Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / The Official DarkMORG - MMORPG FPS Server/Client WIP Thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2009 22:34
@ TechLord
Hi, I don't post on this WIP, but I follow them all, I just thought I'd add this:

Assuming your "MMO" gets to "MMO" status, and you have no currency, what is to stop people from just using one of the easiest-to-find items in the game as a currency?

This has happened in a commercial MMO (I can't remember whether it was WoW or Everquest 2) but the economy of the game went bust for a time and people started just using apples as currency. (For use in trades with other players obviously.)
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 02:48 Edited at: 24th Jan 2009 02:59
Quote: "Assuming your "MMO" gets to "MMO" status, and you have no currency, what is to stop people from just using one of the easiest-to-find items in the game as a currency?"

Hi C0wbox, thanks for the reply. To answer your question, there is nothing to stop players from using the easiest-to-find items. Not all items will require the same mats. The best analogy that I've come with is: instead of using just gold coins to purchase items, items require a lil red, a lil blue, and a lil green coin for purchase.

My MMO supports Player-Creation, more particularly Quest Creation. GM's (players who create quest) have access to all content and can set their own rewards and penalties. Due to this freedom creating Uber Quest (Hi Reward/Lo Risk) Or Gank Quest (Lo Reward / Hi Risk) is highly feasible. Although there is QA/Moderation/Player Rating in place, such quest could sneak through.

There is really nothing to stop players from building a Uber Character quickly and I'm not trying to prevent it. I expect some players to cheat. There in lies the self-regulated security mechanism, if you cheat, you only cheat yourself out of the experience it takes to become uber.

IMHO, this type of cheating is a BIG issue for commercial MMOs dependent on subscriptions. Obviously, if the player bypasses the content, theres no need to subscribe for very long. This is not a issue for my MMO.

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 03:45
Hey your pictures are look'n perty and fun to look at

dont forget the rare, scarse, legendary, etc. materials... I want something nobody else has

I do like the idea of not having "gold" currency. I like that feeling of having an old style trading/bartering system.

What do you think of auction systems? Where basically, anyone can just about go anywhere that has an auction house and bid for something or buy it if there is a buy out price. Ofcoarse, not having currency would make it interesting by allowing players to offer better "stuff" to trade. Anyways, tbh, I like it better when Aution House stuff is not implemented in a game. This helps communities to be more active in socialization. Though, I dont mind having a player owned shop house where players have to go to in order to trade wares.

Just throwing thoughts at ya.

Inspirational Music: Descent ][ Redbook Audio CD Soundtrack
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 05:10
Hi Todd,

Good to hear from ya again. I don't see a problem with Auction Houses, Coin Farming, etc. I intend to provide these type of services out-of-box. It appears that no matter what counter-measures are taken, the situation boils down to two things: time and money. Some Players will literally pay for upgrades, some will `grind` for them. It's logical to me as a Game Developer to provide players many options to achieve both.

Auction Houses are on the list. The Question I'm asking myself is How can I provide a Auction House that helps communities to be more active in socialization?

Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 06:41
Thats cool.

Also, that is one of my main question is if I was able to create my own MMO, how would I get players to be socialable? It's good thinking.

My first monthly fee based MMO game I played was Starwars Galaxy. I got it when it first came out. I loved that game. In-city Chat activity was non stop. People wanted to help noobs. People wanted to team up no matter what level one was. People offered others to actaully learn skill tree skills. Everybody lined up around the players who picked the Entertainer and Doctor classes so they can buy and get super cool buffs to help in missions. The guilds where super cool to help members. ...And that was just at the social level of the game. SOE for some hair brained reason turned that MMO into some "casual MMO game" or what ever teh technical term for it is. Totally transformed the game into a totally different experience. All that social stuff I mentioned above... gone. It feels like a solo play game because you dont need anybody to level up with and do quests with anymore. Boring.

Holy crap, I'll stop there about SWG... sry for the rant lol. Anyways, IMHO the magic element that made the first version of SWG a success was the ability for players to "help" others. Quests need to be made so "solo'ing" isnt a option. That helps people want to team up with others to conquer the specific quest ( I never understood why people would want to solo in a MMO game ). You think you need that extra umph to tackle harder mobs? Get specific time limited buffs that can ONLY be gotten from specifc classes that people play.

Another aspect is LOOT. Sure, we all hack and slash for that uber loot. But if you give loot that does the same thing what specifc player classes offer with buffs, whats the point in spending money to get buffs from them anymore? If there is loot that does what a player class can already do for you, then I think that loot shouldnt exist. IMHO ofcoarse. For example, type of loot I rather see is like a Fisher that can catch different types of fish. Sure if the Fisher eats the fish, mabie there is some kind of low buff to be gained. But if the Fisher takes it to someone who knows how to cook, then the cooked fish can give urber buffs. There, that creates insta-socialization.

Anotehr aspect in loot with SWG i hate now. In SWG you can aquire different types of housing to store items in and decorate up. Why on earth would a MMO game have it where you can kill a slug to only loot a framed picture to hang up in your dwelling??? Why loot housing items from mobs, let the structure engineering class people make the housing items.

Rant over.... another 2 cents spent...

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 12:46 Edited at: 24th Jan 2009 12:49
Hey Todd, just wanted to post this reply before I go to bed -lol.

I'm looking seriously into the player interaction issue. Another developer and myself have been discusing over the use of a Award System based on player interaction. For simplicity sake, I'll call it Player Interaction Points or PIPs. In our dicussions, we determined that PIPs would be intrinsic to all aspects of game play to be valueable to players' success. To achieve this PIPs could be applied attributes, skills, items, spells, weapons, etc to increase power, effect, value, etc.

The tricky part is identifying and creating game mechanics that encourage players to work together or against each other, directly and indirectly. Even participation in chat and forums could be used to award PIPs.

I've been thinking about this very hard. A game that comes to mind is Army of Two. This game has very specific game mechanics that requires Two Players to assist each other in order to complete missions. For example, there are hard-to-reach areas that require players to lift and pull each other up. There are doors that require two people to activate.

Although, I'm not a fan of forced grouping, I would prefer to play a multiplayer game with others than by alone. We can discuss this further tomorrow. off to bed.

to be continued...

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 13:35
@ TechLord
Quote: "items require a lil red, a lil blue, and a lil green coin for purchase."

Hah, that's what I was looking for, fair enough. - (You have my unwritten permission to make this game.) lol
Grandma
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 14:23 Edited at: 24th Jan 2009 14:34
Just throwing my nickle into this.
Quote: "what is to stop people from just using one of the easiest-to-find items in the game as a currency?"

He could add material quality. Shabby easy-to-find items are naturally crafted low-quality, and to build your ultimate weapon, you would need some very high quality (pure) materials. You wouldn't so easily be able to get that from trading shabby items. Unless I missed something that makes a "quality" system incompitable with current plan?

Thus trading easy-to-find items is like killing a level 1 duck with you being a level 112 mechwarrior. It's not going to earn you a lot of XP.

This message was brought to you by Grandma industries.

Making yesterdays games, today!
Todd Riggins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2009 22:38 Edited at: 24th Jan 2009 22:44
The PIPs idea is an interesting concept. But it would have to be well worth it to keep my attention to it. Obviously, I wouldn't want it to make me an uber player in no time flat. But then again with that, as a player, Now I feel like I would need to do chores by socializing with people to gain the award points to abtain my ultimate goal to have an uber attributed character to play. Not saying it's bad at all as it would lead to social ativities. But, with my spoiled outlook in MMO life from the first incarnation of SWG, it doesnt have that "I WANT to help others" and "I WANT help from others" feeling. The feeling I would think I would have from the PIP system is, "I WANT awards". Ofcoarse, I do want awards, but I get that from quests and random big/mini boss loot. ...just IMHO.

With common every day mob looting, if you cant loot what a player class can offer, that's good. People will want to go to that player class to obtain whatever is offered.

"Forced Grouping"... you say it like a bad thing? is it? Why play a massively multiplayer game like a single player game? It just doesnt add up to me. I will never get that concept I suppose.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 03:13 Edited at: 26th Jan 2009 03:54
What I mean by `Force Grouping` is exactly what you describe in

Quote: "Not saying it's bad at all as it would lead to social ativities. But, with my spoiled outlook in MMO life from the first incarnation of SWG, it doesnt have that "I WANT to help others" and "I WANT help from others" feeling. The feeling I would think I would have from the PIP system is, "I WANT awards"."

I want to encourage `Grouping` not force it, and the goal of PIPs is to provide a rewarding `option` to interact with others wether the interaction is good or bad. Its my belief that the game has to offer more than just combat and devising a system to measure Player Interaction other than combat is tricky.

dark coder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 05:02 Edited at: 26th Jan 2009 05:02
I created this nice image that will hopefully help you understand a triangle's construction :

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Oneka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 05:28
lol DC

Making dreams possible, one line at a time...
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 13:20 Edited at: 26th Jan 2009 13:21
Thanks DC, not sure what warranted the gift, but, its good to see my illustrations motivate others. I'm sure you know the cliche `a picture is worth a thousand words`. Explaining the contruction of a triangle in text would be 10000 minimum.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 13:28
Quote: "I've decided to start with 6 Elementals"

Do you mean 'Elements'? An Elemental is a creature that is composed of an element. You can make up names but you can't just reassign meanings of related words on a whim, it just sounds uneducated.

Come see the WIP!
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 17:28 Edited at: 26th Jan 2009 17:53
Quote: "Do you mean 'Elements'? An Elemental is a creature that is composed of an element. You can make up names but you can't just reassign meanings of related words on a whim, it just sounds uneducated."
I'm using Elementals in the context of its definition.

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2009 19:17
Well, those are all adjectives. You're using it as a noun. It sounds crazy like that.

Come see the WIP!
Twu Kai
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 00:32 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2009 17:08
It's very interesting reading about the structures/plans you are making. Just wanted to say good luck creating DarkMORG!

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2009 01:59
Quote: "I created this nice image that will hopefully help you understand a triangle's construction :
"

Hahaha

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2009 06:25 Edited at: 26th Feb 2009 01:16
Looking for ideas on welding separate mesh pieces from inside the game engine to form a preferrably seamless single mesh, retaining texture coords and vertex weights... if possible. The idea is to take independently created `body parts`, load them into engine, and weld them together to create a seamless character mesh.

My current idea is to assign welding vertices at the opening of meshes (using a custom editor) in which these vertices are welded at runtime to create a single mesh.

tiresius pointed me to the link below, hopefully useful for others:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=1&t=104506&p=0

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 19:20 Edited at: 17th Mar 2009 14:50
I'm seriously looking into integrating Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) into my online game to setup Server/Client sessions.

Details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol , http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261.html

My reasons for consideration is:

1. IETF Standard just like HTTP and FTP.
2. Telecom Standard for VoIP which also utilizes Real-Time Protocol (RTP) and Real-Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) which are Standard IETF Protocols suitable for game simulation data.
3. Instant Messaging via SIMPLE.
4. Enables IP communications with numerous devices and applications.

SIP Presence information can also be used to see who's playing and invite other users to join a game, instead of blindly logging on to a games master server. Players just has to subscribe to the presence information of friends. This presence information can be displayed in "buddy list" format showing who is playing, who is online and available, and who is not. Third party call control could even automatically initiate a gaming session when everybody was ready.

The more I read up on it, the more promising SIP looks. What I find interesting about SIP is that I was already implementing home-brewed protocols to set up sessions and handle real-time simulation data messaging. I do prefer to use open standards. All and all, I'm totally impressed with SIP, which makes it hard to see disadvantages. I'm curious if anyone else is currently using it or considering it for their online game. I'm open to discussion on this topic.

djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2009 19:25
Is this an engine, or a game?

Your mod has been erased by the signature
Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
lol after reading it all i would say an engine to make a game....

also i was wondering if you would want some help with models?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 02:15 Edited at: 24th Feb 2009 02:39
Quote: "Is this an engine, or a game?"

Hi djchaos,

DarkMORG is a MMO Server Engine & Client Engine being used to develop the Game, META-Lore. I have intentions of spawning several MMOGs using the DarkMORG Server/Client Engines.

Quote: "also i was wondering if you would want some help with models?"

Hi Azunaki,

Any help with models at this juncture would be for the purpose of developing the engine, not a game.

All 3D Game Entities: Character, FireArm, Melee Weapons, Props, Trees, Vehicles, Machines, Building, Structures are assembled from smaller parts to create a vast assortment of entities. I call this system Modular Entity Construction Sets (MECs).

MECs will require significant experimentation (assembly, texturing, animation, shaders, etc). I would prefer to use `game` quality modelled parts (prototypes) vs primitive place holders to get a real feel to make the system work. It is highly probable that artwork (persons providing models) will influence the overall development of the Client Engine.

I'm very excited about getting into the 3D aspects of the Client Engine and have recently been pondering over taking a break from coding to start creating models to develop the MECs System. Although, I have set small milestones for myself, I usually get bored on move to other parts of the engines...I've reached that point.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
.....ssoooo is that a yes or no.....
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 05:34
Quote: ".....ssoooo is that a yes or no....."
LOL. Yes.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
lol ok. send reference images to azunaki1@gmail.com (im not very good with human or organics.... but i can do most other things.
djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2009 13:29
@TechLord

When the engine is finished do you plan on letting others use the source?

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 01:49
Quote: "When the engine is finished do you plan on letting others use the source?"
No.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
are you planning to release it as a plugin or just keep it for yourself?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 05:48 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 06:30
Quote: "are you planning to release it as a plugin or just keep it for yourself?"

Unfortunately, due to Network Security and 3rd Party Licensing Agreements, I cannot release the complete Server/Client source. I will freely give away source and script that presents no compromise to security and licensing (some has been provided in this thread).

marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 07:14 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 07:16
Quote: "I will freely give away source and script that presents no compromise to security and licensing (some has been provided in this thread)."

How does your MMORPG FPS Server handle event scripting during quest? How will you implement those scripts and handle the necessary variables?

Im just asking because my scripting and quest plans aren't concrete and safely plausible and I dont know how to use LUA for DGDK. Scripts are necessary when you want to add new quests or events in the game that weren't there initially specially for RPGs, right?

When a person has nothing but a dream, can he dare to dream.
djchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 13:38
yeh we haven't decided that either yet, were open to choices tho

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2009 17:28 Edited at: 25th Feb 2009 17:29
Quote: "How does your MMORPG FPS Server handle event scripting during quest? How will you implement those scripts and handle the necessary variables?"

Seek the post above titled `Behavioral Rules A.I. Nodes System (BRAINS)` Posted: 4th Sep 2008 12:00.

Quote: "Im just asking because my scripting and quest plans aren't concrete and safely plausible and I dont know how to use LUA for DGDK. Scripts are necessary when you want to add new quests or events in the game that weren't there initially specially for RPGs, right?"
LUA is a very solid scripting language and engine. I'm using Barnski's LUA Plugin for DBPro for Server/Client Scripting. I'm using scripting for more than just events, so, I highly recommend incorporating a scripting engine early into your engine.

marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Seek the post above titled `Behavioral Rules A.I. Nodes System (BRAINS)` Posted: 4th Sep 2008 12:00."

I don't have problems with AI algorithms. In fact, i know algorithms for neural networks(mathematical simulation/algorithms of the brain in neuroscience). Algorithms for classical learning, decision making, classification/identification, self-organization , memory processing and error learning. ^___^

Anyways, I found it.
Quote: "
DBPro Newcomers / The Making of DarkMORG: A Multiplayer Online Role-playing Game"

Engine/Game Design: Quest Building from the Trigger UP!

And this one
Quote: "DBPro / DarkMachine: A DarkBASIC Syntax Scripting Engine"

Read it and learned. They looked nice. Thanks for the thread.
You really seemed like a person who would post it. ^___^

Hmm..Tokenizing strings in the script then using switch statements to get to the functions..

I must say Im very impressed with the server/host thingies. I dont have a clue on how do it. HAHAHA. It looks so hard!..

I was thinking about..
GAME VARIABLES-
GVInGame Global Variables(ie. ElitePlayers)
MVMap Variables(ie. SnowIsPresent, TreeWasCutDown, LavaIsPresent )
EV Event variables(ie. NumberOfDragonsKilled )
NSVNPC Script Variables(ie.
PVPlayer Variables(ie. HP,MP,Stats,Items,SkillDamage)

and how EVENTS are handled by the SCRIPTS by referring/manipulating those.

Like this..
Quote: "DragonUltimaSkill
PVSkillDamage=GVElitePlayers*(EVNumberOfDragonsKilled/100)*(10*MPLavaIsPresent)
If (LavaIsPresent) then DisplayLavaFireEffects() "

Something like that..Im not confident with my scripting designs and I have no clue on doing Events.

Anyways, Thank you for your previous threads.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2009 19:46 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 03:40
marlou,

DarkMachine was abandoned in favor of using LUA and Barnski's LUA Plugin. The Quest System mentioned in the older DarkMORG thread evolved into BRAINS. In the BRAINS Post I explain how I'm handling `Game Vars`, Events, and Scripting Quest. Game Vars are stored in a list called the Give||Take Registry. HitObjects (aka Triggers) use collision detection (event) and execute scripts. As long as you provide access to functions, vars, etc to the scripting engine you can script actions, formulas,etc to do whatever you need to do. Barnskis LUA Plugin has everything you need register your custom function & vars and execute scripts.

An Event can be as simple as performing a conditional check on a single variable or performing collision detection between 2D/3D objects (interactivity). You dont need to know algorithms for neural networks to make a simple Event Trigger System for Quests.

marlou
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay..I understand now..Sorry for any bother..

I like your designs more now. I hope you get your demo released soon. ^__^

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2009 10:51 Edited at: 27th Feb 2009 10:55
Quote: "Okay..I understand now..Sorry for any bother"
Its no bother. Perhaps after you determine what Scripting Engine you want to use, I can offer more useful detail.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2009 20:43
Azunaki, I set you email to azunaki1@gmail.com.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
i didn't get it.. here give me your email and i'll try sending it... ause it not in my spam either..(or trash)
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2009 04:49 Edited at: 1st Mar 2009 04:52
frankie_taylor@hotmail.com

You can also click on the email tab below any of my posts.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
ok i sent it.
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2009 10:43
all i can say bout this is WOW. the amount of detail in your planning is truly amazing, im really looking forward to this one.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2009 14:54
Quote: "all i can say bout this is WOW. the amount of detail in your planning is truly amazing, im really looking forward to this one."
Thanks Aralox.

TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Apr 2009 00:52
Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
i must say that this is still rather ingenious. and must also say that you have made some incredible progress since the last time i checked this out.
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2009 08:27
Thanks, Azunaki. I've been working on this GUI for a very long time, way longer than desired, lol. I purchased BlueGUI, but, had ideas for how I would implement a GUI and decided to pursue my own design.

For me this has been more than ordinary GUI, it has been a true test of dedication. I often find myself jumping to other parts of the engine or discussing concepts when monotony sets in, but, I eventually regain motivation and continue to work on it. I have also learned a great deal about DarkBASIC developing several coding techniques along the way. I intend to use many of the techniques and code for other systems in the Client.

I wanted to do something a lil different with my WIP. I actually wanted to discuss concepts and show how I'm implementing them in great detail. I figure I will be able turn a great deal of this text and images into help docs or even write a book on how to develop a MMO single handedly on day. Ultimately, I hope my WIP is inspirational for others.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
This really is starting to look great!

just a thought, what would you say the ratio was of time spent on the game, to time spent making awesome diagrams? 1:1000?
TechLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2009 09:46
Quote: "just a thought, what would you say the ratio was of time spent on the game, to time spent making awesome diagrams? 1:1000"
It's more like 1000:1 with more time spent on coding. I'm familiar with Microsoft Powerpoint, so, I can Pre-vis my ideas relatively quick. However, debugging and compiling DBPro Source Code, LUA Scripting, and PHP Scripting consumes a 1000x as much time.

Azunaki
Years of Service
User Offline
i wouldn't be surprised.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:17:06
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:17:06