Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / BiggAdd's Tutorials.

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2008 18:39 Edited at: 5th May 2008 18:39
That is very kind of you. I'll definitely consider the off when things are up and running.

Cheers for all your comments!

BiggAdd

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 00:05
Honestly, it looks nice and well designed, but it doesn't have enough of that 'BiggAddness' that makes all your work so amazing.

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 00:06
Bah, I think it's plenty biggaddy.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 00:12
Cheers for your comments guys.

I know what you mean about it, I'm actually not so keen on it myself.

I'll have to play around a little, see what I come up with.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 6th May 2008 23:16
Question for BigAdd: Have you ever messed with GIMP? I just downloaded and have played with it and I absolutely love it!
I've watched youtube tutorials of how to do effects with it and compared those to Photoshop tutorials and it's INSANELY similar. Best of all it's free, which is much needed for me as I cannot afford to spend $800+ USD...lol

Thanks BigAdd!!
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2008 23:56
Photoshop is still better in the end though - Besides, a bad download of GIMP wiped my hard drive with a virus once long ago...

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2008 03:36 Edited at: 7th May 2008 03:37
I figured it would be, but still for people who can't afford Photoshop (and can't find cheaper previous versions, I tried and couldn't find it under $300) GIMP looks like the way to go.

BTW Adam, excellent template! But I agree, there needs to be a little bit more BigAdd pizazz!

Thanks BigAdd!!
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 18:26
I could do some g.i.m.p tuts sometime soon Yodaman jer, depends, I aitn touched it for awhile now.
also download a mod called gimpshop, its a modification for gimp.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2008 18:32
Where can I get gimpshop?

Thanks BigAdd!!
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2008 18:46
google is you're best friend.

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 7th May 2008 19:19
Yup, I figured that out about two minutes after I posted that, lol.

IT does sound cool (makes gimp more like photoshop), but I've grown used to the interface already and once I do that, there's no pulling a 180 and doing something else. However I will keep this in mind in case I can get photoshop one day and user that to learn it...

Thanks BigAdd!!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 18:39
Quote: "Photoshop is still better in the end though - Besides, a bad download of GIMP wiped my hard drive with a virus once long ago..."

I doubt GIMP ever distributed a virus. More likely is that you were already infected and the virus installed itself on your downloaded file.

Anyways, GIMP rocks, it's pretty much all I use for photo editing.

Hurray for teh logd!
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2008 18:50
It was a bad mirror site I downloaded off of - they must have loaded the virus themselves.

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2008 05:58
I wanna see that pixar style cloud you showed in that other thread.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
Sid Sinister
Years of Service
User Offline
HOT SECTS BigAdd! That template is freaking amazing. Gave me a few good ideas for my own portfolio site. I like your sense of design, I swear you would make tons off of being a graphic designer. I'm not even joking, I go to school with graphic designers all around me, and your stuff is hot.

"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants" - Isaac Newton
-Computer Animation Major @Baker.edu-
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 20:09
Quote: "Question for BigAdd: Have you ever messed with GIMP? I just downloaded and have played with it and I absolutely love it!
I've watched youtube tutorials of how to do effects with it and compared those to Photoshop tutorials and it's INSANELY similar. Best of all it's free, which is much needed for me as I cannot afford to spend $800+ USD...lol"

I have dabbled in Gimp, but not excessively. It seems to be a very good application.
Download Gimpshop like LT Tatters has already suggested.

Quote: "BTW Adam, excellent template! But I agree, there needs to be a little bit more BigAdd pizazz!"

Cheers, I honestly don't like it, Feel it is a little bit to big. I will be doing another site shortly, Have a name figured out for it.
Thanks though!

Quote: "I wanna see that pixar style cloud you showed in that other thread."

Sure! I still need to perfect the technique. Still not 100% comfortable with the end result.

Quote: "HOT SECTS BigAdd! That template is freaking amazing. Gave me a few good ideas for my own portfolio site. I like your sense of design, I swear you would make tons off of being a graphic designer. I'm not even joking, I go to school with graphic designers all around me, and your stuff is hot."

Heh, Cheers. So far I've made a grand total of £0 through designing.
Hopefully aiming to start working for money soonish, Usually I'm just happy playing about. But after buying my new Intuos3, would like to start getting some money back.

Will be changing the site soon though, Would like it to look a bit more 3D, playing around with lighting etc.

Like in the Logo I recently did for Steve Vink: (If you haven't seen it already, Hope he doesn't mind me posting it here)

(All done in Photoshop)

Thanks for all your comments.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2008 22:17
I saw that already, I thought you had made it.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 05:58
Early version of the new site:

Would like to know what you think.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 08:45
That looks much better than the old desing.. But still it lacks something and makes it look bit "dull" :/

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it was too big
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 10:51
Quote: "Like in the Logo I recently did for Steve Vink: (If you haven't seen it already, Hope he doesn't mind me posting it here)"

Don't mind at all. Rick Also loves it, he made a point of commenting on it.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 13:00
It still lacks Biggadd pizazz. You need to make people go into shock when they see the site for the first time.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 22:25
This one is much better, I actually like it alot. It's very eye catching, but then easy on the eyes, and the layuot is simple and clean. I would go with it, but if you want to make changes then theres no problem with that either.

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2008 23:10
Quote: "Don't mind at all. Rick Also loves it, he made a point of commenting on it."

Thats good to hear! Glad I could be of some use.

Quote: "It still lacks Biggadd pizazz. You need to make people go into shock when they see the site for the first time."

I know! It's awful isn't it. I'm able to do design work for other people, but when I work on my own projects, I just mess up to the highest degree.

The only thing I'm happy about is the name and logo.

Quote: "This one is much better, I actually like it alot. It's very eye catching, but then easy on the eyes, and the layuot is simple and clean. I would go with it, but if you want to make changes then theres no problem with that either"

Cheers, It is better than the last, but I'm still not 100% with it, its by no means finished, but not sure I like where it is heading.

Thanks again for all your comments.

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2008 08:14
i like the original 1, looks the same as the new 1, but the odler 1 is better imo

Free Webhosting = http://unlhosting.info --Send support ticket to get ad free
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 06:04 Edited at: 21st May 2008 06:49
Quote: "i like the original 1, looks the same as the new 1, but the odler 1 is better imo"

Fair enough! I'm taking it on a new route now, wasn't happy with either of them, ended up hating the wood BG and brownish colour scheme.

Here is the header so far of the new site:

Better? Worse?

[EDIT]Update:

Thanks for all your comments!

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 09:00
Sorry for double post.

Just a quick rendering update, hated the way the logo/text looked. "Too cartoony"

Hopefully this is a tad better:

Cheers,
BiggAdd

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 12:41
Looking good. Your only issue might be the amount of empty space above the top of the logo when on a site. I guess the workaround would be to use it for site navigation, in a subtle way.

What's the easiest way to get the curved-reflection look (like the effect in the word "Media")? I do it manually, and quite often. Just wondered if there was a quick 'n' easy way.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 13:00
When biggadd does it it looks too smooth to be done by hand...

Either way, amazing logo.
So, since the "N" is small, should it be said "Media Photon" or "Media Photo N". Confusing...

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 20:17
I just use the pen tool, he might have too, but if I as the noob I am does it like that I doubt he is too

If someone says "pls" because it is shorter than "please" I say "no" because it is shorter than "yes"...
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 21:11 Edited at: 21st May 2008 21:12
Quote: "Looking good. Your only issue might be the amount of empty space above the top of the logo when on a site. I guess the workaround would be to use it for site navigation, in a subtle way."

Thanks! I'm actually thinking of using the top left for a slice of add space, then the top right for signing in etc. Hopefully this won't look too cluttered.

Quote: "What's the easiest way to get the curved-reflection look (like the effect in the word "Media")? I do it manually, and quite often. Just wondered if there was a quick 'n' easy way."

I'm not sure of the quickest way, but this is how I go about it:

Step 1 - Make your text/shape. I usually use a darker colour, this time round I used a dark red for the text, then in the blending options used a gradient set to the blend mode of "Overlay".

Step 2 - Select the layer by CTRl+Click on the picture, then go into the gradient tool, and set up a gradient of (White 100%-opacity) to (White 0%-opacity).

Step 3 - Make a new layer, then apply the gradient from the top left hand corner, somewhere further out of the bottom right.

Step 4 - Grab your elliptical marquee tool, And draw an elipse over the gradient you just made, like so:

Step 5- Press delete and your done. Hope that helped.

Quote: "Either way, amazing logo."

Tank you very much!

Quote: "Either way, amazing logo.
So, since the "N" is small, should it be said "Media Photon" or "Media Photo N". Confusing..."

It is Media Photon. I will probably clarify that for the use when they first come to the page, by saying "Welcome to Media Photon" , or something along those lines.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 22:26
Wow! Thanks for the great method. Put that in a tutorial!!!

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2008 22:26
Thanks for this! I had a little play around with this too, seems to be a nice little trick in my book, and of course others.

BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2008 08:43
Quote: "Wow! Thanks for the great method. Put that in a tutorial!!!"

Thanks, I'll probably give it a quick go over in a later video.

Quote: "Thanks for this! I had a little play around with this too, seems to be a nice little trick in my book, and of course others."

Cheers. Some artists might argue that by not using masks and vectors, the image no longer becomes scalable. But I just think it is quick enough to do it this way, when or if you do scale the image, its easy just to do it again.

Minor update on the site. Not had the chance to work on it much, been a little busy:

Cheers,
BiggAdd

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 12:42
Now what is that lovely font you are using?

If someone says "pls" because it is shorter than "please" I say "no" because it is shorter than "yes"...
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2008 15:55
Agency FB. Quite a nice font.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 02:14
Saw the new one! Great stuff, I learned a bunch more!

Insert Name Here
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2008 14:23
Always nice to see a bit more of the Biggadd 'wow!'

Lee Bamber - Blame Beer
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 01:21 Edited at: 3rd Jun 2008 22:52
The only problem I have with it is that the sound is very quiet. Turn on the microphone boost or something - I had to have my volume maxed out to hear it properly.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was my fault.

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 01:29
Whats this adam,a change of avatar, is this a hint, next month are we doing animated pictures?
OMG I can`t wait. Also nice lighting tut.

dab
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 02:00
haha I had to set there and figure out who Adam was

@BigAdd - I love your stuff man! I'd have to say I don't really like your template much, the header makes the rest look bad. In fact, I'm in love with that header. Just looking at your work, it inspired me to make things more "BigAdd"ish.
SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 02:00
I changed my avatar also!

Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2008 02:03
dude, I have to use that tut, that looks awsome.

SunnyKatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 18:24
Where was the latest tutorial? It wasn't in the newsletter. Grr.
Did you give up? Sorry for the major thread necromancy here.

Favorite Quote: Dramatized code? Code Drama!

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2008 18:35
Yeah, I really wanna know how you did that spiderwebby stuff.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 23:49:29
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 23:49:29