Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Final Exodus : Online

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 19:13
Absolutely amazing, man! I really hope you
can upload a small demo soon
Keep up the good work!

/Nizze
Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2008 20:47
hi DC,
i think what you have done is great, but i have the feeling something doesn't feel right.
I think you can make the nebulae to look more like clouds, and less grainy and this will actually fit in the style you are giving to the game.

PD: what is a Voxel?
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Alfa x, take a look here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=120194&b=2
And here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=121363&b=8

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 12:10
Quote: "How can you do such things with DBPro?"

With a lot of time, patience and workarounds, lots of that.

Quote: "Absolutely amazing stuff, dark coder. Keep the great work. You know I'll want a copy"

Thanks.

@Alfa x, I've currently removed the pickover nebula from my current skybox and instead used a handmade one which looks better as I can't spend too long on these random things, but I will eventually get the voxel one done.

Also in case you haven't seen the latest Untitled, below is the screenshot used for the cover(first one), and the lighting may look a bit strange because to get it all to fit in one pic I had to use a bit of creative positioning .

I added a basic HUD the other day too, it's similar to the one in my single-player version only these now display a ship signature icon so you can identify what class of ship you're looking at without actually seeing it, plus the HUD box expands based on the apparent radius of the ship so you can gauge range.

I also added target selection, so you can click on HUD icons and weapons will track targets, as well as lead them if you or it are moving. All weapons have X/Y rotational speed limits, as well as angle limitations for certain weapons. Currently the tracking is pretty much linear and doesn't account for rotational velocity coupled with engine thrust so if you corkscrew you can evade fire quite well, the single-player exodus was like this as it's far too intensive to calculate for every ship, however being online every client can do it for only their ship so it's quite cost effective(for the server).

Next I need to finish off missiles so they accelerate and track targets to hopefully hit, currently I've only implemented dumb-fire ones. And also any passively locked targets need to be display on the HUD so you can see what your guns are doing and see the enemy HP and such.

Pics:

In a very high orbit of some small random ringed planet with a moon in a binary star system(with a subtle reflection nebula surrounding it), you can also see ship signature things on the HUD, they are bound to the screen too so you can always see what's around you:

Shot of the Vigour shooting at a Svarog ship with plasma beam/pulse and missile weapons:

A shot of both ships shooting each other:

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 15:46
[b][/b]

Click For Details!
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 15:56 Edited at: 29th Jan 2008 15:58
Your backgrounds are amazing. In those last shots, you've achieved the painted look of the Homeworld games, in 3D. The combat looks good, though it's hard to tell how interesting it is. I'm used to screens overflowing with action in space battles. I'm really impressed by the weapon mechanics. I see it turret rotation and all in the space games I play, but it always impresses me.

I'm curious, but do you intend to ever be able to see the interiors of places when you dock and such as in Freelancer? It's unnecessary, but it feels great to have a change of pace where you're not looking at a ship and open space all the time.

Anyways, stunning.

BlockVerse-> Old School Beta Demo-> Dream-> Old School-> Guitar Platformer
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Awsome Dark Coder.

Darkness, you haunt me. If I give in, I would be an monster beyond imagining. Light, you guide me. Thanks to you, I see past the nothingness. Life, I choose to live in the light.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 20:57
Looks nice, But I think someone played a little too much EVE

Core Map 2 is released, Free edition and Commercial Edition available at the following link
See Topic
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 22:36
Pure awesome. I love it.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 15:27
Quote: "I'm curious, but do you intend to ever be able to see the interiors of places when you dock and such as in Freelancer?"

Eventually I will add a first person element to the game so you will be able to walk around stations and ships/planets etc but I need to get the universe part of the engine and ship stuff done first and I can add that later.

Quote: "Looks nice, But I think someone played a little too much EVE"

In what way? Stargate and Homeworld are my main inspirations just because EVE is online too doesn't mean I'm copying them, after all my game will require skill to play(the ship piloting part), not just lock a few targets, activate some modules and get some tea , though I have played EVE my game won't be anything like it, compare it to Freelancer if anything .

Small update:

I made a video showing off the shield effects and weapons plus my initial FTL travel effect, you can see it here.

And a customary bandwidth eating pic:

Also you can't really see it in the vid but in addition to optimizing the engine(around 20% gain!) I added random things like cube mapping to some ships.

Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 15:57
Shield effect looks great up close.

I'm really glad to hear you'll be adding an out of ship ellement (eventually). it's a great way to pace the game. I totally agree you should do the universe part first though, as I imagine it's far far more important.

And Homeworld and Freelancer are my favorite space games.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 16:25
Quote: "In what way? Stargate and Homeworld are my main inspirations just because EVE is online too doesn't mean I'm copying them, after all my game will require skill to play(the ship piloting part), not just lock a few targets, activate some modules and get some tea , though I have played EVE my game won't be anything like it, compare it to Freelancer if anything .
"

I looked at the fighting scene, it it looked pretty similar to EVE's fighting system... That what made me like "Ehhh... Not one of those systems..." and said it looked rather EVE inspired.

Core Map 2 is released, Free edition and Commercial Edition available at the following link
See Topic
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 16:55
Well it's quite hard to show a keyboard in a recording but I have full control over the ship's engines and rotation. The only thing I don't control on a ship of this size are the weapons because there's no way for a single person to fly a ship and accurately and independently control more than one turret. However small ships won't have tracking turrets and will have to be manually aimed by the ship's rotations, same goes for the more powerful weapons on ships; they will be fixed. Also I will soon add a more useful camera angle for ship combat, the current is just a standard orbit one.

Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 17:05
Ah, Alright. that will make combat alot more intresting then EVE's combat.

See Topic
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 18:27
Ah! I just saw the vid. The combat looks quite good. Amazing in fact.

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2008 19:16
I've just shotgunned the first copy!

Looking great, and above all, innovative

"I'm a firm believer that if a team scores one goal, then the other has to score two to win."
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2008 21:48
Quote: "I've just shotgunned the first copy! "

Now there are bits of CD everywhere.

Bozzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 00:48
"virtual CD" I guess

"I'm a firm believer that if a team scores one goal, then the other has to score two to win."
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2008 03:09
Holy crap, that looks pretty amazing. I love it. The combat looks really crazy, with all those weapons firing and shields flaring up.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
I loved that battle!

To see that ship stearing toward that fleet of firing enemy ships that was firing... And how you rotated and controlled the ship... Wow. Epic as hell! Love it, man. Keep it up!

Sixty Squares
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2008 12:47
Wow. Very nice!

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn this is awesome

The admiral
General powell11
Years of Service
User Offline
you have skills! this looks awsome

Check out gang- the gangster fps
Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Is this project dead or just that no one have replied in an long time? Because if it is still being worked on, I just want you to know I´m looking forward to see more.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2008 07:49
It is being worked on, however I'm recoding this using GDK as DBP isn't fast enough at any of the procedural generation code. If you look at the DBP boards I tried to make the fastest perlin noise I could in DBP and my C++ version was around 10x faster, and probably more once I finish some new optimizations. So it will likely be a while before you see any substantial news posts.

However, before I decided to recode it I changed quite a lot to the engine. For one I managed to render the whole scene using a single camera, rather than two. This gained me around 100FPS from 300~, and I can now get around 600 in places(when not looking at a planet with atmosphere or star). Also I changed the way I position items in a system to use a double int, this gives me 1mm precision over a 6000AU radius and means all positions are stored in a single value. In addition to this all objects are now transformed into camera-space coordinates before rendering meaning there are no float inaccuracy issues for objects close by, and I had to use some clever scaling to get my planets and stars to render correctly, and they do so flawlessly, before they used to flicker a little bit when at distances of around 0.01~AU away from the camera.

However, ultimately things like my planet subdivision code aren't possible in DBP at a decent FPS due to DBP being inherently slow and lacking many low level features required to quickly update objects and store them. Also as it's a recode I'm able to fully reorganise the way I store object data files(materials/LODs) to be much faster than they were before. But as I said there is a lot of stuff to recode so it will take a while.

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. Good to know it isn´t dead then . Good luck recoding it.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 16:38
hi,
I didn't understand.
YOu are not working anymore in dbpro?.
You are working in dark GDK?, or in C++ with another engine?.
dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2008 16:49
Using GDK, in C++. I've written most of my library that the engine will use but I'm also working on another project with some of the people from the Devhat IRC, so don't count on updates being that frequent, or at least for now. But the project will never die!

Mr Z
Years of Service
User Offline
Good to hear it is not dead . I was wondering it. Good luck with the projects you are working on.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2008 17:51
Hmm.. I hadn't actually read your storyline until now. The beginning is very close to mine.

Thankfully thats as far as the similarities go. I've always enjoyed a good space battle. Can't wait to see this progress.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 12:22:26
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 12:22:26