Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Danger Ground - Action RPG and Team Request

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Looking great so far...Can't wait to see more progress.
Keep up the good work !
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2008 23:55
Hello again.

There are not much news, but we made progress though. I integrated the possibility to add simple sprites onto the maps to the editor, so now it's possible to design the levels with much more detail. This sprites don't collide or do anything at all, they are just drawn to one specified layer (so it's possible to define their order in the editor... e.g. if they should be drawn in front of or behind the entities, lightmaps, effects etc).

Here's a screenshot of how it looks:

Because we don't have any more sprites... there are just the crates and blood-sprites we used before.

My partner worked on the AI during the last days and made them use rocket launchers for much more interesting battles. He also fixed many small bugs.

The next things we'll work on are probably advanced team-commands, basic triggering and pathfinding.

By the way, we found a game on the net which represents the atmosphere we want to create very well. The whole setting is similar. If anybody wants to test it, here's the link:

http://www.militantplatypus.com/games/gamepage.php?game=dead%20frontier%20night

And to say it once more: We still need sprites. The most important one is an animated zombie. Even if it's just a 3-frame walking-animation... we take everything now.

Thanks for the feedback, I hope we'll have more updates (and sprites) soon.

Rybens123
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, how did you make so cool lighting system? Can you give som advices?

Btw. Game Engine looks very nice, I can't wait to play demo
Rybens123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2008 22:04 Edited at: 30th Jan 2008 00:36
Sry, double post
GhostDogg
Years of Service
User Offline
Any progress ?
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2008 12:22
Quote: "Any progress ? "

Yes!

After some weeks of inactivity we continue working now.

The probably most important news is that we finally finished the script-engine. It's able to run commands, handle variables, run all kinds of loops and of course influence the game in realtime. It runs very fast and solid, we just have to integrate it with all neccessary commands and add the possibility to work with calculations.
We already wrote a script for some teleporters and it works well, without any problems.

So we will have to kill some bugs within the next days and then we'll continue working on the demo. We will probably use the 2nd mission of the game as demo-level. It's quite alternative but the best one to show all features and the gameplay best. The player will be in a tutorial-like ~training-camp where he's able to learn everything he needs, like how to shoot, command the team-members, tactical combat-elements, working with light and environment etc.
If you have any suggestions or wishes for the demo just tell us.
However, we'll probably still need several months to finish it.
But maybe there will be a new video online soon..

The lighting-system is quite simple: For every point within the lights radius a ray is casted to the center. If it collides with any object, the pixel is completely transparent, otherwise it get's the lights color and an alpha-value depending on the distance to the center.
It's not really the most efficient way, but there are more important things to work on at first.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 12:37
*BUMP*

After changing some essential parts of the engine and many hours of hard work we'd taken the next step to the demo and made a second video.
The video of course shows tile-blending and lightmapping, as well as the actual AI (not really intelligent and without good pathfinding, but with some cool features though), team-commands, first particle- and better blood-effects and the scripted teleporter.

See the video here:

-Dangerground WIP Video 2-
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XIqp-sK-hD4

Apart from Dangerground I worked on a program for procedural texture-generation so we can make some own realistic textures.. but it still doesn't solve our sprite-problem. But because there probably won't be anyone helping us out with it, I don't even ask for help. We will see if we find an artist in a photoshop forum or so.

OK, enough info. Keep posting!

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2008 17:20
Looks cool!

You might want to add on some "line-of-sight" AI so that the enemy doesnt shoot unless there are no collisions with walls in a line from them to the enemy. Thats what I did in my game, its super helpful.

Green7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2008 13:48
what kind of sprites do you actually need?

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
Thank you for the comments
What we actually need is some sort of spritepack to create something similar to DeadFrontier http://www.deadfrontier.com/.
I really like the atmosphere created in this game. Sprites to create this environment would be cool (roads, cars, buildings, decals, ...).
We would also appreciate an animated zombie. A walking animation will do it for now, I think

[/url]
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Mar 2008 22:17
*BUMP*

We added such a line-of-sight-AI, replaced sume sprites and finally added an overlay-sprite for better atmosphere, which in our opinion does its job quite well.

Here's a screenshot:

Btw, we still need an animated zombie.

Thanks in advance for any comments & criticism.

JMS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 04:17
This is one of the most impressive projects I've seen. Maybe it can motivate me to get off my ass and do some work myself.
Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 18:53 Edited at: 24th Mar 2008 18:54
Hey Mr.Koh! long time no see lol, I read through the whole thread and I watched both of the vids, and it's looking great!

So... you need a graphics guy? I LOVE making top-down graphics so if you want I can be the guy.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 20:31
Thanks for the comments and good luck with @JMS.

@Game King: Welcome back, wherever you've been. It would be cool if you helped us with graphics, but nevertheless it should fit to the realistic style we chose.

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 21:48
@Mr Kohlenstoff~ Okay. Could you make a list of sprites you need at the moment?
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 21:53
wow, i love that video!

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Profit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 23:03
Game King: DBer said what they needed a few posts up.

Quote: "What we actually need is some sort of spritepack to create something similar to DeadFrontier http://www.deadfrontier.com/.
I really like the atmosphere created in this game. Sprites to create this environment would be cool (roads, cars, buildings, decals, ...).
We would also appreciate an animated zombie. A walking animation will do it for now, I think "

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2008 23:22
Quote: "We added such a line-of-sight-AI,"

GREAT!

Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 00:03
@Profit- Thanks. Yes DBer has contacted me about it already.

@DBer/Mr.Koh- I'm in class right now, but I started working on the main character sprite. Tomorrow I will send you the zombie, and soldier sprites.
Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 19:55
Player:

Zombie Idle:

Zombie walk:
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2008 21:14
Have you played Tapan Kaikki? Finnish shooting game what is really old.. Looks like this

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 00:05
Using that many frames will use up too much memory.
Try and use about 5 or so, it may look a little choppy, but players own't notice it in game.
Good lookin' sprites, though.

jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 05:16
I'd contact David Gervais for 2d pics. He might help - might not - I don't know him - but I like his art.

Um... he can be seen wandering here if you scroll down a bit: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=97562&b=32

He's pretty darn good. Again - not speaking for him - I have NO IDEA what he'd say... but I know he's talented.

Generic Hero
Years of Service
User Offline
This may sound like a weird question but; can you start
a fire fight with your teammate NPCs? That may sound stupid but
I'm the sort of person who shoots captain Keyes in Halo as soon
as I find ammo. WHAT? IT'S FUN! *sorry about that, I get overexcited*

Shoot, reload. Shoot, reload. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANY MORE!
DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Mar 2008 16:54 Edited at: 26th Mar 2008 20:55
@Game King:
Thank you very much for the sprites, but I think they don't really fit in what we want to . It's a bit too colorful and comic-like.
Sure that it fits in the style we CURRENTLY have, but it's not realistic enough. Is it possible for you to use some more realistic looking colors? Have you had a look on Dead Frontier? I know it's very hard to do this sort of grafics, but you still can try

@Generic Hero: Just implemented this possibility but now I recommend not to decide shooting them because you would definitly loose without cheating

The whole game is now timer based, just to mention that

[/url]
Game King
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2008 04:06
@DBer~ I noticed that too lol, I did take a look at Dead Frontier, but currently I'm not able to make that detailed sprites. Sorry well, I hope you guys find a new spriter, this game is looking great.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2008 22:16
Update:

After integrating my old particle engine we used for Vaelore into dangerground and creating a couple of barrels, which start burning after some damage and cause an explosion, we went on with programming a unit editor. It's not really able to do anything yet, but at least it uses our own GUI. And there are many many gadgets!
However, we are going to work on this small external editor within the next days or weeks so that we'll be able to create some different unit Types for the demo, or at least a new video.

Here's a screenshot:

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2008 04:34
Cool project I used to make hundreds of top down shooters like this one (although less detailed) in good ole DIV Games Studio.

One comment: For some reason, the ground textures are a little jarring to my eyes.. They just seem.. out of place somehow. Im not sure what the solution is, but you might try using other textures, or scaling them, or something.
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2008 19:45
hows this coming?

This is my WIP, not even ready for a WIP thread yet though.http://smallgroupproductions.com/
Generic Hero
Years of Service
User Offline
Are your allies and yourself going to be upgradeable?, I mean, the thread DOES say RPG.

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Generic Hero:
Surely there will be some RPG elements. Much stress is layed on action and fast gameplay, but you would be able to upgrade your weapons and gain some EXP to reach a higher level. That will increase your max. health and precision while shooting.

@flashing snall:
Progress is a little bit stuck at the moment. For myself, I'm busy at university but I'm using my freetime to do some drawings on the first official map.
Also, we found someone who can create us a lot of professional looking sprites.
Our unit editor is nearly finished. Maybe there will be some new screnshots when some more sprites are finished.
But to say that, the basics gameengine is finished, so there will possibly be a demo release in june.

[/url]
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2008 23:21
June sounds like a good time to play!

Generic Hero
Years of Service
User Offline
impatiently anticipating this demo is going to be worth it.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st May 2008 17:09
Finally our unit- and weapon-editors are ready to use. We will probably integrate them this weekend and start working on the demo-map afterwards.
So.. prepare for some new screenshots with partly new graphics, a complete new map and use of many different weapons within the next few weeks.

We still appreciate comments, criticism and ~feature-requests, so don't be shy.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2008 04:00
weeeee. i love 2d stuffz.
I really want to see whats new with this. Cant wait for a demo so i can see how it plays.

Gunslinger
Years of Service
User Offline
The screenshots are really awesome, can't wait to play it.
Feature requests... maybe NPCs (friendly) + quests. Like defent your position with incoming zombies or something

You're german? (Me too ) Do you have ICQ? Would be cool.
Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 01:07
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Quote: "Feature requests... maybe NPCs (friendly) + quests"

Well, actually rpg-like quests are a good idea, but we are not really sure where the game will go after the demo. We coulnd't find a good compromiss between solo-campaign with multiplayer-part and an mmorpg-like structure. If it will become more like an MMORPG (similar to dead frontier maybe) we will of course include quests, but otherwise such a feature would not really fit into the overall concept. However, we'll see.

By the way there will probably be challenges apart from the campaign (another aspect we are not sure about, but due to the level editor being quite easy to use creating some additional levels won't be that hard), so defending a base from hundreds of zombies will for sure be something you can find in the game.

My ICQ# is 315 849 733. (Yes, I am German)

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2008 02:48
How much realism are you looking for?
You could add a stanima thing for sprinting away from ta hordes?
i know that in a game i hope to make soon, im goin ghave a zombie meter. It would be something like, the zombies wont really be after you, and you have an empty zombie meter. But if they see you, thell try and eat you. You could either run, or shoot. The gun fire attracks attention, and the zombie meter goes up. Now you have zombies looking for you. If you keep on fighting them, hordes and hordes will start to come from off the screen and you just got yourself into one hell of a fight

What about character customation? such as weapon selection and stats

Is their going to be online? co-op/head 2 head/ who can complete a mission first?

Those are some suggestions/questions that i hope might help you out

Generic Hero
Years of Service
User Offline
BTW, have you got a plausible reason for a zombie invasion? I know that it isn't nesceserry for enjoying the game, but it could be used as a key plot element perhaps?

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
@Generic Hero:
yes, there is a plausible reason, but we don't want to drop any information about the plot
Have a nice day

[/url]
DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,
plans are currently changing because we have to rewrite the whole AI-code. It is too buggy at the moment.
That's why the demo won't come out that fast we thought.
Sorry for the unexpected delay, but we'll try to make the best of it.

[/url]
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2008 20:51
"Good AI" is a pain... and Worth the wait. It can make or break ya... so... Get-R-Dun Good Luck

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2008 01:58
eew, AI has always kept me away from trying to code anything more than a simple arcade game. good luck, and i cant wait till a demo comes out, or at least another movie.

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2008 03:43
hows that AI coming?

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2008 15:57
We used our AI-theory in several external modules, but it doesn't work as well as it's supposed to. So we will need some more time to polish and finally integrate it. Afterwards we have to work on our scripting engine (even though the complicated part is done), integrate the driving physics we already coded and tested and of course work on the demo's leveldesign, even though there's a quite detailled plan of how it will look.
You see, there is still much work to do and we can't promise that the demo comes out this summer, but we'll do our best. Luckily my summer-holidays start next week so I'll have much time for Dangerground.

Mr Kohlenstoff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 02:24
Wooohooo! Mission completed.

The AI is integrated - at least the parts which are already codet - and it works more or less without any errors. All bots are now on the same level they were before we started recoding the AI, so at least it's not a step back. Some more advanced stuff like hiding behind objects, basic communication-rules, using grenades efficiently etc. will follow withing the next weeks.
Apart from the AI I upgraded the scripting engine which now supports functions. The only thing missing is the possibility to use calculations within scripts. Nevertheless pretty much anything is possible to script at the moment. We also finished a basic animation-system... which is quite senseless due to the amount of animated sprites available.
We'll probably use the next days to develop a basic sound- and music-system and make the scripting language support it. Other things from our ToDo-List are outfading sprite-layers (e.g. for house-roofs which get invisible as soon as the player stands below them), maybe a minimum of 3D-gameplay (I mean the possibility to crouch, entities which can be over-climbed etc.) and much more.

We still don't upload a new screenshot because there aren't any new graphics to show (well, more or less). We'll see if we can record a new video or so before publishing the demo. (We're still not sure when the demo will be finished, maybe in one or two months... hopefully )

flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 14:38
YES! Thank you! I cant wait to play this game. The AI sounds fun and cahallengin now. Keep it up.

DBer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 12:53 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 12:59
__________________________UPDATE__________________________

Hi!

Due to the fact that we are nearly far enough with the engine to start working on the Demo, we decided to 'revive' this thread by posting all information on the games progress we are able to provide. We did not create a complete new thread because we will probably do this in some weeks to show the demo.

Even though it's probably not necessary, we start with a short description: Dangerground is a 2D-topdown-tactic-RPG-Shooter set in the early future. The player controls a team of four soldiers including himself and has to fight against various kinds of enemies, like rebels and zombies. He has access to different weapons like pistols, machineguns and rocketlaunchers to fight his opponents in the most efficient way. Even though the gameplay is meant to be tactically challenging, there'll be much action and finally a good atmosphere.

We are working on this project for round about 8 months now and are planning to release the demo this year, hopefully in two months. The game itself will come out in Summer 09.
In fact we would already be able to give you a demo because most of the game-relevant parts are finished, but instead we decided to make the demo as "professional" as possible which causes this long delay.

If you read the complete thread you probably already knew most of this, so it's time for some news.

Our team expanded to 4.5 members now. There are still Mr Kohlenstoff and me, being responsible for programming, the overall game-design and also big parts of level-design. There's an artist already helping us for several weeks, being really great in his job but not having enough time to do all the sprite-creation alone. So we found a new 2D-artist who will help us with animated soldiers, zombies and probably more. Finally a friend of mine joined the team to set up a homepage and help us with sounds and leveldesign.

Nevertheless we still need support, this time not concerning sprites but sound: We want all dialogs of the demo to be spoken, so we need some male voices speaking english well. There's not that much to say in the demo, all in all maybe two or three minutes of dialog. So if you want to help us by recording a few sentences, that would be fine.

After five paragraphs of theory here are finally some facts about our progress:

***DONE***

- Sprite Engine
- Collision
- Movement, Shooting, Reloading etc.
- Weapon-Sounds
- Automatic Music-System
- Soundtrack (3 of 5 planned tracks)
- Weapon-Editor
- Unit-Editor
- Entity-Editor
- World-Editor
- Scripting-Engine
- Pseudo-3D-Gameplay
- 2D-Lightmapping
- Entering and leaving buildings

***IN PROGRESS***

- Scripting-Language (We just have to add more commands to make it more powerfull)
- Sprites
- AI (basics are finished but we still need pathfinding and some advanced routines)
- Meelee-Attacks
- dynamic / movable entities

There are more features planned, but we will work on them after finishing the demo because they are not relevant until then.

We will probably don't upload any videos or screenshots before the demo comes out, but we can asure you that it will be of high quality giving you a good impression of the game's atmosphere and gameplay. The homepage will most likely start parallel to the demo, so there probably won't be much updates within the next weeks.

We are still looking forward to comments & criticism and hope, that somebody will help us with some voice acting.

Thanks for your interest.

[/url]
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 15:40
Looks really good. Keep it up!

Favorite Quote: Dramatized code? Code Drama!

Generic Hero
Years of Service
User Offline
Things look like they're going well. I haven't searched for a demo (I just got back from holiday) so is their one? If not when's it coming? Keep up the good work this looks awesome.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 00:00:56
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 00:00:56