Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Indigo - A DBPro IDE Alternative

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 02:27
Quote: "you're the first person I've ever donated to on the interwebs"
Well than, I am truly honored.
Quote: "An individual filter for the DBA & DBPro file extensions when opening."
Are you thinking as an additional option in the drop down? If so, done.

All the best,

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 05:46 Edited at: 8th Aug 2011 05:49
v1.3.0 Beta 3. has been uploaded.

Hopefully it will address the problem that Qqite and RedFlames are having with the Error Report.

Also have included "Prompted Entries" for Snippets. Basically put '<<' and '>>' around a phase (like this <<test>> and when you insert the code snippet, Indigo will prompt for a new value. If you don't enter a new value then the tag name will be used.

The open file dialog now has two more options, Project File and Source File. Allowing for each to shown separately.

Any way, I hope I was close to what you were thinking Burning Feet Man.

All the best,

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 13:29 Edited at: 10th Aug 2011 06:28
Hi Balid,

Thanks for looking and sorting the bugs out!

Cheers,
BFM

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Aug 2011 14:02
Enhancement Request: Library System & %Directory% mapping(?).

I spent this evening having a think about project management. The below screenshot shows what I assume is a logical way of storing DBA files.

In purple is the default install path to DBPro, and the current open directory is the DarkBASIC Pro Projects foldder;

C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional Online\Projects

Two Projects are highlighted in red, and what I'd refer to as a "Library" folder in green. The library folder would store reused DBA files, such as Mouse.DBA & Keyboard.DBA, commonly used DBA files. The other Project folders store Project.DBPro files, unique.DBA files, media, 3D models, wavs etc.

I noticed when creating a project with Indigo, following the above structure, the below project code is generated;

My request is that a %Root% system is developed so that Projects can be moved around different folders with ease. I'm fairly novice, so I might be completely wrong with my request, but for example, the below could be changed from this;

include3=C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\Dark Basic Professional Online\Projects\Code Library\Keyboard.dba

To this;

include3=%dbpro_folder%\Projects\Code Library\Keyboard.dba

Or even this, assuming the user can define library folders...

include3=%dbpro_Library%\Keyboard.dba

Again, I might be wrong in requesting this, heck, it's probably already possible! But very interested to know.

DarkBasic Help Wikia
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 00:58 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 03:18
Burning Feet Man,

"Prompted Entries" issue has been corrected. I actually never tested with the tag name not being the first entry .

As far as your 'Library System & %Directory% mapping(?)' request. Anything that I do will break in other IDE's. Not that that would completely stop me from doing it. I was actually thinking adding something like that at some point. I could implement it as an option. That way if someone goes back to a different IDE (I don't know why they would ) they wouldn't have to recreate their project file.

I have a starting point already built into Indigo. I would just have to expand it.

On a side note, could you send me an email? Please use the one in my profile. Thank you.

All the best,

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 02:44
Sure, I'll email you in future with ideas.

I too assumed that modifying a DBPRO file in such a way might break it too, but in its current form I find it so restrictive! Having DBA directories hard coded in the project file make it impossible to shuffle files around, I was kinda hoping that it was me just being a n00b and missing something, rather than a limitation. =\

DarkBasic Help Wikia
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2011 03:24 Edited at: 9th Aug 2011 03:24
Burning Feet Man,

I will put some thought and testing into this. I received a similar request a few months ago, so the idea isn't completely novel to me. If all goes well I should a prototype this weekend.

All the best,

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2011 21:54 Edited at: 12th Aug 2011 01:23
Hey Balid,

I have been on leave for a few weeks, so sorry I could not get around to this earlier. Here is some more (Hopefully useful) information.

WER Crash report

And I have also included a dump file that you can open in Visual Studio to get the disassembly info if you need it. EDIT: Here is the link.

I would really like to get this working on my PC, so hopefully I'll find out what's causing this program to crash.

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Aug 2011 07:13
I've been using Indigo non-stop. It's pretty solid, really enjoying it.

DarkBasic Help Wikia
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Aug 2011 01:42 Edited at: 26th Aug 2011 01:43
Sorry, I've been of touch for a while. Something called "work" taking more time than usual.

Admiral MH,

I'm downloading the file now and will take a look as soon as it's done.

Burning Feet Man,

Thank you for glowing report. I should be contacting you directly this weekend.

All the best,

aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2011 01:36
I just downloaded and installed the latest beta. It immediately crashed upon running. So, I downloaded the .NET 4 framework and made sure it was up to date. Still no luck. Here is the message I received:

Perhaps you can shed some light on my problem. I don't think it's your app, it's my system. Another IDE for Blitz had a .NET framework issue as well. That developer coded it to circumvent the error. But I'm not sure what he did. BTW, I too am a DBPro developer and would like to try out this IDE. It sounds like everyone likes it.

Russell B. Davis/aerostudios
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 05:01 Edited at: 29th Aug 2011 05:03
Well, I have installed all 3 versions in an effort to use this new IDE. NONE of them work; they all crash. Balid I would appreciate some kind of response. My system is an HP Pavilion with plenty of RAM and HD. I too am a developer with a wide variety of software development tools including:

Visual Basic 6.0 Professional
Visual Studio 2008 Professional
Visual Studio 2010 Professional
PureBasic 4.3.1
Dark Basic Professional 1.076

I am running Windows XP Professional SP3

I have .NET framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0

So I have no clue as to what would prevent this app from running.

My email here at this PC is russellbdavis@cox.net

With all the hooplah and great reports, I am really anxious to try it out.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2011 23:01 Edited at: 30th Aug 2011 01:03
aerostudios,

Emailing you directly.

Admiral MH,

Still no idea what is going on. Hopefully with some help I'll get to the bottom of this.

All the best,

DemonHill
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Running DBPRo 7.7 with no problems, have installed latest version of Indigo and keep getting the "Failed to LOADDBA" error with code that runs ok in the native IDE. Really love Indego but have tried reinstalling but still get the error. Please advise ?

I have Windows 7 32bit and have no issues with standard IDE
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2011 19:07
DemonHill,

Some have found that recreating the project file with Indigo has solved the same problem.

Admiral MH,

Aerostudios pointed out to me that the same problem he was having is a different IDE was connected to .NET 2 framework. I am looking at replacing the one control (that I know of) that uses .NET 2.

All the best,

DemonHill
Years of Service
User Offline
That did it, strange...
Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2011 01:54
Thanks Balid for looking into this issue. What control are you using under .NET 2? Since I'll build a .NET 2 application with that control to see if I will get a crash. (So you won't have to go through all the work of modifying your code in case if that control is not causing the crash.)

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Sep 2011 03:54
Admiral MH,

After becoming re-aquatinted with the controls that I'm using I realized that there are two running .Net 2 and one running under .Net 1. Yes, the DLL using .Net 1 is the latest and greatest. The control that seems to be giving the initial problem is ScintillaNet. I'm not using the latest version and I've also made changes to it. So you'd probably would need to use the DLL that came with Indigo in your tests.

Just tonight I recompiled the ScintillaNet control in VS2010. In the hopes that it would compiled as .Net 4. It survived the conversion process and being transplanted into Indigo. I am looking at getting the new version out for testing tomorrow.

All the best,

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2011 03:05
v1.3.0 Beta 3 has been posted.

All of the .Net 2 controls have been recompiled to .Net 4. Though it does not seem to have corrected the crashing issue for my tester. So, Admiral MH it may still not work for you either :-(.

One other noticeable change is Indigo now parses lines with colons in them. So now lines like "Dim a as integer:b as string: global c as int" will produce 3 variables rather than one.

Indigo site

All the best,

Admiral MH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2011 23:42
Yeah still does not work. And I have installed .NET 1.1 too.

It seems ScintillaNet work's fine for what I have tested so far, so I wonder what might causing the problem. I'll let you know if I find anything else out.

DemonHill
Years of Service
User Offline
I still get the "FAILED to LOAD DBA" error when I load a project and just compile, not compile and run Any suggestions ?

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 17:02
DemonHill,

So you only get the error when you compile only and don't get the error when you compile and run?

Which would be strange as both use the same routine to compile.

All the best,

DemonHill
Years of Service
User Offline
Nope get it what ever

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Sep 2011 23:49
DemonHill,

Did you try building your project in Indigo again?

Could you post a before and after copy of your .DBPro file?

The only reason I can think of that you would be getting that error is because something in the .dbpro file is directing the compiler to a restricted folder. Which is the old Indigo IDE and the current default IDE do. Which I believe is why you have to run it at Admin. Indigo designed to avoid using the Program Files folder as it is a restricted folder in Vista and 7.

Did use another IDE with the project that is now giving you the error? One that has to be ran as Admin? If so, seeing your current .DBPro file will help me determine what is happening.

All the best,

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 18th Sep 2011 23:59
This is by far the BEST replacement IDE I've used so far!

Balid, you rock dude. Please keep working on this, it's truly amazing. I'll let you know if I run into any problems, but so far I've been running it for an hour and have had no issues on Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

^ Click for my Deviant page!
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 01:39
Yodaman Jer,

I'm glad that your enjoying Indigo. I trust I can quote you when I finally get around to submitting an article for the newsletter? lol

I will definitely keep working on Indigo, though I may slow over the next couple of months.

I like the colors in "Wild Flower".

All the best,

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 01:50
Sure, you can quote me!

I just ran into a bug. I was trying to run the Plasma Demo and it wouldn't run. This is the error:

Error message window attached.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 02:10 Edited at: 19th Sep 2011 02:11
Yodaman Jer,

Program Files is a restricted folder for Vista and 7. So programs that are not ran with Admin rights can not write to it. I will add some more error handling when compiling.

What happens if you run Indigo as Admin?

All the best,

Yodaman Jer
User Banned
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 03:27
Oh duhhhh....I knew that. I just forgot. I thought the error seemed oddly familiar...

Running in Admin Mode works fine. So I've officially not run into a single issue!

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2011 03:35 Edited at: 19th Sep 2011 03:36
LOL

If you don't have files in the Programs File folder you can run Indigo with out having it set to run as Admin.

Through there are two minor features that won't work, but no one seems to use those as no one has mentioned them not working.

I will still put some more error handling when compiling. Indigo should not have responded that way. I will probably add a warning if users have files in the Programs File location.

All the best,

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 04:45
Finally, Indigo now parses and highlights Local variables.

Still need to do some tweaking but the basics seem to be working. Had to come at the problem from a different angle.

Still need to Locals to the Elements list and Auto-complete. Though with family, work, and school, it may be another couple of weeks before that happens.

Indigo site

All the best,

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 07:56
BFM is curious as to what new stuffs Balid is working on.

DarkBasic Help Wikia
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 01:09 Edited at: 8th Oct 2011 14:58
BFM,

Lately its been mostly school work. But as I get time I'm working on getting Local variables to parse (which works great now) and get them to colorize (which is working now but not great). Something else that I am looking into is improving the 'Function Tip' so it indicates which variable your on (if there are any ).

I believe I also implemented your request of the default source folder location in the last upload. Hope you get a chance to check it out soon .

[edit]Got the highlighting for local variables to work smoothly . Should have upload ready tomorrow.[\edit]

All the best,

Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 08:28
I'll test this once it's up on your site, or you've distributed it.

DarkBasic Help Wikia
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 18:50
I have some good news to report. Indigo was failing to run for me at all.

So I decided to strip my system of both VS2008 and VS2010. Other applications have been failing to run for me as well, and I suspected issues with the .NET framework. After uninstalling all of the Visual Studio product(s), I ran Norton Utilities and cleaned the registry. I rebooted my system and then reinstalled both VS2008 and VS2010 and all SPs.

So, I ran Indigo and it worked just fine! So something on my system was definitely messed up.

Many years ago, Microsoft came up with .NET framework claiming it would eliminate the "DLL Hell" that all developers were dealing with. I'm sorry, but this issue has NOT been resolved by the .NET framework, it has simply been replaced with a NEW hell. That's just my personal opinion based on my experiences as a developer.

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 07:43 Edited at: 16th Oct 2011 07:48
aerostudios,

Great to hear that you were able to get Indigo running. Not only is there the "DLL Hell", there's the "security" measures in Vista and 7 that only makes it harder for honest developers.

Everyone,

v1.3.0 Beta 4 has been uploaded.

Sorry it has taken so long to get the next update released. I thought I has on the verge of a major speed increase for local highlighting but instead I managed to completely break it. And all syntax highlighting. So this morning I restored to a point just before the beta 3 release and started porting over the parts that did work.

I think that this release is still faster and works loads better than the v1.3.0 beta 3. Please try it out and let me know your thoughts. I have also put in many corrections to Indent Correction, code element parsing (with a few more to go), and general code maintenance.

Thanks so much to tiresius for the code examples that helped me make many of the corrections.

Download can be found on the Indigo Site.

All the best,

JosephB
Years of Service
User Offline
Balid,

Went to the Indigo site, but v1.3.0 Beta 3 is the most recent download available. I wasn't able to locate Beta 4.

Thanks for continuing to update and provide a great alternative IDE.
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 17:28 Edited at: 16th Oct 2011 17:29
JosephB,

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I updated the Indigo site. That's what I get for doing uploads at midnight.

If you don't get the Beta 4 download this time, please check or clear your cache. That's what I had to do when testing to make sure this latest upload took.

Quote: "Thanks for continuing to update and provide a great alternative IDE."
Your welcome. Thank you for your support.

All the best,

Lost Dragon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 00:33 Edited at: 19th Oct 2011 00:33
It would be really nice if the interface flexed to accommodate the user designated size of the Windows font (at least to some degree).

I don't have my fonts set that big for the size/resolution of my monitor, but it is a fairly high resolution so the fonts are probably bigger than what you expected to deal with.

Because the interface doesn't float according to the text size a lot of options end up not fitting in their boxes and/or are appended to the point I can't tell what they are.

Neat IDE overall.
Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 05:02
Lost Dragon,

Could you post a screenshot of what you are describing? I want to be sure I am understanding you correctly.

Thank you and all the best,

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 05:26
v1.3.0 Beta 5 has been posted.

Several parsing errors have been corrected as well as a speed increase for highlighting Local variables (and no more "blinking" between syntax coloring refreshes).

Indigo Site

All the best,
Craig

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 16:58
Uploaded v1.3.0 final

Change log for v1.3.0
* Intellisense - Indigo now parses and highlights Local variables.
* Intellisense - Indigo now parses lines with colons in them. So now lines like "Dim a as integer:b as string: global c as int" will produce 3 variables rather than one.
* AutoComplete - Now hides if user types word.
* AutoComplete - Updates word list as user types.
* Logging - Added button to take you to the Log file folder.
* Includes - Able to select multiple files to add to project.
* Colorization - Now able to modify the color of the caret.
* Text Editor - Increased the responsiveness when opening large source files. (Tested on source with roughly 4500 lines)
* Misc - Now able to open multiple non-project files.
* Misc - Recompiled most controls to be .Net 4 framework.
* Misc - Combined some back-end code to allow for easy maintainence and reliability.
* Indention Correction - Improved the logic used to determine correct indention.
* Saving - Corrected defect that would cause the save dialog to show even compiling even when the option was not selected.
* Text Editor - Corrected multiple defects around the selecting words from left to right as well as double clicking on any area already selected.
* Menu Options - When selecting 'Open' Indigo now opens the 'Default projects folder' indicated in Options.

Indigo Site

All the best,

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 06:03 Edited at: 4th Nov 2011 06:05
While I may be a bit of a fanboy, and in love with syntax highlighting colors, I must say that Indigo makes my code nice and perty. Don't you think?

Sounds tacky, but I can honestly say that using Indigo makes me want to code more. Well done, Balid!!

A 3D marble platformer using Newton physics.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2011 04:34
Tiresius, but no background text colour? I like giving my #CONSTANTS and my remarks a background text colour, as coloured remarks add structure and coloured constants make me use them more.

DarkBasic Help Wikia
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2011 14:08
Nice editor with a smart layout.

A number errors are occuring that could be related to my installed components. I have .NET 4.0 and .NET 3.5.

First one pops up when I open my project file which seems fine as it opens up in the other IDEs.

Second one occurs when you open a source file instead of a project.

The last one occurs when you click insert keystate, which could be the biggest clue:

After clicking quit, the following error occurs after the one written above

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2011 03:03
Chris Tate,

Thank you. It took a while to duplicate the first error you reported. I hope that I have fixed it.

The second should also be corrected. I found another opportunity while correcting this issue. While most end users shouldn't notice any difference, I should be able to add more stability and flexibly with non-project files. As well as have source from multiple projects open in the IDE instance.

The last one I am completely unable to duplicate. If this version still errors for you when trying to use the 'insert keystate' feature, there is one other thing I could may be add to the install.

And with that v1.3.1 beta 1 has been uploaded.

Indigo Site

All the best,

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2011 17:16 Edited at: 14th Nov 2011 19:47
Thanks for the update. I can open project and source files ok now.

However, I think there is an issue with certain project files created with CodeSurge. I assume this because the following error is displayed when I open my current project file posted below.

It displays the source files in the project explorer and I can proceed as normal if I press the error message continue button

Error message:

Project file:

I will simply recreate the project in Indigo as I am sure things will be fine after that.

Another small issue is the Intellisense feature when using a UDT array; the following error occurs due to an issue with the parenthesis:

Most things are working very well. Nice program.

Edit: Unfortunately when I saved the project file after all was working, an error pops up saying:

Balid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2011 02:57
Chris Tate,

It's not CodeSurge or the dbpro file that's causing the error. It is something in the source file that Indigo is not able to parse. Could you email me directly one of the files that does not open? That way I can run it through Indigo with the debugger running to nail down the issue.

The cause of the last error is most likely the same as the first.

All the best,

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2011 12:42
Hi, I tested the open file command on all of the source files individually but no error occured when I opened them. It only happens when the project is opened so I can't really tell which one is causing the problem and cannot send all the source files, but have sent the ones are allowed to be sent.

I will run some tests to see what file it is.

DarkDISCUSSION
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2011 21:21
How do you make an IDE?

Kind Regards,
Captain Wicker
http://captainwicker.webs.com/

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 11:50:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 11:50:52