining how certain effects are achieved in games for example could easily be 'laymenised' for the masses.
"

I don't think we'd have the time, the point at which we know what the podcast is going to be about is 30 seconds before recording starts.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2007 19:00
that's because we're so amazingly organised dan
I like the idea of the whole "game dev techniques" section, we'll see if we can think of something to cover in recording tonight.

Hopefully we'll have cleaned up the wiki by friday (when we release) and also decided for the moment we'll be having the reviews/previews section part of my live space blog. As it has everything built-in that is needed for it (i.e. image/video/rss/categories/etc) while Kentaree is updating the Devhat site with all of the nifty new features.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2007 22:16
Maybe you could announce when DBP/DBC coding challenges/start end, and who wins them

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 04:10
I wouldn't count on us adding in "challenges" and such to the podcast. It was discussed before, and both myself and kentaree were slightly weary of doing them.

This might change if the community challenges start to become a bit more.. erm organised. Realistically we only have a limited time each week to research and such. This weeks podcast for example while we have quite a bit in there (90min worth) most of that is actually us "discussing" off-topic about some game development related topics than the actual content.

We have added in this week VanB's idea of game techniques, and I think it wasn't bad given we decided on the subject about 3minutes before we started recording (literally).

Next week, we'll be moving to an 60-min format with a 90-min format reserved for special podcasts. As we're getting more used to doing this and we're finally getting more organised, hopefully things will start to improve more and more.

What we did this week, this will be updated each week with what we're doing. It also has what we've covered in each podcast so far. For those wondering if there is a point in listening.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2007 11:23
@Raven
I don't mean you making challenges, I mean announcing who won the last DBP challenge (here is the thread) or the DBC challenge (here is the thread). And maybe what the next challenge for each will be about.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 01:57
I wasn't talking about us doing them either. Was talking about the forum run ones.. good example is the DBP one where it's all a single thread.

It's like good source code, you don't put it all in one place else it become a pain in the arse to read and take in.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 13:49
enjoy, as usual kentaree will have it up on the RSS later today

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 16:25
Ok, the feed has been update, same link as usual

Just to clarify, that link is an RSS feed (fancy name for a descriptive XML file) which you can give to your media player (Winamp and ITunes anyway, not sure about WMP) and the mediaplayer will automatically update and tell you when a new feed is added, and you can stream the podcast to listen to it.

David R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2007 18:51
* DavidR inserts a rusty nail into Kentaree's spleen *

09-f9-11-02-9d-74-e3-5b-d8-41-56-c5-63-56-88-c0
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 02:43
Alright the new podcast is almost prepped for release tomorrow, should be up around lunchtime (bst)

Again follow the link to see what we've talked about this week, and we have an added bonus of an interview with RickV.. well sorta.
We got to talk to him on msn, shame wasn't in the actual podcast.. and yeah we tried REALLY hard to keep it under an hour this time.

Unfortunately to do that we'd have to cut out the last segment on game dev tips and our topical discussion. Still think we did better than usual heh

We will have the transcript of the "interview" up by the time the podcast is released, hopefully will be able to link the reviews I'm working on as well. See you same bat time, same bat channel for release!

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 09:34
Hopefully there's less "Raven rant" this time around. I turned the last one off early because it was just Raven complaining about this, and that, etc. etc. Did anyone else feel that way too?

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2007 13:12
Yeah too much PS3 bashing... we want more geek news!

I think it should be more like:

- Annouce topic
- Discuss for a couple of minutes
- Repeat

As in....
"So there's a new Crysis video out..."
"I kind of like it"
"Yeah it reminds me of Deus Ex, but more Korean"
"I totally hate Communists"
*high five*
"Anyone think they'll be a console port?"
"What are you nuts?!"
----
"Okay, now, nVidia just released some new blah blah..."
etc.
etc.

I think that would make the whole thing faster and more interesting. Just keep rattling through them.

HeavyAmp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 03:51
I love hearing raven rant on! Its the main reason why I listen to it
More I want more!

I think I just like to hear him swear in his American accent.

Better to be dead, than to live your life afraid.
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 04:17
lol my accent is about as american as apple pie
sorry the podcast isn't up yet, but it's been a hectic day

fell asleep as soon as i got in and i've just about woken up
will get to uploading it as soon as.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 11:20
And as per usual, it'll be up on the feed as soon as Raven gets me the end product

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2007 22:16 Edited at: 7th Sep 2007 23:02
Podcast Extra (45min)

We've got an extra bit this week, erm not that the actual podcast wasn't long enough; but you can hear some of our pre-podcast ramblings.

I've also cut the podcast in to 2 sections this week.
Part 1 is 60min (as i said it would be heh) which covers the main bulk of what we have on the itinerary.

Part 2 is a further 40min on our topical discussion and game dev tips.

I'll finish uploading part 1 and post the links. The RSS as usual will be updated a bit later. Right now I'm working on the transcript for the RickV "interview".. fighting every inch with this dumbass MediaWiki markup system :p

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 18:22
Anyone experiencing slow download speed from my server?
There is some maintainance going on right now, but they said it shouldn't cause any down-time.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2007 21:59
Oh good, I like your server better. I can stream the MP3 now

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2007 06:26
Not had any time to finish the transcripting yet, been quite busy this weekend. Will have it up sometime this evening.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2007 16:04
Jeku, what problems are you having with streaming from the Devhat server?

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 11:21 Edited at: 14th Sep 2007 11:31
For those of you who might've figured out our awesomely secret naming scheme for the podcasts; then this might be old news

However for the rest of you, this weeks podcast is up.
Has been since wednesday but I like keeping a sort of schedual of Friday releases

You can as always grab it here, once Kentaree has sorted out the issues with devhat they'll be online (he said sometime later today)

This weeks is 70min, so a fairly small 50mb download (yay!)
we also for the first time have Amanda (aka Tinkergirl) on. It won't be the last time however heh

As always you can checkout what we covered in the podcast on here, and to those hoping for another game tip section this week. We felt in the interest of time we would cut it out. Apart from anything else no one has really requested anything for us to cover.

If Tinkergirl is on again sometime, might be interesting to cover some aspects of level design. Given both myself and Tinker do "Environment Engineering" as our day jobs.

Hopefully you will all let us know what you think, and please help us improve the content for your benefit. Any news you feel is important, or things you want us to cover in a discusion or game dev then send us an e-mail.

podcast@liandri.org is our official mailbox now, we'll be getting a web-based form for that up within the week.

Oh and while I've still not finished (not had time over the last week, will finish today) you can see our Interview with Rick in it's about half finished state.

Until next week, enjoy!

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 13:07
Right, the feeds have been updated aswell at the usual location. I'm still wondering what issue you're having with streaming though, as it works perfectly for me

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 13:17
http://www.devhat.net/audio/feed

RSS has been updated

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 19:31
Quote: "Jeku, what problems are you having with streaming from the Devhat server?"

Not really a problem--- just an inconvenience. When I click on the MP3 off your server, it forces me to download it then play in WinAmp. Most podcast servers I use (and from the liandri.org server), I can stream it within the browser with Quicktime. I'm not a server guy but I assume there's a flag in the Apache conf files where you can toggle this

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 22:40
Were you clicking on the "download" link? The click to play one seems to work as you want.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2007 22:48
I use the RSS feed and click 'Original Audio Source', which is just a standard link to the MP3. I prefer to use that rather than the Flash player. However, your server is the only podcast that forces me to download the MP3 when I click the link. At all others I can stream the MP3 in my browser (with the standard Quicktime plug-in I have installed).

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2007 01:49
It does it in Quicktime for me...

Your end I think.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2007 03:27
Weird--- because I regularly listen to 5 or 6 podcasts a week, and all the other ones stream in the browser at home and at work. This one only streamed from the browser when Raven put it on his server.

Please note that I'm not talking about the built-in Flash player.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2007 14:04
Probably some minor incompatibility between Server and Client.
I'm not using any form of CMS or such on my server, just plonk them on there with explorer ftp.

That said, part of why we have them both on devhat and liandri is because we're not sure how many actually listen. Oddly the number who keep listening to our first one seems to out-number those listening to the new ones each week by quite a few.

Still we have a loyal fanbase of a handful of people and that's good enough for me
They'll keep going up on both servers, apart from anything else it's about the only way I can guarentee Kentaree will get them. Something not right about a broadband connection that requires a download manager

Well anywho, hope you guys are enjoying them so far.

HeavyAmp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2007 07:19
Just posting to say I have been enjoying the podcasts and keep up the good work

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2007 08:47
Yeah, sorry about no podcast this week.
All of us were feeling pretty crappy, I've had the week off of work sick as a dog. Add to this Kenjar got both me and Kentaree addicted to Eve; and well we just thought sod it we'll take a break.

We'll be back at it again this week, probably going to be heavily Eve orientated mind as that's about all we've really kept up with heh

Still should be interesting.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2007 23:52
Are you guys still doing this?

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2007 02:21
yeah, i've just not been feeling to grand recently; ended up having my sleeping pattern all screwed up, so end up coming home from work sleeping until about 2-3am when everyone else is asleep.

no sure why the other guys haven't done the podcast without me anyway; but ho hum.
was going to record this weeks tonight, only ken wasn't on msn; so i logged in eve to talk to him .. ended up getting roped into a mission that seemed to last until everyone went to bed.

feel like i've had a wasted evening now; so freaking tired too.
hopefully i can sort them out for recording tomorrow, there's alot we've not really covered that should've been.

the guys seem so in to eve it's a little silly; probably roping eric in again this time, so heh 18+ certification pretty much guarenteed.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 00:43 Edited at: 7th Oct 2007 01:12
I just started listening today, it's well done but sound is pretty poor :/ But anyways, who plays racing sims with a joystick?

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who played overlord

The greatest multiplayer text adventure ever...
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 09:15 Edited at: 9th Oct 2007 11:09
I sent the link to Kentaree, but no idea if he uploaded it yesterday.

Been in some abject pain the last day, fell off a ladder and fell funny onto the patio below; ended up bruising my jaw and shattering one of my teeth. Dentist can't fit me in until Tuesday, so just got freaking blinding pain atm

Atleast it's clamed down from yesterday enough to eat.

[edit]

Two warnings, there is strong language from the start; and it doesn't technically start at the begining but about 15minutes in.

Just couldn't be bothered to edit something up so we had Eric singing at the begining so you got our ramblings afterwards of it.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 20:46
@Raven - You mentioned you played Stranglehold on PS3? It's not out until October 29. And then you said your Blu-Ray drive died on your PS3 so you played the pack-in movie on your PC? I thought the developers said the movie will only work on the PS3? It's locked to that Blu-Ray player only, apparently.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 21:16 Edited at: 7th Oct 2007 22:32
Double posting---

I have to say I'm disappointed in the decline of quality in the podcasts. What started out as informative reviews and interesting conversation has turned into two guys complaining left right and centre about 99% of the games they talk about. Even games they haven't played. And it's "F--- this, and F--- that sh**, and look at this F----'n game, it F---'n sucks, what an F----'n joke".

EDIT:

I removed the rest of the rant to not be so harsh.

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2007 22:24
Yeah it's become a bit of a personal soapbox...

I was hoping as it went on it was going to get shorter and more community orientated, unfortunely it went the other way.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 08:27
Quote: "@Raven - You mentioned you played Stranglehold on PS3? It's not out until October 29. And then you said your Blu-Ray drive died on your PS3 so you played the pack-in movie on your PC? I thought the developers said the movie will only work on the PS3? It's locked to that Blu-Ray player only, apparently."

Actually in the UK it isn't out until the 30th November, 29th October for the US. Playstation Store however released it for press a week ago. ^_^

Yes they claimed it was HDMI locked to the PS3, but there have been a number of HDMI region locked BluRay that my player can run on my PC. Probably doesn't play if you set a region, or on BluRay Players. Found that with normal DVDs as well, provided I never set a region they run fine.. as soon as you lock and they'll bitch you don't have the correct region for the disc.

Still I did mention the actual podcast didn't start for a little bit in (about 18minutes), so ya know thanks for focusing almost entirely on part of the pre-cast chat.

It's only still there, because I've been feeling crap and didn't want to spend ages editing just to get Eric's lil singing session.

The podcast itself was 45min-ish this week.
Makes it the shortest yet.
15minutes of that is on the Q&A, which unless I'm mistaken is about the only thing that's really happened this week.

It was totally unstructured, which was noted at the start.

Not being funny, but Jeku you're getting a bit pathetic recently.
Almost every single post you make another snide comment against me, seriously don't know what the hell is your problem but give it a rest.

There was three of us who did the podcast this week, and the only one you've picked out by name of what you didn't like was me.

A post the other day you said you've never seen anything from me during your time here, is complete bullcrap because I've shown you things I've worked on over messenger before .. yet instead you sit there make some public stink cause I haven't shown much on the forums for 2years, but prior to that I've shown a huge amount of things. Yet like most who end up turning on me, you take present situations apply it to my entire time around just to take a shot at me.

It's getting beyond a joke. You have a problem with me, then fine.. but be sodding mature about it and leave it at the door.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 10:29 Edited at: 8th Oct 2007 10:31
Get off your high horse, Raven. I don't have a problem with anyone on the forum, specifically. I do, however, have issues with your podcast, and I deleted most of the details of my original post.

Quote: "I've shown you things I've worked on over messenger before"

The only thing you've ever shown me is the same thing you posted in another thread-- your spaces blog. But ever since I've known you you've talked about this and that and the projects you are working on, are almost completed, or have finished. And as you can see I'm not the only one who has never seen a screenie of your work.

By the way, I know that it is not my right to see your work, and not anyone's right to see anything. You don't have to prove anything to me, or anyone. I was just gently poking fun at you, but if you don't see it that way then I apologize.

Quote: "you sit there make some public stink cause I haven't shown much on the forums for 2years"

Public stink? Hardly. I just lightly mentioned that you're one of the few longtime members who have, well, nothing concrete to show. It's not a "stink"-- far from that. My life isn't focused on this forum 100% of the time. I don't let myself get too involved--- it's just my hobby and I have many other things that I worry about. You shouldn't let this get to you.

And about the podcast--- well, you obviously can't take criticism toward the things you do. That's fine, but on this forum we are allowed to give opinions. I didn't trash you or anyone else.

Quote: "Almost every single post you make another snide comment against me"

Care to point them out? I've made over 8k posts. Probably 5 or 6 have been about you in the entirety of my time here

Quote: "There was three of us who did the podcast this week, and the only one you've picked out by name of what you didn't like was me."

I don't see your name in my post, so please take off the tinfoil hat. This is not the best place to vent your frustration at me personally, and if I have issues with you personally I'll tell them to you over MSN. You know where to find me.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 13:24
Quote: "This is not the best place to vent your frustration at me personally"

I agree, best if this thread be kept for the podcast itself. As to your suggestions, I'm going to re-listen to the podcast now, and see how we can improve. We've been getting kind of slack with regards to preparations recently, which would explain our lack of serious content (not excuse it), so we'll have to work hard on that.
Once again though, any suggestions for content are welcome, and will make our life easier trying to find content.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2007 19:59
It's sort of hard to understand you guys sometimes, you guys should talk more succinctly, but other than that, you guys tend to stay on topic and make generally valid points.

The greatest multiplayer text adventure ever...
HeavyAmp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 04:19
fight! fight! fight! ...... Oh sorry

I'm not too fussed about the language. The only problem I thought was that Eric kept on distracting you from the actual discussion and kept getting you off topic although at times he was funny.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2007 11:10
A new re-edit

Latest Podcast

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2007 22:17
I'll be uploading the latest podcast, tomorrow morning.
Would've done it Friday but got busy with HL2:EP1, and felt it wasn't right to upload it until Kentaree was able to upload to Devhat. His internet at home is currently down so that's the reason for it not going up until tomorrow.

Not sure if we'll do one this week, pretty much for the same reason.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2007 00:35
Unstickied, but updated to keep it on first page

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Unstickied, but updated to keep it on first page"

Why unsticky it?
Also this podcast is really cool.
OFF TOPIC: