Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Blox - Save the world from the evil Blox!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 01:36
Sure, it only took me a couple of minutes to create them. ^^

.zip attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 01:52
Thank you! I added you to the thank you list!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 02:35
Here is a new screenshot,

Followed by Demo 3.0!

Comments?
Bugs?
Suggestions?

Attachments

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 04:07 Edited at: 30th Jun 2009 04:49
[removed]

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 04:48
Here is the 3.0 patch, fixes a bug with the lives.

Attachments

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 07:11
Works nicely, good job!

I was able to beat difficulty 5 with half my health left, now for level 6 xD. I didn't actually use the teleport ability either, something needs to be done with it but I'm not sure what.

nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 12:03
Very nice! I beat all difficulties. But I find a bug, and some things that could've been improved:

Bug:
On difficulty 6, you do lose your health, but when the meter equals zero, you don't lose a life, so you can get beaten by hundreds of blocks without dying.

Improvements:
Why do you have a cursor when the mouse is not in use? Or are you going to add mouse support later on?

And another thing, when the blocks disappear, I notice they do it before they reach the bottom of the screen, they disappear right besides the smiley dude. It would look better if they reached the bottom of the screen before disappearing.

My two cents, keep the good work up, this is beginning to shape into a really nice and funny game.

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 15:13 Edited at: 30th Jun 2009 15:14
Good

btw, if you enter nothing on the difficulty-select screen you get what I think is level 5 or 6, but you don't lose health.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 16:35 Edited at: 30th Jun 2009 16:53
Thanks for the comments/compliments!

Well there is a patch that fixes the difficulty bug, if you download it it fixes it. Plus the mouse is in use, just click and see what happens.

@MonoCoder: Haha shoot you figured out my setup difficulty! I will have to remove that!

Here is a view of the Fast Blox which is the one that moves faster than others.

Cheers!
Zeus

Attachments

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 17:39
Here is the life Blox which gives you another life if needed.

Attachments

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 20:12
I like the way the life block looks ^^.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 20:23
Liking the new style and blocks

draknir_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2009 21:19
Cool game, you've come a long way I managed to beat the first 5 difficulty level without taking any damage, 6 with some health lost, but 7 was too hard
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 04:27
Thanks! I hope to get the power ups and different blocks working within the next two days for the new 3.5 demo. I can only hope to release that demo bug free lol. I am beginning to work on it now, I have been out today so I did not get adequate time to work on it.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 06:31
All of the art is done, I will post them all.

Well left to right explanation,

Teleport Blox (recharges teleport)
Blox
Death Blox (takes one life away)
Life Blox (gives one life if needed)
Clear Blox (clears all the Blox off for 10 seconds)
Fast Blox (moves faster)
Attack Blox (attacks the player directly)
Advanced Blox (moves in more difficulty ways)

How do they look?

Cheers!
Zeus

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 07:55
Awesome! I can't wait to see them ingame ^^.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 16:27
Yeah, that should be coming pretty soon! I can't wait to get it up here. I was maybe thinking of adding a 'Survival Mode' that is two player to see who can survive the longest. Does that sound like a good idea?

Cheers!
Zeus

Roxas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 16:57
Looks really nice Zeus!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 17:17
Thanks Roxas! Here is a screenshot of the Fast Blox in game.

Sadly, when I originally took it, I saw three of them on the screen. Stupid fast blox!

Cheers!
Zeus

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Should be in Program announcements or work in progress

Your signature has been erased by a mod
oh poo
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2009 19:44
It is in Work In Progress there buddy.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 10:15

And those huge ones are called Fat Blox and they are just really fat.

Comments?

Cheers!
Zeus

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 10:27
Nice, but they look a bit weird how they overlap. Also, if there are smaller blox underneath them, it'd be a bit unfair for one to suddenly reappear from underneath.

Could I suggest a pattern of motion for these? How about they come down from above the top of the screen, and stop when they are fully in view. They pause a moment, then quickly slam down (additive(?) speed, where they begin at a slower speed then it rises as they reach the bottom). That would really put emphasis on their size and weight, while not causing the problem above.

Lastly, I don't think they should come so frequently as for there to be up to 3 potentially on screen at once.

Looking good.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2009 10:31
Well thank you. You can thank Happy Cheesecake for the fat Blox idea. Trust me, if you would play it now, you wouldn't be complaining of the difficulty, I promise.. There is also new difficulty 7. I will probably take on to your idea. Thanks!

Cheers!
Zeus

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 05:02
Lookin great! I'm glad I could help with your falling boxes troubles--it looks like you're putting the code to good use.

i like orange
Brick Break
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 05:20
May I suggest you use a separate image for the fat blox? They look scaled and pixelated. Also, you should put the number of lives by the player icon, not some heart.

Hope I helped

Permanoobs are awesome.
Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2009 05:41
Quote: "if there are smaller blox underneath them, it'd be a bit unfair for one to suddenly reappear from underneath."

That was actually the thing we were going for when we made the fat blox. But your idea of them slamming down is good, so Zeus decided to do that instead.

"Lemonade: Is there something wrong with having a personal opinion?

Hobgoblin Lord: Only in a forum where people are gonna tear you apart for the fun of it."
tha_rami
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 03:12 Edited at: 4th Jul 2009 03:13
I know you'd rather not bring up your past, Zeus, but I am really impressed to see how professional and realistic your current project and presentation is compared to the old days. As far as I'm concerned, this thread pretty much proves the old Zeus is gone, and that Zeus 2.0 is going to be creating some interesting, fun games in the future.

It's cool to see how this particular project is slowly evolving from a simple ten-second game into a more fleshed out game.

Keep it up, it's looking good!

A mod has been erased by your signature because it was larger than 600x120
nackidno
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2009 14:32
Zeus, one thing about your story bothers me, if the smiley is supposed to save the world, why is he dodging the blox? isn't the blox surviving when the smiley is dodging all of them? How is he supposed to save the world then?

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 06:13
Quote: "Zeus, one thing about your story bothers me, if the smiley is supposed to save the world, why is he dodging the blox? isn't the blox surviving when the smiley is dodging all of them? How is he supposed to save the world then? "

It was just something off of the top of my head.

And sorry the demo isn't out yet, having attack blox trouble and Independence Day has got me tied up, demo should be here by Tuesday possibly sooner, once again I am sorry!

@tha_rami: You can bring up my past... as long as you are complimenting me.

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 09:01
Quote: "Zeus, one thing about your story bothers me, if the smiley is supposed to save the world, why is he dodging the blox? isn't the blox surviving when the smiley is dodging all of them? How is he supposed to save the world then?"

Well, I brought up the same exact question when talking to Zeus one day, and he told me that when the blox hit the ground, they die, and by dodging them, you're ultimately causing their demise...wait...that doesn't make sense.

@ Zeus
I'm gonna look into getting highspeed internet Monday. Hopefully the waiting list isn't too long.

Hobgoblin Lord: Only in a forum where people are gonna tear you apart for the fun of it."
Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 16:46
Quote: "Well, I brought up the same exact question when talking to Zeus one day, and he told me that when the blox hit the ground, they die, and by dodging them, you're ultimately causing their demise...wait...that doesn't make sense."

If you guys must have it, I will write a better storyline.

Quote: "@ Zeus
I'm gonna look into getting highspeed internet Monday. Hopefully the waiting list isn't too long.
"

It's about freakin' time.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 22:03
Update

I am not making attack blox. Here are my reasons.

A) They are pointless.
B) They are being too over complicated.
C) They are the exact same as advanced blox (except they do not attack the player directly).

Happy Cheesecake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2009 23:19
I guess it's for the best if it's delaying the game's progress. How are you doing with advanced blox?

Quote: "If you guys must have it, I will write a better storyline."

I must have it.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 00:57
Quote: "I guess it's for the best if it's delaying the game's progress. How are you doing with advanced blox?"

Advanced blox are going better than attack blox were as of this point. Looking forward to showing you guys demo 3.5!

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 01:18
Quote: "They are being too over complicated"

Pseudo-code:

If block x pos is more than player x pos then decrement block x pos
If block x pos is less than player x pos then increment block x pos

Not too hard (Other than that it's the same code as for a normal block)

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 02:32
Well now I have made the advanced Blox which do what I wanted the attack Blox to do, so now we have sort of a combination. Lol.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 05:34
Here is a brand new screenshot!

Followed by Demo v3.5!

Release Notes:

Attachments

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 16:12
Comments?

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 20:58
Anyone?

MonoCoder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 21:29 Edited at: 6th Jul 2009 21:35
Slow day.

It's good, and certainly there's a bit more variety to it. But for all the different blox, only the health, attack and normal ones get any real attention during play. Maybe it's just because I didn't look in the media folder or something, but perhaps they could do with some extra effects to better differentiate. ie. Invincibility shrouded in sparkly stuff (and the player when he gets it, as there's no indication of it starting/finishing that I can see).

At any rate though, by the time we get to level 7 something bizarre's going on with the difficulty: it's too fast to really properly avoid them, and thus you end up battered left, right and centre; but so long as you just grab the health, you're fine - the level is really easy. I think you should look at forcing a gap or two so the player with enough effort should always be able to keep out of the way. That way grabbing health has a bit more to it because the player has to navigate into the midst of harmful blox just to get it.

I think what you need to do is run the number of difficulty levels down to something more manageable: rather than x number of indistinguishable difficulties, just have 3: easy, medium, hard. It'll be a bit less clutter and easier to manage for you, instead of trying to find a balance that works for 7 difficulties. That way you can play test each a lot more closely and really tweak it to the correct level of difficulty.

Bit of a problem with the blox that follow you: Trying to avoid them can usually push you into the path of a bunch of others. On top of that, fast blox are just way too fast.

Last thing: Like many things it might just be me, but it's way too fiddly trying to control the player with the keys and position the mouse to use teleportation effectively at the same time. The game is very primarily keyboard-based, so the mouse is a bit odd thrown in there for that one thing. Perhaps instead have the player use the spacebar or something to drop a beacon/node/whatever in a spot, and then press it again to teleport him to that spot.

I can't remember if you had already done this, but good on getting the game to go back to the menu instead of exiting.

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2009 21:50
Alright, the sparkling stuff around the invincibility Blox can be done. They are literally completely random so I have no control of the ones that appear and where, however, I can look over the code once again and tweak it so it will be a little more challenging to grab happy Blox. I will probably have the four original difficulties, Easy, Medium, Hard, and Extreme that way the code will be easier to manage and easier to tweak.

Quote: "Bit of a problem with the blox that follow you: Trying to avoid them can usually push you into the path of a bunch of others."

That is what I was going for with advanced/attack Blox as well I really can not help that other than change the speed of those Blox.

Quote: "On top of that, fast blox are just way too fast."

That will be dealt with.

Quote: "
Last thing: Like many things it might just be me, but it's way too fiddly trying to control the player with the keys and position the mouse to use teleportation effectively at the same time. The game is very primarily keyboard-based, so the mouse is a bit odd thrown in there for that one thing. Perhaps instead have the player use the spacebar or something to drop a beacon/node/whatever in a spot, and then press it again to teleport him to that spot."

Well see dropping nodes will not be the most sensible thing. Imagine there is a huge Blox "trap" and you have already dropped a node, you teleport, and there comes another Blox "trap" and you can not teleport because it is recharging. I may consider changing it though.

Well I have a lot of work to do so, I will back to it and also you will see a better menu in demo 4.0 because I am going to make playthrough mode in 4.0 however, there will be a "patch" for 3.5 that will use MonoCoder's Blox suggestions.

Thanks for the constructive criticism and I appreciate it!

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 06:08
Here is the new invincibility Blox which has a glow around it which makes 10x more noticeable.

I attached a screenshot of the new menu, demonstrating the mouseover feature but the cursor isn't in the shot for some odd reason.

Attachments

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 06:18
Here is level 2 (playthrough mode) and it has fast Blox only.

Attachments

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 07:02 Edited at: 7th Jul 2009 07:03
Update!

The final demo is coming sooner than expected. It is thought that 4.0 will be the final demo before the finished product. However, demo 4.0 will only include 2 playthrough mode levels and the quickplay level due to the fact this game is going to be sold on the internet for $5.00, the complete product (if purchased) will contain the following,

2 Player Survival Mode
Custom Mode
10 Levels of Playthrough
Access to free expansions.

Selling this was not my idea though, it was my father's. I never intended for the game to this far. It was an experiment for DBP and then I decided, why not post it on WIP? I am glad that I did. How many people would be interested in purchasing though?

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jul 2009 18:46
Why do I feel like I am being ignored? Any comments on the game/new demo/update?

Cheers!
Zeus

Zeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jul 2009 01:23
Update!

The Blox website is up, take a look at it, http://zeus.netii.net/blox.php?main the trial is up for Blox as well, http://zeus.netii.net/blox.php?downloadTrial.

-Zeus

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 09:34
Quote: "$5.00"

*sighs*

Phosphoer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 10:21
Sorry, I just don't think this game is polished or engaging enough to be bought.

Just my opinion though.

AndrewT
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jul 2009 16:48
Quote: "Sorry, I just don't think this game is polished or engaging enough to be bought."

Nor do I. I have many games that are more fun than this on my iPod that were less than $5.00 or even free.

However this is your first complete game--you should not feel obligated to sell it. I say you spend another year or two working hard on your game dev skills, then you should be capable of producing a little minigame like this one that you could sell for a couple bucks.

i like orange

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 10:29:19
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 10:29:19