Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / rolfy Environments and matching terrains (For sale)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 09:14 Edited at: 4th May 2013 18:59
rolfy Environments and terrains.

This pack contains five terrains and matching skyboxes to create a unique environment for your games.
The terrains consist of 400 segments (20x20 grid size) to enable perfect player and enemy collision, there are also terrain outer boundaries which extend the terrain out to fill the entire 40x40 grid map, the outer rims have perfect player collision only. I have pre-built these so you can simply drop them into your map using the prefabs.

The center segments can be removed to place your buildings etc so you wont get terrain poking through your floors, it also means if you want to place some scenery below such as mines or tunnels you can easily remove segments for access. Since they have perfect enemy collision, no falling through it or getting hung up, you will find that characters can even follow waypoints and they will still use the terrain contours.

The textures for these terrains are 4096x4096 I have baked these using actual hi-res models in scene to get the perfect shadow and shapes of the ground. This does not mean they cant be lit in whatever way your scene requires it, mostly the ground textures are lightly baked just to get some form in their appearance, using the prefabs you can also rotate the entire terrain to suit the lighting direction of your skybox should you want to use something other than the matching one.

Total terrain 3200 faces.

Contains:
400 segment terrain center (20x20 grid size)
5 unique terrain outer boundaries (extends terrain to the edge of the map)
4096x4096 terrain ground textures
1024x1024 unique matching skyboxes

5 Terrain prefabs
Map files with basic lighting.

x9 0nly.
At this time these terrains do not work in x10.
I have a new method for creating the terrain meshes and will be creating a pack with all new environments and terrains which will be available for both versions of FPSC.

Price: $16.00 USD
Get it here.

I don't trip over...I do random gravity checks.
Scene Commander
Support Manager
Years of Service
User Offline
These look great and I'd say a must have. Sadly very short of cash this month, but you can expect a purchase from me in July.

Great work.
da2020
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 09:21
WOW another nice work from you good job!!!
Nilloc
Years of Service
User Offline
do they work in X10?

Who da man?!
Blind Digger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 11:09
Payement sent.
They look awesome.

Stephen
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 12:41
They looks terrific rolfy!

I have just one question:
I assume it is possible to do simple retextures like p.e. give the "space" landscape another colour tone without making the scene look odd.
But would that mean to retexture 400 single images?

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Sandante
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 12:47
I order it. cant wait to check this out. but i thought it would be released with 1.17. does that mean that the update will released soon?

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Well done, alot of hard work gone into this.
Its people like yourself that push the boundries even further.
Congrats on your release.
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
If its a single 4096x4096 map that ditctates the texture then you have no wories mate, Though i think youd have to purge your dbo and bin files. Im not sure if they actaully hold texture info. Ethier way its pretty easy.

For the price, quality and work put into these, i can say the £10 is a steal.

Great work on this, Hope you enjoy you hard earned money ^____^

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 14:01
Probably the most awesome terrain pack ever!

Thraxas
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 14:33
Have been waiting for these. You sent me an earlier version so I could get a head start on making my maps, so I know this is worth the money. Payment sent

Your signature has been [mod edited] :-p
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 15:28 Edited at: 15th Jun 2010 15:53
Thanks a lot guy's, packs despatched

I am glad you folks see how much I put into this, I appreciate that.

Thraxas: you will notice a big difference between these and the one I sent you, even redid the skyboxes to make it all tighter.

Its fairly easy to change the textures each terrain actually uses two maps, the center terrain is merely derived from the boundary texture, it was just the way I made these, originally I only intended to create the 20x20, the boundaries were an afterthought and it would have been too much to go back and re-uvwmap the 400 segments. You would simply make any changes to the 4096 texure for the terrain boundary, sfter saving this, crop it to 2048 and you have the center texture. I have been fiddling around with these and they sit pretty well with other skies from stock, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get em to look good with your own skies with a little manipulation.
No need to delete bin and dbo the texture will update with any changes you save.
If you want to change the textures and keep the originals intact simply use a batch text file changer to change the paths in all the .fps files, save em into your own folders, that way you can re-use the terrains over and over.

Quote: "but i thought it would be released with 1.17. does that mean that the update will released soon? "

I have no idea when 1.17 will be released, the terrain I intended for that release is still being worked on (mega 40x40 1600 segments) and nothing was set in concrete with that, if it looks like its still a long way off I will probably release those earlier, I got to eat

Quote: "do they work in X10?"

Haven't had them tested yet, will keep you informed.
raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 17:25
Payment Sent. These look awesome. Any chance of you posting a tutorial one how you made this so seamless. After you make your money of course.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 17:34
These look fantastic, I'll be raiding my piggy bank as soon as I get back from college!

Quote: "I have no idea when 1.17 will be released, the terrain I intended for that release is still being worked on (mega 40x40 1600 segments) and nothing was set in concrete with that, if it looks like its still a long way off I will probably release those earlier,"

Will this be a separate purchase?

Marc Steene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 17:39
Looking good I've been waiting a long time for these.

[b]FPSC MIGRATION: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=142497&b=21
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 17:53
Payment sent.

These look great Rolfy. Looking forward to using these.

- BlackFox

mindragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 18:12
These look great! I just sent my payment. As an unexpected bonus I found some nice looking zombies there as well, so I ordered them too.
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 19:31
Will buy it , you earn tha cash

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 19:39
Ordered , will come in handy

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jun 2010 21:19
Looks really great!! only I have a question, I am not understanding how these actually work, there are 400 segments we can use? meaning 400 different option to choose from? or did you mean 400 segments put together in a prefab. Which would mean that we only have 5 pieces of giant land to choose from? Sorry, I am just confused :/

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
The segments were created to avoid repetition in the way FPSC normally covers larger floor areas, using stock you will always have some areas showing the same texture and its very noticible, these terrains appear unique wheever you are. The textures and the shape of the contours on these are not repeated anywhere over the whole map area (the way real world is), its not possible to rearrange the 20x20 center segments but even if you were to reuse exactly the same terrain and exactly the same texture in more than one level this would not be noticible to the player, its not even noticible to the designer especially when you use different skybox and drop in different entity's to make up a scene. Apart from that any of the terrain boundary's will match the center segmets and changes the overall appearance of these, you can easily swap out the textures for these. If you wished you could retexture small parts of the terrains to suit your scene and this too changes things, you could even take parts of one mega texture and combine them with others, I do know how tricky it is to create an entire unique texture for an area as large as this but the texures I have provided will give you a head start.
Even if you rotate the prefabs it makes a difference to appearance, but believe me because these are so huge you wouldnt realise if same terrain was being re-used.

For example here are a couple of screenshots using these wth different skyboxes. They are actually fairly generic.

This the Misty bay terrain the fantasy skybox

This is the misty bay terrain in the stock ww2\war skybox. The stock skyboxes appear less detailed against these.

The moonrise terrain in stock skybox.
Nilloc
Years of Service
User Offline
Where did you get those trees in that first pic?

Who da man?!
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Erm... you can really notice thats a skybox

Your signature has been erased by a mod - no larger than 600 x 120 please
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 01:50 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 01:55
Do you mean the bent and twisted ones?
The trees are part of the skybox and way too high poly for FPSC, I mean to render that particular skybox without the trees to make it more usable in other scenes, this will be sent out to previous purchasers when done.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Erm... you can really notice thats a skybox"

Which pic are you referring to?
Nilloc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 02:02 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 02:02
OOHHH ok

Who da man?!
DarkFrost
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 02:03
Wow these look lovely. You may expect a purchase from me soon!

Tho, it would be cool if you had some sort of mini sample so unsure buyers could give it a test run.

[img][/img]
DarkJames
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Which pic are you referring to? "

Nilloc was asking about the first Photograph of the last pack of screenshots

Your signature has been erased by a mod - no larger than 600 x 120 please
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 02:07 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 03:06
You have to excuse my poor level design I just dropped the terrains in and took screenshots without any thoughts to tying it together, just wanted to show the stock skies in pics just above, if its the skybox itself and folks feel it could be better I will gladly re-do that one, its been a long haul and I may have been too close to these to notice any errors.
Remember that terrain was not created for that sky (texture wise) and would take a little more effort with lighting and entity placement, even texture adjustment, to fit as even I would like it.
BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 03:14 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 03:18
The terrain environment product is superb. As we stated in our e-mail to Rolfy, the detail and talent put into this is amazing. We enjoy the fact that their are a couple of choices to generate the terrain- either using a prefab or segments themselves. We would definitely recommend to others this is a good purchase. With this in your arsenal, it gives the game a great polished look and feel to it.

The following are 5 screens, taken from a demo we put together showing off the terrains. It's nothing much, but we wanted to show it off. Each level changes the terrain and skybox (using the technique of changing skybox per level). This will show others that it works perfectly in FPSC.

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5

- BlackFox

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for that Blackfox, if you use the .fpm map files found in your saved levels folder they have basic lighting which lights the terrain if ambience is low, especially useful if you want to use lighting in buildings or undergound levels for instance, these are a good starting point.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 04:52 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 04:53
Just purchased.

Didn't need to say anything; but, I reely like Dead Reel.

BlackFox
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 05:44
Quote: "Thanks for that Blackfox, if you use the .fpm map files found in your saved levels folder they have basic lighting which lights the terrain if ambience is low, especially useful if you want to use lighting in buildings or undergound levels for instance, these are a good starting point."

I never noticed the fpm files until you mentioned it. My objective was to show the rotation in a game build and i could have used your supplied fmps if I had looked.

Frame rates are excellent, characters move smooth over the terrain. You did a great job on this, and hope others find this as useful as we have.

- BlackFox

Nilloc
Years of Service
User Offline
any news about it working on X10?

Who da man?!
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 05:53 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 07:00
I had a feeling folks might have missed those lol, just wanted to make things as easy as possible for new users as much as anything else, I hope you get great use out of these BlackFox.

Quote: "Didn't need to say anything; but, I reely like Dead Reel."

Thanks for that I really need to update the site, many of the animations on there could be larger for viewing, it was created before we had wider bandwidth and far better video compression for streaming.

Not yet nilloc, I dont really see any problems with it since Lee changed things to accept the earlier x9 model packs and such (this was mostly to do with x10 directory structure)and I know x10 only likes tga in the file paths, these use dds, so I might need to look at changing all the fps's, maybe someone else who has purchased it already could take a look, I dont use x10 myself.
Kasseyus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 09:30
X10 can use .DDS texture file paths. I currently use X10 and exclusivly use DDS textures.

PC Specifications : AMD Phemon Quad Core 2.2Ghz. Windows Vista Home Premium. 2GB DDR2 RAM. Cheapest X10 Card on the Market.

TGC Store Tag : Kasseyus (need to make a graphical sig one day)
Nilloc
Years of Service
User Offline
so it works?

Who da man?!
Leaning Objects To The Side
Years of Service
User Offline
OMG...Rolfy, you did it again!! The terrain environment is Freaking Awesome!! how much is this in US dollars? keep up the Awesome work. I hope you have a great day.

-Tanya
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Will be purchasing these up next week when I'm off work and can play with them. Although I feel guilty that you're selling them so cheap. Actions or not, it had to be an absolutely INSANE amount of mind numbing work to chop those up and get them FPSC ready, on top of the work to make them in the first place.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 16:30
i even wanted to pay the double

Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 22:03
Hi Rolfy.

Boy am I having trouble with your terrain! I've tried both the Fantasy and Space map that comes with it and both have crashed my machine! What do you have for your lightmaptexsize & lightmapquality in your setup.ini?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
What error are you getting Nickydude? and when?
Have you tried putting down a prefab first so FPSC gets the chance to build all the segment bin and dbo files before using lighting?
I am not sure how my own setup ini would affect yours but anyway:
lightmaptexsize=1024
lightmapquality=70
I use these settings in both the setup and buildsetup ini's.
You should also be aware that the first time you load a map or prefab in FPSC it does take some time to load due to the amount of segments, your screen will be black for a minute or so as this happens, delete all bin and dbo files and try using the prefabs first.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 22:30
The reason I ask about your setup.ini is because it keeps crashing on the 'Waiting for threads to finish...' part and this is mostly due to lightmapping setups in the setup.ini. I'll try the prefab method and see what happens.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 22:39 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 23:10
Ah I see is it actually crashing or just hanging? it does seem to take a little longer when it reaches 'waiting for threads to finish' at 4/10 on my own machine but it always gets by it after a minute or so.
Let me know how you get on with this I wasn't aware that setup settings could be retained in map files in any way, I would have reckoned it would simply use whatever settings you had, which at worst would give you blocky shadows.
I'll try lowering my own and see how that goes.

Edit: I cleared all my bin and dbo's, changed my setup
lightmaptexsize=512
lightmapquality=20
I didnt try placing any prefabs just loaded the map file and all worked fine, of course it flew through the time taken to create the lightmaps this time. I cant seem to recreate your problem.
Nilloc
Years of Service
User Offline
any news about it working with X10 rolfy?

Who da man?!
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 22:58 Edited at: 16th Jun 2010 22:59
nilloc, I think if they use .DDS they should work, they may need a little bit of tweaking but none the less they should work We x10 users are like Ork's from DOW 40k we take anything released from x9 and re-create it into something that works with x10

Nilloc
Years of Service
User Offline
k then you got a buy from me soon as i get some money!

Who da man?!
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I will try to have some check these out in x10 for me, if they require any changes I will do that no problem for x10 users.
st give me a chance to get it together, please be patient with me on this
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2010 23:03
No problem rolfy, if you need a tester of what ever me or budokaiman would love to, but he may be a little busy with our mod, and I await updates to test the mod for release, so I have nothing else to do for right now.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2010 01:26 Edited at: 17th Jun 2010 02:45
Showing the terrains with additional entity's I have no problems with lightmapping.

Tanya: its 14.81 USD

Soviet176: Thanks for the offer buddy, got s4real looking at 'em for me.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 10:41:11
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 10:41:11