Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Installation & Wizards

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2008 12:13
Well I found a German forum for the Dark GDK which helped me out. I had to search for a long time to figure out how to fix this and here's what I found:

Since the "My Documents" folder is called different in every language, I will refer to it as [Your Documents Folder]. In that paths listed below you'll just have to to replace it with whatever it's called by you...for example mine is called "Eigene Dateien".

So here's what you do:

In [Your Documents Folder] you should have a folder called "Visual Studio 2008". In this folder you have to create a folder called "Wizards".
Now you have to copy the "Files" folder located at "C:\Programs\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards" into the "Wizards" folder which you just created.

Now edit the following files found in "[Your Documents Folder]\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards\Files:

File: "Dark GDK - Game.vsz"
Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - Game\Dark GDK - Game"

File: "Dark GDK - 2D Game.vsz"
Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game"

File: "Dark GDK - 3D Game.vsz"
Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game"

Note that "C:\Program Files\" is named different in every language, for example in German it's "C:\Programme\", so you'll have to replace that with your own aswell.

You can open those files with notepad for example.

Now start Visual C++ click on "Tool", then "Options".
Click on to expand "Projects and Solutions" and click on "VC++ Directories".
At the top right, chose "Include Files" and add these two paths:
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Include
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Include

Again at the top right, chose "Library Files" and add these two paths:
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Lib\vs9
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2007)\Lib\x86

If you've done everything right, it should work.

Credit for this solution goes to: Monte Djego. The original thread can be found here: http://www.darkgdk.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=351

Chris
Gamerhead
Years of Service
User Offline
I wish to add a few things, to clarify for the few people out there that might suffer from thick-headedness like I do. Also, I think the Vista problems differ somewhat from XP.

This might not solve ALL of your problems but if you got a similar setup and running Vista, it might be worth a try.

1. Look in your "user/My Documents/Visual Studio 2008/.. folder. You should find a folder named Dark GDK with a a couple of subfolders in it. Click through them until you find the "Wizards" folder, and check that it contains (at least) nine files. If not, locate the files from elsewhere (mentioned in almost all other posts).

2. Select and copy (ctrl-c) the Wizards folder for future pasting. Leave the Dark GDK folder.

3. Now, (assuming your using the explorer to view your harddrive) back out to the root of "User", (where you located "My Documents" in step one) and look a few folders up the ladder. You should have a folder named "Documents" (its one with a blue icon, but might be named different in other languages). Click that folder and look for a "Visual Studio 2008" folder within it.

4. When you have found it, open it and paste the "Wizards" folder into the root of it, ***not*** inside the "Templates" folder, even if it sounds logical. You should see the Wizards folder lined up neatly with the first level of folders within the VS folder.

5. This took care of the problem for me, since I didnt have to modify the VSZ files. All my paths were correct, but the wizards folder in the wrong place.

Just my 2 cents.
Arminus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2009 02:10
Ive got Visual Studio 2008 Pro
on my old PC Dark GDK installed and worked fine (with the express editions) but Dark GDK installer doesnt seem to recognise C++ as being installed unless I have the express edition installed (same goes with the DX9 SDK)
anyone else had this issue?
it's a pain cos i have the souped up version of visual studio i dont wanna have to install the express editions aswell

Incontinance, the lazy mans excuse!
Malo
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG this totally jsut solved my problem that I just posted about. (its still pending approval, yes i am a noob please don't hate me too much) but I was running windows xp and all i had to do was go into my cdrive\thegamecreators\dark gdk\wizards
now my wizard is back! thank you so much for the help!
Monk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2009 20:53 Edited at: 17th Feb 2009 21:19
I cant install the August 2007 sdk because everytime i click on it, it runs the uninstall for my internet adapter instead...

edit: I ran the .msi instead of setup.exe and it works

Skanneri
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Now edit the following files found in "[Your Documents Folder]\Visual Studio 2008\Wizards\Files:

File: "Dark GDK - Game.vsz"
Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - Game\Dark GDK - Game"

File: "Dark GDK - 2D Game.vsz"
Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 2D Game\Dark GDK - 2D Game"

File: "Dark GDK - 3D Game.vsz"
Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Wizards\Projects\Dark GDK - 3D Game\Dark GDK - 3D Game"

Note that "C:\Program Files\" is named different in every language, for example in German it's "C:\Programme\", so you'll have to replace that with your own aswell."

I cant find Dark GDK - 3D Game.vsz or the other 2 files. Only .vsdir, icon and visual studio wizard files. What to do?
Strikerx22
Years of Service
User Offline
I just installed Dark GDK and when I tried it out and build the Dark GDK - Game1 I get several errors.

I saw someone else had the same error but that was a while back so wondering if anyone else has this problem and if anyone knows how to resolve this issue.
Ruuod
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi MegaMuse (I´m from germany too)
Also..
Ich hab alles gemacht wie du es gesagt hast und ich habe immer noch das Problem dass VC++ die default.js Datei nicht findet.
Außerdem finde ich die Wizardfiles im Projektmenü unter Assistenten.
Ruuod
Years of Service
User Offline
Can somebody say me why I can´t find the default.js file for Dark GDK - Game?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Ruuod
Years of Service
User Offline
I`ve found the mistake:
Behind the Absoluth Path from the Dark GDK was a space
Carl CLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 17:45 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2009 18:28
OFFICIAL STEPS TO INSTALL THE WIZARDS

I asked the TGC support for an official solution to install the wizards. Their answer is following.

These are 'variables' that you have to change to suit your installation of Dark GDK and Windows.
[Dark GDK] = The folder where you installed Dark GDK. The default is C:/Program Files/The Game Creators/Dark GDK
[Your Documents] = Your My Documents folder. The default is C:/Documents and Settings/[Your Name]/My Documents
Make sure there is a folder named Visual Studio 2008 in it. If not, try to find the right My Documents folder if you have several, or install/reinstall Visual Studio 2008.

Quote: "How to manually install the wizards:

* Go to [Dark GDK]/Wizards/Files. Copy all of the files from here.
* Paste the files into [Your Documents]/Visual Studio 2008/Wizards

* Go to [Dark GDK]/Wizards/Projects. Copy all of the files from here.
* Now go to [Your Documents]/Visual Studio 2008
* Create a folder called Dark GDK
* Paste all of the files into this file

* Go to [Your Documents]/Visual Studio 2008/Wizards
* Open each VSZ file in Notepad
* You will see a line like this Param="ABSOLUTE_PATH = [Your Documents]/Visual Studio 2008/Dark GDK/Dark GDK - 2D Game/Dark GDK - 2D Game"
* Make sure this line in each file has the correct path

Once you have taken these steps the wizards will be available to you."

(Note that I put slashes instead of backslashes because they don't show. I also modified the paths to make them more clear.)

PLEASE MAKE THIS MORE VISIBLE, BY MAKING A STICKY OR BY EDITING THE FIRST POST OF THIS THREAD. THANKS!
Italy Portugal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 05:09
I recently had to restore Vista on my machine due to some hardware errors, but After installing DarkGDK, the wizards worked but when I compiled it said that it couldn't find "DarkGDK.h"

I have Vista SP2, 2GB RAM, 1.9GHZ AMD Turion 64 x2

God never dies, God is, that is enough.

a game creator's podcast - Coming Soon!
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2009 05:41
You need to tell visual studio where to find those files manually if its not already done...

Inside visual studio, goto Tools->Options... inside the window that opens, in the leftmost listbox, select "Projects and Solutions" and then "VC++ Directories"..

In the 2 listboxes at the top of that window, the left one says "platform" the right says "show directories for"

Select you platform, 32bit, and select "include" for the directories. Make sure there is a reference in there to the place where you DarkGDK header files are on your PC.

Then do the same for the "libraries" directories. Making sure there is a reference to the place where your DarkGDK .lib files are.

The Default locations for these files are :

Header : C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Include
Libraries : C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\lib\vs9

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
Mayckoll
Years of Service
User Offline
hey same problem over here!

i've tried as admin but nothing happens.

1. i am using Windows vista home basic sp1 and my visual studio is in spanish version.
2. i dont see any folder called Dark GDK within the Visual studio 2008 folder.
3. the wizards.exe file runs and the mouse pointer blinks like if it was instaling something but the folder content doesnt change.

help me please i wanna start a new DARK GDK project!
Italy Portugal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 14:13
@Mista Wilson

Thanks, that fixed it

God never dies, God is, that is enough.

a game creator's podcast - Coming Soon!
Mista Wilson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2009 14:44
@Italy Portugal - Im glad you got it working. Best of luck with your GDK endeavours. I look forward to seeing you around here from time to time.

@Mayckoll - Im sorry I dont speak spanish myself.. it looks like to me though, that is the "New Project" window, and its missing the DarkGDK wizards.

I believe that it is a known problem with the GDK installer that it wont install the wizards for languages other than english due to a difference in folders naming conventions or some such.. if you have a read through this thread from the start, I'm sure that your exact problem has been dealt with and solved.

However, to get you off the ground quickly you can do the following :
-Start a new solution.
-Choose a win32 project as the project to put into it at the start(it really doesnt matter though as you wont use the default project).
-Once you have your new solution, open it inside the "solution explorer" and right-click the name of the solution.
-Select the option "Add Existing Project..."
-In the window, navigate to where the DarkGDK sample projects are on your PC and select one of them(it doesnt matter which) and click OK

The IDE should go through now and add the project that you selected to your solution, complete with it's settings(which is the idea)..
Now you can use that project as a "skeleton" for your own. Just delete all of the files that are a part of it, by right-clicking on them and selecting "remove" then clicking "delete" in the following window. Once the project is empty of files, right click on it's name and select "Add new item.." and select a ".cpp" file in the following window. Inside that .cpp file, put the following :

Now you have essentially what the wizard will give you.

If it ain't broke.... DONT FIX IT !!!
WBB
Years of Service
User Offline
It seems that the solutions involve putting something into the My Documents folder. I'm trying to install DarkGDK to be available for all users, in a lab. Will each user have to install something in My Documents, or is there a place that can be shared?
Skolmen
Years of Service
User Offline
MegaMuse: You soooo solved my problem! Thanks alot <3

C++ newbie.
Damian001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 15:10
Danke MegaMuse!! =D

Hello world tomorrow
Willy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2009 07:29 Edited at: 9th Oct 2009 20:37
Hi,

"Can you check the registry. Look for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\The Game Creators\Dark GDK. Do you see the key for INSTALL_PATH. Is this pointing to the correct location?"

Under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\" there isn't any entry for "The Game Creators"
However, if you scroll down to "WOW6432Node" you will find "The Game Creators" and "Dark GDK"

The path there looks correct -
"INSTALL PATH REG_SZ C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK"
c:\users\bill\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\hello world\hello world\main.cpp(17) : error C2065: '“animatedsprite' : undeclared identifier
c:\users\bill\documents\visual studio 2008\projects\hello world\hello world\main.cpp(17) : error C2228: left of '.png”' must have class/struct/union
type is ''unknown-type''

Under "Tools" "Options" "Projects and Solutions" "VC++ Directories" in Visual C++ 2008 Express, I see the following:
Header : C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\Include
Libraries : C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark GDK\lib\vs9

There are nine files in Dark GDK - Wizards - Files.
That looks correct.

However, I noticed the .vsz files have "Mike" rather than my name in the My Documents address. I changed that. Didn't seem to make any difference.

Willy
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
@Willy: Regarding the compilation error at animatedsprite.png, please see my answer in the other thread:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158943&b=22&p=0

The problem is caused by the quotation marks.
Willy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 03:10
Thanks Mireben!
I think I got past that one.
Now I'm getting:
fatal error C1033: cannot open program database ''

I'm having a little problem understanding what that is, or where to find it.

I'm getting this error with the initial "Dark GDK - Game" template, without any code changes.

Willy
Mireben
Years of Service
User Offline
That's much more serious. I did a quick search in Google and found threads which say that the file with extension "idb" which is in the output directory is locked by another process, or corrupted. They suggest, among others, to delete the file before every compilation, disable the Windows search indexer, or disable parallel compilations in Visual Studio. Do a search yourself, on the sentence of the error message, and see what tips you can find. I can't help you more, fortunately I've never had that error message.
Willy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 19:52
Thanks!
I'll work on it...

Willy
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 23:28 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2009 23:28
I'm surprised that this has still not been fixed after all this time. All it is, is a case of correctly detecting the user's documents folder (which can vary between OS and language), which is just a case of doing this:

Instead the documents folder is just hardcoded, which results in these problems people are having. Surely a little compatibility is not much to ask for TGC!
DarkCrimson
Years of Service
User Offline
The darkgdk worked without a problem when I installed it. I opened a 2d game template with the current code, run and came up without a problem. After the test run, I removed all the code which the template came with. Inserted some code and a header file in the place of the current project, it came up with "pre-made template code." The one with the asteroids and the space in background. Closed it, reopen another project, renamed the file from "DarkGdk - 2d Game" to "Tutorial then the much funnier part of my day started to begin. A unspecific file error appeared, done couple more time. It still refuse to load. The file settings for include and library file was in place. After a while, it wouldn't take even the template games. It came up with the "unspecific file error," or, "no header file exist. Darkgdk.h". I do understand, this specific software is free, we don't get the "full" advantage of having technical support or workable (without bugs) software. It is really hurting the company if someone wants to buy the actually darkbasic pro, the other software.

Also, I have
Vista Home
2.5 gb ram
Intel Pentium 4
3.2 ghz
qwerty0805
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 01:43 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2009 19:37
Never mind, I fixed it by my self.
qwerty0805
Years of Service