Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Frequently Asked Questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I may have missed something (I've trawled the threads about AppGameKit for an hour or so), but I keep reading here that Apple's T&Cs dictate that you must compile on a Mac platform in order to publish to iOS.

As I understand it, this is not true; Apple removed that term and now allows iOS apps to be developed on other platforms. For example, it is possible to create and publish iOS apps on a Windows PC using Adobe's Flash Professional without a Mac in the workflow.

On that basis, technically, it should be possible for AppGameKit to compile native iOS apps which have been developed in the BASIC version of the AGK.

I'd be very grateful if someone could clear this up for me as it seems to be causing some confusion (at least, to me anyway)!
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2011 18:56
I think if there were a problem with publishing to the Apple store through Tier 1, TGC would have said something by now. I have a feeling they have it all worked out.

Caps On!
Years of Service
User Offline
Great question Digitalic!
I am wanting to know this myself.

Will I need to buy a Mac to publish for apple iphone?

Truth, Justice, and the Programmer's Way!
Caps On!
Years of Service
User Offline
Answer to my own question - Yes! Windows to develop on AppGameKit - Mac to publish on iPhone or iPad.

Truth, Justice, and the Programmer's Way!
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 00:34
I would like to ask a question please:

I'm not a very experienced programmer. How difficult will it be to write a game using AppGameKit? Will there be some basic game examples that come with the code?

I'm really interested to buy this but don't want to get it and find its too difficult for me to ever make a game with.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 00:49 Edited at: 19th Jul 2011 00:50
Quote: "I would like to ask a question please:

I'm not a very experienced programmer. How difficult will it be to write a game using AppGameKit? Will there be some basic game examples that come with the code?

I'm really interested to buy this but don't want to get it and find its too difficult for me to ever make a game with."

I would take a look at DBPro, the language is not very different (based on BASIC in style). Have a look at the code in the forums you might get an idea.

Here's a simple example

Get it?

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jul 2011 05:24 Edited at: 19th Jul 2011 05:25
Quote: "I'm not a very experienced programmer. How difficult will it be to write a game using AppGameKit?"

That depends on the game, and your programming experience. So do as Baxslash suggested, check out DBPro. You can even download it for free and when you feel confident, move on to AGK.

Quote: "Here's a simple example

Get it?"

That's a good one Baxslash

Steve Ancell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2011 16:09
@Nomad Soul:

If you're worried about buying AppGameKit and then finding it too difficult to learn, I have an answer to that. Just wait for the free trial version to get released, you may not be able to publish with the free version, but it will allow you to learn the lingo without any cash outlay.
darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2011 20:59
Leopard is the old apple OS, now all mac have Lion
is agk compatible with Lion ?
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2011 02:49
Publishing with the iOS SDK requires OS X 10.6.6 Snow Leopard or greater.

darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 15:07
if I develop an application with tier1 for Apple store and free to download, I have to pay something to TGC or Apple ?
Nokiaqd
Years of Service
User Offline
+1 good Q
wait answer.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 19:40
You will still have to pay Apple the $99/year developer membership fee.

Other than that, 30% of FREE = 0.

darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 21:25
I haven't understood,
why I have to pay $99/year ????
I Know that:
with tier1 is TGC that publish on Apple Store my app for me .
The advantage of tier1 is that you don't pay apple for developer
program
so now the things are different ???
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 22:35
As I understand it, here is how it works....

If you have a mac or you use a Virtual Machine with MacOS X 10.6 installed and you want to use tier 1 and xcode then you have to pay the $99/year to submit your app to Apple. TGC does NOT take a cut, only Apple.

If you don't have a Mac and you want to publish through TGC, you can do that too, Apple will still take a cut of the sale of your app and so will TGC (30 percent for Apple and 30 percent cut for TGC). By doing it this way, TGC takes a cut, but you don't have to pay $99/year.

Testing your app

You can still test your app locally by using the AppGameKit player, this will allow you to test your app on ios devices without having to go to the store. You download the FREE AppGameKit Player from the apple store and you broadcast games from your IDE on the PC to the ios device to see if it works.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2011 23:22
@DMXtra, true. I didn't quite break that down far enough for publishing through TGC, but TGC is still deciding on details for publishing for us devs, so it may be a little while before they're ready to do that.

I can certainly understand them taking the time to decide how that will work. Can you imagine the onslaught of games they will be hit with that are both good and bad. It's going to be a full time job for someone just to sift through the submissions and decide what's worth publishing and what isn't.

darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 12:15
yes all DMXtra says is correct.

but now I make an example:

I want to sell my app to $1, I develop with PC (no mac) and I sent
my app to TGC for publish (so i don't pay $99 for Apple developer program).

TGC publish app and every download my gain is:
$1 - 60% (30% for TGC and %30 for Apple).

But if my app is free whats happen:

TGC publish app and every download my gain is:
$0 - 60% (30% for TGC and %30 for Apple).

the gain is:

$0 for me
$0 for TGC
$0 for Apple

so no gain for everyone.
So noone pay and noone gain.

is this correct ??
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 12:21
Quote: "TGC publish app and every download my gain is:
$1 - 60% (30% for TGC and %30 for Apple).
"

I don't think that maths is correct. I think it is something like Apple takes 30% which would leave you with 70c. Then TGC take 30% of the 70c would leave you with 49c. But I'm not sure about free apps. Will TGC accept and publish free apps?

darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 12:59
I hope that TGC accept free apps , because i think that few people
buy app without trying it.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2011 20:30
I'm pretty sure TGC is still deciding how all that will work.

If you're interested in publishing only free apps, then TGC probably wont be interested in helping, as there will be nothing in it for them, except maybe advertising what the AppGameKit can do.

As they sort out how they are going to proceed, the answers will come.

Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone !

Quote: "
Corporations

Companies with turnover greater than $100,000 to pay $999 per seat. Indies that grow to this level can upgrade for $887. For more details on this please contact us.
"

source: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2295
(at the bottom).

What does it mean ? I don't understand... but I guess: since i'm not a company I don't have to care about this ? am I right ?

thanks...

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 17:35
Quote: " but I guess: since i'm not a company I don't have to care about this ? am I right ?"

no, anybody who's earning a return of 100K plus will need to upgrade.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2011 17:49
Quote: "anybody who's earning a return of 100K plus will need to upgrade."

I don't believe this is completely correct. A private company turning over of 100K (i.e. collecting $100,000 in sales) is completely different from simply earning 100K.

For example if you worked hard at school and managed to get a job where you earn 100K, you shouldn't need the $999 seat licence. I beieve it only applies to private businesses , including the self-employed (i.e. one-man development 'studios').

Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 00:16
semantics aside, regardless of what label you hide under, cross the threshold you'll be coughing up the difference.

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 12:16 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2011 12:25
I'm still a bit confused on how WIFI broadcasting works with Tier 2.
If there is no broadcasting route then wont it take FOREVER to test?
EDIT: If this is the case wont that mean that if we are developing in Tier 2 and want it on iOS that we will have to develop the whole game through Xcode on a mac, and then again on Visual Studio for other devices?

I'm just a bit confused on the functionality of Tier 2, as TGC seems to be focusing more on Tier 1.

Regards,

Max
Mamute
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi guys!

DMXtra where did you learn that TGC will get a cut of 30% ? .. it seems awful alot for the community..

Cheers.

|MaMUtE|
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 14:26
Quote: "DMXtra where did you learn that TGC will get a cut of 30%"

Although I'm not DMXtra I have the answer On the first post of this thread, scroll down or do a ctrl-f and look for "I can publish through TGC", it should lead you to a question. Read the Q&A.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 20:25
Quote: "I'm just a bit confused on the functionality of Tier 2"

Tier 2 compiles to native code. You would test it in the same way you would test any non-AGK app. For iOS in Tier 2 you would be using XCode, and making use of the AppGameKit library. Then compile and test like you would a standard iOS app. The same goes for the other platforms.

The WiFi has nothing to do with Tier 2, and is just an app for use by developers using the AppGameKit to test on various platforms.

The WiFi feature is NOT used to distribute your app in any way.

The compiled result of your Tier 1 app on the PC gives you a native code executable that will only run your compiled bytecode file. This executable and bytecode file together, along with your media, is what you package and distribute for Tier 1.

I hope that clears things up a little bit.

Quote: "anybody who's earning a return of 100K plus will need to upgrade"

Typically this is the gross sales income of a company. However, it will likely apply to Companies, Business Entities, and the Self-Employed. If you are flipping burgers at McDonalds and you are an indie developer, your income from McDonalds doesn't count towards this. If your indie game making results in sales exceeding $100K then you'll need to upgrade.

If you are a company or entity that works with other game engines, sells artwork for games, and your company gross sales exceeds $100K, then you will need to upgrade.

It's income related to the game making business that would count. At least that's the way I interpret it, and how it's presented by other game engines that do the exact same thing.

Worry about this after you've made $100K in a year.

darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 21:13
I think that is different tier1 from tier2

with tier1 you can test your app sending it using WiFi from your developmet machine to your device ( iphone ipod etc etc).

instead with tier2 you cannot send app via WiFi.
I think that the steps to test it are these:

1)you have to pay $99 for apple developer program.

2) apple give you an electronic certificate (you can find all information about it using google).

3) connect your iphone to mac.

4) from Xcode ide menu you can select (simulator or phisical device) and send your app to iphone.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2011 22:01
You can still download XCode and the SDK without paying the $99 fee. You just can't publish yourself in the App Store until you pay that fee.

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 01:17
Disappointing. Looks like I will have to develop in Tier 1.
When it comes down to it, Tier 1 is the much more lenient route to having as much cross-platform support as possible.

Regards,

Max
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 03:25
I don't know why it seems disappointing. I mean there are many ways to work this.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 06:21
Disappointing because I have much more experience programming in C++ than with the BASIC style AppGameKit Script.
And working in a C++ environment for me is brilliant.
For a long time windows user, merging to a full mac development suite just seems stupid. I didn't even know you could USE C++ on a mac.
Development for me solely on a mac will be a tedious process as I admittedly have next to no knowledge with mac.

But with Tier 1, you don't have to worry about any of this, develop on one platform, and it will work with all supported hardware.

You don't have to touch a mac until you want to publish.
The promise of full cross-platform support to me seems only valid for Tier 1. Which is fine if that is what you plan to use.

But to my understanding if you wanted to develop onto iOS. You would need an Xcode environment. After you had finished development you would have to port the game to Visual Studio or something of the sort to compile to the other supported platforms.

Obviously this is not a fault of TGC. It is a fault of Apple's restrictions that Tier 1 clearly gets around with ease.

So, yes, it is a disappointment.

If there was a work around, it would be great. But to my understanding this is the only way correct?

If I am misinformed please instruct me otherwise.

Regards,

Max
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 10:48
@Rampage, could you not code it in C++ and let TGC edit it for other platforms? I Don't know if this is possible and I guess it depends what libraries you use but if you stick to the basics then perhaps it will be easy enough to translate... food for thought?

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 11:13
@baxslash, as far as I am aware they only accept Tier 1 builds.

Regards,

Max
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 11:20
Quote: "@baxslash, as far as I am aware they only accept Tier 1 builds."

I had heard that Tier 1 was for this purpose but had not heard that they would not accept Tier 2. Has this been mentioned that you are aware of?

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 12:46
@baxslash, I've only heard they are accepting Tier 1 builds.
Admittedly they have not mentioned anything on Tier 2 so it would be great for some light to be shed on this subject.

Regards,

Max
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2011 21:00
If they are going to offer a publishing service, they wouldn't limit it to just Tier 1?

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 01:23
Well think about it this way, TGC would accept Tier 1 because it is ready to be ported automatically, and can develop on one platform.

Whereas with Tier 2 you would need to code it in Xcode as well as Visual C++.

Defeating the purpose of a Tier 2 publishing route as TGC isn't going to re-code your game for you.

Regards,

Max
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2011 19:24
I don't think anyone ever said anything about them doing any coding. Testing maybe, but not coding.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 10:55
If I understand things correctly you can write your T2 game on a PC and then just load up your code on a Mac and compile it. The idea of AppGameKit is that you only have to code the game once and AppGameKit takes care of the rest.

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 13:08
@KISSTech, exactly!

Quote: "The idea of AppGameKit is that you only have to code the game once and AppGameKit takes care of the rest."

That's what I am confused about. Apparently not with Tier 2.
You need to do it in XCode for iOS.
If you are publushing for anything other than iOS then sure.

Regards,

Max
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 19:58
Quote: "You need to do it in XCode for iOS. "

That does not necessarily mean you have to write the code again. Just open your project up in XCode and compile is my guess.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 20:26
That all depends on the core language differences (C++ I guess) between XCode and whatever you use on the PC. The AppGameKit code will not be any different between platforms.

So all you'll have to do is maybe make a few changes to the setup code of the app to accommodate for those differences and recompile. It's realistically something that shouldn't take more than a few minutes the first time, and mere seconds every time after that.

darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Aug 2011 22:09
if I pre order now agk , can I have immediately all agk documentation?
or i have to wait 15 august ?
Nokiaqd
Years of Service
User Offline
you have
Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 00:37 Edited at: 6th Aug 2011 08:39
If you pre-order the documentation is available and is sent to you via email.

EDIT: Documentation is really good. Bit of typos particularly with the C++ side of the code but nothing that anyone will get mad at
Documentation has really good information explaining developing with Tier 2.
Maybe if this thread was updated with some of the information provided there it would be better

Regards,

Max
Serge Adjo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 12:36 Edited at: 6th Aug 2011 12:44
Quote: "
Q: Are you supporting multi touch?

A: Of course! Those devices that support multi-touch will be able to use it in the AGK"

As Windows 7 (seven) handles touch screens, will a Windows program, compiled with AppGameKit, support multi touch ?

I ask this because I have a Sony VAIO (with win 7) with multi touch screen and would like to know if I can make a video game that use this 'touch' functionality ? Will the virtual joystick work on my windows 7 VAIO ?

I plan to make games for the iPhone, but I don't have an iPhone !
So How can I do ? how can Test my apps ? I only have someone in my family who have an iPhone but he lives far away from me, so I guess the AppGameKit player won't be a solution in this case ?
My question is : is there a solution for those who don't own the targeted device ?

my idea / solution:
I don't have an iPhone, So, my idea is to start by making a windows 7 based program with nearly the same resolution as an iPhone.
Then, if Windows 7's multi touch functionality is handled by AGK: I can test my game in the same conditions like an iPhone !
only problem is that I will miss some functionality like gyroscopic movement, also a big 20" screen wil never be the same as the 3.5" screen when it comes to use it with the hands & fingers !!!
but the good point is that I'll know if the pickable / "touch-able" items of the apps are not too tiny or too big for the fingers: because this impotrtant for a touch based app !
I'll know if the game looks good etc...

So, is my idea a good idea ? and will the Windows 7's multi touch functionality be handled by AppGameKit ?

thanks...

darzon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 15:25
I think that if you want develop apps to sell it,
you must have a phisical device to test it.
No pc with touch screen or simulator can give you the real
evidence that your app is really Ok.
KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2011 19:14
The AppUp Developers Group (ADG) is gathering members that are interested in developing with AGK. They are listing the devices that they are able to test other people's games on, so you have a community that is willing to help in pretty much every aspect of your game's life-cycle, all the way to publishing.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 04:17:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 04:17:42