Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CloudBOX - a skybox maker you can make free skybox textures with!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 00:57
! That's awesome.

Not all of the features I'll use, but hopefully I'll get using the demo on WOR when you release it.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 15:24
Attached is another sample skybox with the 'dbo' skybox for folk to have a look at

Just make sure the jpg is in the same folder as the dbo and load the object. It is a 1x1x1 unit box so you'll probably have to scale it up and use "set object light sbox,0" as before...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 15:25 Edited at: 29th Jun 2010 15:25
Here's one of the six sides so you know what you're downloading in the previous post!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 15:29 Edited at: 29th Jun 2010 15:29
Of course you don't have to use planet images...

Attachments

Thebeely
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 16:10
You should set antialiasing on for rendering at least. It's the "MultiSampling" flag in "set display mode" function.

Looking good
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2010 18:28 Edited at: 29th Jun 2010 23:41
Thanks for the reminder @Thebeely, I've been meaning to sort that out!

EDIT: It seems that when I add multisampling DarkCLOUDS falls over so this may not be possible...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2010 00:05 Edited at: 30th Jun 2010 00:13
OK so I've uploaded a new Demo with all of the features working except lightmapping (I hope)!

Water is not as I'd like it yet and is more of a placeholder until I find a good water effect that can work with DarkCLOUDS. I've given up on Evolved's fresnel water shader as it doesn't reflect DC...

If anyone has any good water effects or ideas please let me know!!!

Link to DEMO:
https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2032484

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jun 2010 18:56 Edited at: 30th Jun 2010 18:57
Here is a quick preview of "Space Mode":

It's early days at the moment but you can add stars and star clusters at the moment. Next it's nebula painting!

Attachments

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 01:34
I have a suggestion. Along with rendering out your skybox/sphere, would you think it's possible to render out a high resolution HDRI map with it?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 10:57
Quote: "I have a suggestion. Along with rendering out your skybox/sphere, would you think it's possible to render out a high resolution HDRI map with it?"

I'm not sure how to combine several images in the correct way to create HDR images, but I'll look into it for you.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 13:20 Edited at: 1st Jul 2010 13:20
Nebula painting in action:

I clustered some stars around the area too

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 14:57 Edited at: 1st Jul 2010 14:58
Adding in a 3D Planet:

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 17:39 Edited at: 1st Jul 2010 17:40
Now added Suns and light colour editing:

Attachments

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 19:29
looking great

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 19:41 Edited at: 1st Jul 2010 19:41
Quote: "looking great"

Thanks Hassan!

Here's Bloom added:

Attachments

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 22:52
This really looks awesome, baxslash! Nice application! Good work! I was wondering, though: this is the latest version of DarkClouds you're using, right? Are those the standard clouds DC uses? And if not, how did you do them?

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2010 23:06
Thanks Slayer!

The only clouds I'm using from DC are the "cirrus" clouds from the latest update. The Normal clouds don't render evenly at different angles so you get a noticeable line on the skybox. Shame as they look great...

I'll be adding in the ability to edit the cirrus clouds somewhat in the near future but I'm a bit too excited by the space stuff at the moment!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 15:32 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2010 15:32
Added Rings for planets and single/multiple object insertion:

Attachments

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 17:04
Can't wait for this,awesome work. I will be finally able to make my own skyboxes yay.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 19:36 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2010 19:44
Here is a new Demo!

https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2041431

It has the space stuff added but is still not 100% complete. I just thought people might like to try out the new stuff...

Attachments

prasoc
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 20:19 Edited at: 2nd Jul 2010 20:58
<3 Space mode: gonna use it for a level I've got planned. I would ask for a way of exporting spheres (like the whole space scene) but I can just use a skybox and a photoshop plugin to do it for me

edit: does it export spheres?

edit2: wowzors! this program is immense!

edit3: could there be an option to delete things like planets?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2010 22:22 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2010 22:58
Quote: "does it export spheres?"

Yes it does! Just click the circle at the top of the screen and it will render a skysphere image any size you specify (if you're prepared to wait a while!!)
EDIT: Also it saves a 'dbo' sphere you can load straight into your game!

Quote: "wowzors! this program is immense!"

Thanks! I'm quite pleased with it

Quote: "could there be an option to delete things like planets?"

I'm planning on adding an "UNDO" feature in the next update. Really it's just a case of saving some data to a text file so it shouldn't be too hard but it might be limited to deleting inserted objects/images to start with...

EDIT: Haven't heard the term Wowzers for a while... go gadget go!

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jul 2010 22:56 Edited at: 3rd Jul 2010 22:59
Here is another sample skybox and skysphere made using EnviroSCOPE...

Just a very quick example of what can be made using the new space tools!!

Attachments

Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jul 2010 16:12 Edited at: 4th Jul 2010 16:13
Dude thats looking sexy as. I downloaded the demo, but enviroscope.exe crashed on startup (rendersphere.exe gives me a black window). Am I missing a dll? do i need DarkClouds to work this?
If its any help, this was in the error report:

EDIT: forgot to mention, im running vista (32bit)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 10:54 Edited at: 5th Jul 2010 10:54
Quote: "Dude thats looking sexy as"

Thanks Aralox!

Quote: "enviroscope.exe crashed on startup"

It could be that you need to update DirectX as the latest version of DarkCLOUDS does require it. Rendersphere will only work if there are images in the 'skybox' folder created by the program but is a very basic DBP program so shouldn't crash or cause any other problems as long as the images are there for it to use...

I'm also running Vista 32bit on two machines but get problems on one machine using DC because the graphics card is not up to scratch...

Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 13:18
Hmm ive got directx 10 (checked with dxdiag), and I dont think theres a later version (i had a quick look, but didnt find anything). Ive got gforce 8500 gt. im not well informed about graphics cards, but i can run shaders and stuff well enough, and ive got the latest driver, but oh well, the day windows actually does what its supposed to do is the day i jump out my window and fly =)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 13:23
Has anyone else tried the latest version yet? Maybe it's just not working for some reason. I did try it first but maybe it got corrupted or something...

I can't test it here but will tonight just to be sure.

Diggsey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 19:24
Quote: "Hmm ive got directx 10"

You need directx 9. (Treat dx9 and dx10 as completely separate)

[b]
Aralox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 19:51
grr bloody microsoft, downloaded a 90 meg file, and it tells me that 'no installation is necessary' as i already have directx 10

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 22:50
spacemode works fine* but the skymode tends to initialize very slowly (patience required but works*). specs in sig.

*bugs founds:
adding water when water is already added causes crash. RE 7007 Object Already Exists @ line 2620.

adding object with no existing terrain... choosing "make one?" = crash "enviroscope has stopped working".

meanwhile...

do you have a "to-do" list, baxslash? ie, ideas to implement?

for now, i'd like to see an "all supported media types" option in the graphics load functions vs filtering jpg, bmp, png, etc, separately. same goes for 3d object types. and, the ability to save to whatever (supported) filetype we'd like would be nice, as well.

further, i'd like to be able to choose star colors. single color and random would be nice, that we can add in "layers". ie, first pass as medium density white, then maybe a light layer of blue, with a thin layer of white on top to add some variety and a little depth, perhaps.

also, will we be able to import sky/star maps and add to current wips? maybe make different versions of basically the same map for variety's sake maintaining a consistent base? that would be nice.

good work, baxslash. this is gonna save a lot of people a lotta time and grief. thanks for that!

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 23:22 Edited at: 6th Jul 2010 00:50
K well, I tried again now that I've had time and I found 1 bug (that has probably been stated before) and have a problem regarding object placement.

The bug occurs when you load a terrain and want to add a new one. - It asks if you want to delete it then crashes because it can't find the one it just deleted.

The problem regarding object placement looks like this:

I kinda wanted them spread out all over the map

It also doesn't texture the object I imported. - I also wanted more control as to where the objects went on my terrain, I didn't really want a forest, I just wanted a few trees but I didn't know it would take my "maximum number of objects" as the value to place, I just thought that would be the limit to the number I could put on the map myself.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jul 2010 23:24 Edited at: 6th Jul 2010 14:11
@Virtual Nomad, thanks!

I knew about the water bug FIXED but thanks anyway and for the object bug.
EDIT:"adding object with no existing terrain... choosing "make one?" = crash "enviroscope has stopped working"." -I Can't replicate this. Could you try to replicate the crash and let me know the exact steps to reproduce?

Quote: "do you have a "to-do" list"

Not a written down one but I guess it's time to start one...

Quote: " i'd like to see an "all supported media types"

Me too, I always prefer that. It's on the list! FIXED

Quote: "the ability to save to whatever (supported) filetype"

I assume you mean for the images? I'll add that to the list but of course it'll have to be "BMP", "DDS", "JPG" or "DIB". FIXED

Quote: "further, i'd like to be able to choose star colors. single color and random would be nice, that we can add in "layers". ie, first pass as medium density white, then maybe a light layer of blue, with a thin layer of white on top to add some variety and a little depth, perhaps."

Nice idea... on the list! FIXED

Quote: "also, will we be able to import sky/star maps and add to current wips? maybe make different versions of basically the same map for variety's sake maintaining a consistent base? that would be nice."

I've been thinking of adding this already as a "Add Skybox/Skysphere" option! Great minds think alike!!

Quote: "this is gonna save a lot of people a lotta time and grief. thanks for that!"

You're welcome!! Like I said it's a tool I wish was out there. I'm also thinking of doing a ".X" format option for the sphere/box output format.

Keep the ideas/bugs coming in guys!!

Cheers!

EDIT: just saw your post C0wbox...

The add terrain bug is another new one on me thanks! FIXED

Quote: "I kinda wanted them spread out all over the map"

Ahh, good bug. I haven't accounted for different image sizes on the terrain... added to list...

Quote: "It also doesn't texture the object I imported"

Currently it will only texture objects if they've been saved in the same folder as their texture... I guess some basic texturing support might be necessary!! Added...

As for positioning the objects you can currently only do that by height but if you have another way you'd like to add them in I'm open to suggestions...

Again, thanks for the input!!

PS.Any chance you could reduce your image size C0wbox?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2010 00:54 Edited at: 6th Jul 2010 00:55
Well, the thing is, the object I imported was in the same folder as its textures. It is basically 1 mesh with 3 different textures applied to different polygons but none of them showed up.

And what I was expecting from object placement was to be able to click somewhere on the screen and just spawn that object wherever I had clicked so it was positioned directly on the terrain. (Using probably sc_intersect on the terrain object) This is how T.ED and all my project's map editors do it.

Perhaps there should be 2 different buttons for like, Fill Terrain With Object and Place Individual Object so that I can just have it in Place Individual Object mode and click wherever I want the object placed.

(For object that people don't want on the terrain you may have to have some kind of option for each object placed onto the terrain where you can alter its height with a simple click and a vertical mouse-movement or something. )

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2010 11:01 Edited at: 6th Jul 2010 12:49
Quote: "Well, the thing is, the object I imported was in the same folder as its textures. It is basically 1 mesh with 3 different textures applied to different polygons but none of them showed up."

Maybe you didn't save the object with the textures applied? I'm not using anything clever for loading the objects just "load object" so the textures won't be applied unless it's been saved in the right way (IE.The texture needs to be in the same relative file location to the object as when the object was created). I'll add some rudimentary texturing options soon!

Quote: "And what I was expecting from object placement was to be able to click somewhere on the screen and just spawn that object wherever I had clicked so it was positioned directly on the terrain. (Using probably sc_intersect on the terrain object) This is how T.ED and all my project's map editors do it."

I like the idea of this as it's more or less exactly how I inserted objects in "Odd Blox"... I have got to start playing with T.Ed...

Here's what I'm thinking for object insertion:
1- It asks for the object you want to insert
2- If there is no terrain it asks if you want to add one
3- If you don't add a terrain it uses a floating position/rotation insert system
4- If you add a terrain it asks if you want to add single or multiple
5- If single it inserts single objects as it does now
6- If multiple it asks if you want random or specific placement
7- If random it inserts as it does now (height based)
8- If specific it works as you suggested by where you are pointing (with some other options similar to single object insertion and then you just point and click)

I'll set it up and you can try it out! Thanks again C0wbox!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2010 23:36
Ouch... the more I look at this the more needs doing...

Still some things are really nice!!

-Star painting works just like nebula painting

-File save/load dialogs are much better

...and I'm working on a skybox renderer for images larger than the screen size. Based roughly on the rendersphere engine but for boxes...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 17:59
I'm reining this one in a bit now as I can see I'm getting bored of it. I'll be finishing this one off over the next few days so it will be done...

If there are any simple features anyone really wants putting in they'd better speak up soon!

I decided to try to finish off the three main WIP's I'm working on at the moment which includes "EnviroSCOPE", "Hell for Leather" and "Soma". Looks like I'll have them pretty well cleared up by the weekend leaving me open to start something new (or finish something old)!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 18:08
![b][/b]

OldPMan
TGC Store Seller
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2010 04:54 Edited at: 25th Oct 2010 21:54
Excellent and useful tool. Best Regards.

.....already beside..... for all
Dragon11182
Years of Service
User Offline
based on all the input, this looks great! I'll test it when i get to my Windows pc. (netbook on internet=linux)
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 19:56
Quote: "pretty well cleared up by the weekend"

Where's this project at?

I for one could still use a skysphere generator.

Quote: ""Hey, this persons, done a lot of work on this game and I can see that there serious about wanting to finish it, I'll give them some encouragement and let them know how good they're doing.""
- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=37738&b=8

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 21:27
Quote: "Where's this project at?"

Not as far ahead as I'd hoped... the AppUp comp and life got in the way a little..

I have added a few features over the last week or so while waiting for validation on my Intel comp games but nothing noteworthy... I'm having some problems with the cloud controls.

The previous versions above should be more than capable of making some simple skyspheres though... have you tried them?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2010 22:12

Oh, I was under the impression it still wouldn't do the object placement stuff I needed for the WOR skyspheres. (Placing hundreds of trees all over the terrain.)

And can it render to both skyspheres and skyboxes yet?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2010 11:18
Quote: "Oh, I was under the impression it still wouldn't do the object placement stuff I needed for the WOR skyspheres. (Placing hundreds of trees all over the terrain.)"

Not sure if it's in the current download actually but I have several methods of inserting objects now. You can place individual/multiple objects (one at a time or random placement).

Quote: "And can it render to both skyspheres and skyboxes yet?"

Yes. I posted a version that'll do both. It renders spheres in a seperate exe and it takes a while as it uses "point" but it works.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2010 17:33
!!!

I'll have a wee look then.

...nothing else is getting done on WOR because I'm not getting the models needed to finish v0.17 from Soharix, so I may as well do something like the skyspheres while I'm waiting.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2010 17:52
Give me a shout if you can't find a working version and I'll post an updated one.

Feel free to Email me...

DarthBasicVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 11:40
Any news on EnviroSCOPE ? I've tried the demo (creating a SkyBox) but the application crashed with an error related to DarkCloud.dll: has DarkCloud to be installed to work ?
TX!!

Riccardo
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2010 11:50
Hi, no you don't need DC to run it. Could be your graphics card?

Could you post the error?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 15:08 Edited at: 7th Feb 2011 15:09
Just tried Enviroscope and although it seems impressive, it had some flaws that meant I couldn't actually use it:

First off I'd want to be able to position the sun (rather than set a time) because I go by position in WOR, so I've got no idea what time it is - the sun's just at 0,500,0 (which puts it in the bottom left corner of every map)

Secondly, the water doesn't actually seem to encompass the whole map, or rather, the whole map sticks out past the water (and tree positioning) boundary. (see fig 1)

Third, I tried loading in some custom trees but it didn't actually load the textures for said trees. (see fig 1)

The slope angle changer when positioning the trees seemed a bit random (I didn't know what 0.0 meant or 1.0 and the increments were really small so it wasn't exactly easy to use)

It was kind of obvious but had me stumped for a moment on some tools but it doesn't tell you anywhere to press enter after doing some things to move to the next tool or to finish with whatever tool you're using.

And finally, the skysphere I rendered from fig 1 doesn't actually work (see fig 2)

fig 1

fig 2

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 15:31
Quote: "First off I'd want to be able to position the sun (rather than set a time) because I go by position in WOR, so I've got no idea what time it is - the sun's just at 0,500,0 (which puts it in the bottom left corner of every map)"

No, this is not possible with DC, but couldn't you just rotate the sphere until the sun is in the right place (after getting the vertical angle right of course)? It wouldn't be very hard.

Quote: "Secondly, the water doesn't actually seem to encompass the whole map, or rather, the whole map sticks out past the water (and tree positioning) boundary. (see fig 1)"

I need to edit this for sure but I don't see why you need terrains or water for WOR when you've put them in yourself? I thought you just needed some nice skys? I would just use the same size height maps as provided with the demo for now.

Quote: "Third, I tried loading in some custom trees but it didn't actually load the textures for said trees. (see fig 1)"

I would guess that the textures weren't in a relative path (assuming they load fine without manually applying the textures).

Quote: "It was kind of obvious but had me stumped for a moment on some tools but it doesn't tell you anywhere to press enter after doing some things to move to the next tool or to finish with whatever tool you're using."

No I haven't finished adding all the help to it that's true. You do have to guess a bit at the moment. If there's a command you don't understand just ask here for now.

Quote: "The slope angle changer when positioning the trees seemed a bit random (I didn't know what 0.0 meant or 1.0 and the increments were really small so it wasn't exactly easy to use)"

I don't remember this bit too well but it's very new. I'll try to make it more obvious at some point.

Quote: "And finally, the skysphere I rendered from fig 1 doesn't actually work (see fig 2)"

Looks like you didn't position the camera anywhere near the terrain to me. The skybox/sphere produced is taken from the current camera position. Sorry I thought that was obvious but clearly not.

I assumed you would just be using this for skies, not terrain and water too (from playing WOR I can't see any reason you would need to add these in) so that being the case you would need to use heightmaps the same size as the examples in the demo.

I'm sure with a little help you could get these set up just how you want. Would you like me to try setting your terrains up? You could just forward me the terrain maps and tree models and I'll provide an example of what can be achieved?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 18:44
Alright that all seems pretty sound but I still don't know how I'm to get the sun to the right height. xD

I'll have another go later - I didn't realise it didn't just make the skysphere from the centre of the terrain not where the camera last was.

The skies for WOR are supposed to have hills and trees in the background to give the game some depth so the map doesn't feel like it's floating in a void of clouds. xD

How do you actually change the sky though? - I could do with being able to edit the clouds and colour a bit... :S

Oh and the model I imported in loads fine everywhere else I use it with its textures. :S So I don't know what's up.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 02:21:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 02:21:16