Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Final Exodus : Online

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2007 18:50
Amazingz.

I love the idea of smashed up planets. Those are always cool.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 14:25 Edited at: 13th Dec 2007 14:26
Quote: "Is it just me, or can I see the stars through the planet?"

Yes, because the planet was wireframed to show the tessellation.

Anyway I have a small update, I've been learning HLSL shaders for the past few days and have converted my atmosphere shader to HLSL(from ASM) as well as adding a lighting falloff map(doesn't use true atmospheric scattering, but my method is fast and looks pretty good). In addition to this, planetary rings now receive shadows from the host planet, I will expand this soon so that it casts the atmospherically filtered penumbra colours, and if you didn't notice in the below pic planets now have oblateness(Equatorial Radius/Polar radius).

Comparison between my current WIP Saturn(top) and a Cassini photo(bottom):

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 18:01
That is really phenomenal and I use that word very sparingly. Do your rings cast shadows?

I have followed this project quite a bit, but haven't posted until now (I don't think), this thread really deserves a lot more attention. I am curious about your planet. Is that demonstrating scaled LOD for texturing and/or polycount? If so, is this something you developed yourself?

Support the indie!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2007 18:06
Very, very impressive. Graphical quality resembles the Infinity engine a bit, and that's good stuff!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
The two posts above me said as much as I have to say.

Really, really awsome work, Dark Coder. Keep up the good work.

Darknes, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 00:40
Can't wait to play this, dude. Looks superb.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 03:34 Edited at: 14th Dec 2007 03:35
Quote: "Do your rings cast shadows?"

They do now!

Quote: "I am curious about your planet. Is that demonstrating scaled LOD for texturing and/or polycount? If so, is this something you developed yourself?"

The LOD is all generated in real-time, on the wireframe image up a few posts the triangle count is written under the current camera velocity, you can see the triangle count of the closest planet/moon (20,168) this value changes in real-time as you move to and from the planet. You can better see the tessellation in the pictures above the wireframe one, there I used a debug texture which shows the vertex number order and you can easily see the amount of faces.

I created all of the code myself, however it's loosely based on the methods used in this article: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2074.asp.

Quote: "Graphical quality resembles the Infinity engine a bit, and that's good stuff!"

Thanks, I actually used the same method of generating the planet to ring shadows that he did(spying on his dev blogs).

Planetary rings casting shadows:

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 05:21
Quote: "Thanks, I actually used the same method of generating the planet to ring shadows that he did(spying on his dev blogs)."

It didn't surprise me to read that. Such a pretty space engine can only be inspired by Infinity or a insane fetish for pretty graphics .

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 05:46
How did you accomplish the Planetary self-ambience/shine as you see here?

Support the indie!
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 07:11
Quote: "How did you accomplish the Planetary self-ambience/shine as you see here?"

I'm using a modified version of Ninja Matt's hologram shader, I ported it to HLSL(though I believe he ported his from a HLSL shader that does the same thing) and added support for an atmospheric falloff map(planar projected to the UV Coord1).

The hologram shader itself is almost ideal for an atmosphere as the texture is applied to the object based on its angle to the camera, so what appears as an atmospheric halo from a distance will look the same up close.

These are the two images I use for my Saturn atmosphere (generated on the fly):

Atmospheric density map:

Atmospheric falloff(shadow) map

The latter is required because atmospheres unlike solid static objects can have different lighting conditions based on the radius of the atmosphere to the planet's radius, the larger this gap the larger the falloff distance between light and dark, plus planets usually have denser atmospheres around the equator(assuming it rotates) so this allows you to simulate that.

TEH_CODERER
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 10:25
Hats off to you mate! All-in-all this is some very impressive stuff!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 21:00
I don't think it looks good with the rings casting shadows...

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 21:02
I think it looks strange also, but apart from that it looks awesome.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 21:11 Edited at: 14th Dec 2007 21:12
Well good or not it's more realistic, I fixed the atmosphere and shadow angles from the last shot(and used 2xAA), I posted this pic on the shader coding thread too:

Compared to a Nasa picture of Saturn of a similar shadowing angle(I cropped, flipped and rotated it from the original):

Alquerian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 21:53
I think that the shadows look great, I think the planet (and the rings) just need a little self-illumination so they aren't completely black when in a shadow.

Support the indie!
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 22:02
The shadows are near perfect. Anyone saying they look odd definitely hasn't studies planet photos .

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2007 23:28
Quote: "Anyone saying they look odd definitely hasn't studies planet photos"

That is correct, I haven't studies (sic) planet photos. That is the reason it looks odd to me, because I'm not used to seeing it. It still looks cool though.

Tempest (DBP/DBCe)
Multisync V1 (DBP/DBCe)
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2007 00:18
Sigh, I haven't slept for 48hrs now, once more this week. Don't hit me on my writing :p.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 12:19
Update time!

I've been working on a new ship, the texture isn't finished but it's more or less there:

Here's a shot of saturn's rings, as you get closer they appear to be comprised of dense particles, I will eventually add actual asteroid meshes that randomly float around there too.

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 13:09
This looks amazing! Nothing bad to say.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 13:12
Darkcoder...

You are EXCELLENT CODER! And modeller.. You will become good talented programmer. This is just amazing :E

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Just... so... awsome!

Keep up the good work!

And by the way, is there any demo comming out soon? Does not have to have an functional mp part, just so we can fly around in your awsome universe and withness it with our own eyes!

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 14:49
Hi DC,
your work is excellent.
I can see that your skills as an artist have improved greatly as well as your modelling capabilities.
I can see also (as you said) that you are having an superb background in game architecture and design too!. In your work i can appreciate the delicacy of a well developed structure of a game with aspects that can turn into a marvelous game. I have a question thought, have you developed game balance already?, if you haven't, i would like to be of help to you in this part of the architecture. I'm curious also in the way you developed the architecture so far.

Keep it up.
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 17:59
Any idea on the scale of that new ship? Like compared to a human, would they be a speck?

That opening at the end is ginormouse, is it like a docking bay?

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 18:48
Thanks for the comments!

Quote: "is there any demo comming out soon? Does not have to have an functional mp part, just so we can fly around in your awsome universe and withness it with our own eyes!"

Nothing planned just yet but once I have something that's playable with more to do that look around and fly in circles pretending to be shooting players I'll upload a build.

Quote: "I have a question thought, have you developed game balance already?"

What do you mean by balance? Ship/Weapon/Projectile stats and such? Because currently weapons don't do any damage as I haven't implemented ammo/crystal types and stats for all items is easily editable, but this won't be required until I have something playable online to be able to test ships against.

Quote: "Any idea on the scale of that new ship? Like compared to a human, would they be a speck?"

The Vigour is 593.7M from tip to tail, You can see the bridge in the top pic(top right) and can imagine the size of one.

Here's a current fleet breakdown:

Quote: "That opening at the end is ginormouse, is it like a docking bay?"

It's a ram scoop, however almost all ships will have the ability to launch drones so it could double up as one. I'm trying to keep subsystems out of my ship hull designs as it would be best to have a bare hull and players just add parts to it, but from a design perspective making ships without engines / hangars is quite hard, so I may just give certain ships built in subsystems.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2007 19:25 Edited at: 29th Dec 2007 19:26
Quote: "Nothing planned just yet but once I have something that's playable with more to do that look around and fly in circles pretending to be shooting players I'll upload a build."

I wouldn´t have anything against flying around in circles at the moment... would maybe not be very fun, but it could serve as an demonstration of the scale of the game...

Ok, I confess that is just me being eger to try the game out!

Cannot wait for that uploaded build. But still, take your time and do everything as good as possible.

EDIT:

Like that picture of the ship sizes! Make me feel like they are small... but I hardly think they are .

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2007 00:52
Goodness... I normally try to offer constructive criticism in WIP threads, since "omg this is teh best game evvaaar!" isn't very helpful, but, I mean, wow... I can't think of any. This is just stunning. Keep at it!

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
Visigoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2008 07:35
@Darkcoder

I just watched your videos and like everyone else, I'm speechless. It's absolutely incredible what you are doing here. Everything looks just fantastic, and really shows what an obviously very talented person can do.
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, this takes DBPro to an entierly new level.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2008 11:36 Edited at: 10th Jan 2008 11:37
Hi DC,
about your comment,

Quote: "What do you mean by balance? Ship/Weapon/Projectile stats and such? Because currently weapons don't do any damage as I haven't implemented ammo/crystal types and stats for all items is easily editable, but this won't be required until I have something playable
online to be able to test ships against."

Yeah i reffer to that, so there is balance between ships of a race, and also to the fact that every race is balanced against the others. So there is no a particular better race, so each one has their own advanages (like travel speed or more armored units), to make the game more appealing. This inffluences directly ships design and appearence, and also can give you ideas of some coding of the game.

I want also want to colaborate in reviewing the game architecture to help you improve it from my own experience.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 12:36
So if I haven't crippled your net with these huge images already here's another one! This is the first extra solar - solar system I've been working on, I'm using the name Marfak for now(yes I know it's the name of a real star),it was in the single player Final Exodus but eventually I'll make up a load of names as the game itself takes place on the other side of the galaxy from Sol so we can't use local star names. Now the addition of a new system isn't that amazing as all I have to do is copy/rename my Sol.dat file and change a few params, however the skyboxes are. With the wonders of the Pickover strange attractor(and more eventually), in my little skybox making tool I can randomly generate particle fields until I get a good one, add millions more points then render it to 6 images. The results can be quite interesting, as seen below.

In the pic you can also see an alien planet at the bottom right(aka Europa with a dense atmosphere, yes I know it's a moon but you can't really tell in game).

The backdrop is rendered to skybox using around 20 million points(point sprites) and rendered to 6x2048^2 maps, I will soon be writing code to filter the skybox as it's currently a bit grainy(and writing code to filter it isn't all that easy!).

Quote: "Yeah i reffer to that, so there is balance between ships of a race, and also to the fact that every race is balanced against the others. So there is no a particular better race,"

I plan to have very little balance between ships of different races as you won't be able to fly them, Agrippen ships for instance(Excalibur as seen above) will be some of the most formidable in the galaxy and should you provoke them you'd better hope you have a big fleet of huge ships to not get destroyed by them. The only disadvantage they have is that their numbers are very low so it's unlikely they will get many(if any) reinforcements if they send out a mayday(which you can jam).

Also once players start claiming back systems from the Svarog(and go deeper into the galaxy) their ships too will get a lot more advanced than the small fleets you'll come across, this doesn't mean to say the further you go from your initial spawn the more exponentially hard and larger the ships come, but also their ability to reinforce, amount of space stations(and ground defenses), as well as general tactics will get better. Also remember that the Vigour for instance is one of the larger ships(being almost 1KM in length) and other than the Sopharan ships(built for defense) they likely won't get much bigger, because of this you have somewhat agile ships so pilot skill is the key to winning in battles, this makes balance hard because a good pilot in a poor ship will be able to beat a beginner in a more advanced ship quite easily. Not to mention Agrippen ships will be easy compared to a certain more advanced race I won't mention .

Quote: "
I want also want to colaborate in reviewing the game architecture to help you improve it from my own experience."

Great, well once I get the game to the stage where players can fit ships/kill stuff+loot it and fly around the galaxy I'll be making an open Alpha, anything before that will be tested by myself.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 13:00
Sounds good. Not certain if I like the particle nebula. Personally, just since everything in the game looks so perfect, I'd love something with more volume and less 'Windows screensaver'.

Darth Kiwi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 13:03
You mentioned ground defences. Let's say a ground-turret launches a missile toward you - is it possible to notice and shoot down the missile, then descend to the planet's surface and destroy the ground defences, then rise back up to space to continue whatever battle was interrupted by the missile?

I'm not actually a Kiwi, I just randomly thought it up one day.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 14:10
Quote: "Not certain if I like the particle nebula. Personally, just since everything in the game looks so perfect, I'd love something with more volume and less 'Windows screensaver'."

I agree, 99% of these attractor algorithms look nothing like 99% of nebulae, however what's the alternative? I could perhaps spend ages studying the formation of real ones and make some type of fluid simulation to scatter the particles in a more convincing manner or use some more intensive calculations to make patterns with more variance. Or I could manually plot part of it and have my particles interpolate between them but these all take a lot of time(for both coding them and rendering). One major advantage of using this type of skybox method is that they are fully 3D and I can render them to a 360 degree seamless skybox. In my earlier screenshots with the galaxy I added that to a skysphere by hand(a NASA pic I believe), I did similar with my skyspheres in the single player version(though I made those fully by hand) but they weren't fully seamless, and they took quite a while to make.

There are a lot of huge pics of the Eagle/Orion/Crab nebulas etc. However if I put those on a skybox or skysphere, at most they will only be able to cover ~180 degrees, and it will look rather strange always being at the edge of a nebula so if you have a better suggestion for plotting 3D points to form a particle cloud I'm all ears. I will of course be experimenting with various noise patterns to see if I can make it look less mathematical.

Quote: "Let's say a ground-turret launches a missile toward you - is it possible to notice and shoot down the missile"

Yes, a missile will act similar to a normal ship would at cruise speeds, in that it will be flying from to the surface toward you at ~50-100KM/s and to destroy it you must jam its engines so it slows down and manually destroy it, either with the help of small ships or your fine aim.

Quote: "then descend to the planet's surface and destroy the ground defences, then rise back up to space to continue whatever battle was interrupted by the missile?"

Sort of, though I doubt many people would leave a battle just to take out a single space defense structure(because from orbit we're talking 300-400+KM distance). Large ships won't be able to take out such defenses via guns(because they aren't capable of atmospheric flight, unless you time your jump out very(very) well), however large ships will be able to launch long range missiles to a planet, which in turn can also get taken out by ground defenses.

However I don't intend for planetary attack for large ships to be a competition of who has the most missiles, so large ships will also be able to fit artillery style weapons which cannot be intercepted(but travel slower, and do less damage), the main disadvantage to this is that it takes up a good weapon slot on your ship, they cannot be used for ship to ship combat, and they can't be used to change planet's atmospheres(whereas nuclear/biological missiles can).

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 14:20
Dark Coder, you've got me sold. I, being a space fanatic, think this game has potential beyond any title here on TGC. If you work it out correctly, that is.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds awsome. Keep up the good work!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2008 20:45
Looks freaking amazing.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2008 18:51
I agree with tha_rami, as long as the controls are more strait forward than the singe player game.

Superman wears Chuck Norris PJ's
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 03:06
Hey, I didnt get a chance to tell your in IRC, great project!

I highly suggest you do not change the way the nebulas look, leave them grainy, I think it looks best like that!

Making dreams possible, one line at a time...
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 03:14
It would be a first for me to see a grainy nebula...

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 04:07
Dude, rami... come on... look at it... it's bloody next-gen graphics

I dont care if it's grainy or smooth or whatever!

Sig by BiggAdd.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 04:43
I do if it is! It's a darn pretty space simulation with awesome potential and it would be a shame in my opinion, no offense meant, just constructive criticism, to have that dampened by unrealistic nebulae that appear both out of style (grainy while everything is clean) and like a Apophosis fractal (instead of clouds).

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 04:55
Meh, I guess you're right.

I don't know anything about space anyways.

Sig by BiggAdd.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 05:40
Well to be fair they aren't too dissimilar from planetary nebulae, as they almost always look mathematical and are usually very symmetrical. Here's a selection of random ones I just made in my app, they use the same velocity maps so don't expect the colours to be different, and for most of them I only used 50k points so they aren't as high res as my others(calculating takes time!).

Here's a pic of real-life planetary nebulae, though the colours are different they aren't too far off, with a bit of distance based noise they could be quite similar.

http://lithops.as.arizona.edu/~jill/EPO/Posters/PlanetaryNebula/pnepic.gif

Also, the other day someone told me my storyline sucked , and that it was too far-fetched. So yesterday I rewrote it, hopefully it explains things a bit better(though it's still a bit far-fetched ). There is more to the storyline, but that will be covered in-game as players play it.

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 06:33
The new ones look better. Need some coloring work, yeah.

Nebulae aren't really symmetrical in most cases, I think. They could look like it as certain nebulaes are the result of novae and such and thus have a center point.

The noise in those pics are compression:
Orion Nebula
Crab Nebula
Helix Nebula

As in fact, nebulae are gas clouds, you wouldn't really have a noise effect in real life. Not that we can really see them as depicted in games in real life, but aah, well.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 07:18
Quote: "Nebulae aren't really symmetrical in most cases, I think."

Well I did say planetary nebulae in my last post :p, but yes nebulae like the Eagle, Orion etc are very hard to make. I believe the easiest way to make them(though still hard) would be to make a Voxel scene that initially gets filled using some type of strange attractor or hand made mesh followed by a turbulence pass to make it less uniform then either by hand or some algorithm I'd change the velocity of Voxels in certain areas to create shafts or pillars of dust similar to in the Horsehead/Eagle etc. nebula. If I use a high enough Voxel density it should look much better than my current strange attractor method as you shouldn't have a grainy result and it avoids the white-out you can get with areas of high density points.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 20:52
Well I Say - I finally found your WIP and I am duly impressed Dark Coder. It looks wonderful and kudo's on the LOD Triangle based spherical mesh. Wonderful Wonderful!

tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 21:25
Well, oops. You did indeed say planetary. I missed that (A).

In any case... It sounds like you're working on it steadily .

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2008 21:29
Seriously, I don't know what you are Dark Coder... lol

How can you do such things with DBPro?
This is looking great and the stuff you've come up with is truly amazing (And exactly what I wanted in space games in the past but never got)

Cheers,
Bozzy

"I'm a firm believer that if a team scores one goal, then the other has to score two to win."
SFSW
Years of Service
User Offline
Absolutely amazing stuff, dark coder. Keep the great work. You know I'll want a copy

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 13:17:59
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 13:17:59