Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / World Off Road

Author
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 03:02
Ahh, i see. xP

Behold the new marble game coming soon: Marbsticle Course > > >http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=178472&b=8&p=0 coming January to February 2011
Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 04:30
those checkpoints look pretty cool as is; orange and blue is a good color combo. You might want to make it look textured, but keep it orange and blue on my opinion

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 04:34
I won't be doing anything interesting. I'm just making placeholders for when the guys redo everything.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2010 05:52
That's smart

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
If you have have implemented drift, how did you do it? I'm not using PhysX but do you have any idea to implement drift?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2010 01:27 Edited at: 21st Dec 2010 09:31
@ Eminent
If by drift you mean, the ability to slide rounds corners, I can do it by lowering the friction on the tires.

(I really have no idea how you'd achieve this in Drive though xD)

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2010 08:59
you can use vector math, and it is easy, the car is moving in a direction with a force, expressed by a vector3.
when you are steering, add the new direction with another vector3.
balancing the two vectors you can simulate a drift or a grip style.
2 years ago i was makinf a mario kart clone, the driving engine was complete, and this system worked ok. you just have to tune some value.

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 17:07 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2011 19:18
Progress !

I finally got round to making an Alpine map, and I forgot to mention last time that I now have lightmap shadows on all the map props (not just trees) so the tracks looks a little more complete now.

Here are pics :

Next up will be one of the following:
* Making Alpine2 and Dunes2
* Making Swamp1 and Swamp2
* Making Crunch, Monster or Blade (cars)
* Making the rest of the menus
Once these 4 steps are done v0.18 can be released and Deathead and The Slayer can begin on the media overhaul for v0.19

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 18:34
Looking very nice!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 19:12 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2011 19:16
Oh it gets better !!!

Now I've got 1 and a half months worth of time on my hands before term starts I can really crack the back of WOR and get it done.

I just did Alpine2 and Dunes2 completing the first 4 maps!

Here is a picture of each map:

Dunes1 | | | | | | | | | Dunes2 | | | | | | | | | Alpine1 | | | | | | | | | Alpine2
Notice the triangle counts are around 30,000 this time. - I ran an old version of WOR and checked Dunes1 which had a triangle count of nearly 95,000 in places.

WOR v0.18 will not have LOD on the trees but a final version of WOR will, it just requires me to go back through placing tree entities at all the shadows instead of using the mesh of props T.ED exports when you make a map.

* Making Swamp1 and Swamp2
Once these 3 steps are done v0.18 can be released and Deathead and The Slayer can begin on the media overhaul for v0.19

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2011 23:49 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2011 23:49
looking forward to play a new demo of this wonderful game.

good work!

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 12:47
More progresses !!!

Swamp1 has finally been made!

Here are some pics :

* Making Swamp2
Once these 3 steps are done v0.18 can be released and Deathead and The Slayer can begin on the media overhaul for v0.19

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 13:04
I only have one suggestion, perhaps a little more diversity in the plant life/scenery?

Other than that it looks great.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 13:43
@ baxslash
Yeah the trees were just bunged in there by me for the moment because I couldn't be bothered to spend ages doing them nicely so they look really samey at the moment.

When the other guys get a hold of the media it should look a little more interesting.

I also got told by The Slayer to make the ground texture a little more varied but stated I couldn't change the UV on the ground textures in T.ED so they always looked loopy and that this was why I've kept the ground all boring and plain (to prevent loopyness) - But then I found you can change the UVs of the textures in T.ED so I've decided for v0.20 or later I'll go back through all the terrain textures and do them up nicely. - It can stay like it is for the moment.

On a side note, I was feeling happy so I decided to make a completely ridiculous happy-track !!!

(I'll get on with Swamp2 and Happy2 in a bit, once I stop being silly xD)

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 14:01
Quote: "Yeah the trees were just bunged in there by me for the moment because I couldn't be bothered to spend ages doing them nicely so they look really samey at the moment.

When the other guys get a hold of the media it should look a little more interesting."

I thought that might be the case but just in case I thought I'd mention it.

Like the 'Happy' track! Some random scenery could make it really fun

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 15:35 Edited at: 4th Jan 2011 18:49
Swamp2!!! !

Just some mug shots of Swamp1, Swamp2 and Happy1:

Once these 2 steps are done v0.18 can be released and Deathead and The Slayer can begin on the media overhaul for v0.19

Oh and here's a silly video for anyone feeling particularly silly today:

Don't worry it's only like 10 seconds long but shows how awesome the happymaps are !

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Daygamer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 22:05
really looking good! I love the creativity.

yrotate when you can spin?
God Bless!
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 22:16 Edited at: 5th Jan 2011 12:26
! I've been doing some work on the menu, prettifying the background with the Half Life 2 style fading in of a full 3D backdrop, some newer buttons and some implementation of the Soharix menu plugin (made by TheComet)

EDIT:
Made Happy2, I can rest easy now I have 2 maps for each zone.

Still left to do:
Once these 2 steps are done v0.18 can be released and Deathead and The Slayer can begin on the media overhaul for v0.19

Oh and I just remembered WOR has the ability to do this:

For anyone feeling particularly stoopid, you can do this too with the console command kill or in splitscreen multiplayer, kill1 and kill2

And because I never seem to post it for some reason, here's a full list of console commands:
graph - brings up statistics like framerate and triangle count
hud - hides any HUD elements like the lap counter and corner menus
clip (v0.17-) - just found out this command does absolutely nothing in WOR so I've just taken it out xD
cam (v0.18+) - positions the camera for a whole-map view (the one I took the mug shot pictures of the tracks in)
kill / kill1 - removes the joints connecting player 1's wheels to the body
kill2 - removes the joints connecting player 2's wheels to the body

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2011 16:18 Edited at: 5th Jan 2011 18:26
More progresses !!!
(I would just keep editing that previous post but it was getting confusing so I thought I'd make a fresh post )

The first new vehicle in a long time. (Even Trent was pretty old)
Monster !

For anyone sad enough to want to see the awesome design process involved in making Monster, here's my silly drawings
The more perceptive of you may have realised that Monster is just a truck.

Still left to do:
* Making Crunch and Blade (cars)
* Making the multiplayer menu and finishing the options menu

Attachments

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 01:00
there are tons of pics let me think this game must be very funny to play.

waiting for v0.18!!!
BTW, what about a more complete video??

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 01:42 Edited at: 6th Jan 2011 01:42
@ Ermes
I don't want to do another video until v0.19 when all the models are redone properly.

For the moment the game is just in a stable condition but isn't as graphically pleasing as some of the other videos.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2011 16:47 Edited at: 7th Jan 2011 00:45
For everyone to be made aware of:

I'm hoping to have v0.18 released by 3:00am (GMT) on 07/01/2011 (dd/mm)

So anyone who cares, make sure you're here for the amazing release.

EDIT:

Blade

All I've got left to do is:
* Make Crunch
* Finish the options menu

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2011 02:40
World Off Road v0.18 !!!

Finally got round to actually doing v0.18! - It's still a bit ropey in terms of mechanics (although some sillies have been cleared up) but the main improvement is that the game now has 8 (9 including flatgrass) working maps and 5 workings vehicles. Nothing is half finished but they will all be done up at various points. (The vehicles for v0.19 and the maps for v0.20 or later)

The game also now has a fully functional menu so you can actually do what you want. (Thanks to TheComet for creating the Soharix Menu Plugin)

The multiplayer is still a bit loose and badly structured but that should improve eventually.

v0.18 also has a new music ! - By The Slayer

Here are some pictures of Crunch, the last update to v0.18 before releasing it:

v0.18
.rar

Don't have too much fun now.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 00:27 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 09:57
downloading!!!!!!!!!!!!! great!!!!!!!!!!!

edit:

game engine works very fine, cars models are good.
light effects of the track are amazing! great work!
i would like to ask you (i'n new with terrains) how you did
the terrain and the light effects, just a brief info.

i know this is only a demo,but i think WOR needs something like
"things" to avoid when you're running your laps like animals,swamp monters,etc, bonus to collect, powerup like turbo.
the game as it is now it will be of fun only in multiplayer, when you have other pilots on the track.

Great programming ability, nice menu effect,clean and polished graphics. debris effect of the car is to be awarded.one of the best dbc i ever seen.

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 18:13
@ Ermes
The terrains and the lighting are done in T.ED (it has a lightmapping function in it that exports onto the megatexture)

I decided a long time ago WOR would be about the racing not other sillies things like mario-kart have. So I've never wanted to include powerups or obstacles. - The only things you've got to worry about are trees, terrain, water and checkpoints.

As far as programming goes its about 4500 lines and it's made in DBP. xD (DBC is outdated and I don't own it. )

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 20:20 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 20:21
This is a huge improvement! I still have the weird water glitch where it blacks out though...

I think the game would be a little more fun if it was just a little faster, it's pretty slow paced now. I'm almost sure you can do that with 1 Dark Physics command too. Additionaly, adding mass to the cars might help, for realism's sake. Also, what happened to the fullscreen mode, it doesn't work anymore

Great job though!

swis
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Downloading .

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 21:03
@ swissolo
Well, this is the second time this water glitch has come up. :S I don't know what causes it and I can't recreate it to solve it but I'll put in an option to turn the shader off and revert it to the same water you get in splitscreen MP.

Yeah I might try experimenting with the Dark Physics refresh rate to see if I can make it seem a little faster. - Although the races will be even shorter then. xD
I've added as much mass as I can to the cars without squashing them into the floor. DarkPhysics is simply just a bad physics engine to use for an offroad racing game. (It'd be fine if all the races were flat.) It's because I'm getting the cars to drive over fairly low poly terrains that cause the cars to bounce up and down and due to the fluffyness of the mass handling in DarkPhysics, it just seems really stoopid - almost like everything's made of cardboard.

Fullscreen works but you need to set it in User\Options.cfg for the time being, I just didn't get that button working because I couldn't decide how I wanted it to handle it (I also need to talk to TheComet about coding me a tickbox function for the SoharixMenuPlugin. )

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 21:13 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 21:24
I set it in the User\Options.cfg and it never worked, it didn't in v0.17 either, but did in v0.16. You could maybe just increase the gravity to get a little more terrain grip, instead of increasing mass. I'll get a picture of the water problem in a second...

I also noticed in this picture you postedhttp://soharix.homestead.com/WOR/Screenshots/WOR41.png you get the same effect around the water in the map (this happens to me here too) only it's light blue for you.

swis

Attachments

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 21:40 Edited at: 8th Jan 2011 21:41
@ swissolo
:o Well setting the variable to 0 works for me. - Make sure its got 3 spaces after it though otherwise it reads it wrong.
It's just going doing this:

Increasing the gravity would make the cars bounce more annoyingly. xD

Are you underwater in that screenshot? - Monster looks really pale and green. xD

But yeah, I can solve the blue edges in that picture you showed me I've taken with some tweaking but I really don't know why it's going black for some people.

Also, why the hell is this stoopid text loady code I got not loading anyone's font but mine !!!!!!!1 xD </rant>

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I like it but I flip over to easy. I like the drift.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2011 23:33
xD Unfortunately the only things that would solve flipping too easily would be a higher poly terrain (so the gradients to bumps are smoother and less jerky on the car) or using suspension (something DarkPhysics can't do)

! So you'll all just have to live with it.

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 01:51 Edited at: 9th Jan 2011 02:06
Quote: "As far as programming goes its about 4500 lines"

wow, great programming skills!

i'm very long with my commands,this is the last section of ESF.....

last line is 31510...

COwbox, i see you have a clean idea of what your game must be. but and it's a pity because the graphics of your game is perfect for a mario kart game!

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 02:37 Edited at: 9th Jan 2011 02:39

My programming is only good because I spend a great deal of time devising the fastest or smallest ways to write my code - we call it the Soharix standard and it's what I get the other guys in Soharix to follow when they code for me because it saves everyone a lot of time and space.

Heck, I think I could probably write a book on just how I code it's that refined. xD (Although I found to my horror today I'd been missing some things out for a long time. )

I would show you the last line of my code but that was actually written by TheComet for his menu plugin, so it's not really my code. But here's a picture of some code anyway, and all the numerous source files WOR has:

The graphics are perfect right now but after Deathead and The Slayer get a hold of everything, they'll make a big difference. Then I'll be redoing the terrain textures and possibly remodelling all the races again because they're too short at the moment.

And if I fix the water bugs and add in motion blur again, World Off Road should look pretty decent. - I certainly wouldn't want it's graphics comparable to Mario Kart once we get to that stage.

Attachments

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 02:49
i've only one source. and it is a bit messy.

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 03:03 Edited at: 11th Jan 2011 23:36
xD Yeah it's not a bad idea to split your source code up, it makes bug fixing so much easier.

@ Everyone experiencing water problems with v0.18
I've released a patch for v0.18 here, it's just the .exe so it's no where near as big. You can just put it straight on the current .exe and it will hopefully sort some of the water problems - but I want feedbacks because I'm not entirely sure that really is the problem.

The patch also solves that in splitscreen multiplayer it wouldn't register player 2 is going through checkpoints.

v0.181 patch:

Ermes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 03:13
time to go to bed COwbox!!!

[img][/img]
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2011 03:40
? It's only 2:40am - I've got nothing better to be doing at this time of night.

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 01:29
Lol! I like how you have your CodeSurge background color a light blue What is this Soharix menu plugin you speak of?

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 01:45
When I switched to Codesurge I just set the style to resemble what the original DBP IDE looked like. (It had the same light blue background, it makes me feel better when I'm coding - I don't like coding on a white background. )

The Soharix menu plugin just allows us to quickly make buttons, input fields and sliders and handles all the construction in doing so. It was created by TheComet and standardized by me but is for Soharix internal use only at the moment. (TheComet and I may decide to share the source later because it is just 1 .dba file. )

The start of Smenu.dba:

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 03:52
That's smart, ive wanted to make one of those for a while. But ive been interested in c++ and c, and trying to force my self to work on MC, and things dont go over very well (read my strange programming language forum)http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=179932&b=2

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 22:58 Edited at: 11th Jan 2011 23:05
It isn't ever fullscreen for me... ? Are you sure it's set right in the IDE?
Oh, also the patch works.

swis

Attachments

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2011 23:38
!!! Lol random screenshot.
I'm GLaD the patch works; 3 people had this problem and you're the first to tell me I've solved it.

I've uploaded a new patch here to sort out some of the options screen problems and the Windowed/Fullscreen button now works so you can all have even more fun.

v0.182 patch:

Don't worry it still includes all that v0.181 did, it's just the updated .exe in a .rar again.

@ People not posting on this thread
Do people need me to upload a .zip as well? - Would that get more people playing WOR? :S I can't tell if people just aren't playing because I'm only putting up .rars. :S

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 03:48
Yes, that would get more people playing, just my opinion I would like that, dont know when winrar trial is going to quite on me, but it seems as if ive been using it for a livin' heck of a lot longer than 40 days!

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 04:14
Hah that trial doesn't run out; I've been using mine for like 3 years now. xD

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 05:15
Way for them to make money! They just try to scare ya into buying the darn thing

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2011 23:30 Edited at: 12th Jan 2011 23:39
!!!

We're all having fun deving on WOR. - Well me and The Slayer are.

Here's a pic of what he's been doing:

He's only done the body so far, the wheels are the same as the old car in that shot.

And I'll be looking into a way to do the map and car selection screens. (It's a secret for the moment though. )

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2011 00:03 Edited at: 13th Jan 2011 00:05
I know what you should do! Make it iphone/touchscreen style flipping through images for the selections; just drag the image and when let go of, the image will continue to move a bit further.

That car looks SWEET![u][i]

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2011 00:41
Na I've already decided on how I'm doing the race and vehicle selections and it'll look way more snazzy than that, trust me. xD

If I tried to explain it I'd do a crap job at it, so just wait for v0.19 when we'll have:
* New cars
* New media (sort of)
* New menus
* Possibly an ingame menu
* Some other stuff I might think up
* Bug fixes

Dark Java Dude 64
Community Leader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2011 22:51
That sound cool! Speaking of ingame menus, i dont notice many db games with pause function, and im not sure if yours does, but if not, it's a nice feature... I can only imagine what these snazzy menus are going to look like!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:38:31
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:38:31