Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / [STICKY] FPI EditPad V3.3.95

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 01:25 Edited at: 8th Apr 2009 01:26
Quote: "But, there are some commands I am at a loss with and I am looking for help with those."

Sorry but I can't help with any script stuff as I've barely used it. But I can change the version number.

Gamer X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 04:32
Congrats FL on getting FPI Editpad on the fpscreator home site.

Here Have a couple on me.

knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 12:04
Umm, I've just installed it and decided to write a basic script but I'm getting an error about the 'localvar=' condition and I can't go to a new line until I've fixed it.

See attached pic.

knxrb

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
thats because localvar= is an action not a condition.

Your signature has been erased by a mod, because it is larger than 600x120.
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 19:38
But I'm trying to check what a variable value is, I need to set the localvar to check before I can check it.

knxrb

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
yes so an example would be

:state=0,always,localvar=1,state=1
:state=1,varequal=1:activateifused=1

Your signature has been erased by a mod, because it is larger than 600x120.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 20:39 Edited at: 8th Apr 2009 20:47
It takes a little bit to wrap one's head around how to use the variable system.

First, hockeykid is right localvar= is an action and not a condition. Thus, the error message. You cannot use an action command as a condition. If we let that go your script wouldn't work anyway. Remember, the engine is absolutely forgiving regarding scripts. The engine will not crash but the script simply will not work. So how do you use the variable system?

Before you use any of the actions or conditions regarding a variable you must identify which variable is in question. State 0 is correct. you identify local variable #1 and then set that variable to 1. Since the pointer is to local variable #1 already, you don't have to repeat it. Especially since this is a local variable for this entity only. Therefore, all that is required is:

:state=1,varequal=1:destroy

the "varequal" action command is checking what is stored in local variable #1 which you have indicated in state 0.

Edit:

hockeykid, you posted before I got finished.

BTW, "always" is not actually necessary. Especially along with a state. Once state is changed to another value then the old state will not execute. If you want to always have an action execute you would use the "condition" always by itself:

:always:localvar=1

Note: You have to be careful with that line as you are always changing the value to 1. You more than likely will have problems if you want another local variable set within the script.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
knxrb
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2009 22:42
Ok, thanks for the tutorial

knxrb

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 17:24
Bump. This was slipping a couple pages away, and a LOT of people need this with all the questions being asked lately...
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
yes and the link isnt working

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 17:30 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 17:31
Quote: "yes and the link isnt working"

EDIT: Which link?
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 17:44 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 17:45
the download link

EDIT: It works sorry...

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2009 21:06 Edited at: 28th Apr 2009 21:08
Thanks, I apptreciate the bump. I've been concentrating on the other program -- FPSC MediaOrg -- so hadn't noticed. Soon after FPI EditPad was placed on the FPSC download web page I had asked a moderator if this or a new one could be stickied. Apparently the forum powers decided against it. Oh well.

I was thinking about adding another "insert" to EP. I have been using the set target sequence quite often lately as it can make a more powerful script. It is especially useful for character scripts as they don't have an IfUsed parameter.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Apr 2009 13:02
I whole-heartedly agree that this should be stickied!

I'm sorry I didn't see your previous posts, FL! This thread slipped away and I never saw them.

Email me anything you would like help with and that'll guarantee that I'll see it.

If you'd still like some assistance with those script commands, just let me know. I can toss together example scripts of anything you'd like.

The one and only,

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 01:02
Finally, I've stuck this for you.

Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2009 17:05
Quote: "Finally, I've stuck this for you"

It's about time!

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Since there are like 5 different mods that are coming out for v1.15 can you add all of there commands to the list?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2009 23:32
You can add the commands to the list yourself. FPIEditPad allows you to add/edit/remove commands fromt he help file.

The one and only,

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2009 18:09
Uh-oh, see attached, I\'ve tried re-installing and everything . I have used it before and this is a great piece of software FL . Oh, and sorry about the size of the pic, I\'m running my computer at 1080I lmao.

-SSG

XBOX broken
FPSC-Online Forums

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 20:08
Sorry this took so long for me to respond. The richTX32.ocx is an extremely important piece to the program as a whole. It is the core actually.

Anyway, I'm not sure what exactly you had done, but this is what I will first recommend. Click on Start button and then select the Control Panel. Select Add or Remove Programs and remove (uninstall) FPI EditPad. Then go to the FPSC download page and download FPI EditPad installer from there -- it is at the very bottom. Unzip the installer exe and run the install program. This will re-install everything that is needed. But you need to uninstall the app first. If you are using VISTA then there is probably a different way for you to uninstall EditPad that I am not familiar with so you're on you own there. These instructions is for an XP OS. If this doesn't work, you may have to go into Windows System32 folder and delete that OCX file manually and any other file with the same root name and then re-install. It possibly could be corrupted. Hope this works for you.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2009 20:23
Hey Flatlander,

I was wondering, I added in the New actions and conditions of the mod here, and I was wondering how to edit the help file. If that is possible?

,thanks.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 06:50
Which help file are you meaning? The internal help file accessed through text files or the MS help file. Used when clicking on "help"

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2009 23:18
The help file for what commands do when you hover over them in the program.

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 20:00
@FL,

It still didn't work and I even tried removing it from the Registry...My computer is better than my dad's (exception for the RAM ) yet it cannot run this . Any other solutions? I really need a decent scripting software fro FPSC and this was my first thought. Without this, my game won't own lol.

-SSG

XBOX repaired!
FPSC-Online Forums
SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 20:00
@FL,

It still didn't work and I even tried removing it from the Registry...My computer is better than my dad's (exception for the RAM ) yet it cannot run this . Any other solutions? I really need a decent scripting software for FPSC and this was my first thought. Without this, my game won't own lol.

-SSG

XBOX repaired!
FPSC-Online Forums
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:01
@SikaSina Games

Is your OS VISTA? It will run under VISTA. But there could be something I am not aware of that is causing the problem. I thought the original install automatically included the MSVB runtime files. That is another possibility. I will find the link to download the VB runtime files.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:04 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 22:46
@Apple Slicer

Click on "Help/Contents/How To Use FPI EditPad/Add Commands to FPI List" This will give you help on adding commands.

I posted this on the first page: but will post it here once more.

You can manually add any subsequent commands that Lee provides yourself.

There are two files for each of the action and condition commands:

actions.lst
hlpActions.def, and

conditions.lst
hlpConditions.def.

The ".lst" files are divided into categories.

Action Categories

[PLAYER], [ENTITY MOVEMENT], [ENTITYPLAYER INTERACTION], [ENTITY/TARGET INTERACTION], [ENTITY], [SOUND], [VARIABLES], [ANIMATION], [MULTIPLAYER], [HUDS], [LIGHTSAMBIENCE], [GAME], [MISC]

Condition Categories

[PLAYER], [ENTITY], [COLLISION], [HUDS], [ANIMATION], [VARIABLES], [MISC]

When adding an action or condition into the list be sure and place it into the correct category. The definition for that command can be in any order. Just place the newest one at the top.

How to place an action or condition command into the list and definition files.

The command that goes into the ".lst" file is lowercase. If there is a required variable assigned to it you should follow the command with an equal sign.

Example

plrdisable
incvar=

The command that goes into the ".def" file is uppercase. If there is a required variable assigned to it you should follow the command with an equal sign and an X. Also the definition shall also be placed in this file after the X.

Example

PLRDISABLE - Freezes player and disables camera and gun.
INCVAR=X - Increases the value of the current variable by X

IMPORTANT EDIT:

Us the tilde (~) for a new line within the definition.

e.g.

ACTIVATED=X - This is true when the activation value of the entity equals X.~The action "Activate" will set the activation value for the entity within the same script.~However, the "Activateifused" action will reset the activation value from another entity's script.~Whatever the current acivation value is it will be used to check the "X" value of the condition.~

--------------------------------------

Notice the use of the tildes. The tilde on the end will cause a blank line.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:15
I cannot run the help file at all. Windows says that it discontinued this program, so I cant do anything about it.

oh well.

Thanks for the help though.

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:19
Quote: "Is your OS VISTA? It will run under VISTA. But there could be something I am not aware of that is causing the problem. I thought the original install automatically included the MSVB runtime files. That is another possibility. I will find the link to download the VB runtime files."

Yes, I'm running Vista Home Premium with 1GB RAM and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Dual-Core Processor. I'll try doing the registry thing again to see if there's any more luck. Thanks for helping me out, FL . Good luck finding the VB files, hopefully they might do some good.

-SSG

XBOX repaired!
FPSC-Online Forums
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:29 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 22:36
@Apple Slicer

You must be running VISTA. There is a file available that can be installed on VISTA that will allow the old MS help files to run. Seems like I mentioned it somewhere in this thread.

Here's the link you need to be able to run help (.hlp) files in VISTA. If you don't have VISTA then you must be missing some MS file that is needed for it to work.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6EBCFAD9-D3F5-4365-8070-334CD175D4BB&displaylang=en

@SikaSina Games

Here is the MS link. However, if this doesn't work I'm not sure what to do because I am not familiar with VISTA. However, I do know that this does work on VISTA as I tried it on a friends machine.

Redistributable Run-Time Files for VB6

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:30
Ok, FL, it works now . What I did is that I entered the registry itself and removed the RICHT32 registry and the OCX file itself. Then I run a quick diagnostic to check that everything was Ok (and it weas) and re-installed. Thank you for the help and I can nopw use this great piece of software (I love saying nice things, don't I?). I'll notify you of any more problems ASAP if I come across any.

-SSG

XBOX repaired!
FPSC-Online Forums
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:32 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 22:34
@Apple Slicer

Here is the link for that file you need:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=6EBCFAD9-D3F5-4365-8070-334CD175D4BB&displaylang=en

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:59 Edited at: 25th Jun 2009 22:59
yeah i tried it. I have windows 7, and it tells me its incompatable.

Its okay. Thanks again

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 04:36 Edited at: 26th Jun 2009 04:37
@Apple Slicer

Isn't Windows 7 still in beta? Here is what MS says in their knowledge base.

Note At this time, there is no WinHlp32.exe download available for Windows 7 or for Windows Server 2008 R2. However, separate downloads for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 will be offered after the RTM versions of these products are available to public.

It is found at this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

So, eventually it will work.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 05:03
Well, I have the RC1 version of Windows 7. I will have to look into it a little more here.

Thanks Terry.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 09:28
I don't believe the RTM version has been released yet. I have heard Windows 7 is scheduled to be released to manufacturing in late October 2009 (RTM). Retail release should be a month or two after, so late November 2009, just before the holiday season. Just a guess. So, when will Winhlp32.exe be ready for Window's 7? Who knows.

At least the application works in Windows 7. That's a relief to know they are still supporting VB6 for the moment. Once MS quits supporting VB6, then it is possible that FPI EditPad will die along with it.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 09:31
Well, not quite. I have used Visual Basic 6, and the newest one. You could just import the program in the latest version. I think. I am not sure exactly how you coded the app.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 21:35
I used a lot of Windows API's. At one time MS said that they were going to discontinue VB6 and everything had to be imported/rewritten in .NET. However because of a lot of resistance from large corporations who have major investments in VB6 (would cost a lot to do any re-writes and/or imports) MS has made sure that the newer OS's are backward compatible--this is also why the old ".hlp" files are being supported. Yes it can be imported but it will take work to debug which there will be plenty of that to do. I will not be able to do that. I had one foot in the grave already and I'm not real confident on being able to finish anything new. I am working as fast as I can on the RPG mod and I have already lost the confidence of the people who were going to purchase it. They no longer are interested in it and are looking into several different options for creating their educational game apps. So, if I am able to finish it it will probably just be given to the FPSC community. When I finish the first phase of it, I need to work on a "pirate" game for my Grandson and then continue with phase two of the mod project.

Apple Slicer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2009 12:52
Perhaps in a future update, the Auto syntaxing popup can be eliminated, because it is quite annoying when i am trying to write a line, and copy and paste some code...

Instead of a popup, text can be at the bottom on the "Info bar" and even flash, and a button to the right of it could highlight the error?

Or, the text simply turns grey in the "infected area"...

I dont know, just saying.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2009 23:02 Edited at: 12th Aug 2009 23:07
The auto syntaxing is for the beginner using primarily syntax provided by Lee's engine.

If you don't want auto syntaxing on then just simply turn it off. When you are ready for syntax checking then you can do so manually.

Since I use my own program all the time, I do have to turn off "auto-syntaxing" each time I run the program because I have not included the "RPG" commands as yet.

Apple Slicer it's a good suggestion but I don't think I will change it since there is the capability of turning it off. MS uses it with their app development programs and although it is annoying sometimes it is still very useful in finding bad syntax so that it can be corrected at the time it is found. If I turn it off in VB6 I sometimes forget to change the code later and then I end up with bad code which actually takes more time to fix.

To turn it off click on the menu item "Options." You will see a drop down menu with a check mark next to "Auto Syntax Check." Click on this menu item and that will uncheck (unflag)
"auto check" and will turn off auto syntax checking.

Addendum:

You shouldn't have any problems with copy and paste but I can understand where you might have problems with "cut" and paste if you cut out a "colon". I guess I don't have much of a problem with that so I tend to think that one can deal with it.

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Well updating plys code is REALLY needed, as in Project Blue hundred of new codes have been added and changes have been made, so that would be really nice if that would be updated.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2009 13:27 Edited at: 13th Aug 2009 14:00
I have made it so you can update it yourself. You can either update it through the app itself or modify the necessary ini files that are simply text files. I have explained how to do this several times within this thread.

Edit:
I will be doing the same with my own mod.

Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Aug 2009 16:39 Edited at: 25th Aug 2009 16:40
I dunno, why I haven't already commented on this particular application...

Thanks for all the hard work you've been putting in this program, it's safe to say that it's the best, and feature richest Scripting Editor Tool by far!

I've been using it for a long time now, and well, without this app I probably wouldn't ever been learning FPI... it's just so helpful to have all the commands in one place, with a small, fitting description without having to search trough the source-code.

The small templates are also a time-saving feature which are definitely appreciated.

And well, one of the best things... it's fast and I've never encountered any bugs with the newest, available version!

Thanks!

-Doomster, a satisfied user since the very beginning.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2009 03:42
Thanks man. I'm glad you have found it usefull. That was part of the purpose of creating this was in hopes of people learning how to script FPSC. I would have loved to have done more but, my, where does the time go!

-----------------------------------------------
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 23:12
Sorry for bringing this up and I don't know if you're still working on this but would it be possible in a future revision (if one is coming) to have the search box that pops up permanently to the front of all windows?

I do a lot of flipping back and forth through programs when creating media and it's a bit of a pain to have the search box disappear and having to flip and minimise to try to find it. Even if it put it's own title on the task bar so I could instantly click on it would be great!

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 23:19
Good suggestion. I will be making another another update (which will have some RPG Mod stuff in it for my mod). I was planning on doing taht as I'm having to put up with that myself and it is getting reeaaalllly, really old.

OliveTreeGames
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 01:41
Howabout making it where you dont have to go C:\program files\ the game creators\fps creator\files\scriptbank, but it automatically goes there when you click save?

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2009 16:59
Have you set the FPSC path in the options menu?

OliveTreeGames
Talairina
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 22:18
Would be nice to support the loading of the command files seperatly for various mods. For example I could load the command files from a toolbar option that would let me load the PB UM commands or Horror Mod etc. This would allow the scripter to only access the commands for the mod their using and would save some painful rewrites when they notice the command they wanted to use was for PBUM not Fenix Mod.

You could then provide a stock template file to the mod creators and ask them to populate it with their commands if they want your program to support it (Or even do the work yourself). This way your supporting more mods and more script writers will use the program.

I also second the find box mention a few posts up. Can be quite frustrating when im searching through a script and the box keeps disappering on me.

Another feature could be to add your own templates. For example I add countless lines of commented script to my files at the top to make it easier for me to read should i come back to. It would be easier for me to add all this to a template and simply click a single button (Or more to select from a list of templates perhaps?) and add the data in. Just a thought.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2009 23:44
Talairina, thanks for the suggestions. I do appreciate them. Here is my response.

Quote: "I also second the find box mention a few posts up. "

I will soon upload an updated exe file that takes care of this. I had it coded to do that but . . . well . . . I won't try to explain it. It was a logic error on my part and it didn't work.

Quote: "Would be nice to support the loading of the command files"

That would be nice, however, I have already mentioned that the command lines are within four text files. Somewhere in this thread I have explained how to edit the text files. There are two files for conditions (conditions.lst and conditions.hlp) and two for actions (actions.lst and actions.hlp). It will be up to you to create your own text files for each mod and then rename them when you want to use them for that mod. Now, if the mod developers want to create these then that would be great.

You have to remember that this is a free application and has limited support.

Quote: "This way your supporting more mods and more script writers will use the program."

Again, free software so I really don't care how many use it. I don't mean to sound arrogant or anything but that's just the facts.

Quote: "Another feature could be to add your own templates. For example I add countless lines of commented script to my files"

Actually, there already is a way to do this. I was sure that I included it in my meager help file. Of course the help file doesn't work with VISTA unless you download the patch.

Use the "repository" feature. Highlight from an open document what you want to reuse, then use the "save selection as" option. This will automatically take you to the "repository folder" and just save it there as a text file. You can then use the "insert" option and select "repository". This will insert whatever file you select.

If I should ever decide to rework this app and sell it, I will keep all these suggestions and others in mind.

OliveTreeGames

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:12:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:12:51