Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / FREE Animated Texture Shader, Models, and Tutorial from bond1

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 18:08
ive only ever edited already made shaders, i was learning but gave up about a year ago haha
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 18:23
Quote: "Conjured, awesome! I've been so caught up with doing everything in the shader that it didn't occur to me to animate the model itself to show/hide the screen. Great work!"

Thanks
I'm finished my homework, so I am going to start animating the new tv, then I'll do the old one later when I get a chance. (hobby farms = chores)

With your permission, I will post the finished TV here for download.
I'll put my script up here too and set up the FPE for it, so it will be a drop and use kinda thing.

Laters

Conjured Entertainment

WARNING: Intense Madness
D0MINIK
Years of Service
User Offline
God dammit^^ ... this shader is fantastic, man!!

Thanks a lot for the release!

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 18:50 Edited at: 16th May 2010 18:51
As far as writing shaders, I use Dark Shader for all my shader editing. Once you learn the basic concepts of HLSL, you can adapt some basic concepts and code snippets to create your own ideas and make something completely new.

I have an entire folder library of HLSL code snippets that I've collected over the past 18 months. Some from the CG Tutorial, some from the ShaderX series of books, some from whitepaper presentations on the ATI/Nvidia websites, and some from the 3ds max plugin ShaderFX.

Rarely will you have to reinvent the wheel. Many of these rendering algorithms were devised in the 1970's and 1980's by 3D pioneers like James Blinn. And today, graphics hardware technology has advanced to the point where they these algorithms can be used in real time. Which is why games look so good today.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 19:23
Thanks!

Maybe I should try to learn the basics, just to see where it gets

veer
Years of Service
User Offline
can we used it in character...(i think we can)

than we can have character with glowing eyes in dark room

or imaging with proper editing an heart pumping can been seen
or hair is on fire

or simply color changing character or face change to completely new face

this is making me sick( just by thinking of it)
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 20:35
Here is the TV...

Let me know if you want me to post this here Bond, or if you want me to make more changes first.
I didn't alter your texture any for this.
I could have put another instance of the blank screen in a spot like the bottom, and then I could have used the proper graphic.
For now, I just used a dark spot on another part of the set.
I am using the enter key to toggle on and off when the player is within the T.V.'s zone.
Let me know if you guys want a "Hit Enter To Use" prompt for the user and I'll add another script.

Let me know if it is okay to post it here Bond, or if you'd rather do your own animations that's cool, just let me know.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 20:36 Edited at: 16th May 2010 20:38
Not a problem Conjured!

Quote: "can we used it in character...(i think we can)"

Hehe, that was going to be my "secret" for my next character pack - scifi characters with animated, fading and glowing lights, things like that.

I don't recommend using this shader on characters. There is no vertex skinning code in this shader, so it will slow down your games because the character's animation will be performed on the CPU rather than the graphics card.

veer
Years of Service
User Offline
my curiosity

does the same technique was used for the water effect in the metro theater pack
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "does the same technique was used for the water effect in the metro theater pack"

It's similar. The water ripples on the floor used the same technique, but with the addition of normal mapping and cubemap reflection mapping.

The falling water was done with a SCROLLING shader, with normal/cubemap reflections.

veer
Years of Service
User Offline
bit confusing

but something like blood leaking from the wall
or bathtub with blood
...can be achieve
Scope
Years of Service
User Offline
Bond1 thanks for all your information on shaders.
Scope.
Decneo
Years of Service
User Offline
i think it will be cool like radio or music player volume, thank you Bond1.

Models and Model packs for your game at my site.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2010 22:03 Edited at: 16th May 2010 22:30
Quote: "but something like blood leaking from the wall"

Mwuhahahahaha

Quote: "Not a problem Conjured!"

Here it is then...
...wax on , wax off... ...I mean TV on , TV off!

Somebody try it out, and let me know if it is working. (I have been known to zip the wrong files)
Of course, you will need Bond's zip to already be extracted, because it uses his shader and stand-by textures.

It could have that screen textured properly by altering the texture, but this gives you the idea.
I included a second script that prompts the player "Hit Enter to Use" when the set is off.
If it is on then they should already know which key to use.

Quote: "you have inspired me to take up Shading for all of my models haha"

Me too, and I bet the community is going to see a lot of models set up for Bond's shaders. (huge benefit for everyone)

This is one small step for Bond; one giant leap for FPSC.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

veer
Years of Service
User Offline
working very well.....
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
hey Conjured, can you shot me an email? i really need to talk to you about a script exampl

GD:Good day

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2010 01:57
Quote: "hey Conjured, can you shot me an email? "

email sent

Conjured Entertainment

DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Replied

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2010 02:51
Thanks bond1!

Your whole work with shaders really takes FPSC to the next level

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2010 16:55
@bond1

Your shader skills are at least as good as your modelling / animation skills now and combined is just incredible.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, stay tuned for the normal mapping segment shader with free segment! I'll try and get the tutorial uploaded before I head back to work tomorrow. It'll be a much shorter tutorial, but I still need to explain a few things on the shader.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 01:19 Edited at: 18th May 2010 03:16
Quote: "stay tuned for the normal mapping segment shader with free segment!"

Great news Bond, and Thanks in advance! (we have plenty to do whilst we wait)

Here is the stock sci-fi terminal d with a screen shader alteration.
I need to make the texture bigger though, because reducing the images made them fuzzy.
It really brings it to life and it will look good though in the end ...

EDIT
I replaced the fuzzy one with a clearer one, but I have a pixel shift going on.
So, I need to fix it again... lol

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 04:40 Edited at: 18th May 2010 04:57
Come on man, I know Afrokid and I are not the only ones playing with this thing.
So, post your screenshots or videos people!

I had better luck energizing Equipment A than I did changing the monitors on Terminal D...

Anyway, the stock media is reborn thanks to this shader. (I know, I got too excited..I'll go away now )

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

veer
Years of Service
User Offline
can you make script were the monitor is turn off automatically after displaying an massage (like hl2)
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 14:48 Edited at: 18th May 2010 15:48
Quote: "[edit2] also why when i make my own one for the tv, the tv stays black and doesnt show my animation?
pic of what i mean is attached "

tv_new_fire_i.tga

It probably is not neccessary, but I would make that a capital I, since all the stock media and Bond's are done that way. (just for asthetics when file browsing)

Also, I hope you have the following files to go along with it...

tv_new_fire_D.tga
tv_new_fire_D2.tga

...because the _I suffix is added to the texture's filename for the shader.
So, if you are trying to use tv_new_fire_i.tga sprite on a tv_new_D2.tga textured model, then it isn't going to work.

Quote: "can you make script were the monitor is turn off automatically after displaying an massage (like hl2) "

I'm not sure about how it is done in HL2, but turning it off after a message is played is possible.
Just edit the script I gave you to play the sound file when the set is turned on, and then start a timer.
When the timer is equal to the length of your sound file, then call the off animation.

EDIT
I tested your fire_I and it worked fine for me. (see attached video)

All I did was copy the .bmp, .fpe, D.dds, and the D2.dds for the New TV.
Then I renamed them for your _fire suffix so they end up like...

New TV fire.bmp
New TV fire.fpe
tv_new_fire_D.dds
tv_new_fire_D2.dds

Then I add in your

tv_new_fire_I.dds (I like DDS files)

That took care of the files, then all you have to do is edit the FPE.
I added the word fire to the desc so it matches the name of the .bmp file.
Then I edited the texture path to the new_tv_fire_D2.dds and vwhalah.

Also, from your pic...the top image has a nice skybox and grass segments, but the bottom one is bland.
That makes me wonder if you may have forgotten to turn the shaders on during that test.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2010 14:51
Haha, SAW FTW .

I assume this won't work with X10 since X10 uses SM4, I might try this if I have time when I get back from my exam today.

-SSG

--=. ,=--
"Death is a surprise party. Unless, of course...you're already dead on the inside." - John Kramer, SAW III
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 01:37 Edited at: 19th May 2010 01:38
Hey Bond, is it ok to post videos here of what I am doing with this, or would you rather I make my own thread?
It seems that I am posting here a lot and didn't want you think think I am hi-jacking the thread or hog all the fun.
I'm just excited about this and want to make some stuff.

Here is a Pinball Machine that I made today, of course 80 to 90 percent of the texture is not original.
I used TGC newsletter covers for the images to make a TGC Pinball Machine...

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

teamhalo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 02:58
Is there a way to get this shader working on weapons? Is it possible to have a shader like this be interactive with weapons if this is possible with what you mentioned about update 1.17? EAI could go crazy!

I am designing a cell phone for first person and if I could set up an interactive menu using a shader like this that would be really cool!

Great work!

Come Listen to my free music!
NEW EMAIL: tony.gaglio@yahoo.com
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey Bond, is it ok to post videos here of what I am doing with this, or would you rather I make my own thread?"

By all means, post away! I wish more people would do the same! That way the thread stays more visible so more people can get it. Because once it drops from the main page, it's forgotten...

Love the pinball machine, would be cool to see an entire gameroom with blinking lights!

Quote: "Is there a way to get this shader working on weapons?"

I don't recommend this shader for weapons, for the same reason as characters. No skinning code in this shader. But it will be in my next model pack.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 14:23
Quote: "Thanks, stay tuned for the normal mapping segment shader with free segment! I'll try and get the tutorial uploaded before I head back to work tomorrow. It'll be a much shorter tutorial, but I still need to explain a few things on the shader."

Please warn TGC before you post this thread. I think the amount of network traffic is going to kill their servers.

It would be great to have a look at the tutorial so we can understand how to use the shader properly.

Thankyou

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 19:11 Edited at: 19th May 2010 19:22
Quote: "stay tuned for the normal mapping segment shader with free segment!"

Hey bond, I was just wondering if this new normal mapping shader will also work on static entities, and if it retains lightmapping data? Or will there need to be a seperate shader to work with entities, and if so, will it come with your next model pack, or can we get it now (free or otherwise)? So far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong!), the normal map shaders from the Metro Theater pack will only work on dynamic entities and do not retain lightmapping data.

Another question I had is about the spec shader from the Metro Theater pack. Unless my ambience is set to 0, any static entity with the spec shader applied will become brightly illuminated, and lose it's lightmapping detail (with the ambience as low as 5 or 10 this becomes noticable). Is there a fix for this, is it a bug, or am I just not using the right shader? I can work with 0 ambience if there isn't any workaround for this, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Lastly (sorry for all of the questions), is there any simple way to modify this animated texture shader to work on static entites, or would it pretty much require rewriting the entire shader? I can't stand the way dynamic entities stand out from static objects in the universe (no lightmapping), and was just wondering if there was anyway to fix that problem, so my televisions would blend in with the rest of the room. Again, if there's nothing that can be done, it's not a problem. Beggers can't be choosers! I commend all of the shader work you've been doing for the community in these recent months!

EDIT: I suppose I could just model the television as a seperate mesh from the screen, and then set the screen as dynamic and run the shader on that!

Kravenwolf

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 20:13 Edited at: 20th May 2010 01:35
Quote: " Please warn TGC before you post this thread. I think the amount of network traffic is going to kill their servers. "

Yeah, I would put my videos up on YouTube, but I have other content on that account that is not family friendly.
So, that forces me to post my FPSC stuff here, since I can't link to it here because of the rules for family oriented content.

Quote: " By all means, post away! I wish more people would do the same! That way the thread stays more visible so more people can get it. Because once it drops from the main page, it's forgotten... "

An animated texture is a topic that won’t fade quickly.
This shader is hot man, and it the only thing that will cool it down is your release of another hot one.
That one you mentioned for the water in Metro that uses a combination of all sounds like the do all shader. (bump, illumination, and reflection in a sprite!?!?)
Holy hurricanes Batman, that shader will take the community by storm.
I would love to see that one available for edit when the real time changes scripting feature comes out.

Quote: "Love the pinball machine, would be cool to see an entire gameroom with blinking lights!"

Thanks
That was just a quick and dirty one to get something up fast. (I have a lot of testing to do)
I need to redo the UV map for a better layout (universal) so I can use the same model for all kinds of themes.
Then, I can have a room full for an arcade I’ll call “Pinball Alley”, which was the name of an arcade that I frequented when I was a kid.
Of course, I will need Tron, Donkey Kong, and Pac Man spoofs in there too, so it will be a lot of work.
As you know my texturing skills leave a lot to be desired, so thankfully cartoony results might be acceptable for pinball graphics.
I’ll post a new shot of that pinball machine that shows the results of animating the little display screen.
I came across an animation that Williams didn’t use for their “Dirty Harry” pinball machine that was based on one of Clint Eastwood’s characters. (most of us know who Dirty Harry is)
Anyway, the animation is of a head shot (Boom Headshot!) which was thought to be too graphic so it was cut and not used in the final production model.
I’ll edit it once more then record it and throw the results up here. (it came out well but I edited the animation to be shorter and it needs an adjustment)
I’ll have to do my own animation for a commercial release, but the headshot it perfect for FPSC pinball. LOL

The one thing I love the most about this shader is the different image sizes.
Meaning, you can have a _D2 texture that is 512x512, and yet use a _I sprite that is 2048x2048.
In my tests, they don't have to be the same size and that is great, because the model and it's texture remain unchanged. (no edit=less work)
You can use the original size for each frame in the sprite and have no loss of picture quality as compared to having to shrink the image for making the sprite the smaller size.

Anyway, I really love these and I haven't started editing the shaders yet, just the Illumination maps.

I can never thank you enough, so thanks again Bond!

Edit

BOOM! Headshot!!!

As you can see from the video, the shader works fine at any ambience level.
Now, all I have to do is create my own textures and animation, and this puppy will be ready to go.
I need to edit the shader too for maybe a 8x8 layout.
That way I can get more detail with it a bit slower.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

veer
Years of Service
User Offline
hey...you can create another YOUtube account

it would be great to see all your content in one place
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th May 2010 22:49
can we use this in dbpro?

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I tried to make a simple entity using the alpha transparency, with no luck. I did a simple 2x2 sprite, but I must be missing something simple. Bond1 I sent you an email on it.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 16:27
I made a projectorscreen with some powerpointsprites, but I cant get it to work.
If anyone want to do it and then upload it here then that would be great! I dont have the time right now.
Its not FPSC ready (I tried but they just appeared black... first time I fail in making an entity FPSC ready ) but the model should be the right scale.

The sprite is 4x2

Attachments

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 16:55
Does the whole thing appear black? I think I might know the problem (although I haven't actually used this but I have a hunch ).

-SSG

--=. ,=--
"Death is a surprise party. Unless, of course...you're already dead on the inside." - John Kramer, SAW III
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I bought darkshader last night and have been playing with it this morning waiting on the rain to pass, Cyborg I tried your model and it also appears black in game. In darkshader it looked just fine. I am having similar problem with transparency. I had it once when the whole model used it. So I sent the model to bond1, so maybe he can clear up what is happening to some of us.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 17:02 Edited at: 22nd May 2010 08:48
Cyborg Art, I've attached a video of your projector. It works great with the shader, good job! I did have to darken your projector screen in the diffuse map. Remember, the sprite gets OVERLAID on the diffuse texture, so if both are white like yours were, it gets blown out. Best to keep the sprite area on the diffuse map dark, since the sprite texture will be overlaid on top of it.

Attachments

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
And here is the new projector diffuse texture I've altered.

Attachments

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Transparency isn't supported in this version of the shader. I did give rolfy a fix to include transparency in the shader, check earlier in this thread.

SikaSina Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 17:08
Aww Bond1, stole my thunder xD. I thought it was because the screen wasn't n_I.dds but n_D2.dds . Nevermind, you nailed it before me anyway .

-SSG

--=. ,=--
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Transparency isn't supported in this version of the shader. I did give rolfy a fix to include transparency in the shader, check earlier in this thread."

I used that, but it didn't work for me that is why I sent it to you to see what I did wrong.

Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 17:59
Thanks Bond1! Looks great! But I noticed it is just playing 4 of the 8 frames

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I stopped with the alpha until I can do more and took one of Cp's scifi models and added the effect to it. I have a problem with it now. The shader does not play in game. The diffuse shows just fine but it won't play the sprite. I attached a video. I am sorry to bother you all.

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2010 21:20 Edited at: 21st May 2010 21:21
Bond, I know you said we can do whatever we want with this, and this question may have been asked already, but I just want a confirmation from you...

If I edit this shader in DarkShader so that it plays more frames with a different delay (64 frames @ 8 per second, etc)...Can I release the edited shaders with the models that I sell???

It is just that I am hooked on this shader (it is so cool), and like I said before it has inspired me to make more models.
I want to make a bunch of stuff for the TGC store that uses this animated shader set for various frame settings depending on the models' needs.
So, it would be great if I could bundle the edited shaders in the model's zip.
If you want I could sell the models and offer the shader separately for free.
Whatever you think is best works for me, and I appreciate your patience with me and my endless pestering.

Conjured Entertainment

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 02:56 Edited at: 22nd May 2010 02:58
Quote: "Thanks Bond1! Looks great! But I noticed it is just playing 4 of the 8 frames "

Egad! Right you are, there was an error in the shader when using non-power of 2 sprites! This has been fixed - redownload from the first post for the corrected template. Your projector works fine now, and plays all frames.

Quote: "Can I release the edited shaders with the models that I sell???"

I don't mind including the edited shaders with models that are released for FREE, as long as credit is given to me. But since this shader and models were given away freely in the spirit of sharing, please don't include it in models sold for profit, is the fairest terms of use I suppose.

@Starmind: Download the corrected template. If it still doesn't fix your problem, double check to make sure you textures are named correctly, and are in dds format. Use the included freebie models as an example of correct file naming, etc.

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 03:42
@bond1, did you happen to catch my novelette of questions at the top of the page?

Kravenwolf

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Lol Here is the model and its textures, along with the template I made for it. It now plays ingame, but it stays behind the diffuse. Let me know what I did wrong.

Attachments

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 09:13 Edited at: 22nd May 2010 09:14
Starmind, I've attached new D and I textures. These work just fine for me.

Kravenwolf, I'll get to each question you have shortly. Just been busy with work this week.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 02:26:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 02:26:15