Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] FPSC Model Store = Bad?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 08:26
Well, now that we've settled things, that leaves us with a new dawn. A dawn of discovery and a dawn of a new era of brilliant minded people helping other brilliant minded people on the TGC forums. This will become the TGC forum golden age! Those who join will be helped with more customer service than dealing with a person face to face. Those who have been members here for a while will feel the internet's wind sweep them off their feet. This new era will have focused people determined to help... OOOO! PUDDING!

*Ahem*

As I was saying... Now that everything is settled, is the TGC store really that bad?

Gunn3r Games
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
It's great!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 09:16
People, people.

Stop complaining (although most of it seemed to have stopped in the past few posts, where gunn3r, bond and Jenkins were clarifying their eariler posts and being generally friendly).

If you have issues with the TGC Store, then don't use it. Some people fail to see that there are more communities besides this one. I personally am going to sell my model packs at the TGC Store, on my website, and a bunch of other communities. It's not the end of the world if you think 50/50 is too harsh. I won't deny that I would like more money, but I'm not going to get worked up about it. Money is money, and if you are successful enough to reach the $500 mark, good for you. The money will keep accumulating, it's not as if the number gets reset if you don't do it in time.

I personally think the TGC Store is an excellent idea, and I applaud TGC for coming up with it. It makes everything so much simpler and connected, everything you need is right there, and FPSC is already an incredibly easy to use engine. Now you don't even have to stumble around the internet looking for stuff, you just press a button and boom, there you go. It's like Xbox Live. It just connects everything, you can buy games, movies, shows, you can play games with your friends, chat, and laugh at eachothers embarrassing gamerscores (may I add that achievements are one of the best things to happen to gaming, in my opinion).

Moral of the story: don't judge a book by it's cover, slow and steady wins the race, and greediness is always a losing game (those are the only ones I can think of).

Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 09:24
Yes bind i was just bored and wanted to join in on your challenge, i respect you emencly, and your work is fantastic not just your work you also seem like a cool guy.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 10:39 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 10:40
Quote: "Off-topic: Hey Sunflash! Haven't seen you around for quiet long. I was just looking through old threads the other day and saw your name, wondering where you had went."

I got a little busy with my intense schooling, I decided to graduate from highschool 4 years early, so for the past 2 years I've been quite sidetracked... Although I've finally gotton heavily addicted to the TGC community again, and am realising how much I really missed it... ah, good times

Mountain Dew, happiness in a bottle.
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 10:47
Quote: "I decided to graduate from highschool 4 years early"

Timeout. Not just the TGC community, the world needs to timeout lol. How the hell do you graduate high school 4 years early? High school is only 4 years long lol.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 11:09 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 11:09
*ahem* You are correct. But you are assuming I didn't graduated from middle school a year early

Oh, I also skipped kindergarten

Mountain Dew, happiness in a bottle.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 13:55 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 13:56
@Sunflash: Holy cr..umbs.
I can see why you've been a bit absent, it must've been hel..icopter going through all that schoolwork in so little time (stupid swearing filters, have to come up with creative replacement words ).

Anyhow, as for the point of this thread, I think the discussion has been pretty much put to a conclusion, so I see no point in further discussing it.

Check out the Gunn3r Games web-site and its growing community, and expand the joy of indie development!
http://www.gunn3rgames.net/
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 18:05
Quote: "You can't just argue for someone else if they don't have an issue with the situation at hand."

Excellent!

I went to see my doctor yesterday. I said, "Doc, it hurts when I do this." He said, "Don't do that."

Pretty simple really. It's not for everybody, but then no one is being forced to sell there.

Best.

crispex
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have a problem with the store, I simply don't use it because I'm satisfied with free alternatives. I might purchase something if I really want it, but otherwise, I control my spending.

And I personally don't think it's right that the TGC takes 50% of the profit. I beleive that the creator should get at least 75%. Did the TGC create that model? No. Did the TGC put effort into it? No. They simply add them to a list, it's like advertising, therefore they should only get about 25% of the profit. That's what I think.

Temporarly away from the Phoenix Sentry.
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 19:09
Quote: "And I personally don't think it's right that the TGC takes 50% of the profit."

Bond, to mention one of a couple of people in this thread, have made valid points as to why it isn't so bad after all. Your products are freely advertised in an application that's very widely used, and is growing even stronger with the release of the new free version. A lot of people start out with zero experience on game development, and they will soon realize that the library of media that comes with FPSC, although very large, requires some extension to make more interesting and original games. So there is money to be made, since the models are very cheap and of high quality, nearly anyone with some weekly or monthly income, be it allowance or payments from your job, can purchase the media.

Check out the Gunn3r Games web-site and its growing community, and expand the joy of indie development!
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 19:11 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 19:13
why not use it just to advertise yourself only, say you have an item, sell it in the store, cost it at two or three times more than what you are selling it on your own web site, people see the item in the store, do a search for your item on the web at half or a third of the cost and buy from you rather than TGC.

TGC dont pay out till 500 usd in money is made, is this total sales, or is this your net profit?

Evil Things Most Foulhttp://www.avantivitastudios.com/
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 19:14
Quote: "No. They simply add them to a list"

That's a little over simplified, I think. They created the store, the venue by which you sell, and provided an instant and pointed customer base. How long would it take and how much would it cost the normal modeler here to create a store, advertise it, and get the volume of specifically FPSC traffic that the TGC store provides?

Did TGC put effort into it? Oh yeah. Years of it.

Best.

Indie PC Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'm in no way trying to bash anyone. But I just can't understand how people can view the store as a bad idea...it's such a good idea that benefits users, sellers, and TGC alike."

Quote: "Did TGC put effort into it? Oh yeah. Years of it.
"

You also have to understand. Developers can also sell there stuff on there own and that is 100% profit. It is a win/win situation for everyone. Like I stated before there will still be free stuff. Maybe not as much but the store in no way is a bad idea as the content on there is way cheaper than anywhere else.

Indie

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 20:45
look im not here to fight im here to win a guy from bond,lol. do thease count, i got one as a freebie for buying ather ones, the other 2 i bought sepret. the rancer was 5 bucks but the other one was on discount when i bought it.if it does not count let me know and ill download a freebie then ill rig it and then post a screenie.

DSW
Little Bill
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 20:58
Not to be a hippy but... Duuudes.. Peace! Chill out man. Here, have some weed...

Ok. Seriously. I think the store is great. It's great for the buyer,seller,TGC and the freebie grabber. Everyone wins!

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 21:09
The store is there for people to show off their work, I do admit that %50 is a little high but as mentioned before, you can always sell your work somewhere else. This gives people the chance to show off what they can do and other work could pick up from it. Basically you're saying "I've got talent and I want to share it."

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 21:22 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 21:22
ok bond, that was not fair becouse they where not free, here is one that was free and still is, fpsc ready, animated. and as good as your latter stuff. well i guess it depends.

free
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/shockwave-w3d-warlock/142592

do i win? becouse im trying hard here.

DSW
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 21:46
Danial, i looked through every page of models all 432 of them with 200 models on each page i was tired so i never found anything good, lol.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 21:50
well i guess it depends on how you search, ive found many good guys on turbo sqide that are game ready, low poly and ready to inport. but im not here to fight. i just want to win a free guy

DSW
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 21:52
i know, i was actually doing it to find all the .x file models there where. I want to win a free guy too

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 21:54
ohh, well its a harder search for the .x files but if you do a starait search then you can see what extention there in on the right upper side. but i can take any file almost and convert it. anyone can, you just need milkshape or max.

DSW
Punk13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 22:06
ya, the was only half a page of .x files anyway, i guess its not a popular file type

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 23:25
Daniel, that wizard is not up to the same quality as Bond's work. It's good but you apparently haven't seen what Bond can do.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 23:25 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 23:27
Daniel, this is a 3ds max model. The file format is Kaydara FBX ( .fbx ). How is this FPSC ready? The only way is to mess with it. I don't even know what an fbx file format is.

Edit:

Jenkins is also right. It is not the same quality. I also thought Bond made it clear it had to already be FPSC ready as his models are. I would rather pay $5.00 than try and mess with a model to get into FPSC.

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 23:31 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 23:32
oh, alright, im right on it then, all the free guys here im doing now, all fpsc ready

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/Index.cfm/FuseAction/ProcessSmartSearch/istIncAuthor/theQiwiMan/blAuthorExact/y

and as me seing his work, i own almost all of it so yes ive seen it. and yes that wizard there is as good as alot of his stuff.

DSW
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 23:35
Here's a Wizard I found. I wasn't able to login to download it. This is a picture of the Wizard. It is in an X format. A little closer to being FPSC ready but not there yet. As they say at the County Fair, "Close but no cigar."

The past has a lot of memories to hold onto; but, today is chock full of new adventures, and, the future shouts out, "The best is yet to come!" -- TerryC
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 23:40 Edited at: 17th Jul 2008 23:53
well is he free? if so give me a link and ill maqke him fpsc ready with animations. then ill send him to you.

edit, ok here he is, i found him, im making him fpsc ready right now, all in ten min. ill post him for free with a link to download him. whith the artest link

DSW
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 23:57
I'm pretty sure Bond was just trying to prove a point. I think you guys may be taking him too literal lol.

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2008 23:58 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 00:04
Well, Daniel, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I admit it's good -- even the wizard's not bad -- but I think you're missing the point. They are not FPSC Ready -- from Turbosquid. However, I do understand your point. You are making it FPSC ready for us. So, that is the crux of the matter, now. Do we accept the "re-rigging" by you as a legitimate model to be distributed freely?

Here is what Turbosquid states in their licence agreement:

Quote: "The resale or redistribution by the Member of any Content obtained from TurboSquid, whether For Sale or freely available for download, whether part of a Valid Sale or not, is expressly prohibited unless it is Incorporated Content as licensed above."

The license states that it can only be used in a game. It states:

Quote: "(ii) As part of a game if the Content is contained inside a proprietary format and displays inside the game during play."

So, I personally don't think you can give this away freely even though you have re-rigged it. You can use it in your own games but you can't give it away for others to use. In other words I would have to download this myself and then re-rig it myself in order to use it in my own game.

Now, I believe they also allow for the fact that, if the person who originally created this model gives to you exclusive rights to give this away freely after reworking the model. However, you will need a written contract from the seller (member artist).

Trying to read through the "End User and Seller Agreement" is quite a task. Actually, only a lawyer could really figure it out.

Addendum:

Personally, I think you should be able to give them away free. After all, they were free in the first place; and, you are giving credit to the original artist. But, the TGC board may still frown upon it.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 00:07 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 00:09
well like i said im not trying to fight, but the man did say get one of the free ones fpsc ready, not one thats a static entitee, one that is a guy that works. that is what im doing. im sorry if i miss understood. if he did not mean it then dont say it right. but anyway, if its free then yes i can also in return give it free. as long as i give a link to the artiste page that made him. so people can also buy his stuff. im acully helping him sell his stuff. then i dont think he will have a problem right?

DSW
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 00:11
sorry i did not read all that till now, you might be right

DSW
TZap
Years of Service
User Offline
Personally I think we have been spoiled by the free stuff. I have no problem paying for some of the models in the store. Its a tribute to all the hard work people have put in.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 01:35
I agree with TZap. I don't mind paying for models. I have a job and I set aside some money every month for game development because that's my career choice. I'm taking the money I earn and supporting those who spent hours making the media, and it's fortunate that TGC put their store INSIDE FPSC, rather than TurboSquid, where it's completely separate and not FPSC ready. The fact the the TGC Store is integrated makes everything so much easier because I can click a couple buttons and have the model/sound/overlay or whatever inside my game and ready to play with, instead of re-rigging or messing with the animations...

Gunn3r Games
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 01:38
The other wizard on page 3 comes with 3D Gamestudio, at least the old A5 trial, I think. I think someone must've ripped it... It might be a widely used, free 3D-model though.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 01:57
no that wizard is one that is in the 12 fantasy guys from turbo sqide, here is the link.

he is also a free one from him.

http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/153779

DSW
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 02:26 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 02:27
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, yes. I'll keep my word. Here is some comparison pics. If you feel these are a worthy alternative to what the TGC Store offers, then send me an email and claim your free character. I won't ask even ask for a video, I assume they are doing something meaningful like attacking you, and that it was worth the time prepping these for FPSC, correct?

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 02:37 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 02:37
like i said bond i was only doing it to get your guy, as far as attacing you yes they all do.

DSW
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "like i said bond i was only doing it to get your guy"

No problem at all, I understand that - send me an email.

----------------------------------------
"Your mom goes to college."
Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 03:18
I feel sorry for you, bond. I would've felt really insulted by that comparsion. Comparing 1996 to 2008 is just not fair.

Well, as said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Which inspires me, maybe a Beholder-monster would be something worth making?

RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 03:22
Quote: "Daniel, that wizard is not up to the same quality as Bond's work. It's good but you apparently haven't seen what Bond can do."

I can re-quote that all day. Those creatures he found is like comparing nintendo 64 graphics to xbox 360.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 03:24 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 03:26
Ill say it again

Quote: "
TGC dont pay out till 500 usd in money is made, is this 500 usd total sales, or is this your 500 usd net profit?"

Lets have some actual details of the actual store terms, not what you download from turbosquid or whatever.

electric chihuahua
Years of Service
User Offline
Why do you think 50% is not fair? Marketing, web management, advertising etc. is expensive.

I manufacture a product we sell locally and online. Maintaining a web presense and payment gateway is not free. Magazine advertising is very expensive. Packing/ shipping etc. We have spent quite a bit getting our item made and promoted and it will be some time before I recoup my investment.

TGC offers a great way to market directly to your target audience and does not cost you one cent to start. Think long term. 3D models can sell while you are on vacation, asleep, at school etc. Residual income. You don't have to maitain the site or advertise. You don't have to process the order or answer calls etc.

This is supplemental income for the model makers. I don't think anyone believes they can make their sole living by selling here.
Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 03:54 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 03:55
well, for one thing Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and well, i fill thease are real close as his, as far as texture go his are bigger maps is all, he has buitifull stuff but that was not the point. the point was that there are things with this quality in the store that is selling for three to four bucks apiece, to where this was free, not the same quality to you, but to me and the people playing my game they are, they just want a good game with lots of enimys. as far as nintendo 64 graphics, nintendo 64 could not push thease modles.now, when i build a large game with at least a good 300 modles in it, i need them to be as cheap as i can get them as for alot of people. and when you go from selling stuff for one dollar apiece then it jumps to 5 dollars apiece it really sucks. not that in time when i save up then money ill buy some , but ill buy every single store item when the prices go down to what they where when i was buying modle packs. we all can have the same argument just for bond ones modles. you have to remember that there are many good artistes in the store not just one. they all need to lower there prices for us. im not asking for free stuff just be fair about it. all the modles are not 5 dollars but its starting to climb to that. if people where really happy with the way thing where then this thread would not be here and there would not be some people agreing with us all. shure there are some people happy with the way things are but for thoughs people i say hats off to you. but i think i speake for alot of us that say we all are not millionares, some of you are just kids that dont have the money.some of us have the money like me but am trying to save as much as we can to market our game to the publick. so i say do 2 things, pay your sellers when they make a sell, or at least once a month no matter how much they have made. 2, lower your prices for all the good people that bought your softwhere. i payed over four hundered dollars for all your softwhere i should have to pay that much more for your modles either.

DSW
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 04:12
Quote: "they all need to lower there prices for us"

WOW! I started to write ten different things and none of them could express the way I feel after reading that post.

Perhaps you should just stick with the free models.

Best.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 04:17
Quote: "I started to write ten different things and none of them could express the way I feel after reading that post."

Well I gave up trying to say something after reading this... It left me speechless:

Quote: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and well, i fill thease are real close as his, as far as texture go his are bigger maps is all"

[center]
RedneckRambo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 04:19
That's exactly what I was thinking xplosys. I have never heard a more self centered statement in my entire life.

All you have shown is a few low quality models that you needed to re-rig yourself. They aren't anywhere near the quality of Bond's work. I would personally be offended if you tried to compare those to my work if I was as talented as Bond.

Quote: "the rancer was 5 bucks"

If you paid 5 dollars for that model then your opinion makes no sense. You are complaining about paying 5 dollars for models that are three times better than that rancor which cost 5 dollars.

From my eyes, and from others I'm sure, you truly don't deserve a free model from Bond.

Roger Wilco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 04:33 Edited at: 18th Jul 2008 04:34
Quote: "From my eyes, and from others I'm sure, you truly don't deserve a free model from Bond."

Definetly agreed.

I agree with Xplosys and Thraxas too. If you've ever been around the net to sites like SomethingAwful.com, you'll probably have read some awful stories of different types, about people who let their kids push them around and even hit them, to mention one of many things that can be read. But I must say, this beats anything I've ever read. It may sound exaggerated , but seriously...

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 05:11
Who gives a hoot about free models, and whos models are better than whos, and again I ask for the hard of thinking.

TGC dont pay out till 500 usd in money is made, is this 500 usd total sales, or is this your 500 usd net profit?"

Or are we going to have a load more posts whos model is best and how many free models are at turbopants.

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jul 2008 05:18
As far as I can tell they don't pay until $1000 is made... That's when you get your $500... I don't know if this is total sales or net profit... That will have to be answered by a seller

[center]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-11 07:25:19
Your offset time is: 2024-10-11 07:25:19