Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 01:33
Quote: "Looks good! BUT...

I dont get why the lights are so close to the ground in the first screenies.
"

The lights are like that because, I tried to get the hotel feel going, and ive been to a couple of hotels that had there lights like that. But thanks guys!

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Hm...I'm not sure if its consistent to the theme of a zombie horror type thing. The lack of enemies, even if you are just trying to get good screenshots, makes it look worringly actionless. The lighting is moderately well done, with a few being too far to the right or left of the light source entity, but so far it looks pretty good. However, the corpse impaled on the board looks slightly odd, also because of the question of how he came to be like that. Zombies aren't either smart or strong enough to impale a corpse on a wooden board. However, you don't usually stop and think about such details when playing a game, so yeah. So far, it looks pretty good. Nice work!

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 02:23 Edited at: 19th Nov 2007 04:47
@Tom0001

I guess the Zombies aren't the zombies that everybody thinks of. Im trying to get the zombies that are strong and smart, but not as smart as people. You know the ones that impale people with boards. lol j/k

I dont really get what you mean when you say, can you please explain this?

Quote: "
The lighting is moderately well done, with a few being too far to the right or left of the light source entity,"

Thanks alot, this is the stuff I am exactly looking for!

Edit: 3 new pics! 1st ones here

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 04:47
New Pic 2

Attachments

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 04:47
New pic 3

Attachments

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 11:46
nice looking screen, one thing i don't like is the ceiling, i don't think it should be the same texture as the floor, maybe try the concrete floor for the ceiling

HMMMMMMM
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 12:42
Quote: "nice looking screen, one thing i don't like is the ceiling, i don't think it should be the same texture as the floor, maybe try the concrete floor for the ceiling"

Alright I could try that.

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 21:01
show us when you change it, i may have changed my mind lol

HMMMMMMM
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 21:22
I would but before I change it, I want to make sure more people would like that to. Im not trying to just go against what you said I just want to get the best solution. So if I do change it I will post a screen shot.

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 22:39
yeah thats fine, after all its your game! do what you want with it, thats just my opinion im sure everyone else things otherwise lol but as long as you reacted to the criticism, too many people try to only look for good criticism instead of listening to constructive criticism. Im glad your not one of those people

HMMMMMMM
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2007 22:49
Quote: "yeah thats fine, after all its your game! do what you want with it, thats just my opinion im sure everyone else things otherwise lol but as long as you reacted to the criticism, too many people try to only look for good criticism instead of listening to constructive criticism. I'm glad your not one of those people "

Thanks, Well really I don't care what people say, bad or good it just makes me put my game together better. So I influence you to say the bad stuff about my game, because then I have the chance to fix it.

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 00:24
Alright I have a question, I want to make a hud, like text or something appear on the screen, so i make a picture, make a script, but then I dont understand what im supposed to do with the script. Where do I place it? I want to make it so when i walk up to a screen it tells you something.

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 00:57
put a trigger zone just next to the screen, then add teh script to that trigger zone and it should work

HMMMMMMM
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2007 01:10
Quote: "put a trigger zone just next to the screen, then add teh script to that trigger zone and it should work"

Ok, thank you

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 17:24 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 04:12
Sorry for bumping,and double posting. I just wanted to let you guys know that the demo is about done, just give me week and I will probably have it posted on here. Oh and by the way Happy Thanksgiving

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2007 17:27
good stuff i was hopping to see more from this

HMMMMMMM
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 04:14 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 04:17

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3- Stairs of doom

Pic 4

Pic 5

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 05:01
What version of FPSC are you using?

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 05:03 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 12:20
Quote: "What version of FPSC are you using?"

1.03 sorry cant upgrade, because of vista. Darn Vista, dont know why it doesnt let me upgrade, it will let me but then none of the lights work they just light up my hands. Thats it.!!!
But really thats the only bug I have with Vista.

If anyone else has vista and it works fine please send me the files so I can copy them and see if it works on mine. That would be nice, thanks!

Edit: One more Pic

humm very wierd. I made a backup copy of fpsc creator installed the update and now it works. The other times I tried it just didnt work. Finally I can update.

Attachments

Dr Parsnips
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 13:24
wow! looks great! the only thing i was going to say was the lighting on the stairs looks a bit off (pic 3) but that im sure would have been sorted out by the newer version of fpsc! great job

HMMMMMMM
Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 13:56 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 13:57
I like the strong light/dark contrasts, but you might want to try using some coloured tint to your lights. White lights are just so... used, put some yellow/green/blue tint there and it'll look a lot nicer.
Try for example CCCC99, 99FF99 or 6699CC and see how it looks

We've seen the world burn! We've seen the sun eclipse from the smoke of the burning dead!
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 14:14 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 15:17
Quote: "I like the strong light/dark contrasts, but you might want to try using some coloured tint to your lights. White lights are just so... used, put some yellow/green/blue tint there and it'll look a lot nicer.
Try for example CCCC99, 99FF99 or 6699CC and see how it looks "

Very good idea, and thanks. I was thinking the same thing to.

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 15:17
3 new pics(these ones have some color)

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 18:15
Great news guys, Im about 80% done with the demo, Im updating the first post as your reading this. Also 5 new pics

Hope you like them, I know there dark, but for some reason they are always a tad bit darker in the screens, then the actual game?

Troy Chambers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 18:32
Pretty tight man, pretty tight.

PHOENIX, an up-coming game by Troy Chambers!!!
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 18:53
Quote: "Pretty tight man, pretty tight."

Thank you Troy

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 18:57
The new screens look really nice

We've seen the world burn! We've seen the sun eclipse from the smoke of the burning dead!
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 19:02
Quote: "The new screens look really nice "

Thank you but..... can you guys give me any crit that is bad about my game because I need to know this stuff. It really helps make your game better. Thanks Guys.

Corky

Ehetyz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 19:12 Edited at: 24th Nov 2007 19:14
Ok, one thing that comes to mind is that the areas are a bit object sparse... You seem to be using ambience 0/1 (=totally dark?) so that can be used to help. Don't light everything up, only light certain spots in areas. This enables you to control what player is able to see... Now, instead of having to fill up a room, you have to fill these lit up parts, you can make levels seem richer/more stacked without loss of framerate. It's a trick I use all the time in Parasite Q to create an illusion of realistic surroundings.

Edit: And use lots of small lights. That way it's easier to control what gets lit and what doesn't.

Yoad Fototototo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2007 22:30
NO!
arg, "cold" was one of my ideas for a game title! oh, well, I probably would have only gotten around to setting the player start point before I saw something shiney and- oh, look, something shiney...

Avoid eye contact...
...if no eyes, avoid all contact.
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 20:15 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 20:56
Quote: "Ok, one thing that comes to mind is that the areas are a bit object sparse... You seem to be using ambience 0/1 (=totally dark?) so that can be used to help. Don't light everything up, only light certain spots in areas. This enables you to control what player is able to see... Now, instead of having to fill up a room, you have to fill these lit up parts, you can make levels seem richer/more stacked without loss of framerate. It's a trick I use all the time in Parasite Q to create an illusion of realistic surroundings.

Edit: And use lots of small lights. That way it's easier to control what gets lit and what doesn't. "

Great ideas, and thanks

Quote: "NO!
arg, "cold" was one of my ideas for a game title! oh, well, I probably would have only gotten around to setting the player start point before I saw something shiney and- oh, look, something shiney..."

lol, sorry.

Edit: Pic, oh and yeah there is a sign there, it says out of order you just cant read it until you get up close.

Attachments

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 25th Nov 2007 20:56 Edited at: 25th Nov 2007 21:05
New Pic, Very Plain

Edit: Oh one thing I need help with, I put a light in the next room, well it makes the door a different color. How do I make it show it doesn't show through the door.

Attachments

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 26th Nov 2007 23:15 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 05:08
Post Removed.

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 2nd Dec 2007 23:13 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 05:07
Post Removed

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 05:10
Good News and Bad news guys. I should probably have the demo out by tommorow I hope- that was the good news.

The bad news is that people with an 7000 card or higher will only be able to play. Ive tried everything and the frame rate wont higher.

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking good Corky, Looking good.
I noticed you mentioned crit, and I cant really add any.
However you could try moving your lights away a bit from the wall, might help not show up the segment joins. Maybe. Just an idea.
Apart from that, looking forward to your demo, even though I may not be able to play it.
Keep up the good work, I like it alot.

Working on a new title, planning in progress.
Endless Fps Team
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 07:21 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 07:23
Hey Corky...Niice game...Why didnt i ever look at this game before...Oh well...Ill help you, i beta test it for you, ill go to the other thread to download it later when it is up...

Here are my specs

AMD 4400 Core duo (2.21 GHz)
3.07 GIgs
e-Ge-Force 8800 GTS 640 MB
Vista Ultimate OS

EDITo you have S4Reals flashlight...?

http://endlessfpsteam.tripod.com/
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 12:33 Edited at: 9th Dec 2007 16:35
Quote: "Hey Corky...Niice game...Why didnt i ever look at this game before...Oh well...Ill help you, i beta test it for you, ill go to the other thread to download it later when it is up...

Here are my specs

AMD 4400 Core duo (2.21 GHz)
3.07 GIgs
e-Ge-Force 8800 GTS 640 MB
Vista Ultimate OS

EDITo you have S4Reals flashlight...?
"

Yeah I do have the flashlight and it looks good with the specs.

Sorry, there is no need for beta testers anymore.

Oh by the way, the link is up now!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=119509&b=25

Endless Fps Team
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 19:32
OKay ill download and tell u what i think...is there enemies and weapons, or for now just free play...?

http://endlessfpsteam.tripod.com/
Corky
User Banned
Posted: 9th Dec 2007 19:46
Yeah, its just a demo thats the only thing different

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 10th Dec 2007 01:18 Edited at: 11th Dec 2007 11:53
New Pictures of Level 2

I also Redid The first Level, here are some new screens

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 11th Dec 2007 03:40
I made a new website for this game, theres not alot on it right now but its a start.

http://cold.8tt.org/

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 23:05
Corky,

No offense is intended from what I am about to tell you mate.

This looks very disorganized in oh so many ways. I shall start with the lighting.

Other than being over dramatic the light placement is very sloppy at the moment. The color of the lights have me a bit confused as well because they do not make sense.

Try to soften the lights up a bit, you can also shorten the range that they effect. The ambient brightness is way to low (assuming that it is at 0). Even if you have a small night light plugged in to the wall you are still going to be able to see in the dark, pitch black is just that pitch black or the absence of a light source. You clearly have plenty of light sources in the images.

Do not be afraid to use fog as a haze, when you are in a dark room things will appear hazy because the human eye works much like a set of night vision goggles (Using the ambient or remaining light to form a picture of the surrounding areas) this will also help break up some of the hard light lines that you have.

You should stick to a specific light color. By using one color you add unity and will have an even look o the level. when was the last time you saw a green light just chilling in a room like that?

The entity placement is very sloppy, there is no method to the madness. Looks like you just threw stuff in a room hit test game and grabbed a few screenshots from it. I would seriously draw up a detailed level layout and stick to it as much as possible.

That is all I am going to say for now, but overall it's not very impressive but it could be with the right amount of effort..

Cheers,
Dave

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 04:03
@ Reality Forgotten

About the lights and how its dark, I took care of that and the lights are pretty much the same there whiteish-yellowish. As for the fog I have already implanted that.

About the entity's, yeah in the demo I kind of did slop it together and it had nothing to do with the story at all. Dumb mistake by me.

I do not take this in a bad way, I take it as a way to help me improve, and thanks.

<<Xbox also broken pff
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 21:02
Quote: "As for the fog I have already implanted that."

I think you mean implemented...

I'm sorry for not getting that shoot switch script to you yet, I've been really busy, only posting around here when I got a little free time. I probably won't have time until next weekend (not this coming weekend).

Corky
User Banned
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 21:10
Quote: "I think you mean implemented...

I'm sorry for not getting that shoot switch script to you yet, I've been really busy, only posting around here when I got a little free time. I probably won't have time until next weekend (not this coming weekend). "

Thats ok, I do not need it anymore, I found a work around. You can still send it to me when you get it done. But thanks anyway. Oh and yeah I did mean implemented.

<<Xbox also broken pff
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 21:44
Shouldn't the laptop screen emit white light?

[img]
[/img] Check out the Elite OPS Terrorstike thread in the showcase.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 21:58
Quote: "Thats ok, I do not need it anymore, I found a work around. You can still send it to me when you get it done."

Well in that case, I will just wait until I need to make it.

Tech
Years of Service
User Offline
i must say this look very nice, i downloaded it to try it but i can't its all messed up (view screenshot)

Attachments

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2008 22:18
That's a problem with your graphics card. I'm guessing you have an onboard graphics card, right?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:36:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:36:28