Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Carnage - 4 player deathmatch game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2008 21:01
Quote: "@Alfa x - Sounds like a promising project mate, but to be honest, at this point in time I really wouldn't have time to work on anything else. Thanks for showing interest in my work though. "

If you come to have time and want to work please tell me, we will enjoy to work with you.

-------------------------------------------------------

The video is very nice, 4 players is wonderful and give me some ideas. Have you thought in a team death match or on a capture the flag?
Devil_d0g
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh nice. Something I would definitley consider paying for if it came to a commercial release. Look forward to more! this is excellent!

Learn to program , and make games using your favorite engines! www.gm-help.net (Audio/Visual Learning)
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 10:26
Looks incredible Fallout, I especially like the way the guy uses cover and directs the guns around corners.

I think a ricochet gun would be cool, maybe like a .44 magnum but have the bullets bounce off walls leaving sparks and debris .

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
BiggAdd
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 12:38 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2008 12:39
Quote: "I think a ricochet gun would be cool, maybe like a .44 magnum but have the bullets bounce off walls leaving sparks and debris"

That would be pretty smart.

This reminds me a lot of the First GTA games.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 14:30
This somehow reminds me of Ratchet in Clank, when you have to capture the base. Played it with my friend, and that was awesome!

This is a little like it.

Why don`t you make your levels a bit bigger, add some camera zooming and positioning effects when the players are close to one another(so you don`t see the whole level), and put a base for each player in each corner. And the players have to destroy the other persons base.

But put like a huge gun on top of the base that shoots any enemy and kills it instantly.

Great job, keep it up!

TheComet

Peachy, and the Chaos of the Gems

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2008 21:39
Thanks for the comments and ideas guys. There are so many extras in the pipeline, so don't you worry. There will be a whole host of game modes, and power-ups. Don't worry.

Found a few moments to work on it this evening, so I'm gonna work on getting a few more features in there. Last night I added respawn effects, and reversed screams, which makes it sound like you're coming back from the afterlife. More later ...

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2008 02:49
Looking fantasmigorical

I noticed that it was a bit unfair on the re-spawn. Wondering if there should be an invulnerability period when you re-spawn, where you can't shoot and can't be killed?

also, if everyone is playing on one input setup, would it be nice to have a lockon feature?

anyway, can't wait to play a demo and splatter my housemate.

akkt
Years of Service
User Offline
hi

fallout - judging by the number of started projects you must have plenty of time in your hands

drop me a line - there is a question I'd like to ask and obviously you are the guy who should know the answer [see the above statement]

cheers & thx in advance
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 06:38
Fallout,
Good to see you back. Awesome looking game! It looks like a GREAT combination of simple and fun. That can be hard to find.

To Whomever this applies:
Please STOP making team requests, it is against forum rules.

a.k.a WOLF!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 09:51
More simple updates:
- Added very basic HUD so you can track your health and kill count
- Added some blood and charred flesh skins, for when you're wounded

Next step, I have a choice between working on power-ups, or putting together the game structures (i.e. co-op modes etc.). Not sure which route I'll take yet. Might have to put it all on stand-by for xmas shopping!

@Ron. Thanks for the comment chap. I really should be using your animation plug-in. I bought it ages ago, and STILL haven't got round to using it. Does it work with DGDK? I am most likely going to port this across. I suspect not, and I suspect the same is true of Sparky's collision DLL which I'm using. May be some technical hurdles for me ahead.

@akkt
Not all all! I'm a busy lad. Operation Desert Fallout was developed at uni for my dissertation, Claymore Island was mostly developed after uni before I found a job, and Spitfire Maverick and this are both simple formulas that I can give an hour or so to in the evening, when I find the time. So I really have no time for co-ops (not that there are any contact details on your post/profile anyway )

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 12:13 Edited at: 4th Dec 2008 12:16
Fallout,

Yes. Enhanced Animations DOES work with DGDK. If you are interested in making this work with EnAn (in DBpro or DGDK), I'll be happy to offer as much support as I can.

Edit:
If you ever decide to make this multiplayer across a network, one cool feature would be to HIDE opponents that are not in view.

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 12:26
Brilliant. Thanks for that matey. When I start porting, I'll make sure I incorporate Enhanced Animations. I have a feeling that'll make my life a lot easier, and allow me to improve it a lot.

As for line of sight, that's a good idea. I think it's a feature that'll need to be selectable in the game setup. I'm sure some people will like the stealth/surprise nature of being able to hide, and have people appear as they run round corners. Other people will prefer the guaranteed conflict that comes from always being able to track your opponent down (me being the former, as I am a sneaky bastard at heart ). But anyway, it's on the list!

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2008 13:16
As a compromise, you could have the line of sight system, and once an enemy is no longer visible, have a small arrow next to your character point in their general direction, so you always know which way to go approximately.
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2008 16:04
I have to agree that respawning seems massively unfair. Also, will weapons be random on spawning, or will there be weapon pickups and the like in the game?

I have to agree that having a zoom-effect like in TGC Heroes or Super Smash Brothers would likely be quite cool in a game like this.

And if you don't finish this game, I will personally come to you and try out all the weapons in the game on you . Capeesh?

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2008 01:39
Don't worry about the spawning chaps. What you see is all prototype work and temporary. There will be much more to this, and it will be nicely balanced.

Right now, I've started porting to DarkGDK, which will take me a little while since I've not coded in C++ before. Then I want to incorporate Enhanced Animations to give me more options with character movements, and also Dark Physics as I want to try and implement ragdolls. Then, I also need to start thinking about network coding. After that, the many power-ups and game modes that I have planned. Lots of challenges ahead!

Anyway, expect an update when I've got a shell of the engine working again in DGDK.

Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2008 02:34 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2008 15:58
HI! very inspiring, I'm on my way to program my carnage alike OK?

pascontent.
Dragon Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2008 03:20 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2008 03:22
I think i remember you fallout, perhaps... you were the one creating the RTS with some really nice missile trajectories in it.

Anyway looks like it could be a fun little game, keep up the good work.

you've never coded c++? it's really not as difficult as people make it out to be, i believe its just the vast library's it's nearly impossible to remember them all. Well.. except the one person who made it

----------------------------------
http://www.hybridwolves.co.uk
----------------------------------
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 17:07
Hi all,

TGC are now working with Fallout to take this game to another level. Our local business development agency was offering £10,000 pitch money to five game ideas. I went along for a two day event and pitched Carnage. Just before Christmas we found out that we had been chosen as one of the lucky five. The aim is to improve the game demo over the next three months and then pitch the game again for possible development onto PSN. You can follow the game's progress on the official blog here;

http://getinthegame.squarespace.com/blog/

Just shows what can happen when you post your game demos in the forums!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
[Check out Jed McKenna - http://www.wisefoolpress.com/]
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 17:28
That is AWESOME! Congrats Fallout and TGC!

a.k.a WOLF!
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 17:34
umm... WOW!

I didn't expect to read THAT when I clicked on this thread...

[/url]
IntelCore2Duo@2.60GHz-4GB RAM-NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M
Windows Vista Business 32bit / Ubuntu 8.10 64bit
Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 19:20
Haha! Good luck, Fallout! And nice job TGC you are really doing great!

Inspire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:16
Amazing! Congrats Fallout!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:21
Thanks guys. Finally, the correct motivation to actually finish something.

Alfa x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:22 Edited at: 6th Jan 2009 22:24
congrats Fallout.
When i saw your work i knew that it was of excellent quality.
Bizar Guy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 22:23
Ah good! I was wondering what would happen after you posted the first time Rick, seems to have gone really well.

Alucard94
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2009 23:36
Awesome! Congratulations Fallout!

Alucard94, the member of the future of the past.
draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2009 01:00
Congrats man, it's well deserved.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 09:48:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 09:48:58