Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / FREE Animated Texture Shader, Models, and Tutorial from bond1

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 21:21 Edited at: 22nd May 2010 21:50
Quote: "I don't mind including the edited shaders with models that are released for FREE, as long as credit is given to me. But since this shader and models were given away freely in the spirit of sharing, please don't include it in models sold for profit"

Okay, thanks.
I'll release a free model for each variation of the shader that I make.

I guess I will try to develop as many models as I can that can utilize the shaders that you gave out.
That way they might already have them, and if not, then they can go get your download to get them all.

Here is a peek at a Neon Open Sign that uses the 4x4x2fps shader that you gave us....
It still needs a little adjustment, because it looks as if I made the red letters too dark in the difuse, but that is an easy fix.

Lots more coming soon!

Post Script
I ran into that black texture error that someone mentioned earlier. (it was white in the editor and solid black in the test build)
It turns out that I had forgotten to add the _D2 suffix to the file name in the FPE.
So, if your model turns out solid black then double check those file names and make sure you didn't make a typo.

Conjured Entertainment

WARNING: Intense Madness

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2010 02:50 Edited at: 23rd May 2010 02:58
Quote: "Hey bond, I was just wondering if this new normal mapping shader will also work on static entities, and if it retains lightmapping data?"

Yes, it will work on static entities, although the texture requirements are a little bit different, and must be followed EXACTLY. I'll explain when it's released.

Quote: "Another question I had is about the spec shader from the Metro Theater pack. Unless my ambience is set to 0, any static entity with the spec shader applied will become brightly illuminated"

I haven't noticed this with the included showcase level, and I have ambience set around 10. Could you send me an example? But I do usually keep ambience low anyway, and rely on using lights to light my level. For me, any ambient light above 20 and things start looking washed out and flat. In fact the shaders primarily use the lightmap and static light data pulled from FPSC to calculate lighting. Ambient value is added in lastly.

Quote: "Lastly (sorry for all of the questions), is there any simple way to modify this animated texture shader to work on static entites, or would it pretty much require rewriting the entire shader? I can't stand the way dynamic entities stand out from static objects in the universe"

I could make a static version, yes. But the texture rules are much more strict. In my FPSC clip in the tutorial, I don't think the TV's stand out compared to the static entities. They only stand out in "transition" areas of the lightmap. As long as they are placed in discrete "lit" and "unlit" areas of the level, they blend in just fine. But yes I know having the lightmapping is a nice plus....but in many AAA games I'm really surprised that many items have no lightmapping at all!

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks bond1, but what did I do wrong.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2010 06:43 Edited at: 23rd May 2010 07:43
Quote: "One more idea: How cool would it be to have room full of arcade games? A fully realised, 1980's era arcade! Complete with flashing lights and animated monitors."

It would be very cool.

I'm working on it...

Quote: "I don't recommend using this shader on characters. There is no vertex skinning code in this shader, so it will slow down your games because the character's animation will be performed on the CPU rather than the graphics card."

Hey Bond, I had an idea of using separate meshes for these cabinets (after I made this one), so the models could have a destroy animation since they are dynamic anyway.
That way the pieces could like fall all over the place if each had it's own bone.

I know you said not to use these on characters because of the animations being done by the processor instead of the graphics card.
But, wouldn't it be alright to have a destroy animation on these consoles, since it will not be playing all the time, just once?
I mean, the characters have about 2500 frames of animation where these will have say 100 or less.
As long as my idle is simple (which it will be) then it should be alright, right? (or do you not recommend it?)
I can do without a custom destroy; it was just a thought since they are dynamic, but I don't want to go to the trouble if it is just going to cause problems.
So, I am asking the expert before I spend hours animating my models only to burn up my processor.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

moncho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2010 12:35
possibilitys are endless!!!
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "possibilitys are endless!!!"

Yes! Thought of a few more ideas on my way to work today, thinking about Left 4 Dead:

-animated car headlights and tailights blinking on and off
-animated police car siren lights
-flickering streetlamps

Did you guys see Conjured's animated neon sign? It's awesome!

Conjured, using the shader on an occasional animated model would be fine I think. But as a general rule it shouldn't be used on characters or weapons with bones - it would be a MASSIVE strain on the CPU.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2010 00:01 Edited at: 25th May 2010 01:02
Quote: "possibilitys are endless!!!"

Its only limitation is our imagination.

Quote: "Did you guys see Conjured's animated neon sign? It's awesome!"

LOL Thanks Bond (even though I suspect that was sarcasm)
That sign was about as simple as I could get.

I guess I will have to animate that arcade cabinet before I get a comment on that, and I'll have that done soon.
I worked on the texture today, so all I have left is the animation...

Edit
Here is a quick peek at what this thing looks like in game...
The cabinet uses a 512x512 diffuse and a 4096x4096 sprite that is 8x8 at 8 frames per second.
Each frame of the sprite is the same size as the diffuse for clarity, so you can read the names in the high scores if you walk up to it.

This shader is too much fun!

Laters

2nd Edit
lol
Since I had no comment on the custom arcade cabinet, I decided to go ahead and make a retro looking one. (just kidding, I was going to make it anyway)
Now I have a one player and a two player cabinet, and they are both set up for the same texture layout as to make each arade game texture compatible with both cabinets.
That is the logical excuse for the real reason that I was too lazy to do a separate animation for the second cabinet.
Anyway, the same sprite and texture can be used on either machine with these UV layouts.
Now, I can work on retextures and fill the game room.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th May 2010 05:24 Edited at: 26th May 2010 01:52
Before you yell at me for double posting; please note that both posts have an attachment.

Here is the next arcade game using Bond1's new shader.
I need to alter the animation though, so the highscores are not in synch, because it is obvious that I cheated on the animations.
Anyway, I think the head shot is a nice touch. (what do you guys think?)

I am anxious to see what others are coming up with.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2010 01:58 Edited at: 26th May 2010 20:58
Well, I am forced to triple post before I run off to play with Bond's new Segment Normal Map Shader.

Here is the third installment of the Arcade Games...

I modified Bond's Chainsaw Brute Boss' texture to hide the chainsaw so that I could get the head roll effect with a sword.
I like this animation better than the headshot in the last one.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th May 2010 17:34
How do you get from the diffuse texture to the grid texture and ensure the sprite is positioned perfectly on the screen of the object?

I'm having trouble figuring this part out

Thanks

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 00:04 Edited at: 29th May 2010 05:02
I'm not sure about the others, but here's how I do it...

1) Make a _I template from the diffuse. (black out everything except the parts you want lit up)

2) Then I "select all" then I copy it.

3) Then I create a new image file for the right size. (512x512 diffuse would need a 2048x2048 for a 4x4 grid)

4) Then I paste that _I template that I made of the diffuse 4 times for the first row.

5) Then I copy that row and paste it 3 more times to fill the 16 screen grid.

I usually have to zoom in to get full control and place it exactly.
That way you can move it one pixel at a time if neccessary to get it just right.
Just zoom into one of the corners to get it exact.

Once you have your template, then it is just a matter of pasting in your animation images.
I used a one pixel wide border for the screen on my first template.
That way my grid of 16 has all the screens laid out for easy image placement for the animation.
You can just leave your screen image for the marker, but I found that blacking it out and using a one pixel border was easier to see.
It is real easy to see if you have one side covered and need to slide it over, whereas using the image can sometimes hide the fact that you are one pixel off.

I used most of the texture for my screen as you can see from the _D2 atached as a JPG for the forum... (it is a dds in use)

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 05:08
I used an 8x8 for the arcade so the 512x512 needed a 4096x4096 for its animation.

You can see the border for the images, and knowing the exact size in pixels for the screen (491x316 in this case) made cropping the animation images easy.

Sorry about the file size, but this is 64 mb as a dds, so be glad its a jpg here...

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "How do you get from the diffuse texture to the grid texture and ensure the sprite is positioned perfectly on the screen of the object?"

Quote: "I usually have to zoom in to get full control and place it exactly.
That way you can move it one pixel at a time if neccessary to get it just right.
Just zoom into one of the corners to get it exact."

Doesn't your graphics prog have snap to grid? Would have thought that would be standard even in the free ones
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 05:38 Edited at: 29th May 2010 05:58
Quote: "Doesn't your graphics prog have snap to grid?"

Uhm, not sure about the snap, but yeah it has a grid, but I never use it. lol (you have to zoom in for it to show up anyway)
I like to zoom in. Zooms are good mmmkay?

Quote: "Would have thought that would be standard even in the free ones"

That's what you get for thinking
Just kidding, but I guess it will be standard when someone decides to contribute that to the open source project.

With a white canvas and a template that has a black background it is pretty easy to see when you have them placed right even without a grid.
Zooming in just gives you more control when positioning a selected area.

Ayway, that's how I do it... use a border and place it manually.

Conjured Entertainment

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 06:12 Edited at: 29th May 2010 11:07
Just for the sake of it, a quick photoshop tut on my own method for these, though I am pretty sure someone else could think up a better/quicker way, its just my own method.

After creating your anim frames.
Create a new document 4096x4096 white background.
View menu, 'show grid'.
Edit, preferences, 'guides and grid', gridline every 512 pixels, subdivisions 1.
View menu, snap to, 'grid'.

Open first 512x512 image you want to place.
Actions, create new action, call it what you like.
With 512x512 selected:
Select all, copy,
select the 4096x4096,paste.
Close first sprite image.
Stop action recorder.
(the reason I use action recorder is I may create sprite images at 1024x1024 then reduce scale to improve appearance also might do many other things with filters and the like, the above is a short example and does save a ton of time if a lot of functions are used on each image before placing in your final sprite grid)

Select move tool and drag the pasted image to the first 512x512 grid and it will snap into place.

Open second sprite image, press play button on action recorder, drag second pasted image to next 512x512 grid space.
Rinse and repeat till all your images are done, flatten image, save as.

If you want to create a sprite that sits on a texture in the way bond has done you can create the individual frames using a template as stated but as you may not be placing exactly on a grid line you can create guides and snap to guide instead, after creating all your individual anim frames this way you can then use the above method to place them into your finished 4096x4096 sprite texture.
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 12:58 Edited at: 29th May 2010 13:21
Thanks Conjured and Rolfy. Your advice has really helped me.

I've created my 1st custom arcade machine. Its only using 9 frames of animation at the moment but I'm looking forward to applying this to a bunch of media now I understand how to set everything up.

Edit - Screenshot of the arcade in game attached.

Attachments

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 14:36
Attached a small video. Next I'm going to use a 4096 x 4096 texture so I can include a lot more animations and make it smoother.

Attachments

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 19:24
@ Nomad Soul

Look Great!!! But it look a bit laggy in the video like choppy. Well the animated texture. But still looks great!

- Gorlock
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 19:33 Edited at: 29th May 2010 19:36
Quote: "Thanks Conjured and Rolfy. Your advice has really helped me."

I am glad we could help.
There is more than one way to skin a cat, so it all comes down to whatever method works best for you.

Quote: "I've created my 1st custom arcade machine."

Looks great!
Is that coin slot sideways?

Quote: "Next I'm going to use a 4096 x 4096 texture so I can include a lot more animations and make it smoother."

Yeah, that's why I made mine 8x8 with 8 frames per second.
I wanted it a bit smoother, but I still wanted something that would play more than just a few seconds.
I would have rather had 16 frames per second, but 8 worked okay for what I wanted to do and 4 seconds wasn't enough.
I could have made my frames smaller but I didn't want to lose any picture quality on the screen.
That is why I made my screen like 60% of my texture too, for picture clarity.

The first ones might look a little choppy (I have a jitter in my high score screen on my first one), but we'll get better as we go.

I look forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with.

Conjured Entertainment

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th May 2010 23:00
Thanks Gorlocks. Hopefully I'll be able to improve things on the next one.

Quote: "Looks great! Is that coin slot sideways?"

Thanks Conjured. I don't think so. I'm going to try making the buttons on the cabinet blink on the next attempt as yours look so cool.

Nbt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2010 19:40
I wonder how big a texture file would be needed play "To kill a Mockingbird" in game

My "Bond1 Goodies" folder is gonna need it's own HDD soon at this rate. I love your tutorials also, as you have a very clear way with words that even a complete twat like myself can grasp.

I dub thee "SIR BOND1" and have already begun renaming my children after you. My daughter Bonderina is especially chuffed ^_^

Your signature has been erased by a mod. The sig needs to be 600 width maximum (x 120 height) for all of it.
GFX_0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey BOND1 can you help me with this?
[img] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]
If you can, then animate it. Walking, Shooting, or Dying or Anything yo want. And help me making texture separated to model.
Email me if your finished...

DOWNLOAD ATTACHED!!!

..::SURVIVE::..
Survive the Night of Assasin.

Attachments

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys, sorry I've been absent from this thread a bit. I'm glad to see so many are finding this shader useful, great stuff here!

It goes to show how a relatively "simple" effect can do wonders to make your level more immersive. Bioshock uses this effect a lot for flashing neon signs, etc.

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 10:24
Umm for some reason the shader is not working and the model will not rotate... it will only face 1 direction.

- Gorlock
Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 20:31
sorry for the double post but I still can not get it to work. The TV's are Dynamic and they have the shader. I also put (is immobile) on and it doesn't work. I tried it without (is immobile) and it still doesnt work. I tried reputting the same shader and it didnt work. Can somebody please help me?

- Gorlock
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Turn shader effects on in preferences.

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 21:59 Edited at: 9th Jun 2010 22:02
Where would preferences be located?

Would it be...

- Gorlock
Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 22:05 Edited at: 9th Jun 2010 22:07
File > Preferences.

Kravenwolf

Crazy Acorn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jun 2010 22:19 Edited at: 9th Jun 2010 22:27
Thank you so much it worked!

- Gorlock
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2010 23:10 Edited at: 19th Jun 2010 23:14
Here is my latest addition to the arcade, but I still need to finish the animation for the sprite.... (see attached)

I'm working on the scripting for this one to make it an actual minigame in FPSC.
So, the player will be able to walk up > insert coin > play video poker.
I don't mean a cutscene or prescripted hands either.
I am talking about a real game of video poker with random dealt cards and the player have the ability to draw more cards, with payouts depending on the hand's outcome.
It may take awhile to script in the Stock FPI though, but I think it's doable.

Conjured Entertainment

Attachments

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 02:48 Edited at: 20th Jun 2010 02:49
That's really inventive, Conjured. Love it. Great for an in-game "minigame".

I have a soft spot for the arcades of my youth. What got me hooked on 3D modelling in the first place was making arcade cabinets for MAME at 3D Arcade: http://mameworld.info/3darcade/

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 05:13 Edited at: 20th Jun 2010 06:00
Quote: "That's really inventive, Conjured. Love it. Great for an in-game "minigame"."

Yeah, but it is a bit tricky to script in the stock engine since you can't do a direct comparison of two variables.
Just dealing the cards is a chore, so you can just imagine the scriptS needed for determining the hand.

Quote: "What got me hooked on 3D modelling in the first place was making arcade cabinets for MAME at 3D Arcade:"

Yeah MAME is cool.

I bet this one looks familiar...

...it is one of my favorites, because it was the first with a split screen that let people explore different areas instead of having to stay on the same screen together.

Quote: "Xenophobe Rev.1
by Bond1 (2005.09.12)"

Looks like you made that one right before jumping into FPSC.
Good Times!

Here is another one of my favorites from the good old days...

...I remember that spin wheel for the 360 degree rotation for the ship.
I never had a problem setting the high score on that one.
I used the overhead radar mostly while others used the first person perspective from the cockpit.
It was easier to evade large groups of enemy ships using the corners of the radar screen, because of their homing logic.
Then I could single them out and pick them off one by one or in small groups, no matter how many there were.
Yep, they would crowd around to watch me play this one...ah the good old days.

You have quite a number or arcade cabinets made already.
I look forward to seeing these with your new shader applied.

Conjured Entertainment

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 06:18 Edited at: 20th Jun 2010 06:23
The Macromedia Shockwave 3D engine was way ahead of it's time, unfortunately it never really caught on in a big way. Flash became huge, and Shockwave fell by the wayside.

I made a bunch of arcade cabinets, and eventually I started looking for another artist-friendly engine that provided more interactivity. That's when I found FPSC.

defiler
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2010 06:27
I cant want to try out your shaders, i recently put in a order for Dark Shader :3

Limitless Box studios current project: Lost Contact
Pirate Myke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2010 08:40
What a wonderful addition to the FPSC arsonal. Thanks for the download. Your work is inspiring. Worked the first time and on my gforce 6200 even. great stuff.
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Bond would it be possible for this to have a normal map and/or even transparency? I tried to make one and failed. I have dark shader and I have been tinkering with it, but I seem to be missing a concept. I have attached my script as it seems you have alot of emails to get to.
Also I don't want to load you down, so if someone else can make this happen, that would be great.
I am wanting to use this shader for the Beyond Life remake. I have the test level looking good, but this shader seems to stick out like a sore thumb.
Thanks for your time.

Attachments

Zwarte Piet
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank You Mr Bond1 this is just what I needed to finish a model me and my dad started.

Bond1 = KING of Cool.

"I would rather make a bad model, instead of pirate a great one" MY DAD
Mr Game
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2010 15:27
One simply question:

If there is a way not to loop the shader by a script?

thanx
Mr Game

Insomnia is coming...
Baconhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Dang...I wish i knew how to make animated textures.
Conjured you doing some fly work
biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2010 17:16
Bond1,

the download link doesn't work anymore. also the site won't work either.
can you please send it on email to me?

email: dennis@tbhproductions.com

regards,

[href]http://tbhproductions.com[/href]
thatprsn
Years of Service
User Offline
very useful thanks
Armageddon Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 06:23
i got a forbidden server error when i tried todownload this Bond

just wanted to let ya know!

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "the download link doesn't work anymore. also the site won't work either."

Site's gone for now. I will be looking for a cheaper host sometime soon and get this stuff back up.

biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 11:07
try hostso it's very cheap - $0.66 per month unlimited bandwith, and 200GB space

AbdulAhad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 20:50
Added temporary download here

Abdul Ahad

Attachments

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2010 20:52 Edited at: 26th Oct 2010 21:02
Quote: "Site's gone for now. I will be looking for a cheaper host sometime soon and get this stuff back up."

Godaddy has cheap hosting Bond.
They have unlimited for less than $15 a month, so it doesn't matter how big the download is or how many people download it.
They are currently running a sale, so if you prepay for the year you get a discount making it less than $8 a month.

Check their hosting plans out here.

The ULTIMATE is what I'm talking about...

Quote: "
Unlimited Space+ & Bandwidth!
1000 Email Accounts
Unlimited MySQL Databases
"

Those databases could come in handy if you want to get crazy with the website's interactivity or anything.

Conjured Entertainment

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
I just need something basic, but the main thing that concerns me is download speed and uptime. That's why I was using a relatively pricey semi-dedicated hosting plan previously.

I'll be hosting some fairly large files, and I don't want download speeds of 50kb/sec. I hear some of these budget hosting plans cram as many users as possible on a server so bandwidth suffers. I'd like to stay around $15 a month if that's possible for good hosting.

biohazardNL
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2010 14:01
Quote: "I just need something basic, but the main thing that concerns me is download speed and uptime. That's why I was using a relatively pricey semi-dedicated hosting plan previously.

I'll be hosting some fairly large files, and I don't want download speeds of 50kb/sec. I hear some of these budget hosting plans cram as many users as possible on a server so bandwidth suffers. I'd like to stay around $15 a month if that's possible for good hosting."

at hostso. for ultimate package: 66 a year + free domain
everyhing unlimited

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 00:16:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 00:16:37