Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Leadwerks Engine evaluation kit now available

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
The new stuff I am working on ATM is way better.
Leadwerks
Years of Service
User Offline
Version 2.23 is now out, with FBX support, faster terrain, and better grass and vegetation.
Raybrite2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jun 2009 13:44
I downloaded the trial and then noticed the GeForce8800 card requirement. I tried with my GeForce fx5500 and no go.
Next I looked for a price on a GeForce8800 card and found out that there are a lot of different ones available from $55 on ebay to $400 or more.
Which one do I need. I also noticed that I may need to change my power supply for the new card.
This could get expensive to try it out and then I will have to buy it.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 01:14
Leadwerks looks incredible but,

Is there any working AI for enemies yet?

All I've seen is pretty environments and some bots following waypoints but no evidence of enemy AI or gameplay.

I'd probably get this engine but before I can get excited about the graphics related features I need to know I can easily get a character model rigged and working with some basic AI otherwise the pretty graphics count for zip.
Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 01:48
Quote: "I'd probably get this engine but before I can get excited about the graphics related features I need to know I can easily get a character model rigged and working with some basic AI otherwise the pretty graphics count for zip.
"

I think you have to code your own AI...

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 17:29
Quote: "I think you have to code your own AI..."

Thats fine but has anyone actually done this yet? I haven't seen evidence of enemy AI and Leadwerks doesn't appear to have an enemy AI library.

I thought the user community would have shared some basic AI scrips to get people up and running by now given this isn't covered in the Leadwerks engine tutorial videos.

Are there any plans to add enemy AI libraries out of the box or is anyone aware of a generic skeleton / script that can be used for rigging and AI?
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jul 2009 18:52 Edited at: 16th Jul 2009 18:53
Quote: "Thats fine but has anyone actually done this yet?"

Maybe, maybe not... keep in mind that AI is respected as one of the hardest, if not the hardest part of game design. LE has been out for about a year, not many indie projects (in any language) get finished/to the level of adding AI and so on. Couple that all together and you get the picture; it will happen at some point, it is just the case that nobody has got to that level of completition with a game yet, and that isn't a leadwerks thing, I'm betting there weren't too many DB games with high standard enemy AI in DBC's first year of use

Quote: "Leadwerks doesn't appear to have an enemy AI library."

Leadwerks is primarily for managing the entities/physics/rendering pipeline of a game. Conversely AI is much more based upon conditions and logic, and therefore you could already write AI in any language. There are probably a load of AI libraries that have already been made (idk though) around, and that is why leadwerks doesn't have to focus so strongly on the AI.

e.g. instead of using a LE library with pathfinding in, all you need to do is find a pre-made library/source code with the A* algorithm in, and implement that in with the object code for leadwerks, to get it working. Likewise, Finite State Machines can be done with a load of condition statements flexibly.

Quote: "I thought the user community would have shared some basic AI scrips to get people up and running by now "

That would be quite nice, or an AI resource thread which links to starter materials; for beginning programmers that would be nice.

Good luck with finding a game engine
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jul 2009 00:26
Thanks for the informative reply.

That cleared up my queries and I'll just have to wait to see if support for AI in Leadwerks improves over time before purchasing.

As a level designer with limited time available, sitting down to learn advanced programming techniques isn't really my floating point.

I've subsequently read some Leadwerks threads and AI does seem to be something people are still trying to figure out and their probably a lot smarter than I am so I'll leave them to it.

I just downloaded the Source SDK and Base for Orange Box and successfully compiled a HL2 level I've been editing. It also allows you to re use characters animations for rigging models and AI scripts so I think that will do me for now.

Thanks again for your help.
Leadwerks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2009 20:25 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2009 20:25
Quote: "I downloaded the trial and then noticed the GeForce8800 card requirement. I tried with my GeForce fx5500 and no go."

A GEForce 8800 is recommended, not required. The worst card it will run on is the GEForce 6 or the ATI 2000 series, although performance will be terrible.

Quote: "I just downloaded the Source SDK and Base for Orange Box and successfully compiled a HL2 level I've been editing. It also allows you to re use characters animations for rigging models and AI scripts so I think that will do me for now."

It sounds like you don't want a game engine. You just want a game somebody else made that you can tinker around with.
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2009 23:55
Just purchased a temporary new Card (GTS 250), to support my new monitors.

So I've finally been able to play with the evaluation kit. Very nice indeed!

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
you rented one BiggAdd?

When you can't walk, you'll crawl,
When you can't crawl, I'll carry you.
http://lazerus-reborn.deviantart.com/
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2009 00:34
No just purchased one for £100. Will be getting 2 295's in the new year.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2009 14:11
Just had to come here and say, that road screenshot you uploaded to the gallery Josh, it's just incredible!

Any chance you can add support for those VR920 headsets?, because I can see these things taking off and I think Leadwerks is a great platform for them, full 3D VR world editing would be a lot of fun!.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Tanner 3000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2009 07:56
"INCREDIBLE"
-lostcontactgaming.com

10/10

Go to lostcontact.org
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2009 04:03
hey, I just downloaded and installed this, and it says that my 30 day trial is up.
Anyone else have this problem? Any explanation would be appreciated.

I have a devious mind.
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 05:51
bump.
Can anyone tell me why it says my trial is up?

I have a devious mind.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 17:53
Try emailing Leadwerks.

Senior Web Developer - Nokia
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 22:29
Good idea.
Can you point tell their email address? I dont see it on their forum account (next to their profile button under their posts), and cant find it anywhere else.

I have a devious mind.
Tom J
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 22:55 Edited at: 16th Sep 2009 22:56
Go to http://forum.leadwerks.com
edit: even better actually would be http://www.leadwerks.com/company.html
Omega gamer 89
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2009 03:17
thanks, will check in with them.