Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Product Chat / The Fight For Independence Contest!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 05:02 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2009 05:03
The bonus to Historical Accuracy may not be fair to us who already started Remember, the rule is ANY era (including the future so sci-fi stuff works too) as long as the game is war based

Just a thought...

All the best

Yeah... got hurt when i tripped... on some bullets
nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
count me in.....where to post the game???

divernika
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Crusader2

I think that the contest is war themed, as opposed to battle themed - hence the use of doors etc. I cannot speak for the contest organiser and judges but I imagine they will award points not necessarily for creating a combat situation but perhaps putting a different spin on war and combat - the rule demanding a story zone seems to suggest they are looking for maybe a little bit more than a battle. Or maybe not. Am sure your entry will be great
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 14:52
@Crusader2: chidem is right - the contest is war-themed, but not necessarily historically accurate. And the thing with the story zone is that not a lot of these contests have a story zone requirement, and I thought it would be interesting to have one of these in a war-themed game. You know, to see what people can come up with in the heat of battle.

And seeing as we aren't concerned so much about historical accuracy, the bonus 10 point category isn't going to be added. Now, if the judges feel that you have done a splendid job and were historically accurate, it may be reflected in your score in other areas. Maybe not, but I'm just saying.

@nikas: When you are finished, you can post your game/contest entry here in this thread. When all the entries have been received and the judging begins, a new thread will be created to give the results.

Priest of the Church of Joe Wood

In memory of Nanee. 9/1/1993 - 5/16/2009. Rest in Peace, little girl.
Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2009 14:57
I have no problem with the Story Zone rule. It's just that I'd started planning how to do Bunker Hill before I saw doors were required.

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's just that I'd started planning how to do Bunker Hill before I saw doors were required. "

You could try doing an offshoot of Bunker Hill, such as the British assault on Charlestown Village - there could be a few rogue redcoats within the town - with doors that require keys. Or you could try something totally different and set Bunker Hill as a backdrop. You could, for example, play a man trying to find the members of his family in Charlestown village during the assault with an aim to getting them out of the combat zone?
Crusader2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 17:51
Very good ideas, Chidem. Very good... There is still the problem of the switch, but I got a few ideas on how to do that.

Some people say that I'm crazy... And I agree.
USE PLY'S MOD!
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Very good ideas, Chidem. Very good... There is still the problem of the switch, but I got a few ideas on how to do that."

Yes, there is still the problem of the switch...hint hint!
Opposing force
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jun 2009 21:01
Are you guys going to be creating period weapons and characters for the competition. That is another thing to consider.
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 14:45
bump.....to prevent the thread from falling to the next page.

Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 16:47
wait until you guys see my entry

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 19:53
Im going to have 100% custom weapons for the contest and 10% custom characters

A.K.A. chargerbandit
[href]http://chargedstudios.netne.net/index.htm[href]
dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2009 22:34
Can't wait to see them djmaster! Good luck all!

Look for me on CoD4 online for PC. My username's Arbiquator (strange I know but it's the first thing that came to mind)

Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 06:25
I have 100% Custom Segments and Entities, Humvee Driving, Custom explosions and Huds

dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 07:07
Nice, very nice both of you!! This should be very fun to judge!!
I think that the small level maximum leaves people lots of time to put together custom models and gameplay mechanics.

Look for me on CoD4 online for PC. My username's Arbiquator (strange I know but it's the first thing that came to mind)

ETCG
Years of Service
User Offline
Count me in! The hardest part is gonna be the story zone, but everything else will be easy. I hope those days after days of playing CoD pay off now!
beachard5
Years of Service
User Offline
it looks like you might need some more judges can i be a judge??

ETCG
Years of Service
User Offline
Count me in!
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 14:43
@ETCG: You've been added as an entrant.

@beachard5: You've been added as a judge.

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 15:09
I'll judge if you wish i may have some prizes but need to get my head around what to offer this time.

The Next
Windows 7, Intel Core 2 Duo 3.2 Ghz, 4GB, 2x Nvidia 9600GT 1GB
Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 16:01
Quote: "I have 100% Custom Segments and Entities, Humvee Driving, Custom explosions and Huds"

the HUD displays the hood of the humvee instead of a top view-- custom camera placement--- youll use the w,a,s,d keys to move and turn
mouse to look left and right--

Adding onto the custom entities-- I have added my own terrain--- I use T.Ed -- and it works perfectly with FPSC.

Custom Music- Produced by me

Custom Scripts

Hint for all the Beginners out there in MapEditing-- it helps to map out your level on Graph Paper before you start placing random stuff.

Ill keep you Guys updated--

thanks.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2009 17:48
@The Next: I've added you as a judge.

@everyone: no more judges are needed. 5 is a good enough number, and will allow us to grade your entries appropriately.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2009 22:39
bumpt...to prevent from dropping to the next page.

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
i would want to make a fpsc games review site....where i could make reviews of the games from that contest and for other games fro free....would you agree to this??would you send me a link where i could download the game took video while playing and make reviews?

divernika
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 01:54
Question! Is this just limited to X9? Or are the entrants able to submit a X10 submission.

chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
@ Nikas - that sounds like a really cool idea
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 02:31 Edited at: 28th Jun 2009 02:32
EDIT: Nvm, stupid me I thought it said june 31, wow, i have a whole nother month than i thought

Exciting Sci-Fi thriller: Equinox. Coming Soon.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=151865&b=25
Violent Pigeon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 04:11
Im In

Your signature has been erased by a mod - Please reduce it to 600x120 maximum size
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 18:05
@Violent Pigeon: Added you to this list of entrants

@nikas: I have no problem with that. In fact, it's a pretty cool idea. All entries should be posted in this thread, so you can get them from here. As far as reviewing them, however, I'd say that while everyone here would be pretty cool about it, you may just want to check with the developer to make sure.

@Matuka: Sorry, but it's X9 only. Check the first post for details. Sorry that X10 isn't included, but IMHO it's too difficult to judge X9 entries equally with X10.

Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jun 2009 19:32
matuka whats your Steam username bro? i play cs and practically all the games you have listed on your signature

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
whell guys i will start making the site in the half of next month..besically it will incule fpsc games trailers-reviews-ideas for games...and a place where a multyplayer game will be able to gather players set days and hours to play a game...and i will need some help from all of you guys....who keeps the contest together i would wanna ask if there would be any way to send me the way a game is lets say 4th or 5th or the first.....so i could add some of this to my reviews.

divernika
surpy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 03:06
wow this is going to be tough with you guys and your custom things and all I would be surprised if I get to be in 3rd or 2nd place just try not to spill to much info you guys

don't make me use this... oooh shiny
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 04:33 Edited at: 30th Jun 2009 04:33
Yep, with all teh custom content goin round i'm pretty much screwed, can't sweat it too much i guess, it is only my 2nd REAL project
Still maybe i'll get 4th even!

All teh best

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
wheel at list in my game reviews i will be prefering content that will be made by the one who created the game and so should judjes do to....because you cant get to the first place for somebodies else models......demn i should be a juzding.........

divernika
Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Well what about those who cant model or do music or textures? That's be unfair as the ones who can would just dominate them. This isn't a custom media competition, it's a comp to see who can make the best overall game, custom content isn't everything, story, level design, enemy placements all that stuff matters too. Hmm, i shoulda been a judge maself

Anyways, all the best to those who entered, including me

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 08:01 Edited at: 30th Jun 2009 08:04
Quote: "Well what about those who cant model or do music or textures? That's be unfair as the ones who can would just dominate them. "

Those who cannot have the choice whether or not to enter and be dominated by said talents If you restrict custom media, then for the same reason it would make sense to ban custom scripts as well. Do that, and it's not really a level design compitition; it's a 'drag and drop' challenge

EDIT:
Leon, you can take me off of the list of entrants. I've got to try to whip up a first place entry for the Ultimate FPSC Compititon in any spare time I can attain. Good luck with your compitition!

Kravenwolf

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 09:52
My new project is really an Independence war,Koreans taking over USA now you must fight for independence,excellent.

"Im British you muppet!"-Psycho
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "Well what about those who cant model or do music or textures? That's be unfair as the ones who can would just dominate them. "

Those who cannot have the choice whether or not to enter and be dominated by said talents If you restrict custom media, then for the same reason it would make sense to ban custom scripts as well. Do that, and it's not really a level design compitition; it's a 'drag and drop' challenge "

Ekipshi - I cannot make custom models either so you're not alone. Although I imagine custom models will be appreciated by the judges I am sure they are also looking for unique or innovative implementation - whether those models are custom or not. After all this is a game making, not a model building, contest. I imagine that it is the complete package that is being judged as opposed to, for instance, just the models that are employed. I guess what I'm trying to say in a very long winded way is that just because an entry employs custom media it does not follow that that entry will be a better game than an entry that employs none
chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "wheel at list in my game reviews i will be prefering content that will be made by the one who created the game and so should judjes do to....because you cant get to the first place for somebodies else models......demn i should be a juzding........."

Nikas, I think your website sounds like a really great idea. The one thing I would say is that I do somewhat disagree with this view. If we were to take that argument to its natural conclusion then a case could be made that using FPSC at all (someone else's engine, possibly running someone else's mod) is a bit of cheat, or just as much reason to look down on a game creators as using models created by someone else. Afterall, if we don't have a problem using someone else's engine/mods why should it matter who made the models? Indeed, I think someone made a good point just a few days ago in a forum post, noting that very few people work on FPSC games as teams (like Half Life modders) - although I don't/can't make models, when In purchase the models of another person I am, in some ways, drawing upon that person's talent for my 'virtual team'. Far from putting people off using models created by others, particuarly those in the store, I think it should be encouraged - for one thing it gives some very talented people some money and for the rest of us it gives us high quality resources for our games.

Sorry, I hope this doesn't seem like I am being unreasonable and I certainly don't mean to flame - just my honest opinion
djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 13:24
Complaining about custom media,im sure everything you need is right here on these forums.My game will be 80% scratch but that doesnt mean ill have good framerate,good designs and fun game.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 14:51
@Kravenwolf: Sorry to hear that you're dropping out of this one. I was really interested to see what you'd be putting together for this. Now I'll just have to wander over to the WIP and Showcase boards....

@Everyone else: The Media category includes all types of media - models, sounds, etc. And although custom media is cool, it isn't necessary to have an entry in the contest. Yes, custom media is cool and you'll probably get a higher score for it. But we aren't talking about getting an additional 50 points for it - more like 10. Why? Placement of media (models and sounds) is just as important as having it. I mean, which would you rather see:

1. A custom created, antique british desk in the middle of a field (where is literally has no purpose); or

2. A stock soldier hidden in the barracks who starts firing on you as soon as you enter.

I'd rather see # 2 - it may be stock, but it's a better use of the media.

Ekipshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Allright i see your point guys
I understand custom media is an added bonus and can make a game great if used correctly as Leon pointed out

I guess what i was mainly directing at was how nikas said that he should judge because he would judge basically by custom media because apprently
Quote: "because you cant get to the first place for somebodies else models"

All the best

nikas
Years of Service
User Offline
well what i mean is that just admit it we alla know that when we will play we will say to aour selves ohhh i could do that...ohhh i have this model....and this one and this....ohhh i have all the modles of this games...my god i didnt saw something diferent that i would wanna see in a game that is not made by me.....i mean if you see something that you have already seen just dont gives much impression if you would like that fpsc engine to go further stop saying bravo to the 11 years old fpasc users that make games krapy and thing that they are grate game makers...be more proffesional.well all can place a table and some models in the right spot...but again this is my opinion you dont have to agree with me i dont mean anything bad i am just saying that be more proffesional with judjing....

divernika
Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 19:58
Again, I would rather see stock media used properly than custom media not. Admittedly, custom media used properly is outstanding. But I'm looking at (when I judge - and I can't speak for the other judges here) how media is used, and not so much as to if it was custom or not. Whether it's custom or not does have some effect on the score, but you get more points for using media properly.

chidem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 04:19 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2009 04:45
Here is the WIP for my entry for the contest@

[href]Link Removed[/href]

Edit: Oops, sorry. I was just informed that you can only post games in this thread and I just started a WIP - I've asked the Mods to lock it - sorry about the mix up
Aertic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 18:39
Quote: "matuka whats your Steam username bro? i play cs and practically all the games you have listed on your signature"

We're getting offtopic now, but never the less, it's matuka628, use the steam add freinds option and just type it in...

dark peanut
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 00:20
Look at Wehtam's game Automatic Update! He uses stock media for practically %96 of his game and its an incredible game!! Its not what you use but how you use it that determines the outcome.

dark peanut

djmaster
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 16:01
Just one thing,im drawing the weapon prizes out of the list,sorry.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 04:20
Quote: "Just one thing,im drawing the weapon prizes out of the list,sorry."

Sorry to hear that. First post updated.

Leon Kennedy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 01:40
bump

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-12 23:13:58
Your offset time is: 2024-10-12 23:13:58