Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Lazerus' Media

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2010 20:52
Ah! I thought 'lad' meant 'lady'...sorry, american ignorance at work.

SJHooks
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 06:20
The narrow waist and small torso compared to his other limbs are what hints toward the model's feminant side for me (Unless you're deliberately aiming toward that anime type of look, I can never tell, and I'm allergic to reading); not so sure if the hips are the problem:
(I think I made the outlines a little too wide, but that's my best guess at the difference once you'v added the head and feet)

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Aug 2010 06:52
Nah, had nothing to do with the design, I'm just dumb. Lad=Lady just made sense to my brain...er

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Update;
Ha bet you thought id given up, but i never!

@sj, i beefed out the propotions a little to balance him out a bit

The back has two gun holders on it, but it looks a little funny without a gun/extra but oh well. Rotated the hands so you can see them. Well recorded the last 3:30 on this guy so im going to chill now, super concentration meant i only made three mistakes but also gave me a hell of a headache

So close to finishing. Still got tweaking to do but thats last

Right a cup of tea and some Tv is in order!!!

FrozenCore#6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2010 00:39
:o Nice

I Luv Those Pointy Fingers ^^

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2010 07:22
Looks a little cyborgish. I'm digging it.

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2010 20:06
I love everything, except for some reason the transition between the legs and the feet look awkward to me, maybe its just me
Good work Lazerus

Scope
Years of Service
User Offline
Luv the stuff you make.
Scope.
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
FrozenCore#6, Josh Mooney, Scope :- Thanks guys ill have this wraped up soon as i can so i can compress the videos together. Thats where hopefully ill shine Ive just finished the head and main facial features along with more general tweaks and surface angles. I have to attach the head then work on the hair, im thinking double sided polies with aplha mapped for the edges then solid state mesh for the main spiked area. More tweaking of course then ill move onto unwrapping the bugger, before i start that though ill make sure to upload the mesh vids for a little eye candy.
Quote: "except for some reason the transition between the legs and the feet look awkward to me, maybe its just me"

It was arkward to make them thats probably why >_<"!, i didnt think it showed so badly, Ill just tweak it out when i get around to it. Maybe ill have a revelation or something

Im not showing any wip shots of the head this time round since it still has alot of work to go into the surrounding areas, in other words it looks pretty crap still. Ill be working on that a little more monday/tuesday/wednesday depending if im drunk or/and hungover on those days.

Back to relaxing, before that// Fun fact, cider is the only drink ive found to give me a hangover, yesterday i may have drunk alot of them. Today not so good, on a stranger note, my face and jaw also went numb Morale? dont drink cider

Now i need sleep

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 10:58
hah! if you don't go numb you aren't doing it right! seriously though, the more sugars and impurities in whatever you're drinking the worse you'll feel the next day. that and it's easy to drink more than you realize with that sweeter stuff.

Scotch forever

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2010 19:37 Edited at: 29th Aug 2010 19:52
Right well for most the mesh is done. I still need to do the hair, but since it will rely heavily on alpha planes and a few bits of mesh, im laying it off till texturing.

Little tired, got over my lack of sleep-headache by waking up at 12:00 today

Moving onto the two hours of work ive done today;

Revisited the feet a little, sorted out smoothing groups so i could spot any flaws in the mesh, n-gons, or some really freaky things that have happened on the meshs, random vertex hives just appear along with alot of hidden pollies out of thin air inside the mesh, youll understand when you see the videos.

/Just to clarify, when you sort the smoothing groups out, you start to notice werid lines or bad shading, these hint at a problem with the mesh as ive said above.

Anyway, any crits or advice on anything will be greatly appreciated, in the mean time i need to compress 8gb of recordings into 4x speed plays each 15 mins long. So much fun >__<"

Ill also sketch out a lovely gun for him to dual weild

-Laz

darimc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 00:25
I looks great but his head seems a bit small.

Master Man Of Justice
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 05:28
i actually like the head like that, it seems like he is in some sort of armour

FrozenCore#6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 06:13 Edited at: 30th Aug 2010 06:14
I Agreee With Both Darimc And Master Man

It Looks Small .. Yet It Can Look Good If U Can get The Proportions Of The Legs And Arms Right ...

Especially The Arms They Look Too Long For The Head...

Edit* I Just Noticed : The Hands Seem To Be As Big As The feet *

Anyways The Head OverAll Looks Not Bad .. Try Fix The Forehead Part .. Its A Bit Too Round or so.

Anyways Good job And Goodluck

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 07:44
even with added bulk from armor, the head is too small compared to the overall height proportionately. Of course if you are intending that to be part of the style of the piece then that's another story, but I'd scale it up a bit.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 14:04 Edited at: 30th Aug 2010 14:06
That be three mentions on the head, scaled it shall be

Same with the arms actually, looking at them they come up to the guys kneecaps lol

Ohh and dont worry about the forehead, most of that will be deleted for the hair mesh

Edit same with the hands, hes wearing gloves so the proportions are a little off.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Well ive tweaked the hell out of this;

Cleaned the poly flow several times across the irratating areas. Fixed the face, it will be alot nicer with hair so dont worry about the forehead now. Its literally since you can see the full curve of the polies. Arms reproportion to head, body chest and legs. I used the biped as reference to the sizes of the limbs so it looks alot better now. Redesigned the feet for a third time. This time they kick ass so its all good. What else, tweaked th efacial features a little, getting rib of the huge nose. Armor has been tweaked and decluttered. Overall its been pretty productive mourning.
Sporting the polycount green now, trying to get in the habit

Well, i never recorded the last tweaks because i really couldnt be bothered with the huge bottle neck in my work flow. However, the 21 2x-3x recordings are now live on youtube. Its alot of of them so im thinking of making a faster version say at 8-10x speed, though you wont be able to see any ofthe details as much as the others, ehh ill have both . Ill do that tonight so im not eating up too many cycles while im working.

Link to the first clip; Cera build 01

Theres 21 so if you get lost or if the linknig dont work then, jump to my page to get the next one.

Next up is unwrapping. Im not sure if its worth recording it. Its very very irratating since you have to be soley focused on the work while overthinking so you dont make mistakes. Blehh, cant be bothered with the extra headaches.

Redostrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2010 18:33
Awesome you have some good drawing skills, i'm still at the start of 3D i'm not even at mapping and unwrapping and still doing plain stuff like cups, fences, doors handels and stuff like that.

Keep up the good work you have some amazing stuff (and skills).

FrozenCore#6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2010 03:45
Nice Work

Only Thing Which Can Be Tweak is The Torso .. I Think It Would Look Better If U Shorten The Stomache Area A Bit.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Dropped the stomcahe down and in the process of uvmapping now

With the new compettion, ill be taking some time to work on the that too. Ive just patched up what i want to do since josh has claimed my idea So if hes got a sword, im doing a chest piece. Touch my idea and ill rip you hands off Anyway yes armour, i was thinking about a full set, the poor mans mecha idea, but i would have to spend alot of polies on nothing. So to let me get the full detail i want, im doing a chest piece with about 4-4.5k of polies compressed into it. The detail should be really really fun so ill be working on that soon. Heres a mood board to tide you over with my orginal idea at the top, The scanned image are my first sketchs of what i want.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2010 21:09
Good luck! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2010 16:43 Edited at: 15th Sep 2010 16:44
Yeah i may have been 'busy' being drunk an all but ive got some work done today

Thanks josh

So yeah heres my progress on the armour.

About an hour or two, not really sure

Started on the material aswell while i was at it. Its a sort of plate metal right now so ill add a better reflection angle and a deeper grain, maybe a little roughness for the unrefined version. Bare in mind this is before the diffuse map which will have its own scrathes and general wear

FrozenCore#6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2010 23:18
Pretty Nice Laz , I'm Looking Forward To The result :3

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Resurrection?

Yeah i can do that.

Well as you can tell from the age of the last post, which ill thanks for the support. I have'nt been active so much over the last few months thanks to Uni. So yeah, i thought i'd take myself through a crash course in base meshing. So here we are, ive had a bit of trouble with ab's but yeah at least it has slightly reasonable poly flow.

Cheers ;D

kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2010 08:39
Hm, what program are you using ? I guess blender. Nice char .

Cheers!

~Kamac
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Karmac, im in max student'ver 2010. Spent about 2-3hours from a cylinder. Right now ive got a few sketchs for the direction to take this. Ill update when i can since its christmas eve tomorow

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2010 15:50 Edited at: 25th Dec 2010 15:51
Kicking back since ive left the last of the cooking to family. Done work bit by bit in my free time between a well organised cooking timetable

Ditched the abs since ther were woeful and i couldnt get the right. Some symmerty errors which will be welded up when i collapse everything. Just started on the arms and ill work more on the hands, i have changed alot of the flow so its startin to look reasonable now Before i further edit into the character, ill release the base into the database so anyone else can play. Merry christmas folks. Enjoy the holidays, im bar staff tommorow >__<"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Should update here aswell

Gettting there

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 17:50 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2011 17:52
Well the mesh is done
@
1850 polys'
3560 tris'
1882 verts'

The hair is a mix between plane extrudes and solid 4 tri spikes. It came out surprisingly well, so im happy. I also deleted the hidden faces below the hair as i kept a solid plane base so it covers it

Anybody got any crit's before i move onto texturing?

Also this is probably another realese for the database unless i can get him into fpsc

Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Awesome hair!

And I love the work you have done so far! Keep it up!

Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 20:35
Looking pretty good.

Hm, perhaps the nose and mouth are a little too low? Also, the mesh topology doesn't really compliment the mesh's features. There are no complete loops around any of the features except the eyes, and only one around each. I think a bit more studying would help.

Take a look at this:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/face%20topology/Monkey_Knife_Fight/EdgeLoop3.jpg

While I think this head is probably more high-poly than you're going for, it's still very applicable to low-poly modeling. Notice how the modeler added in loops around what would become the mesh features very early, and then began refining each feature with smaller loops inside the larger primary loops, such as a large loop around the nose and mouth, and then a smaller loop around the nose, and a smaller loop around the mouth. With your mesh, I get the impression that it started from a subdivided cube into which you cut the features, as opposed to planning out the topology first, and then making the necessary extrusions very early on to support the desired features. Anyhoo, all this goes to say that I think the face could use reworking.

Also, that strange triangle-quad-triangle chain in the armpit on the front view seems a bit extra. I'd merge the opposite vertices of the quad to get rid of that whole thing. Also also, there are two adjacent triangles on the coat tails that could really just become a quad with no change to the topology.

Hope I've at least been of some help.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 22:41 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2011 22:45
;D thanks for the advice Kira but i got a crit on poly count earlier so decided to actually optimise the mesh more

Pretty sure these are the last tweaks now ;D.
1543 polies
2943 tris
1592 verts

FrozenCore#6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 19:47
Pretty Cool
Nice work ... Gonna texture? o,o

My Goals:

-Showing people close to me what it means to fulfill a dream
PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 01:38
cool... kind of reminds me of Skies of Arcadia a bit. (The ragged piratish type costume anyway. Keep up the good work.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks guys! I always get a texture done on my work

Ive altered the mesh for animation, /support loops and alike/ so i just need to uvmap it now and its a go. Might use kinect motion capture for him too when i get it working properly.

Scope
Years of Service
User Offline
Excellent work.Like your style.
Scope.
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2011 20:25 Edited at: 30th Jan 2011 20:27
Rawr usual tom dickery going on my end

Thanks scope' better late than never

Got a five month 2d scroller to make in uni so 2 weeks worth of work dumping.

Hour speed model'

Days worth on animation' by that we made him moondance and pop a mj' along with other less appropreate things. This is about 40oddmin hack and slashing.

30-odd mins on the graphics, 50mins on the coding initialisation, broadcasts and arrays to start the game.

Unfourtunatly, since its a first year class, i can't use anything remotely powerful, so im ashamed to say im using Scratch game creation thing. So everything is auto restricted to 460x380 or something Working on a scrolling system so give me a bigger area to work on

To save super screen stretch, ive placed Level 1 in the Dl
''Two days of segmentaion and redrawing. This shot is unpopulated by the entities used in scriped events.

Also, im using a similar style to that of limbo because i had the pleasure to play it just before blocking out the designs.

The character in the above posts is used in it ofc Nope i still havent bothered myself to texture him. Ill get to it eventually

back to doing... err whatever it was i was doing before

Attachments

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jan 2011 02:11
Wow... um... i like the lowpoy monster at the top As far as the animation goes... uhh... yeah... I hope its okay to make a suggestion?? what i do when i make a walk cycle is:
I start with the initial pose usually for me its one legg all the way to the back ready to be picked up for the next step... and the other all the way forward ending a step. I create this frame and duplicate it at +2 frame past the end of the animation... then I go to the dead center of the animation and create a mirror animation the foot that was at the back should now be the one in the front and the front should be at the back. What i do in blender acutually is go to the first frame and at the side view i put the cursor down on the base of the foot bone so that i can match them up correctly... (Or if your really smart you could just copy the pose and paste mirrored pose in the center... lol) Then from there you go to the 1/4 mark of the and create the next pose. Which is usually: both leggs centered under the body, body up from its initial position (because the bulk of the legg is underneath the body now.). The legg that was at the front should now be centered under the body and on the ground... the legg that was at the back should be under the body and lifted into the air kind of tucked up... like hes picking his leg up for a step. Copy this pose and mirror it 3/4 into the animation. Now... the last part of the animation is still blank...(remember you put the copy of the first pose +2 past the end?? Go to the end and insert a keyframe at the end without changing anything. This will give you a smooth trasition when the animation cycles to the beginning. Now that you have a base to work off of go back and fill in any erroneous parts were the feet might go into the ground... usually at 1/8 intervals... and also go and give the character some flare to their walk: (head bobing a little... arms working, tail swinging side to side.... jaw open and close that kind of thing.) anyway if your unclear about what im talking about...

Attachments

FrozenCore#6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2011 17:59
I like that low poly Monster
animation needs more work as PB said
and goodluck with the texture of

[url]frozproductions.ucoz.com[/url]
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks PB for the Crit! been tossing about with it and smoothing it off.Ill update when im happy with him. For now though, i thought id post up some proper 3d work

This is my entry to the tgc comp'

Its exactly what it looks like a big disproportionate mecha.
Im calling him Frankford for a laugh. Expect huge lofty over bearing arms. Also expect a mini factory Putting him arm in place. Toodles for now, i need to do... stuff.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2011 21:32
i like it. Im a sucker for good mech stuff though. Is there more to come or is the 'crotch' the entire body??

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Entire Frankford mecha of course!

Ill be working more on this brute tommorow

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2011 02:20
I think i get it now... i hadnt yet read the compo thread so i was a bit lost as to the theme... great job!

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2011 15:59
Awesome! Is it gunna be a mech or something?

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Indeed CG.

Im making a two layer chest piece now but it being annoying in the way im linking them Its going to have a exoskelton running up its back too, starting at the groin area and connecting the three segments up.

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
A little chunkier now so i can balance out the upper torso. Its getting there eh? Ive got the designs set now so im making alot more progress. Should finish by the deadline.

PrimalBeans
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2011 22:48
golly! gosh.. thats really cool!

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Closer.

Profile;

Update;

lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Uni work and a breakup meant i fell stupidly behind with my work. Sorry guys, i didnt have a chance to finish for the compettion. Work dump anyway;

What i doodled;

Where the mech is up to;

Finally fixed the rendering and ditched the shoody artifacts and crap. Seems some drivers where acting up on me causing something to misshape, why its blurry and sharp in places. Fixed now though

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 07:16:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 07:16:54