Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Intel Competition / [Intel Comp 2010] The Slayer's Entry (BRIXOID)

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 19:49
Nice one, glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel regarding getting it finished. Bet its a big relief. I still have a bit to do yet with my game/app but hope to get an updated status posted this weekend, and hopefully it will be nearing completion.

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 22:13
This is really cool. I especially like the special effects, both graphics and sound. The "destrctor" ball is awesome, and so are the effects when the ball hits the walls. How did you make/ where did you get these things?

I found remembering which powerup did what to be pretty impossible. I remember arkanoid used to have letters on the powerups. Maybe that would help.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 24th Sep 2010 23:18
Quote: "Nice game! Was it written in C++ with darkGDK or is it based on another game engine / language?"

Thanks, Tim. Or can I just call you Metalhead?
The game was entirely made with Dark Basic Professional.

Quote: "I'm getting an error when trying to download the demo in Windows 7"

When trying to download, or play? I'll check it out, and replace the download if necessary.

Quote: "Nice one, glad you can see the light at the end of the tunnel regarding getting it finished. Bet its a big relief. I still have a bit to do yet"

Yep, it's definately a relief. I'm still making some final adjustments/improvements, but basically it is finished. And, I'm glad I've got it packed too. I had to do quite some changes to the template Lee gave, because of the files and different folders I have. Well, there's still time to finish yours, and if I can help with something, just let me know.

Quote: "This is really cool. I especially like the special effects, both graphics and sound. The "destrctor" ball is awesome, and so are the effects when the ball hits the walls. How did you make/ where did you get these things?"

Many thanks, Dr Tank. Yeah, that destructor ball is something I'm proud of.
And, the FX are just particle images that are animated like animated sprites. There are several tools that you can use to make these images.

Quote: "I found remembering which powerup did what to be pretty impossible. I remember arkanoid used to have letters on the powerups. Maybe that would help."

Yeah, I know. But in the help menu, each powerup has a little explanation, and I think that colors are also a good way of remembering which powerup does what.

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
I love the guy who says "Toys Toys Toys" when you play the game and get a power up.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2010 02:44 Edited at: 27th Sep 2010 02:45
Just wanted to let you al know that I did a lot of improvements and redesigning of the graphics (highscore panel, credits, help menu, etc...).
Guess I'm not easily satisfied. But now I am. Hehehehe!
The pause and game end features have been renewed too, and for the better.
I have lowered the topscore in the final version, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to get first place.
I have just one more (little) thing to do, and then I'm gonna repack the whole game and submit it. Maybe I'll make another vid of the game with some of the new features and graphics tomorrow.
Here's just another screenie of the Highscore panel:

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2010 15:34
Here's the latest news of my game:

I have submitted it for the contest, and I'm now in the process of getting it into the AppUp Store. It is ready for the beta testing stage. So, fingers X.

I did some last minute changes. You get an extra life at 25000, 50000, 75000, 100000, 125000, 150000 and 175000 points. I've changed the options panel image a bit, the help menu image had a little makeover, the scrolling texture is completely different, the 'BIRDY' theme is slightly different, and the 'KAMELEON' skin is now changed into this:

And, one more thing that has been changed, are the controls. For ball launch/Fire, you can use spacebar, shift and control. That should be enough, I think.
I'll see if I can make a vid of the final game later, and put it on youtube.

Good luck to everyone!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Oct 2010 00:09
Good luck to you too Slayer!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 00:26
Well, I just recieved my first (two) errors.
Here they are:

Quote: "Overall Results for BRIXOID
Fail
We are sorry to inform you that your application has not passed binary validation on Windows XP and Windows 7. Please see the validation details below and make the necessary corrections. Please also see the article on beta testing: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/beta-testing and beta test your application using AppUp prior to resubmission. Thank you!
Test Results for Windows 7
ILU03 - Application launch: Fail
Application does not launch from the AppUp client or natively from the Start menu. A description of the application’s behavior is listed below. If the user launches the application via the desktop icon or start menu, the error "This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" is received. Please see packaging requirements located here: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/packaging-requirements and troubleshooting tips located here: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/troubleshooting-validation-failures and confirm that your app meets the requirements. Please ensure that all dependencies or redistributables are bundled with the application. Please check minimum HW requirements for your application (i.e. drivers, graphics cards, etc.) and make sure those details were submitted with your application. Associated Files:

Test Results for Windows XP
ILU03 - Application launch: Fail
Application does not launch from the AppUp client or natively from the Start menu. A description of the application’s behavior is listed below. If the user launches the application via the desktop icon or start menu, the error "This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem" is received. Please see packaging requirements located here: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/packaging-requirements and troubleshooting tips located here: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/article/troubleshooting-validation-failures and confirm that your app meets the requirements. Please ensure that all dependencies or redistributables are bundled with the application. Please check minimum HW requirements for your application (i.e. drivers, graphics cards, etc.) and make sure those details were submitted with your application.
"

So, what's this all about? Anyone has a clue? I included the merge module, so that should be enough, not? Or, does it require other merge modules? Like these:

- Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86
- Microsoft_VC90_DebugCRT_x86
- policy_9_0_Microsoft_VC90_CRT_x86
- policy_9_0_Microsoft_VC90_DebugCRT_x86

??

Does anyone know?

Thanks

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 00:31
A quick search on the forums for the .dll name produced this:
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=124543&b=1

Hopefully that will help you solve your problems.

Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 00:41
Quote: "Hopefully that will help you solve your problems."

Thanks, mate! Yeah, I think it will solve my problem, as I used IanM's matrix utilities in my game.

Now, I'm just wondering if we need to increase the version number upon re-submitting?

Jammy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 02:10
I did to version 2 - Good luck

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2010 02:57
Quote: "I did to version 2 - Good luck"

Thanks, good luck to you too! I upgraded the version to 1.0.0.1. It has been re-uploaded and submitted for validation just now.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2010 23:54
I'm back with the latest news about BRIXOID. Currently, I'm still working on solving those issues I've got from the validation process. I'm gonna redo the whole process with the security (password and GUID), redo the .msi from scratch, and re-submit. But, on top of that, I'm gonna include an online scoreboard feature to my game, which will increase the play factor even more.
To do that, I'm using a great little application called 'Online Scoreboard', created by mr_d. It's easy to implement in your games, and requires only two(!) commands to work with.
His program can be found here, including more information:

Online Scoreboard

In one of my previous posts, I also mentioned that I would make another vid of my game, and post a link. Well, I'm working on that too, so you can expect that vid any time now...

Cheers

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2010 23:42
Hi all, I'm back with the latest news about my game BRIXOID, and I have an important question to ask too.
First of all, here's a pic of the new (online) highscore board. It's not much different as the previous one, except for a rather cool feature that has been implemented, which is that you can now choose your country flag when you have a new highscore. I would also like to thank mr_d again for his Online Scoreboard application, which he has adjusted especially for this country flag feature.

There have been some other changes to my game. Some of the images are redone or improved (I hope ), and now each theme or skin will have it's own scrolling backdrop.

Now, my question is about the Highscore feature. There are currently four difficulty levels. With the online highscore tabel implemented, I was thinking of applying the online highscore to all of the four difficulty levels. But, then it will be ONLY online. So, what do you guyz think? Should I make 'em all online, or keep one (or more) difficulty levels that are not online, or what?
Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers

SLAYER RULES! YEAH, MAN!!
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2010 01:57
I think that you should have both local and online scoreboards available. That way players can challenge their friends, and if they want, challenge anyone who plays the game.

Mystic-Mod: Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2010 02:17
Quote: "I think that you should have both local and online scoreboards available."

Thanks for the answer, mate.
Yeah, I was thinking too of having an offline and an online scoreboard. But, would it be best to have four difficulty levels for both online and offline, or just have one difficulty level for the online option, and keep the four difficulty levels for the offline?
Oh yeah, btw, the game currently supports 52 different country flags.

Cheers

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2010 02:08
How about one complete scoreboard, but add filters, so that it can display scores from just one difficulty, or from one certain country, that stuff.

Mystic-Mod: Putting the fear back into sliced bread since 4th May 2010
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2011 01:34
YES! YES! YES! It is finally finished. I've been postponing this for way to long, but my game is finally done and ready to be re-submitted. Whoohoooo!
The game has gone thru many changes (especially visual) and also in terms of gameplay (online highscore modus).
There are four difficulty levels (both in local and online mode), and currently there are 69 different country flags represented. Yeah, I know it's an odd number. Heheheh.
Basically, my game is now ready to go on the 'Program Announcements' thread. I'll post a demo soon.
So, it's now time to resubmit it on AppUp, and hope for the best.

Cheers

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 10:27
Good luck - you've certainly been through the mill with this one!

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 10:39
Great news fella! Can't wait to play it. I'll buy it when it appears on AppUp and give you a review (it definitely helps with sales!)...

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2011 13:44
Quote: "Good luck - you've certainly been through the mill with this one!"

Many thanks, Van B! Yeah, this game has taken me quite some time to finish. But, I think it has payed off too. And, I also had other things on my mind, so I kinda neglected this game a bit.

Quote: "Great news fella! Can't wait to play it. I'll buy it when it appears on AppUp and give you a review (it definitely helps with sales!)..."

Thanks a lot, baxslash! That would be great!

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 10:35:34
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 10:35:34