Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / (Online Beta!) Time Front: Battle of the Ages

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2008 23:13
The problem has been found out....finally! I'm working on a way around it now.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 01:46
Now that progress continues, I've been working on the sword system in the game. I also made this axe:

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 15:47
Ahh! Hopefully we get that soon

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2008 23:02
You will!

For now, here's a shot of a scimitar my brother made:

Agent Dink
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice looking stuff

MISoft Studios - Silver-Dawn Gorilda is lost!

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 15:37
Really nice stuff! Cant wait to see more.

Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 18:39
Nice, I could make some models for you, if you want...

Make games, not war.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2008 23:26 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2008 23:27
Thanks guys!

Quote: "I could make some models for you, if you want..."

Thanks, but I already have someone helping me.

The sword is now in and fully functioning! You can attack and parry at the moment, but I hope to add more moves. If you attack at the same time it will clash. There are sound effects in and everything. Here's a shot of the sword:

Parry:

You really have to see the animations to appreciate it.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 11:33
I found a new way to post updates:

http://getclippings.com/image.php?id=1036398

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 10:52 Edited at: 31st Aug 2008 10:52
Big update! MP40 added. The whole screen shakes when you fire:

This is a shot while reloading. As you can see, the magazine has been pulled out:

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 11:47
I know this is slightly random, but I just love those trees.

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 12:04
Id love to see some videos of these weapons in multiplayer
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 12:18
Second.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Isnt it weird to have guns in a game where you use swords, bows etc

The admiral
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2008 14:43
Quote: "Isnt it weird to have guns in a game where you use swords, bows etc
"

A lot of popular games such as for example World of Warcraft does that as well, and it does it quite nicely as well.

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont remember guns being in wow...

The admiral
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 04:05
Hunter uses them...if there is a hunter class only played it once on a trial and went around and annoyed people...but I remember them.

RIP Max-Tuesday, November 2 2007
You will be dearly missed.
flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
were are the download links?

[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]
Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 08:52
Top of the page. If you only have it set to show you like 25 posts per page or some such nonsense then it's at the top of the first page.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2008 09:20 Edited at: 1st Sep 2008 09:21
Quote: "I know this is slightly random, but I just love those trees."

Thanks! My program Vegetator Professional is what did it (models made with Tree Magik).

Quote: "Id love to see some videos of these weapons in multiplayer"

I can do that. It's fully functioning right now, my brother and I have actually played for quite a while, the bow and sword are fun to fight with.

Quote: "Isnt it weird to have guns in a game where you use swords, bows etc"

Well, the plot with Time Front has to do with a break in time where all ages are messed up. At certain points in the game I will have the whole map warp to the next era.

The server is not up right now but you can still do the training mode. I will be posting an update pretty soon for everyone to try.

I already have a server set up (the main server), but I need someone with fast and high-bandwidth internet to host an actual game for people to join.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2008 08:18 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2008 08:20
Ok! now the gun actually fires and leaves bullet holes (works in multiplayer too). In fact, most the time when I tell you something, I've probably already added it to multiplayer too:

By the way, I added this quite a while ago, but this is the new interface my brother made:

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2008 03:51
add a 3d animated background, maybe a stream or a river, and its all good mate

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 23:17
Nice ideas Xenocyth, I may just do that.

HUGE update! Added crossfire effects to the gun, earth impact when shooting it (verses shooting a building), the particle system (animated, single plain particles which animate from separate images and looks and runs great), and the first particle effect when you shoot something: dust. I've dumped the old map because of the size and polys, made a new huge map with half the polys (this game is meant to have HUGE maps), and found a new way to apply my detail texture using blend mapping that doesn't make the terrain look washed out. I've also done some performance updates that increase the speed of the game. I also added BLOOM! I'll get some shots of the particle effects later, but for now, here's the new map:

The camera range looks too short here but that's because it's way above the player height:

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Sep 2008 23:55
Looks great Uncle Sam I hope you fixed some of those problems I was having earlier, cause it definitely looks to be improving alot.
Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 01:53
That first screen looks stunning!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 02:00 Edited at: 7th Sep 2008 02:06
@draknir_

Yes! I'm not sure if that bug ever happened to me before, but it's certainly not now! As for the escape thing, I don't have it in exactly that way (I should), but now you can backspace the text and then just press enter with a blank message if you want to cancel. I'll add the escape thing too.

@Alucard94

Thanks. I can run that shot over 60 fps I think, with the graphics all the way up on 1280x1024x32 in a local network game.

If you notice the second screenshot, it shows how much more vibrant the terrain texture is compared to the old blending mode, seen in earlier screen shots, where it looks faded.

Here's a video of the sword fighting. It's sooooooo jerky because of FRAPS, and the sound wouldn't record, but you can at least see it in action on a LAN connection, sort of. It doesn't look nearly as good as real life! The animations don't look good on that framerate. When the player moves the sword in front of his face, that's a parry, but it looks bad here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir371EVcimQ

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 02:22
Looks good man, I think you should use the location from the fist photo as a back ground for your title screen.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 04:01
Hahaha! Sweetness! That would work so great, just make a small scene with trees and grass swaying in the wind like the one above. Brilliant.

Osiris
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 04:05
Exactly, I think it would look awesome.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 04:18
It would indeed.

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2008 13:36
Wow thats stunning. Ok thats it i have to go back to coding! You've inspired me See my wip about in this month

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2008 02:52
Hahaha, glad to be an inspiration. I'll check out your WIP once it's posted.

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm...is there gonna be any objectives??

This kinda seems like savage to me...maybe add a 3rd person for melee weapons and first person for the gun and bow

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 05:58
Well that's one of the main differences, no 3rd person for the sword.

The main difference is the way it plays. Instead of destroying the stronghold to win (Savage), you must kill the lord of the enemy base. The map's are huge, way bigger than Savage maps. Rounds will last many hours and be likely played by many different players as some will leave and join. Unlike Savage squad leaders can build spawns and fortifications. Players will gather resources themselves, and resources will need to be transported by caravan (most likely). A lot could change at this point, but check http://timefront.atspace.com for more details.

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 06:52
Sounds like an interesting game mode. I can imagine it translating through different time zones nicely, in an ancient time zone you would build up wood fortifications and transport things by wagons, and in a more modernized time you could build up sandbags and transport by trucks. The more modernized version would probably be somewhat faster paced. It would be cool if you could set up artillery units, like in ancient times it would be a catapult, and in the more modernized time you could have an artillery gun. I can see you using a radio to call the player or AI controlling the artillery gun in the more modern time zone, but for an ancient time zone I'm not sure...a fire maybe?

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2008 08:21 Edited at: 11th Sep 2008 08:21
Nice ideas! My brother actually already modeled and animated a catapult for the game, so yes, I think it would fit in well. I'm thinking the artillery will probably be long ranged like you said. To signal where to fire in the medieval era, I was thinking maybe something like a flaming arrow? I was already planning on making a message system where you could write a note and attach it to an arrow.

EDIT: Keep 'em coming!

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 02:21 Edited at: 12th Sep 2008 02:25
The server isn't up or an error on my part? I forwarded port 3999.. Anyways I tried the training mode and it was fairly nice but I can't wait to try the online play.

EDIT: Nevermind read the first post.. Any idea when you'll have that main server up?

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
@Uncle Sam- in savage u can build spawn points....and there is huge maps in savage and ive been in a match for more than 3 hours...

but this still sounds really fun!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 11:33
Quote: "EDIT: Nevermind read the first post.. Any idea when you'll have that main server up?"

Sorry about that! I could have it up tomorrow, but the problem is I still need someone to host a game and send it to the main server (automatically). If you're going to host a server I could put it up in the morning (about 10 to 12 hours from now?)

Quote: "@Uncle Sam- in savage u can build spawn points....and there is huge maps in savage and ive been in a match for more than 3 hours...

but this still sounds really fun!"

Yeah, it's hard to explain I guess! You'll see.

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 17:07
That would be around 12-2PM for me, I'll be in school, tomorrow's saturday and I can give about 4-6 hours towards it if you'd like, just gimme a time (email or im me if you can)

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 19:11 Edited at: 12th Sep 2008 19:22
Ok. To make it easier I'll just put it up right now and leave it up for a few days. I had it down because it didn't really seem like anyone was using it.

You'll probably need a fast internest connection for this! I say this because I programed the networking poorly in version 1.02, so it sends way to much data and, on my computer, the server fps drops to 6, making it very laggy. I've already fixed this in the new version so that the server fps was over 100 (I think).

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 21:42 Edited at: 12th Sep 2008 22:26
So one computer can host a game and I can play from the same network but different computer? If it's possible I could set up a dedicated host on my other machine

EDIT: I just tried to host and the program crashed :/

EDIT2: Nevermind that was just McAfee but now I'm on

EDIT3: I get to watch people play and it's quite fun Anyways does the server require a lot of memory or processing power? doesn't look like it does from this.

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 22:46
RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2008 23:56
wait... Waaaait... thats not me and my brother is it?! we went to the only hosted game but i figured the host couldnt chat, well we played for.. dont even know how long well there are some bugs (walking along walls, walking up all hills) but it was really fun.
And Uncle Sam, i mailed you asking for a newer beta-build with sword-fight for playing over LAN =)

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm...I played the training! and looks pretty nice....feels nice too.

Needs a loading screen and locks up a lot!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 01:49
Quote: "So one computer can host a game and I can play from the same network but different computer? If it's possible I could set up a dedicated host on my other machine

EDIT: I just tried to host and the program crashed :/

EDIT2: Nevermind that was just McAfee but now I'm on

EDIT3: I get to watch people play and it's quite fun Anyways does the server require a lot of memory or processing power? doesn't look like it does from this."

Yeah, you can join the server locally, just connect with the local IP address (you will have to enter it yourself)!

The server is pretty low key I think, it runs better than the client does. It will be muuuuch better when you get the update. I hope to make it have the option to not render at all to improve the speed. You must have a great computer if it wasn't lagging at all! My computer got 6 frames per second (but then again we have DSL).

How would you like to run the offical game server? (I still will run the MAIN server that handles the server list). If you wanted to, that'd be great. You wouldn't be required to leave it up or anything, but when I get the naming system in, it could be named "Offical Time Front Server". It would just mean that you would have the most well-known server. What kind of internet connection do you have?

Funny screenies. If you liked watching the people, just wait 'till the update. There are crossfire effects and particles for the gun. Sword fighting should be really funny to watch.

Quote: "wait... Waaaait... thats not me and my brother is it?! we went to the only hosted game but i figured the host couldnt chat, well we played for.. dont even know how long well there are some bugs (walking along walls, walking up all hills) but it was really fun.
And Uncle Sam, i mailed you asking for a newer beta-build with sword-fight for playing over LAN =)"

Thanks, glad you liked it! You're right about bugs! I hope to fix them all eventually. In the next update it will be set up for real games, where each team will spawn in it's own castle, and I'll make some simple objective that you destroy to win.

Sorry, I didn't get your email. Which address did you send it to? I hope you don't mind, but I think it will be easier if I finish the update and post it up for everyone, because I have some things I have to finish for you to fully enjoy it. I will work hard though to get it done as soon as possible.

Quote: "hmm...I played the training! and looks pretty nice....feels nice too.

Needs a loading screen and locks up a lot!"

Yeah, there's stuff to do. Now it runs better than before because I halved the polys on the map and added fogging and a shorter camera range. It's still a good range, and I can increase it a bit if needed. It actually runs smoother with bloom than it did before without it!

Thanks all for the support and for testing it out!

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
@Uncle Sam- plus when I tryed to join the game, i waited like a million hours then the game came up but it said FAILED TO CONNECT TO SERVER in the top left.

and for me, when i tryed to change my name in the options is locked up!

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 02:19
I wouldn't mind, I'll start up a host on my other machine and see how it does so I can play. As soon as I get it started up, my ip starts with 71 and 218 then has 102 and 76 at the end. I'll leave that on all night if anyone decides they want to play.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 02:28 Edited at: 13th Sep 2008 02:28
Quote: "@Uncle Sam- plus when I tryed to join the game, i waited like a million hours then the game came up but it said FAILED TO CONNECT TO SERVER in the top left.

and for me, when i tryed to change my name in the options is locked up!"

Yeah, when it fails to connect it freezes the screen for a while. Sorry.

When it appears the options screen is frozen, that's when you start typing your name.

Quote: "I wouldn't mind, I'll start up a host on my other machine and see how it does so I can play. As soon as I get it started up, my ip starts with 71 and 218 then has 102 and 76 at the end. I'll leave that on all night if anyone decides they want to play."

Great, thanks! It will be a lot better for you once you can kick and ban or adjust server settings. By internet connection though, I meant, do you have Cable or DSL, or what?

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 02:36
Ahh sorry, I missed that question. I have DSL running at 1.5Mbit/S so it's fairly fast. I managed to get 24-25FPS on the training mode and 15 as a host.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 00:56:51
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 00:56:51