Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / CloudBOX - a skybox maker you can make free skybox textures with!

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2011 19:49
Quote: "The skies for WOR are supposed to have hills and trees in the background to give the game some depth so the map doesn't feel like it's floating in a void of clouds"

I'm sure we can get it looking right.

Quote: "How do you actually change the sky though? - I could do with being able to edit the clouds and colour a bit... :S"

I'll try to give you some more options and stuff. Give me a few days to get something working nicely.

Quote: "Oh and the model I imported in loads fine everywhere else I use it with its textures. :S So I don't know what's up. "

That is very strange...

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 18:29
Baxslash,

Very nice program. I have created really nice skyboxes out of this.

I also want to let you know about one small bug I found. After you add water, if you try to add it again the program will crash. (Object already exists)

Btw I saw your question on the Image Kit thread about the point command. May I suggest using Advance Sprites plugin for getting pixel color, its much faster than using DBPro point command. However the only thing is that you need a sprite, so I don't know it will work when you render sky sphere, but you might want to try it out.

Advance Sprites Thread Here
Advance Sprites Download Here
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2011 21:46
Quote: "Very nice program. I have created really nice skyboxes out of this."

Thanks! Nice to get some positive feedback.

Quote: "I also want to let you know about one small bug I found. After you add water, if you try to add it again the program will crash. (Object already exists)"

That doesn't surprise me, it's far from complete. I'll make sure to fix this as I'm working on this program on and off at the moment.

Quote: "May I suggest using Advance Sprites plugin for getting pixel color, its much faster than using DBPro point command. However the only thing is that you need a sprite, so I don't know it will work when you render sky sphere, but you might want to try it out."

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a feeling that if I need to make a sprite from the rendered image each loop it's unlikely to be faster but I'll take a look. Thanks again!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2011 16:45 Edited at: 8th Mar 2011 17:02
EnviroSCOPE is going open source!

Anyone who wants my less than perfect and incomplete code for this project can now have it.

Below is a link to a full folder with all the material I am legally allowed to release (not Plant Life/TreeMagik models etc.)

DOWNLOAD!

Please let me know if you find any problems or are having difficulty with something.

Requirements:
DarkCLOUDS (although you could strip this out and keep the space editor or add your own sky system in)
@IanM's Matrix Utility plugin
@Cloggy's D3D plugin
@Kaedroho's Anisotropic filter plugin
BlueGUI (Only for load/save dialogs, you can easily replace this code [I have replacement code for anyone interested])

There may be other requirements I've missed so let me know if you spot any

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2011 22:17 Edited at: 10th Mar 2011 22:23
Thank you baxslash for making it open source!

Whenever you make updates to this program, here are some suggestions.

1. It would be nice to be able to add objects in space mode.
2. To be able to set how many clouds we want.
3. Have "single" object placement. (like placing 1 or 2 objects where you want it, like buildings.) instead of having a random placement.
4. To be able to use object shaders and full screen shaders.

Also here are 2 bugs.

On space mode, the tooltip for the upper right icon. it does not show correctly (should show to the left so the user can see it.)

And I think this is a DarkCLOUDS bug but I'll tell you in case it's not, the clouds don't show when the cursor is not on a icon.

Image with cursor not on a icon in download.

Thanks for this great program.

Attachments

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2011 22:24
The Image with cursor on a icon.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2011 23:01
Quote: "1. It would be nice to be able to add objects in space mode."

Strange, I thought I already added that but on checking I see it's not there!

Quote: "2. To be able to set how many clouds we want."

Darkclouds has some problems when using the required FOV of 90 degrees. The clouds don't match up which leaves only the cirrus clouds working in EnviroSCOPE. I was going to add in the option to change the cirrus image which would allow a certain amount of customisation but hadn't got round to it yet!

Quote: "3. Have "single" object placement. (like placing 1 or 2 objects where you want it, like buildings.) instead of having a random placement."

This is already possible, but limited. Shouldn't be too hard to edit a little.

Quote: "4. To be able to use object shaders and full screen shaders."

Feel free to add this in that's why I made it open source. I have too many other projects to finish!!

Quote: "On space mode, the tooltip for the upper right icon. it does not show correctly (should show to the left so the user can see it.)"

Yes this is not right. Bug

Quote: "And I think this is a DarkCLOUDS bug but I'll tell you in case it's not, the clouds don't show when the cursor is not on a icon.

Image with cursor not on a icon in download."

I don't get the same bug... never seen that one before, could it be a graphics card issue?

Quote: "Thanks for this great program."

More than welcome! Please feel free to add to it. I will update it too but any uploaded updates by forum users will also be merged with my DEV version.

noturno
Years of Service
User Offline
Dudes, really great piece of work!!

I just got to this thread and I am starting with EnviroScope. But I already have a question: when I choose Space mode, it works grat. ut if I choose sky mode, the program never stops trying to load and crashes.

Any tips? Additionally, I ask: the version from 2010 july is the most up to date one? Thanks!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2011 14:06
Quote: "Dudes, really great piece of work!!"

Thanks

Quote: "when I choose Space mode, it works grat. ut if I choose sky mode, the program never stops trying to load and crashes."

Sounds like maybe your system isn't quite up to it. Can you post your system spec?

Quote: "Any tips? Additionally, I ask: the version from 2010 july is the most up to date one? Thanks!"

One tip is if you are using terrains make sure you use the same size image as I used for the heightmap. July 2010 is the most up to date version I released but some changes have been added to the released source code.

If you have any questions just post them here. Glad you like it!

noturno
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey blackslash!

Thanks for the fast reply. About my spec, I think it can handle: I have 4gb ram, graphic card GeForce 9600 gt 1gb, and a Amd Phenon X& 1075T 3.0ghz.

But still I should check for your second tip, probably. i can`t do it right now cause I am on my note, but will check that when I am back in home.

Regarding your released code, I am already playing around with it. Let`s see what I can get myself Cheers!
noturno
Years of Service
User Offline
oh, dude, I just forgot to ask: using the space mode and playing with the amazing nebulas, it looks like a reached sort of a limit for them, as I suddenly was unable to add anymore. But I was still able to add other things: planets, suns, stars, etc.

Is there such a limit or is it a sort of a bug? If there is a limit, it would be helpfull to know what it is and probably I will insert a counter for that in your open code. Thanks again!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2011 15:41
I think I did put a limit in there but it might be worth increasing it in that case.

What operating system are you on, I'll check if there are any known probs with DC. Works fine here on 32Bit Vista...

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 18:38
Any word on this? I'm really impressed by the demo, but I'd like the ability to save to .tga or .png

The open source version is not much use to someone like me who doesn't have DBPro

AE
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2011 18:48
Quote: "Any word on this? I'm really impressed by the demo, but I'd like the ability to save to .tga or .png

The open source version is not much use to someone like me who doesn't have DBPro"

I'll add it to the wish list (which I am working on now and again) but in the meantime couldn't you just edit the images using GIMP / Irfanview or another free image editing program?

It would only take a few moments to do...

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2011 13:10
Quote: "couldn't you just edit the images using GIMP / Irfanview or another free image editing program?"

As it is now, the images are saved with such compression that simply changing the format wouldn't do anything. It's a trademark of .jpg unfortunately; it's a very lossy format, and once the data is lost you'll never get it back

Thanks for taking note! Look forward to the next release

AE
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2011 17:30
Good point. I thought it was saving as BMP...

I'll make a new exe just for you ASAP. Might be buggy though as I've been working on it a little.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:40:57
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:40:57