Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / [LOCKED] L IV: The future of FPSC multiplayer. Please read.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 02:14
!!!WARNING!!!
Irrational Request Alert!
!!!WARNING!!!

For multiplayer, I want to have a Warthog... you know, like in Halo?

And I want some powerups for multiplayer, you can lay them around the level and they respawn and stuff... and when someone picks them up it gives them a superpower... you know, like in Bioshock sorta thing?

And can you make it more like COD4?

If you could do that for me... that'd be greeeeat.... yyyyeeeeaaaahhhh.

[/sarcasm]

Good looking Mod, just do whatever it is you think we need. Voice Chat does sound like a great addition, and if you think you're up to the task, Url, I say go for it.

Everything else I've seen requested seems a little nit-picky to me.

Lag is not an issue. If you get lag in your level, then you either A) Didn't design it well enough, or B) You need to upgrade your machine. That's my view on it anyway.

The one and only,

Whosoever says, "Don't sweat the small stuff," is obviously not a programmer.
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 02:14 Edited at: 30th Jul 2008 02:24
Quote: "TGC refuse outright to make a multiplayer update. Multiplayer is the future of all technology. not just games. "

First,your future is here chat rooms and such use that multiplayer stuff if you look at it that way.
Second,I think Lee has come up with a better idea.Let's think about it logically.If you were the guy working on the game engine and you knew there were those such as Urlforce who could do as good job of multiplayer and you did not have the time to addres it immediately and lots of people wanted it would you not want to let him do his thing and then use his code (with his permission of course).
Lee and many others have pointed out that they do intend at some point to update multiplayer...just not immediately.He's taking the FPSC improvement process step by step.Multiplayer will come sooner or later.
Like I said Lee has made it a point to encourage us to help him with improvements to FPSC and welcomes any input from the community...including mods to the source code.
Now don't make me whip out that old story about how long it was before we got the very first update for FPSC....
Have a little patience.In the end nobody is going to get everything they want.That's life.
But I am sure Lee and the community will come up with something that almost everybody is happy with in the long run.
If Lee had already implemented this multiplayer stuff Urlforce would be bored.We wouldn't want that.

Edit:
BTW the voice chat thing wasn't really intended as a request per se but as a suggestion.I don't want to demand vehicles,flying carpets,romulan disruptors (although I made an FPSC ready phaser which is totally besides the point) or anything crazy.
Which gives me a twisted idea...
Believe me...I know what it's like to get flooded with requests.Especially when some are unreasonable...after a while even the good requests,suggestions or whatever unnerve you.
You live the ultimate coder's nightmare...just like the rest of us.No matter how good you make it somebody wants better and more.
It's a vicious circle...

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 02:51
Quote: "that'd be greeeeat.... yyyyeeeeaaaahhhh."

Office Space reference?

Quote: "romulan disruptors (although I made an FPSC ready phaser which is totally besides the point) or anything crazy."

Dude. That is really cool.
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Voice chat... hmm.
In my experience it is better to use a 3rd party application such as ventrilo http://www.ventrilo.com/ or TeamSpeak http://www.goteamspeak.com/.

It is possible to incorporate voice chat into fpsc's source, however it may present more problems in the performance area.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 03:30
I didn't think of that.The less you add to the source code the better and since these appear to be designed for this and it's already ready that's a good idea.Less for you to do.
Does anybody know if an app like this would run at the same time as FPSC?I don't know about you but FPSC is a pc hog on my rig.
Like it's jealous if it has to share processing room with a lesser app or something...

Failing at every guitar game ever made!
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
It would run fine

Woolfman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2008 15:20
TeamSpeak works really good with FPSC Multiplayer games. I've tested it with DarkFact many times.
Z 4SS4SS1N
Years of Service
User Offline
as a part of the mod, could you run teamspeak (or something similar) in unison with FPSC MP Games.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 05:18 Edited at: 1st Aug 2008 05:19
Lemur Networking System
Client-Server | Peer-to-Peer | Master Server
?

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Lemur Networking System
Client-Server | Peer-to-Peer | Master Server"

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

Quote: "as a part of the mod, could you run teamspeak (or something similar) in unison with FPSC MP Games. "

Taken from above:
Quote: "Voice chat... hmm.
In my experience it is better to use a 3rd party application such as ventrilo http://www.ventrilo.com/ or TeamSpeak http://www.goteamspeak.com/.

It is possible to incorporate voice chat into fpsc's source, however it may present more problems in the performance area.
"

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2008 22:15 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2008 18:46
is it - Client-Server | Peer-to-Peer | Master Server
I think the networking with fpsc is Client-Server.

I tell you what would be nice with MP, the ability to pick a class, AvP2 had that, light medium and heavy, each class had seperate abillities, as in speed armour health stats and weapons they could pick up and use. It would make a nice mod for MP, lots of scope for all kinds of games people could make with that.

MP mode with an objective would also be good, like unreal did with assault mode.

Though to be fair, what you have presented here, with just a bloom feature added, would be great all the same

Carsen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 21:30
Just my 2 cents. Is the multiplayer needs ranking, otherwise it really has no point as you get no kind of reward for playing for hours and such. If that was added to MP any kind of ranking or reward system, that would make people actually want to play these games.
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 21:54
Hmmm, I'd imagine that'd be like applying a variable for each user, storing it in a file, and editing it as suits........

Of course, cheaters could edit the file if they found it....

One question, is friendly fire blocked in team deathmatch?

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2008 23:40
Why do people always need some sort of "reward" for playing a game???

What the heck ever happened to playing a game because it was FUN?!?

The one and only,

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 01:02
Quote: "What the heck ever happened to playing a game because it was FUN?!?"

That's just dumb...

And as for everyone else... I think I'll try and expand the achievements to make them automated. We'll see how it goes. Expect a new thread if I get there.
It should work well with Lemur III and IV. If I get it working, that is.

Gunn3r Games
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 01:34
Hmm, I think it's 'cos of XBox Live's Gamerscore thingies......

I wasn't really wanting it, I just gave examples on how it may be achieved.....in theory...well my theory....ok, it probably won't work 'cos I don't know DBP, but I tried...kinda.....

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "One question, is friendly fire blocked in team deathmatch?"

I can make it an option... But in my view bullets kill anyone

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 01:44
Yeh, lol, but is there a penalty to the offender? EG -1 point, otherwise someone could cut down their team, and get tonnes of points......

I've got a map in the works to use with this....I was planning to wait until it's release, but you can use it for release if you want, (like Buyer Beware)......

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 02:44
Unless Urlforce rewrote everything, the code I made for teams gave a penalty for team killing.

The one and only,

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 03:19
Awesome if you make it option, that will be cool. I made a video for the modders of FPSC, Ima upload it soon.

[url=][/url]The Ultimate Battle Mod, high fps, particles, and more.
apocaliv
Years of Service
User Offline
You should try to create the possibility to build a game server application, so that an admin can host the game server on a dedicated server and the game will be faster. Beucase if i host the game all players will lag i haven't a fast connection.
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2008 22:49
Quote: "Why do people always need some sort of "reward" for playing a game???

What the heck ever happened to playing a game because it was FUN?!?"

WTH? Playing gmaes for fun?!? AHAHAHAHAHA! Only noobz do that, stats are the way 2 gozz lolzzz!!!111one

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 01:35
Quote: "You should try to create the possibility to build a game server application, so that an admin can host the game server on a dedicated server and the game will be faster. Beucase if i host the game all players will lag i haven't a fast connection."

I thought there would be something wrong someplace, I did find it odd that fpsc may have MP working just like any other game would have.

bkinsman
Years of Service
User Offline
wow, i have got to get me this Lemur thing, i haven't really been paying much attention to mod stuff and i thought about editing FPSC source code myself, when i learn scripting of course, but someone has beat me to it by a few years

What is wrong with playing games for fun? A lot of my games i play are just for fun. That was the original reason of games was for fun.

BJKDAW
Slayer222
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2008 19:13
Sarcasm bkinsman

[img]
[/img] Official Airmod fanboy. Member of the Airlside fan club
CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2008 19:24
Quote: "editing FPSC source code myself, when i learn scripting of course"

Scripting and editing the source are 2 completely different things....you'll get nowhere by learning to script if you wanna source edit.....

Forza Inter
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there any news or a release date?
Diablos Bud
Years of Service
User Offline
Could you in the scripting allow the game's admin to pick a game type, such as deathmatch, team deathmathc, etc, that the game maker does a little scripting to get in? This would be cool because team deathmatches go perfectly into the sort of game I am making, Universal Warfare, different alien races fighting over plantary domination. Could you please add this to your list of Lemur 4 additions?

Diablosbud Productions - a name for the game's developed by me.
Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Could you in the scripting allow the game's admin to pick a game type, such as deathmatch, team deathmathc, etc, that the game maker does a little scripting to get in? This would be cool because team deathmatches"

TDM and Deathmatch were added back in Lemur 2, so L IV will have them aswell...

Quote: "Is there any news or a release date? "

I haven't had much time to work on this lately as things have picked up at work, and other distractions that take precedence to L IV have come up. I'll post when there's news

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2008 00:19
Small correction:
Quote: "TDM and Deathmatch were added back in Lemur 2"

Deathmatch was an inherent feature of FPSC, not Lemur... in fact that is the ONLY MP type the official FPSC gives.

The one and only,

Urlforce Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, I had meant to say the ability to swap between TDM and DM was added in Lemur V2. See what happens when you're busy

Diablos Bud
Years of Service
User Offline
Will Lemur 4 require me to purchase a copy of it?

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
This deserves a bump.

@ Diablos Bud:
Hmm... I was wondering that myself...

Jeremiah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2008 00:13 Edited at: 20th Aug 2008 00:17
I noticed the layout for the lobby, what will you charge (after you release of course, and since I assume this is closed source) to take a design I create and use that as the lobby design / layout.
Diablos Bud
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2008 21:58 Edited at: 21st Aug 2008 21:59
Could you please have kicking of player's into the multiplayer system? Also when this comes out can you please compatibilize scripts for multiplayer for us? Could you please make a jetpack system work with this it would be great for my game (it's in space )? Will this cost me money to purchase, and if so will there also be a free version? Could you please add efxMod into this for better graphics, and could you ask S4 when this comes out to update S4Mod with Lemur IV multiplayer since it already uses an old Lemur?

Sorry for requesting so much , but it's what I'm best at, and you said to request for MP so I did.

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline

Although all of those would be good ideas, (aside from EFX; it never worked right for me. I got like 10 fps with all the effects off.) I don't think Urlforce is up to all that. Plus, it has already been stated that Lemur an EFX will not be combined because of Nighthawk's decisions relating to commercial use. (Or something like that.)

Urlforce's Lemur work aside, I think that the jetpack script would already be completely possible, because the player's position is sent over to the host.

Kicking players would also be a good idea. Maybe something that the host can type in chat, for example "/kick playername".

I don't think S4Mod will be getting Lemur or anything like that. S4Real was on the Lemur V2 team, and in Lemur V4, Urlforce is working on his own, without Ply, Airslide, and S4Real. Maybe it'll happen.

I'd pay for some super conbination of Ply's Mod, (cool scripts) Lemur, (MP) and S4Mod, but don't count on it. The days of Super-Lemur with bloom, water, and just about everything else are over.

Forza Inter
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah it's over I hope they are going to make the come back in the lemurian team as that it will be one of the best program and one of the most easy of use
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
I doubt that that'll ever happen. If you look at some other threads, Plystire also expresses issues with multiple people working on the source code at once. Let's see what Urlforce has to say about this. He'll have more to tell us.

Diablos Bud
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 00:54 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2008 02:37
Well, I'll request something that should be in any multiplayer game then, a score system. Basically each kill gives +10 score, each time when a player helps you kill someone it gives +2 score for each of you, and every time you complete an objective you earn +15 score. When you hold the Tab key it displays each teams score (TDM), and there is a list, starting with the first character, going to the last. Inbetween each character it has each player who is that character, and their score. If you go to the game menu by hitting Esc, an option in the menu should be character customization. In this menu you access your starting weapons, one of each style you can pick (certain weapons require a certain score, which could be customized in a notepad file), and your techniques which can also be customized in the file (technique examples could be: increased bullet damage, increased health, increased melee damage (that includes throwing an object's damage increased), increased accuracy (changes each gun's aimer, specific to each gun), increased explosion damage (certain weapons damage will be increase), and increased movement speed. Also could there be impliminted weapon attachments on the character customization option, that require certain score, and could there also be descriptions of each weapon, and statistics that say accuracy, damage, range, and mobility, and under the text have bars for each weapon that are in an editable image file to show how much of each statistic it has, that way you can customize the bars if they are in editable format. Could you please do this for me, I know the post seems big but really it isn't as big as the post, do it is full of details?

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Again, this is waaay to much for one guy to do...

Urlforce isn't magical or anything. What you're describing sounds like a cross between Battlefield 2142, Crysis, and Rainbow Six: Vegas He's not just a guy that wakes up, eats, programs, eats, programs more, eats, programs even more, then goes to bed.

Diablos Bud
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 03:28 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2008 03:29
It's a simple score system that allows you to get weapons, it could just be done by variables, it would still be hard but variables. But nvm I'll just use a currency system which I'll modify the kill script.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2008 05:55
@Diablos Bud:

I'm sorry, but the way you came in and requested not one, not two, not thre, but a whole BUNCH of things that are pretty much specific to your own desires and THEN asking if it's going to be FREE...... just seems a lil' out of place and maybe a tad more respect would do you wonders.

@Urlforce:

Dude, I swear... Go with our previous idea and just implement MP specific scripting commands, allow scripts to be used in MP, and then let everyone make their OWN score system, their OWN MP rules, etc.

It would be a world easier on you and with that... I could yell at more people making requests and tell to them to "just SCRIPT it"!

The one and only,

Forza Inter
Years of Service
User Offline
Did the entities in multiplayer are going to be statics?
Is it going to be free?
It is going to be translated in some other languages?
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 21:16
So Ply, are you saying that (with the implementation of this script "doo-dah-dary") we could make our own game modes like Territories or VIP? And would it allow us to have switches, trigger zones, doors, etc?

xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2008 22:32 Edited at: 28th Aug 2008 02:50
It's Urlforce's decision. To my knowledge, Ply is no longer working on Lemur. Neither are Airslide, S4Real, or the other Lemur guys, aside from Urlforce.

Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 00:58 Edited at: 28th Aug 2008 03:40
Edited, as there is no longer a reason for this post.

Gunn3r Games
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 02:49 Edited at: 28th Aug 2008 02:50
Oops. My mistake. I meant to say S4Real. I'll edit.

Plystire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2008 21:14
@Pus In Boots:

1) Yes
2) Sorta... you cannot have moving entities aside from the players. If you had doors, the server would need to sync the entity movement with all players and that requires extra coding for something that isn't entirely required for a multiplayer game, plus it would add more lag.

The one and only,

Those who live in the past, are destined to insanity. Those who live only for the future, will be slaves to their ambitions.
Those who live in the moment... only they, are truly happy.
George 7004
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2008 09:17
Is this still an active mod project? VERY interested in seeing it released.
xyzz1233
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, it is.

However, I don't expect Lemur IV to be out soon, so do search for "Lemur V2 Free"...

That supports teams, 16 players, and improved speed...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 01:12:59
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 01:12:59