Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / TGC / DevHat Podcast

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 12:53
Quote: "Why unsticky it?
Also this podcast is really cool.
OFF TOPIC:
I'm the 100th poster!"

No idea why it was unstickied, but it kinda put me off wanting to upload the new and possibly last podcast.
We're all still talking about it, but personally I've had enough of putting quite a bit of my own freetime in to doing these to get almost nothing but grief.

Seriously, enough quite frankly is enough.
Just isn't fun doing it anymore, simply because of the feedback.

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 13:42
I don't entirely agree with you there Raven, the majority of feedback has been extremely positive, and we did drop the ball on the one we got negative feedback on.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 18:49
There was no ulterior motives. It was unstickied because:

1. It contained off-topic personal debates.
2. The Podcast itself contains lots of profanities

You need to bear in mind that stickied posts have a bearing on the public perception of TGC. In a way, it's endorsing the content. Imagine a new visitor seeing a sticky with arguments in, and the podcast it is publicising being unsuitable for the potential audience.

It should "float" of it's own accord as new podcasts come out and they are added to the thread. It was part of a "what should we unsticky" discussion, and no Mods objected to unstickying this, as well as a couple of others. The FPSC boards have had a serious trim.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 22:20
Maybe the thread should just be renamed to Devhat Podcast, as TGC would be better off not being associated with such a vulgar podcast.

Don't get me wrong, all of the podcasts I listen to have swearing, but not every 10 seconds. TGC as far as I know is a family company.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2007 23:25
yeah fine whatever, as i said.. i've had enough

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No idea why it was unstickied, but it kinda put me off wanting to upload the new and possibly last podcast"

Don't make it the last podcast

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Oct 2007 19:47
we might continue the podcast itself, just not sure right now.
Daniel won't be doing it if we do, simply because he no longer can.
Hopefully Kentaree will have his internet sorted soon, but not sure about that either.

There is a good chance that changes will take place if we restart it, but they won't be along the lines of what Daniel suggested with us doing updates on the Eve alliance we have.

I have enjoyed the changes that have taken place since it began, and feel there is still some way to go. Could be some new regulars, have more orientation about games in general and development software.. but feel that far less reliance on tgc products.

Still this one that is still being put together, will certainly be the last one for a while. It took me about a month to put together the podcast in the first place, all the people involved, how to structure, all of us getting used to trying to be casual and open enough to talk without making it all seem like our mindless drivel.

Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 11:45
Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2007 18:00
I'd like to know, were all our podcasts that bad, or was it just that one that people found particularly offensive? I don't remember us being particularly bad usually, but the comments seem to say otherwise

5867Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'd like to know, were all our podcasts that bad, or was it just that one that people found particularly offensive? I don't remember us being particularly bad usually, but the comments seem to say otherwise"

To be honest you did use foul language!
But who really cares!
We all know the swear words

Zombie 20
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 02:40
Yes but while I don't think kids are gonna listen to your casts for more than five min because they won't be interested, what would a parent do if you heard foul language coming from the podcast..being downloaded from TGC's site, it looks bad on TGC and it could ruin our rep here, thats why its wrong. All the other ones before were really nicely done and I wish it would head back to that track because I do like them.

Also I mean no offense when saying kids wouldn't listen to your cast, its just the language could turn off parents from wanting their kids to go to TGC.

Dr. Mannete- OMG It's Zombie's voice, it's so Suave!

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 02:42
That last one had some really good bits of game design dicussion, I thought the beginning was a really off though, make sure you practice the opening before you start recording (also it doesn't need so much music)...

-= Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals =-
Raven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 08:24
Quote: "I thought the beginning was a really off though, make sure you practice the opening before you start recording (also it doesn't need so much music)..."

Shake-y start is down to a number of things, mostly bloody Daniel.
Might upload what went on before hands; and you'll see what I mean.
Suggested topics were in an msn chat with myself, martinos and pieter.. The lovely chap who decided after telling me he quite several days before hand, and continued to repeat decided he was going to join in.
It really threw me off quite a bit, especially how much he kept talking through each damn announcement take. By the end of it I gave up and decided to go with something half-way decent and completely forgot what we were going to talk about.

Though as for the music, personally I want to get rid of it all entirely. You either have to have it long enough to be worth it and for people to recognise; or just not at all. I want to get rid of it, then again no doubt we'll get complaints of not having any again.

to be honest, apart from the first one; we've tried to change and incorporate things people wanted, and has been noted they've progressively gone downhill. if this is done again, frankly what'll happen is I'll go back to our original concept and layout.

I liked it, and from the hits and comments made everyone else did too. Frankly trying to juggle what everyone wants, just ended up stressing me too damn much.. also never really appreciated Daniels' constant attempts to take over how it was run either.

Every other week I got either "I'm going to do my own podcast" or "I'm quitting", which frankly irritated me; but there was no one else at the time who could really contribute regularly or could be trusted to turn up when we set a time. Another factor that truely stressed me out to begin with.

The podcasts were suppose to be a couple of us, reporting on things to do with TGC, DevHat, Games and Game Development. New tools people might be interested in, objective reviews on new games from a developer standpoint so to speak, etc..
I tried several months in a row to get through to Batvink about news, which I was completely ignored by until he asked if we had any news he could use.

Been constantly ignored by several developers, although the E.L.E. team has now got back to me about a preview demo - so waiting for confirmation we can preview it from their publisher.

Still it's stuff like that which just got on my nerves about it all. So much work was put in to trying to get more and more TGC information and the community just didn't seem to care, or even worse we'd get someone who'd be really all excited about it then just bail at the last minute.

Somehow like, those of us working on it have nothing better to do in our free time than to put in all of the work to chase people up to get things for it.

I thought after it appeared to be quite popular (about a month in we had over 100 downloads and a further 50 plays per week) that it might be talked about a bit.. yet no. Very little response here, no feedback e-mail.. I've yet to see someone on a thread go "Hey your game was in the podcast!"

Instead it's all been a fairly big fat nothing.
It is really appreciated those who've listened and followed these, but seriously; if it's just going to be a couple of people who actually care about this carrying on, we might as well just setup my teamspeak server to be public; have a few moderators on it, and post up the news for everyone to gossip about.

I mean seriously the whole "language thing", we've done what.. two podcasts where language was fairly bad and really noticable. Both times we've very openly told you this was the case, and both times EricT was a guest.

While yes, I know my mouth is hardly clean.. that's the language I use most of the time; and in daily situations it can get far far worse. What's more I highly doubt any children will be listening, Teenagers perhaps but even then fgs you heard the language they use?
A parent might not believe their child swears or such, but c'mon.. even EricT would blush at the language teenagers use today.

What's more is unless the parent is actively sitting there listening with them when they click the link from this very forum; they'd never know it was even associated past us actually providing TGC news; which seems to be mentioned that we don't do enough of.

Past age-gating each podcast, all we can do is post a warning in both the podcast (which we've done in each where it's got bad) and on the forum. What more do you expect us to do, talk like sodding saints? Sorry, but I'm not a childrens presenter and we're discussing as we go.

If you want a completely clean podcast, then do one yourselves.
If this podcast restarts, it will NEVER be scripted, and there will never be a 100% clean podcast. Jesus even Daniel cusses in them, which I found ironic given he said he wouldn't do them anymore because of the language.

It's stupid how some words are considered acceptable while others aren't. At the end of the day I will always find words like "Retard" can be far more offensive than the word "Duck" (with the D replaced with an F)... yet if I said Retard, while being labeled a biggot is still considered acceptable language.

Hell people have a problem with words like Hell, Damn, Jesus, etc. To me while they can seem a tad blasphimus are not considered bad words by the general public.

So for some reason there is a fine line between what is good language, acceptable language and bad language. You know what screw-it.. to me it's just sodding language, and people can complain all they damn well like; but it doesn't change the fact that's true.

While I may have written that with fairly soft-language, trust me in my head stronger words are used; and would be what I'd say.
And you know what the stronger words to me have a valid place in everyday language above those softer ones simply because they constue far better the level of passion or such you have with something rather than feeling fairly feeble given how society has placed them within this realm.

Jesus, kids wouldn't even know words are good or bad unless you tell them such. Why is it children can say "Sex", and it's just an uncomfortable situation but they say the F-word and suddenly it's like someone just killed your dad in-front of you.

It's the same damn word, only one has more damn passion behind it due to how it's integrated into society.

Testicles is perfectly fine language, but Bollocks isn't.
It's all retarded double standards on things that are just words, and while they could be used as offensive words; quite frankly I could use clean language to be FAR MORE offensive than just rolling off a string of bad ones.

Get the hell over it. It's dumbass Politically Correct world gone mad.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 08:35
Nobody has a problem with the language if it's not associated with TGC--- that's what we're getting at Like I said before, every single podcast I listen to, aside from Major Nelson's, has swearing.

Anyways, going to listen to this new one now.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 11:40
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Kent comes from Ireland after all, he must be really refraining

Kentaree
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 16:01
I'm using a high-tech solution for that, there's a leprechaun cutting out the swearwords when I talk. When some do get through, it means he's too busy gulping down his whisky

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 18:30 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 18:38
Quote: "I tried several months in a row to get through to Batvink about news, which I was completely ignored by until he asked if we had any news he could use."

You never contacted me, you never asked for any news - ever.

I never asked you for news - ever.

You MSN'ed me once when Daniel told you it was a slow news month. That was the result of a conversation between me and a TGC employee, not me and the podcast team.

Don't apportion blame on me, or on TGC. Your podcast has no association with either. I featured the podcast in the newsletter without request from you or anybody else on the podcast as it seemed newsworthy at the time, and the thanks I get in return is being a blamehound for your failure.

Looking back at this thread, the only person I can see as being the touchpaper for the downward spiral is you. It is you who uses the foul language in the podcast, it is you that keeps stating they are quitting and it is you that is blaming everyone else.

I feel sorry for Kentaree who has done his upmost to keep this thread afloat, positive and to get feedback on how things can be improved.

And yes, I have noob slapped you, your comments are potentially damaging to the company whose forum you are using.

Daniel TGC
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 19:08 Edited at: 23rd Oct 2007 19:38
I stopped doing it because my brother's still got my podcast equipment, he was doing some kind of demo reel with it before he moved to Kent, of course he's not posted it back yet!

Yep, the show was somewhat unstructured, I made alot of suggestions, but I don't think anyone can claim I tried to take over I beleive you'll find Raven's voice predominate on all of them. Unless you mean the combining of at EVE Online podcast with the DevHat Debreif. That idea died quickly.

As for releasing of recordings. Anyone who it might offend I apologise now. It's really just idle chat, venting and ranting. Alot of it's certainly not something I'd ever say publicly and in all honesty. (I say this because I can't honestly remember what we talked about pre-show!) I certainly considered anything pre-show to be a private chat.

In reguards to the swaring, this is a 13+ forum community so I didn't really feel comfitable with that aspect of it I will happily admit.

In reguards to Ravens political correctness rant. Sorry I started to read it but honestly couldn't get through it all. I assume it can be summed up as "censoring language = bad".

One last thing. If you think back Raven, almost every week, Kentaree said he was tired, you said you where nackered and I wondered why we where doing it for 12 people and a def dog! But honestly, that's normal! Shifts at the hospital radio station where the same. Alot of people complaining about having to do it!

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2007 20:40
Quote: "while being labeled a biggot is still considered acceptable language."

That is simple.If you are prejudiced or racist you are a biggot.There is nothing annacaptable and/or politically incorrect about calling out a biggot in my opinion.We have too damned many in the world.

Now to on-topic matters...
I have a hard time reading some of these posts and believeing what I am seeing (and that isn't just because I could have read a novel faster than that long post of Raven's).
I thought these forums were a place where you could come and hang out and have a good time.
Raven,
Irregardless of the podcast and such you have reached a whole new low?Who the hell else are you going to blame for your problems?
How many people have you called out,insulted or blamed for this.And it was a podcast.It's not like you couldn't have went on with your life and started another one.
Considering your behavior and your acitons I can safely state two things.
1. I don't think you will have to worry about anyone doing a damned thing for you for a long,looooooooooong time.
2. Your time at these forums is growing short.You screw up again and I will pull the plug personally.
You're not four.Get your head out of your backside and straighten up or go the heck away.This is your last chance.If you don't like it call all of your invisible friends or bash me on the irc channel (which is a popular thing to do),send me nasty e-mails (for my spam folder),throw a fit,whatever.I just don't give a damn anymore.You refuse to show TGC,its employees,its moderators,its customers,its forum members or anyone else the same basic respect that every human being deserves.you are on my last nerve.Don't push your luck.

Please have mercy and use the search function.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 20:29:03
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 20:29:03