Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Intel Competition / [Intel Comp 2010] Baxslash's Entry (Backlash)

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2010 17:07 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2010 17:58
Quote: "I'm liking the looks of the new levels. Very snazzy!"
Thanks dude!

Quote: "Since it seems like people are loving the idea of blood, perhaps you could have it as an unlockable? Like you get it if you get 100% gold?"

Yeah maybe. I haven't quite made my mind up yet and I guess I won't until I make the 'None Gore' version...

Quote: "(and your shameless plug is forgiven)"

Do you mean the one I put on the thread for your really cool game Joy Ltd here:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=174057&b=40&p=1#m2085316
[/plug return]

EDIT: New "Select Level" screen (replaces the "Continue Game" option), now you can play a single level any time you like!

Also just added directional firing for Shuriken (throwing stars) and smoke bombs (so you can throw a smoke bomb over the object you are hiding behind)...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2010 17:19
A quick update!

Just to say I'm finalising this as it stands without the 'final level'.

I think it works really well as a "Ninja Training" game and I think I could optimise the engine for full blown 'levels' in a follow up game. I'm going to release it very cheap (like $1 or maybe even free) on AppUp and see how it does...

I'm still ironing out glitches though so I'm glad I didn't try to fix it for the competition!!

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2010 03:14
This is cool. I keep failing on the 3rd level though.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2010 15:05
I'm just Beta testing this and it runs fine (90fps) on even my old laptop (5 years old) but on my new netbook it runs at around 15fps...

The netbook has 1Gb RAM and an N455 chipset. I'm assuming at the moment that it might have something to do with transparency as I am using multiple transparent planes. There's nothing else I can think of that the game uses that might cause such lag.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know as this may put this game on permanent hold unless I can find a realistic solution!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2010 20:14
I just found a solution (of sorts) and got the fps up to 30-40 on my netbook! So the project is being finished off now and will be released on AppUp in the next few weeks (after I've resolved some new minor problems)!

I'm just relieved I finally got it working!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 14:45 Edited at: 25th Feb 2011 14:47
Anyone fancy Beta testing Backlash?

It's far from perfect but mostly it should work...

Anyway here's a full working version for anyone to test if they want to. This is the game as will be released on AppUp for around $1-2.

Backlash - Ninja Training - Beta

Enjoy! (I hope!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 19:25 Edited at: 25th Feb 2011 19:29
Awesome, just played it . Wrote down a bunch of stuff I noticed:

Bugs:
- When I die, there is a large black box that takes up most of the upper-left side of the screen
- When I hit 'Y' to try again on the Warehouse level, the guys that spotted me the first time around didn't patrol, they just sat at their starting points, staring. Then I got "Object does note xist at line 5596: Object 700" when I tried to jump
- You might consider renaming "Level Select" to something like "Play Level" - I thought I was starting the game at that level when I did it, not just playing the one level.
- Every minute or two my screen would lag for a second or two. I'm pretty sure this is my computer, and I have experienced it on a lot of other games, but in Backlash when this happened really strange glitches started showing up: if there were enemies patroling, they would end up far outside of their patrol zones. If a shuriken hit me in this time it was an instant kill (I even managed to kill myself on level 3 when this happened). I would also usually end up at one end of the level or the other when it stopped.
- Every time I quit the game, Windows tells me it may not have installed correctly. Also, the folder it puts in My Documents is sort of intrusive
EDIT: - I'm not positive, but I think when I played the final level from the Level Select screen it credited me with getting gold on all the levels, even though I don't think I had.

Features:
- The 'Skip Dialogue' button isn't immediately obvious (enter) - it should be shown or at least be one of the buttons used in the game, like Space.
- It briefly occurred to me that some kind of mid-air dodge would be really cool on the first level - waiting for the shuriken to pass above you isn't very awesome or ninja-like
- In the warehouse, if a guard sees you and you sneak around behind him, he will instantly know you are there - he should keep looking where he was.
- It's frustrating sometimes on level 3 to not be able to hit the targets until they are completely extended.
- The stealth kills were really epic, but it took me 3 or 4 runs to figure out you had to hold down shift to do a special move rather than just slashing the guys from behind.

I hope some of these help . Game is well worth $2. The music and the ninja climbing stuff are so awesome.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 21:12
Thanks a lot BMacZero! That's one of the best all round crits I've ever had on my games here! I know I haven't given it anything like a full testing since I made a lot of these changes.

I'll be sure to fix those bugs and I really like some of your ideas to improve the game! Mid-air dodge in particular

I guess I have a bunch more work to do before publishing...

BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 21:33 Edited at: 25th Feb 2011 21:36
Got a few more bugs, unfortunately

- Often when re-trying the second level, the player will spontaneously die right after the master leaves.
- Every time I quit and restart the game, my unlocks move "up a level". For example, I played through the game on normal, quit it. I started it up to play again and I had no unlocks on normal, but all of them on hard. EDIT: Okay, it isn't on restarting the game that this happens, it's something else. Maybe finishing a level or beating the game
- I got a few more Object Does Not Exist errors but I don't remember them exactly. I think one was line 5560.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2011 21:40
OK, thanks again fella!

I wonder whether I should have made one change in particular... it would explain a lot of the missing media problems.

Back to the drawing board

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 10:35:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 10:35:42