Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Iconstuff

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 08:41 Edited at: 14th Apr 2008 08:44
hey, all. a recent thread in the Newcomers forum HERE made me wonder if 1) others had a proper Icon Editor and 2) others realized the need to have (and the ability to) include various sizes/formats of your custom icon within itself.

first, here's a link to AWIcons. they offer a completely free version (AWIcons Lite) that i've been using for many years which includes features such as alpha/transparency tools, antialiasing, gradients, text, and many standard drawing tools. beside icons, it loads/saves cursors, animated cursors, and icon libraries.

second, a reminder to include standard formats in your icon so windows has something appropriate to display, which it will do automatically if one is included in your icon.

AWIcons makes it pretty easy (see the screenshot). once you create your standard 32x32x32 bit icon, right-click it as shown and choose "create standard formats...". it will then generate the rest for you. you also have the option to include completely different icons for various sizes/formats. ie, 1 for desktop shortcuts and 1 for the taskbar, so you can be creative here, too. when you save your icon, all formats are saved inside the single .ico file.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP

Attachments

Login to view attachments
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 13:34
Cool! Until now, I've been using easyicons xp.

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2008 19:39
All I use is MSPaint as Darkbasic can also use a BMP as an icon

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2008 01:03
Quote: "
All I use is MSPaint as Darkbasic can also use a BMP as an icon"

yeah, but what does your app use as an icon in the taskbar? that's what the thread i linked to was about. trying to give your app. just a little extra "polish". plus trans/alpha stuff an .ico gives vs bmp's. but, it's all better than the DB Pyramid anyway.

Virtual Nomad
AMD XP 1800+ (~1.6 Ghz) / 1.5 GB RAM
ATI Radeon 8700LE 128 MB / Windows XP
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2008 17:23
I bought a few packages, but the one I like the most is Axialis IconWorkshop 6. Is great for mixing up templates and shoving out pro looking icons in no time. Plus they have a pretty good library for most requirements and so is dead easy to just chuck out a batch of good looking alphablitted png icons in no time.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Current fave quote : "She was like a candle in the wind.... unreliable...."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 22:57:05
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 22:57:05