Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Really low frame rates

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 21:42 Edited at: 30th Jun 2008 21:49
waka - you read slightly incorrect information - it depends on the capabilties of the video card - and settings - I base this on the fact that I can get FPS higher than 60 PROVIDING I use the nvidia control panel, and adjust my settings to override "software control" and disable the "restrict refresh to monitor vsync".

Now in Windowed mode - I too get the topped 60fps... and this seems to be GDK related based on the fact that my latest DirectX deep dives have allowed me FPS in the 300fps range on my slow pc - IN WINDOWED mode! (funny thing is - haven't put my finger on it - in the project I'm doing in raw directx, the fps is higher windowed than full screen! LOL)

Lilith, you might have some settings in your video card that are likewise controlling your fate. As mentioned earlier the difference between software rendered and hardware acceleration can be significant as can CPU performance, and multimedia extensions I believe still may have an impact but this I'm not to sure on.

You might need to make a few benchmark timers in your functions - time in and time out - and analyze where you're code is spending the most time and work your way down - and see if the heavy spots might have any corrulation with how the rendering is happening for your different hardware setups.

-Jason

[edit] I wouldn't of wrote all this if I saw "Page 2" of this thread before I hit POST LOL

Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 22:01
To bring things up to date...

I just bought another Gig of memory which was added to the .5 Gig already there. My roommate swapped the video card for one of better quality. I get improved speed but not near 60 fps on my home machine. It now hovers around 40 fps, sometimes 42, sometimes as low as 38.

I may have to accept the situation but I still have trouble believing that the PC isn't capable of doing really simple 2D stuff at a higher frame rate with a 2.1 Gig processor and a competent video card.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2008 22:31
What card is it now? Also, try getting the latest drivers.
Lilith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 07:07
Quote: "What card is it now? Also, try getting the latest drivers"

This one is a Gigabyte Radeon 9600 Pro w/ 256 Meg RAM.

Lilith, Night Butterfly
I'm not a programmer but I play one in the office
Mahoney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 08:03
Probably won't make a difference, really. It still doesn't support DX 9.0.
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 17:35
The "Radeon 9600 Pro" is a DX 9 video card.
http://ati.amd.com/products/radeon9600/radeon9600pro/index.html

Almost anything from Radeon 9000 upwards is mostly DX 9. The only exception I can think of is the Radeon 9200. There may be more but I don't know of any others.
jason p sage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2008 17:36
lilith have you done the video card control panel thing to see if there are any bottleneck options set? Like Anti Alias etc that the vid card might be doing for you that you can turn off?

--JAson

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-30 03:17:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-30 03:17:08