Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Intel Competition / [Intel Comp 2010] The Slayer's Entry (BRIXOID)

Author
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 03:27
Page

Quote: "Those look good bright. meow dosent hahaha lol"

Wait, what?

Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Slayer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 11:44
@budokaiman
Its an inside joke to The Slayer. I'm sure he knows what i'm talking about.

I dont know how to spell
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 30th Aug 2010 12:46 Edited at: 30th Aug 2010 20:03
Quote: "You might want to make the play arena fit in a bit more. What is the radiation box for too? Other than that, good work, I can't wait for the demo."

Thanks, budokaiman!
Yeah, I'll lower the skins a bit closer to the bricks.
The radiation box is just because of the deadly laser. Do you think I doesn't fit?
Yah, I know, the demo. I just wanted to finish the skins, so I can put them all in. Just a few more things to do, and then I'll post that demo.

Quote: "Cool skins! they looks nice."

Thanks, Slayer! I've spent quite some time getting them close to perfection.

Quote: "Its an inside joke to The Slayer. I'm sure he knows what i'm talking about."

LOL!

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2010 01:06
Latest update:

- Done another Techno song for my game (will be in the demo). The metalsong will probably not be in the demo, unless you'll wait a little longer for the demo to come out.
- Made some improvements on the overall speed of the game by using Cloggy's text commands.
- Improved the FPS by converting as much as possible the movements to Timer Based Movement.
- Reduced the memory size of all game assets to 34 MB instead of 100 MB. The final size will be slighly bigger because I'm still working on the music.
- Added more details to some skins.
- Worked on the pause feature.
- Made the paddle more sensitive.
- Applied some randomness to the ball contact with the paddle (sometimes the ball will not go to the direction it should go).
- Added some improvements to the volume sliders and sound control.

I'm almost ready to pack the files to make it ready for that demo.

Here's another skin I really like (plus the pause feature activated):

All comments are welcome.

Thanks

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2010 02:44
To be honest, I think that you should get rid of the radiation box. The newest screen really points out how out of place it looks. Other than that, it's looking good (though flowers and butterflies aren't really my thing, I do get that it is more about wider appeal).

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2010 03:10
Thanks a lot for the comments, budokaiman.

Seems that I get a lot of comments from non-contestants. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Quote: "To be honest, I think that you should get rid of the radiation box. The newest screen really points out how out of place it looks."

Yeah, maybe you're right. Either get rid of it, or find some way to blend it with the surrounding background?

Quote: "(though flowers and butterflies aren't really my thing, I do get that it is more about wider appeal"

Yah, some will like it and others won't. But, that was the idea to make skins to please a wider public. I do hope there's something for everyone, though.

Btw, I'll try to include the metalsong in the demo, as I know you (and other people) would love that.

Thanks!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2010 10:25
Quote: "to make skins to please a wider public"

I agree that you've made this far more widely appealing. Maybe the background and radiation box could just suit the skin a little better; a slight colour change and different icon on the box maybe?

This is looking really polished since I last looked though!! Well done!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2010 14:37
Quote: "This is looking really polished since I last looked though!! Well done!"

Thanks, baxslash! And, soon you'll be able to play the demo.

Quote: "a slight colour change and different icon on the box maybe?"

Hum, I've tried changing the color (ambience, diffuse,...) but that didn't help much. Ghosting the radiation box worked on some skins but not on others.
Maybe I'll just get rid of the model, and design the radiation box on the skin image. It'll be far more easier and better than making different textures for the box to suit each skin.
The radiation icon I'll leave like it is. You still need to recognize what the icon stands for, right?

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 01:46 Edited at: 7th Sep 2010 01:47
Sorry for the double post. Latest news:
Just wanted to let you all know that I've finally got the timer based movement working in my game. Thanks to ShaunRW's Timer Plugin.
I've tested the game at 30, 45 and 60 FPS, and it ran at the same speed all the time, no matter which framerate. You still see the difference a little when not using VSync, but I've added the possibility to choose your desired rate + VSync ON/OFF at the start of the game. You'll also be able to choose between Notebook-mode, and PC-mode (in this mode, the resolution is still 1024, 600, 32 but it will be centered).
I also added another feature in the game (unbreakable blocks).
The skins had a makeover (the radiation box is now designed to suit the skin better). Here's a screenie:

The vault texture had a complete makeover too (it didn't go well with the skins, and now it's much better).
Basically, I'm pretty much ready to post that demo. Either it will be tomorrow (it's already night here in Belgium), or at the latest I'll post it on Thursday. Tomorrow I'm gonna try and finish the metalsong for my game, and put it in the demo.

Thanks for being patient.

Cheers

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2010 03:38
I'll be honest here.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 00:15
budokaiman, I appreciate your honesty.

Well, today I've spend almost 5 hours recording riffs and mixing, getting the metalsong ready to put in that demo I promised, and man, the song is really awesome! Jeez, it's probably one of the best songs I wrote in a long time! So, your patience will be rewarded, I can assure you that! So, I'll put three songs in the demo (two techno/trance songs, and one Metalsong).
Now, I'm gonna check if all runs like I want, do the stuff that still needs to be done, and then I'm gonna pack the whole thing together and post a link to download. If I still have time to post it this evening, then I will. If not, then definately tomorrow.

Thanks!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 20:35 Edited at: 18th Sep 2010 15:07
Okay, so it's finally done. I have the demo ready. Whoohoooo!
I've put it here as a download (don't know if it will work, because zipped the file is still 30 MB large). If it doesn't work, I'll post a link to were you can download it from later.

EDIT: well, it didn't work appearantly, so I'll post that downloadlink ASAP

Latest version (with bug fixes) available here:

BRIXOID

What needs to be known before playing:

-the MINIMUM screen resolution of your machine should be set at 1024,768 (for PC or laptop)
-left and right keys for paddle movement
-spacebar and/or shift key for ball launching/fire
-the help screen is not completely done yet
-the credits screen is not available yet (never know who I might need to credit later...)
-the game should run on both PC and Netbook (you need to choose at the start which machine it needs to run on). NOTE: don't press the esc key before you see the main menu!
-you can only choose three songs (not the song called 'WEIRD')
-there's only one difficulty level (> EASY)
-to escape each screen (main, options, highscores, etc...), just press ESC
-you can pause the game by pressing the 'P' key, and to resume, press spacebar
-you can only play 2 levels, but you can play over and over again.

And, that should be all, I think...

So, to anyone who has a netbook, PLEASE try it out on your netbook, and let me know how it runs. Thanks!
To all those who are playing on a PC or laptop, the game will have the same resolution as on a netbook (1024,600,32), no matter what the screen settings of your machine is. The game will be centered on your screen, so people running on a higher resolution will see a border (your desktop) around the game. And, PLEASE let me know how it runs on your PC/laptop. Thanks!

Well, all comments, suggestions, critics are welcome!

Enjoy!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2010 21:07 Edited at: 8th Sep 2010 21:36
Hi, sorry for the double post. Just wanted to let you all know that I've put the link to download the demo. (see post above)

[EDIT]
Oh yeah, and I forgot one more thing (well, two things actually ).
Firstly, I forgot to put in the code when the player has no more lives left. Hahahaa! Silly me. But, that's not a huge problem, since you can only play two levels.
And, the second thing I forgot to mention, is that you can enter more than 20 characters for your name, but only the first 20 letters will be shown in the highscoretabel. I have the code ready to adjust that, but I forgot to put it in. Will be fixed in the final version, though.

Have fun!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2010 15:18
Downloading... but still waiting on "4shared"... what's wrong with filefront?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2010 18:15
Quote: "Downloading..."

Thanks for downloading and to try it out, baxslash! I hope you enjoy it?

Quote: "what's wrong with filefront?"

Don't know, I haven't that out yet. Is it better?

Cheers

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2010 18:23
Quote: "Don't know, I haven't that out yet. Is it better?"

Only in so far as you don't have to join to get an instant download. I had to wait a whole minute to download your file, if that doesn't sound much then sorry but every minute is precious at the moment!

I look forward to trying the game soon, I have it on my flash stick ready to try!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2010 18:44
Quote: "I had to wait a whole minute to download your file, if that doesn't sound much then sorry but every minute is precious at the moment!"

Well, I didn't know that untill my account was made so, sorry for that. But the game is worth waiting one minute. At least I think so.

Quote: "I look forward to trying the game soon"

Great, can't wait to hear your comments.

Wish there were more people giving comments or critics. Wonder why I did all the effort of getting it ready for download in the first place.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2010 18:52
Quote: "Wish there were more people giving comments or critics. Wonder why I did all the effort of getting it ready for download in the first place."

I have put about three or four demos up and had maybe five constructive crits...

The few I get are always worth it and I try to be quite a heavy tester of my own games. I WILL comment when I've had a chance to play it but I'm away in Hungary this weekend...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 00:05
OK I played it and I am addicted. The music is perfect, the up/downgrades are deliciously inventive and I think I hate you!!

LOL, seriously this is a great entry. I hate to say it but you deserve to win just for addictiveness!!!

I wish I had something constructive to say... I guess the only possible thing is that sometimes the direction the ball goes doesn't seem quite right compared to where the 'paddle' is... maybe... other than that it's great!!

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 00:28 Edited at: 10th Sep 2010 00:32
Quote: "sometimes the direction the ball goes doesn't seem quite right compared to where the 'paddle' is"

I noticed this too. Also, is the "Back to Menu button" in the options not finished yet, but will be? Also, the sprites that you used for when the ball makes contact seem a bit off. What you should do is make them circles, because when they appear, and I can see the box that was used for the sprite, because the colours suddenly end, it just seems odd. I actually took a look at your sprites, they seem fine, so I am thinking that it may be the function that you used to split the sprite images. Finally, I think that when asking if the user is using a PC or netbook, and asking for the desired frame rate, you should use the keystate function, instead of the input or entry function.

Other than that, it is a wonderful game, certainly worth the wait.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 00:58
*swallows* *swallows again*

Quote: "OK I played it and I am addicted. The music is perfect, the up/downgrades are deliciously inventive and I think I hate you!!"

Jeez, I really don't know what to say, baxslash! I'm starting to blush! I think I love you, man! Thanks!
No, seriously?

Quote: "LOL, seriously this is a great entry. I hate to say it but you deserve to win just for addictiveness!!!"

Once again, I'm stunned. I don't expect to win, and I'll probably won't win, but to hear these comments is all that matters.

Quote: "I guess the only possible thing is that sometimes the direction the ball goes doesn't seem quite right compared to where the 'paddle' is..."

Yeah, I know. I added some randomness to the direction the ball goes after colliding, but I think I overdid it a bit.

BTW, I'm curious. Are you a metalfan? How did you like the metalsong?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 01:30 Edited at: 10th Sep 2010 01:31
Quote: "is the "Back to Menu button" in the options not finished yet, but will be?"

No, it isn't finished yet. Well spotted!
But it will in the final version, though.

Quote: "Also, the sprites that you used for when the ball makes contact seem a bit off. What you should do is make them circles, because when they appear, and I can see the box that was used for the sprite, because the colours suddenly end, it just seems odd. I actually took a look at your sprites, they seem fine, so I am thinking that it may be the function that you used to split the sprite images."

Can you explain a bit off? Do you mean not completely visible? And, does this happen to ALL sprites, or just the lightning ball? a screen shot would clarify.

Quote: "Finally, I think that when asking if the user is using a PC or netbook, and asking for the desired frame rate, you should use the keystate function, instead of the input or entry function."

Yah, but this option will not be available in the netbook version. This was just to apply some settings depending on the type of machine the user play's it.

Quote: "Other than that, it is a wonderful game, certainly worth the wait."

Thanks a lot, man! I really appreciate your comments! I'm glad that you've enjoyed it as much as I did making it.

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 02:39 Edited at: 10th Sep 2010 02:40
Quote: "a screen shot would clarify"

How about two?

See how the sprites are cut off half-way? Some of them get quarter cut too:

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 03:08 Edited at: 10th Sep 2010 03:17

Well, I honestly don't get it. It works fine here and one other machines.

baxslash didn't mention anything about half or quarter cut sprites.

I don't think that the image cut up function doesn't work properly, because it wouldn't work on other machines too, right?

It's very strange...

It's even more strange, because on your images, you have EFX that are totally at the wrong place at the wrong time. I see those blue-ish explosions at places were they can't be, aswell as those purple lensflares.
And, on both images at the top, you already have blue explosions, while there are still plenty of bricks, so theoretically it isn't possible. I don't get it...

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 11:59
Thats the same as i get that i told you about when i did my testing i will send any bugs i find to you of course and i'm doing a full comprehensive FPS test for you ASAP.

Mystic Mod - Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Windows 7 Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Dual nvidia SLI 9800GT 1GB, 1.5TB Hard disk
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 15:26
@budokaiman

Could you post the specs (OS, Graphics Card, PC/Laptop, etc...) of the machine you ran it on, please? Is the graphics card built-in or not? Thanks.

@The Next

Did you test it only on your netbook, or also on another machine, and did you get the same issue? Thanks.

BTW, for everyone who tested it, was the 'EASY' level too easy, or too difficult?

Thanks!

Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 16:20
Hi The Slayer, just downloaded and tested yr game/App on a pc and its really cool. Its one of those games thats been around for years but you must have. Well done.
I didnt see any untoward effects like sprites in half etc. but I did experience a few probs in the Options, unless you have them disabled for a demo. Sound volume wasnt altered whilst in the Options menu, but was altered when you went back to the game.
The Return to main menu didnt seem to work at all, i had to press Esc to exit options.
Although i opted for the pc mode, the control keys were spacebar and L/R arrow keys. It has been reported that arrow keys are small and difficult on the netbook and so it might be worth including the WASD keys as an alternative. I have made it so you can use either arrow or WASD in my game.
Otherwise, very professional. Ace.
ps, I found the Easy level just right as an entry level.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 17:42
Quote: "its really cool. Its one of those games thats been around for years but you must have. Well done."

Hey Juney, thanks for your great comments!
Yeah, it's a classic game that doesn't seem to fade away, and I added my own twist to it.

Quote: "I didnt see any untoward effects like sprites in half etc."

Ah, that's a relief! Must be something related to different machines, I guess.

Quote: "Sound volume wasnt altered whilst in the Options menu, but was altered when you went back to the game."

Quote: "The Return to main menu didnt seem to work at all, i had to press Esc to exit options."

Yep, thanks for reminding me. I've not yet fixed those two problems. Will get them fixed right away.

Quote: "It has been reported that arrow keys are small and difficult on the netbook and so it might be worth including the WASD keys as an alternative."

Well, I did a bit of searching, looking for images of Netbook keyboards, and from what I've seen so far, the arrow keys are not such a bad option after all (see image). The controls for now are arrowkeys for paddle movement, spacebar and shift to launch ball/fire. But the final version will have two more keys to launch/fire (ctrl and alt), and for movement I'll probably add Q and D (or A en D for netbooks actually).
But, there's something that I would like to know regarding the keyboard layout of netbooks. Because they are (all?) QWERTY, while regular machines have AZERTY keyboards, right?
So, when programming for netbooks, we'll have to take that into account aswell, not?

Thanks again for your comments, and I can't wait 'till I can play your game!

The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 20:47
I tested it on my netbook and my desktop i only experienced this issue on my netbook the desktop had no apparent issues with the sprites.

I will do the full speed testing as soon as i can.

Mystic Mod - Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
Windows 7 Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.8Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Dual nvidia SLI 9800GT 1GB, 1.5TB Hard disk
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2010 21:39
Quote: "I tested it on my netbook and my desktop i only experienced this issue on my netbook the desktop had no apparent issues with the sprites."

Thanks for the update, The Next. I think I know what the problem could be.

Quote: "I will do the full speed testing as soon as i can."

That'll be great.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2010 23:08
I've done some testing on my netbook (Asus EEE PC 904HA, 1.6Ghz Atom, 2GB Ram, Windows XP)

I'm having the same issues with the background effects as the others.

Not sure if you've fixed it yet, but here's a video of it in action if it'll help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8FVHAhuxW0

I get 20-21 FPS with vsync on and 30-35 with the sync rate set to 60, which is also a bit odd. Not that it's really a problem, because your timer-based movement seems to handle it just fine.

Other than those things, it's a fun and complete little brick breaker game. I like the powerups/downs, and the ball collision is well done.

Looking forward to the final release

NaGaFailMo.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2010 00:02 Edited at: 12th Sep 2010 00:04
Hi Jimmy, thanks for playing and testing it out!

Quote: "I'm having the same issues with the background effects as the others."

Hum yeah, it seems that netbook or built-in graphics cards have some difficulty's with sprites or something.

Quote: "Not sure if you've fixed it yet"

Well, I think I know what the problem is, so I'm gonna post the newer (and hopefully fixed) version later.

Quote: "I get 20-21 FPS with vsync on and 30-35 with the sync rate set to 60, which is also a bit odd. Not that it's really a problem, because your timer-based movement seems to handle it just fine."

So, did it ran well and fast enough both times? That's great news!

Quote: "Other than those things, it's a fun and complete little brick breaker game. I like the powerups/downs, and the ball collision is well done. "

Thanks! I'm pleased you liked it too!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2010 16:21
Okay, here's the renewed executable that should (hopefully) solve the sprites bug. Just unzip it at the same folder (BRIXOID), and replace/overwrite the old executable with the new version.
I did some minor changes/improvements. Changing the volume, will now work on all the sounds (including the intro vid, main menu sounds,...)

So, it would be very kind if the guyz who tested it before (and all those who test it for the first time), could let me know if the image bug is gone, and if you find any other bugs, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2010 17:08
Works perfectly. It's much easier to play, now that I don't have the sprites showing up all over the screen, randomly.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2010 17:32
Quote: "Works perfectly. It's much easier to play, now that I don't have the sprites showing up all over the screen, randomly."

Yeaaah! Whoohooooo! I'm so pleased! Thanks, man!
Yeah, it was really weird seeing that video too.

So, what type of machine did you run it on? PC, Laptop or Netbook?

Thanks!

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2010 17:49
Laptop.

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 01:36
Looks beautiful

It also runs at 35 fps with vsync on now.

There's a bug that happened once, that I've been trying to replicate, where I had the big ball and the gun, and while I was shooting like mad it jumped back to the main menu. When I started a new game the ball was hidden, which could be considered a fun little powerdown.

NaGaFailMo.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 01:57
Quote: "Looks beautiful"

Thanks, Jimmy!
So, is the bug with the cut up FX gone too now, on your netbook?

Quote: "It also runs at 35 fps with vsync on now."

So, did you try all the different rates on your netbook? And, which one was the best experience?

Quote: "There's a bug that happened once, that I've been trying to replicate, where I had the big ball and the gun, and while I was shooting like mad it jumped back to the main menu. When I started a new game the ball was hidden, which could be considered a fun little powerdown."

Hum, strange. Were all the bricks gone in that level? Was it the first or the second level? And, did you use the spacebar to shoot, or the shift key?

Thanks for the great feedback!

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 03:49
Quote: "So, is the bug with the cut up FX gone too now, on your netbook?"

Yes, it looks just like it did on my PC.

Quote: "So, did you try all the different rates on your netbook? And, which one was the best experience?"

I tried all the rates and they seem to be about the same for the first level (30-35 FPS) On the 2nd level, it starts out at 15 and rises to 40ish as the bricks are broken.

Quote: "Hum, strange. Were all the bricks gone in that level? Was it the first or the second level? And, did you use the spacebar to shoot, or the shift key?"

It was on the first level, not long after I started it, so there were plenty of bricks left. I was using the spacebar.

There is a chance that I may have accidentally hit the escape key, or maybe some other key you may have set to exit the game, because when I escape while I have the big ball and start a new game, the little ball is hidden.

NaGaFailMo.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2010 20:12
Quote: "Yes, it looks just like it did on my PC."

Wonderfull news!

Quote: "I tried all the rates and they seem to be about the same for the first level (30-35 FPS) On the 2nd level, it starts out at 15 and rises to 40ish as the bricks are broken."

Well, as long as the gameplay doesn't suffer, than I'm happy.

Quote: "There is a chance that I may have accidentally hit the escape key, or maybe some other key you may have set to exit the game, because when I escape while I have the big ball and start a new game, the little ball is hidden."

Hum, I remember a while back something simular. Must have pushed a button that triggers the main menu. And, the ball hidden is no big secret to me. That was just another 'bug' I have forgotten to fix.

But, thanks a lot for your feedback, Jimmy!!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2010 11:14
Quote: "BTW, I'm curious. Are you a metalfan? How did you like the metalsong?"

Oh yes, Slayer, Metallica, Anthrax, Maiden, LA.Guns and many more have been hand stitched into my denim jackets in years gone by but my tastes are a little more eclectic these days! I'm more of a Muse fan now but I still love the classics (my ipod is full of them!!)

Quote: "baxslash didn't mention anything about half or quarter cut sprites."

Nope, didn't get that problem...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2010 15:11
Latest version (with bug fixes and some improvements) available here:

BRIXOID

The main menu is now complete too, but not all keys are implemented in this demo version.

Cheers

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2010 15:28
Quote: "but not all keys are implemented in this demo version."

What do you mean? What keys?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2010 15:58
Quote: "What keys?"

The keys for paddle movement and ball launch/fire. Left and right arrowkeys are now for paddle movement and spacebar/shift for ball launch/fire. But, I was planning of adding S and F too for paddle movement, and Ctrl and Alt too for ball launch/fire.
But, I'm wondering which command is better for this type of input (S and F keys). Keystate, Scancode or Inkey$()?

Jimmy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2010 16:43
Quote: "But, I'm wondering which command is better for this type of input (S and F keys). Keystate, Scancode or Inkey$()?"

Keystate is best, because you can read in multiple key inputs per loop, as opposed to the other two commands which will only give you one key.

NaGaFailMo.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 03:22 Edited at: 24th Sep 2010 12:43
Quote: "Keystate is best, because you can read in multiple key inputs per loop, as opposed to the other two commands which will only give you one key."

Hum, I didn't use Keystate, because I didn't want to read multiple keys. When moving the paddle, it has to be either 'left' or 'right', not both at the same time. But thanks anyway, jimmy!

LATEST UPDATE:

I've finished my game completely (except for some minor things I might change). The credits page is completed (has a nice light (neon) effect), the difficulty levels are complete (I might tweak them a bit more). I added another feature to the game. Now, depending on the difficulty level, the ball (not the lightning ball) doubles in size when there are a certain number of bricks left in each level. I made the ball a bit bigger too. The fourth song is added, the 'return to main menu' feature in the options panel is done too. The paddle can now be moved with the control keys and 'S' and 'F'. For ball launch/fire you can now choose between spacebar, Shift, Alt and Ctrl. I also adjusted the ball collision. I think it works better now.
And, also VERY important, I've managed to get my game packed and ready to submit. Yaaaaay!!

Cheers

Metalhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 16:55 Edited at: 25th Sep 2010 01:52
Metalhead
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, the Youtube video looks impressive, but I'm getting an error when trying to download the demo in Windows 7.
Out of curiosity, what were your development tools. Was it C++ with darkGDK or some other engine / language? What SDK were you using?

All the best,
Tim
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 18:50
Awesome news, I'll be on the lookout for it.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 19:42
Quote: "I'll be on the lookout for it."

Thanks, mate! I really appreciate it!

After this game I'm gonna take a little break, but not too long, because I already have another game in mind that I'm gonna add to the AppUp Store.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 13:46:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 13:46:47