Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / (Online Beta!) Time Front: Battle of the Ages

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
@Uncle Sam- lol ok....how do i get the connect to server to work??

[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 03:25 Edited at: 13th Sep 2008 04:41
You click the thing to change your name then you type your name a press enter. It shouldn't freeze there as far as I can see. As far as connecting goes, I noticed that when I take my host down, my ip still appears on the list and my host was probably down when you clicked my ip, which resulted in the failed connection. My host is up and running at the moment so you can try to connect again. Btw gratz on 100+ posts, Uncle Sam (and gratz to me for being 100th poster )

EDIT: I'm watching Pirates of the Carribean, I'll host a game again in a couple of hours.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 05:52 Edited at: 13th Sep 2008 05:55
Quote: "Ahh sorry, I missed that question. I have DSL running at 1.5Mbit/S so it's fairly fast. I managed to get 24-25FPS on the training mode and 15 as a host."

That should work fine, espcially in the new, faster version. And your internet is twice as fast as mine!

Quote: "As far as connecting goes, I noticed that when I take my host down, my ip still appears on the list and my host was probably down when you clicked my ip, which resulted in the failed connection. My host is up and running at the moment so you can try to connect again. Btw gratz on 100+ posts, Uncle Sam (and gratz to me for being 100th poster )"

Ah yes, that's something I haven't fixed! I need to make the main server ping your server every once in a while to see if it still exists. And, thanks, 100 posts feels good.

Quote: "EDIT: I'm watching Pirates of the Carribean, I'll host a game again in a couple of hours."

I'll try connecting in a bit.

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 07:01
And I'm back.

I tried running the host on a system of 512MB ram, and a 3.0GHz Celeron processor, Not sure what kind of crappy video card it has but it ain't much but an Intel chipset. With that system I achieved a whopping 17-20FPS as the host, where on my 2GB ram, dual-core 2.0GHz pentium machine with an Intel GMA X3100 ram it at ~25FPS.

Anyways I'll keep the host on the older of the computers as it seemed to do fine. I can only run it there between the hours of 9PM and 7AM Mountain Time however.

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 07:08
probably isnt multcore compatible?
im hosting a server atm. Just played a bit with airslide. Idk what fps the server is getting.

Btw whats the upload speed per client?

Free Webhosting = http://unlhosting.info --Send support ticket to get ad free
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 07:27
Kind of laggy, but pretty cool. Respawning needs some work (it didn't always happen, lol). I think some more client side interpolation would be good - predicting where another player will move based on their last speed and direction, and when the x/y/z doesn't match up with what the server gives you it should smoothly move towards it (just a few frames worth, so it doesn't fall behind too much, but it would look much better). I'd reccomend checking this link out:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

It explains how the source engine handles multiplayer. Might be useful.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 08:14 Edited at: 13th Sep 2008 08:19
Quote: "Anyways I'll keep the host on the older of the computers as it seemed to do fine. I can only run it there between the hours of 9PM and 7AM Mountain Time however."

THat's plenty for now.

Quote: "Btw whats the upload speed per client?"

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Quote: "Kind of laggy, but pretty cool. Respawning needs some work (it didn't always happen, lol). I think some more client side interpolation would be good - predicting where another player will move based on their last speed and direction, and when the x/y/z doesn't match up with what the server gives you it should smoothly move towards it (just a few frames worth, so it doesn't fall behind too much, but it would look much better). I'd reccomend checking this link out:

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

It explains how the source engine handles multiplayer. Might be useful."

Thanks Airslide for the link. It would have been useful, I've already added client side interpolation to the new version! It may not predict movement, but it will interpolate the frames. It should be much better now.

Which brings me to the news, that I think I'm going to actually release it early (tonight I think!). Stay tuned.

Benji
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 08:21
Quote: "Which brings me to the news, that I think I'm going to actually release it early (tonight I think!). Stay tuned. "

And by tonight he means pacific time.

My signature is empty.
DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 08:33
You've got an hour and a half then I can't wait

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 10:00 Edited at: 13th Sep 2008 10:33
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2008 14:17
Gonna try!!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 03:01
Just so people know, the officail Time Front server should be up at 8:00 P.M (U.S. West Coast Time).

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 05:22
I tried having her up all day but she crashed I figured out, it crashes when it's lost contact with your server, Uncle Sam. If it were to be able to detect when it's lost connection then keep retrying a connection until it succeeds it would make it easier on my part

Mr Makealotofsmoke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 06:47
would be easier to make a dedicated server

Free Webhosting = http://unlhosting.info --Send support ticket to get ad free
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 07:07
Actually it doesn't connect to my server once you host. Same thing happend when hosting locally for a long time. I think something in the animation code is making it crash.

More bugs to fix!

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2008 07:16 Edited at: 14th Sep 2008 07:18
Well I saw it crash two out of 3 crashes and both times I tried reconnecting, it couldn't connect to the main server and my inet was up and running just fine.

@Mr Makealotofsmoke, I'm running a dedicated server (and a right-out crappy one two thankfully it still gets 10-15FPS even with 4 people connected (otherwise it ran near 40)

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 23:32
So, has anyone been trying the new version?

RedFlames
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2008 23:52 Edited at: 16th Sep 2008 00:02
well i tried to try it
but on one of the servers my brother couldnt see me and for me he was lagging. And we couldn't Do it through LAN because:
If one host with 127.0.0.1 he can join with a second client on the same PC but the other one can not join.
If one hosts with local IP its the other way round (the other one joins but no second client)

Wouldnt it be possible for the host to play too?... like he is the game master but can still participate?...

well and do you have MSN? ^^ could you mabe add me... {
}

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 02:16
MSN button isn't supposed to work. you move your mouse over it and it shows your address. And, I don't always have my host up and running, but since his server doesn't ping every now and then it won't remove my ip from the list very fast. If the 71 number doesn't work then you can MSN me to see if it's up, if I don't respond it probably isn't. If you want to play from the same computer you host just start another TimeFront game. (open the file twice)

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2008 03:05
Yeah, those bugs sound very odd. The host can't play because it spends itself solely on hosting the game so that the ping can be as low as possible.

I've added you to msn. Like DBPGuy said the server may not be up even if it says it is. I hope to fix this in the next version.

flickenmaste
Years of Service
User Offline
You should change the name to Time Front: Battles that last ages(cause u said matches will take hours)

and will there be any hands like when ur carrying the gun, bow or sword??

[url=http://userbarmaker.com/][img]
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2008 03:24
Well, I had hands in the old version I was working on about two years ago. But when I started fresh I decided that it was just too time consuming.

Update! Added dead bodies and dying animation!

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 14:59 Edited at: 19th Sep 2008 15:07
never put a dot in a filename...

EDIT:
I can't connect to the server, but I can refresh the list.

What's going on?

EDIT:
And if I try to host (local) it crashes

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2008 22:28
Quote: "never put a dot in a filename..."

???

Quote: "I can't connect to the server, but I can refresh the list.

What's going on?"

Probably the last remembered list.

Quote: "And if I try to host (local) it crashes"

That's weird. I don't know why it would crash for that.

DarkBasic Pro Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 21:09
What IP do you put in when you host locally? If it's not a 192.168.0.12 address (or similar, it starts with 192.168) then there is probably your problem.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 21:23
I found that if you didn't enter your ip at all when hosting (but not joining) it works fine. I'll bet that's it, you put the wrong IP address for the host.

Master Xilo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 21:26
QuothTheRaven
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2008 22:52
In training mode I fired the mp40 once and then the screen wouldn't stop shaking, I had to quit.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 00:56 Edited at: 21st Sep 2008 00:56
Quote: "I didn't write anything"

Well, I don't know what else to suggest! Sorry.

Quote: "In training mode I fired the mp40 once and then the screen wouldn't stop shaking, I had to quit."

Weird!

Gingerkid Jack
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2008 23:21
On Topic: Looks really good

Off Topic: I have a Uncle Sam

I was Jacko but I changed my name.
B I O M A S S
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2008 06:01
Haha, thanks.

Just to let everyone know, I'm taking a temporary break from this to work on a previous project (I tend to shift between two or three). You can still download and try it if you want though, and post more suggestions.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 23:21
the game looks cool, i can tell it is FPS but.. is it modern or fantasy?

Quik, Quiker than most
Accoun
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 23:44
Quote: "the game looks cool, i can tell it is FPS but.. is it modern or fantasy?"

Both

Make games, not war.

Xenocythe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2008 23:47
It's the Renaissance

3.11 We do not tolerate posts made for the purpose of putting down another forum member, group of members, religion, our company, our staff or any of our moderators, past or present.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2008 07:54 Edited at: 31st Oct 2008 07:54
Hahaha, nice.

By the way, I have not terminated this project. I like to switch off between different things. I've been working some on Extreme Animal Furrrenzy. I'm eager to get back to this project soon and move it forward.

alec the lion
Years of Service
User Offline
i must say most impressive, whats the ping on something like this?
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
I press training, and it waits a bit, then says "Could not load sound at line 4355", it does the same for hosting or joining a game.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2008 07:13
Quote: "i must say most impressive, whats the ping on something like this?"

Thanks. The ping when playing online was really good, I fixed it so that it doesn't send too many packets too often.

Quote: "I press training, and it waits a bit, then says "Could not load sound at line 4355", it does the same for hosting or joining a game."

That's weird. The only thing I can conclude is that your sound card doesn't support it? Sorry.

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 02:40
This looks excellent! Downloading now, I'll keep an eye out for servers .

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 03:10
Ok, I am absolutely loving this game. (Maybe it's just because I miss Planetside, but whatever). The bow and arrows are incredibly fun to use. I haven't had a chance to play in an online game yet but the training was fun.

I'm not sure I like how the camera follows the arrow, but I can see how that might be necessary for aiming purposes. I think something like a flash of bright light where it hits might serve the same purpose without leaving the player completely vunerable while the arrow is in flight.

Also, the gravity on the arrow seems a little low. Oh, and when I pointed it up too high I shot if off the edge of the map. It just kept on going, so I had to exit to the menu.

Quote: ""In training mode I fired the mp40 once and then the screen wouldn't stop shaking, I had to quit.""

I had this problem too.

I will be watching this closely!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 04:40
Thanks for all the bug reports and compliments, bmaczero! I miss Planetside too, they took my demo away.

The camera only follows the arrow in training mode, so you can see how you are shooting. I light might work too, for the online mode.

I know that the bow really has problems. I need to spend more time on it. The mp40 bug is weird as I have never seen it myself, but I'll just have to go through the code carefully.

Thanks again for your support.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 04:54
Just so you know, I put up the main server. You can now host or join an available game.

Vorg1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2008 05:56
This game is really good Uncle Sam. Good Job.

Vorg1

Check out Urban Soldier:Requiem
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2009 22:09
Thank you, Vorg1.

Game Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm stunned! You put A LOT of effort of this and all of your effort did not go to waste! This is the most amazing online game made with DarkBASIC I have yet seen. Good job! Btw it would be cool if you added a mace.

Zab Productions Game and Program Company.
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2009 05:41 Edited at: 17th Jan 2009 07:11
Wow, thanks Game Guy! That's encouraging. You're right, this project is certainly not going to waste, I'm not dropping it or anything like that. I tend to switch projects back and forth to prevent bordom.

Thanks again.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2009 03:20
Like I said, this project isn't dead. I just started back on it again!

Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2009 09:52
waw this game looks amazing ^-^.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2009 02:06
Thanks Dragon.

Working right now on the minimap. It's almost finished, so that when you build an outpost it appears on the mini map as a spawn point.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 03:22:21
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 03:22:21