Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 02:32
@T4r4ntul4

i be-leave some of that is because of this not being a dll
the rest I would think it is total optimized

saying that part

it dose give back some cpu time because what is not on the screen
less time is needed to deal with the items

to move side ways - is to move forward
Since a Strait line gets thin fast
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 10:31
Quote: "dt as float
time as float
timeScale as float = 1.0
do
dt = (timer() - time) * 0.001 * timeScale

frame# = object frame(1)
inc frame#, 10 * dt
set object frame 1, frame#

sync
loop"

Thanks....ill see if i can integrate this some how alongside with object movements

Ill save up some doh to get this plugin aswell

Max P
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "i be-leave some of that is because of this not being a dll
the rest I would think it is total optimized "

Yup, that's the reason, it needs to copy all the data for the objects to the client.
I am working on a dll version, the basics are almost working. But I'm not working verry fast cause I have 2 large projects for school that need to be finished in three weeks.

@SMD_3D Interactive
I forgot a line in that code:

When I have the time I will fix a few bugs and add an instance object function for blocky worlds.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 12:56
@Max P

thanks ;o)

ever other example run's fine but that one
I wish win 7 would tell my why some program dose not work
instead of just showing me a message saying something dose not work

it seems widows 7 assumes I should know but could care less
that I want to know

windows xp would tell me and give me details about the problem

Arbrakan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2012 21:35
I'm in love with this plugin ! Thanks !

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 19th May 2012 01:46
I am going to buy this as I have decided to load in all my objects per leval,I will have to edit alot of my stuff,but,,in the long run,I think I will be greatfull for it.

my signature keeps being erased by a mod So this is my new signature.
Nicholas Finney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 15:43
Question; I have been looking at this plugin and another called Blitzwerks Terrain, and Blitzwerks terrain seems to have a culling function built in. Is there any differences between the culling function of Blitz and the culling function of D.O.?? Is it beneficial to have both?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st May 2012 15:49
@ Nicholas Finney BT has the culling I believe just for itself... As its a conpletely self contained system...

DO will be for your entities...

But I could be wrong...

hope that helps...

Nicholas Finney
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2012 18:01
@ MrValentine: Thanks! I'm pretty sure your right, so it looks like I'll be grabbing both once I figure out how to use DBPro. DO seems to be an awesome plugin, can't wait to try it for myself.
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 07:22 Edited at: 24th May 2012 07:26
The "Level of Detail" example crashes randomly at startup. I am using an AMD 8-core FX-8120 CPU, if it makes a difference:

Dark.Occlusion does not always exit when the host process ends (or crashes) resulting in the following error:

Quote: "Dark Occlusion is already running"

So now I have to ask: are multiple instances unsupported?

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th May 2012 07:52
@ Mistrel

are you running windows xp or windows 7 ?

I'm thinking the "ntdll.dll"

could be ware the problem is with that one example

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 06:43
Hey Max P... its been awhile... but yeah i must confirm the converter for 3DWS corrupts the texture data... can you please look into it?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2012 06:52
UPDATE!!!

OK I worked out the loaded object MUST be a .X and that means I lose my 3DWS lightmap which only exports with .dbo formats...

So perhaps make an updated or second version which converts .dbo files for DO?

THANKS SO MUCH!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2012 06:59
Sorry for third post in a row [TRIPLE POST LOL]

I need to address another issue... DO does not seem to like working with Smart Packer pro... as far as i have tried I even manually [tiresome process] added the files using the include function and it fails to find them internally... can you please download the demo if you do not already have SPP and test this out for yourself? [I have the full version]

T4r4ntul4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jun 2012 00:53
i agree with MrValentine. i just find that out the hard way.

D.O. doesnt like dbo/3ds files. if i dont add it to the system, i see just my objects, if i add them to the system with OC_AddObject i dont see my objects at all.

is this on purpose or do i miss something?
Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 18:29
Hey everybody,

I've bought Dark Occlusion a while back and I wish to experiment with it. I've installed it but I constantly receive parser errors when compiling it.

I've checked my user account for a serial/registration key but could not find one. Could this be the issue?

Regards Sph!nx
www.mental-image.net
Max P
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sph!nx

Have you copied and included all the files you need? You can check the help files to see which files you need.

@T4r4ntul4, MrValentine and everyone else
All my school work is finished now, so I will take a look at the LoD, dbo/3ds files and the 3dws texture data this week.

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 19:44 Edited at: 16th Jun 2012 19:46
Thanks but that's not the issue, I'm afraid.

The files are in the right project sub-directories of the project directory and they are included in the code. I use the examples as they are delivered. I also use the most up-to-date version of DBP.

Regards Sph!nx
www.mental-image.net
Max P
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sph!nx
What is the exact error message you are getting?

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2012 22:45
It only says 'PARSER ERROR' the output console, but lately all code errors are simply named 'PARSER ERROR' in the console. Though, everything else works fine, except Dark Occlusion. Might need to reinstall everything I guess.

Regards Sph!nx
www.mental-image.net
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 04:15
Quote: "@T4r4ntul4, MrValentine and everyone else
All my school work is finished now, so I will take a look at the LoD, dbo/3ds files and the 3dws texture data this week."

Thats why we love you man

@ Sph!nx

I am hoping there is something we can do to help speed this along for you, can you specify your operating environment?

CPU: [Intel Core i5 2500 for example and also whether you are over/under clocking it or its on stock speeds]
RAM: [2 or 4 or 8 or more GB]
GPU: [NVidia 430GT 1GB for example]

if you are on Windows 7 there is a particular set method to setup I think this might be the issue to which there are a few solutions...

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2012 14:43 Edited at: 17th Jun 2012 14:49
Thanks MrValentine,

- Win 7 (X86)
- Intel i7-2600 4.0 GHz + additional 8 GB Ram
- Geforce GT 545 (4095 MB)

Regards Sph!nx
www.mental-image.net
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 07:21
hey sorry there Sph!nx I was having a huge social day yesterday I was going to come on earlier and say I am busy but, hey thats life lol...

OK so have you installed DBP in the default location? if so have you followed the tutorial on setting up Win7 for DBP?

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 12:53 Edited at: 18th Jun 2012 13:22
No problem, Life comes first and I appreciate all you do so far! Thanks.

Yup, Installed in the default directory, followed the right procedures and documents to set everything up. Been coding with DBP for four years.

Everything works, except for the fact that compile errors are simply noted as "PARSER ERRORS" without explanation, so no real problems.

The problem is with Dark Occlusion. Is simply will not compile and since my error logs only show 'PARSER ERROR' I can not identify the problem.

However, If I compile Dark Occlusion, it does jump to the faulty function in the code, but I doubt the examples are full of code errors so there must be something with the installation of Dark Occlusion. Like I said before, I haven't received a registration key, could that be the issue?

Edit:
Or are there some (official) libraries that it conflicts with? I've got all available (official) libraries installed except for Extends (That one does not work that well). Ohw, I've also got Matrix Plugins installed.

Regards Sph!nx
www.mental-image.net
Max P
Years of Service
User Offline
@Sph!nx
Does it work if you create a completely new project and copy the example code to the new project?
I have had something like this once and creating a new project fixed it.

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 13:53
Hey Max,

Just tried it. Made a new project and copied the code from "simple scene" example. Copied the folder with the included files. Same compile error.

I've also removed the included lines from the code and added the files through the 'solution explorer' in the editor. Same errors as before but this time in directs to functions in the code.

Even though the commands are recognised (are blue) in the editor, it looks like it does not when compiling.

I've looked in the plugin folder of the compiler and did not recognise a dll of Dark Occlusion. However, I ran the installer as I should...

Regards Sph!nx
www.mental-image.net
Max P
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I've looked in the plugin folder of the compiler and did not recognise a dll of Dark Occlusion"

That's how it should be, Dark Occlusion is not a dll, however I am working on making a dll version of the library.
What are the functions the editor jumps to when running into a compile error?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 14:09
quite possibly the first, he has not entered his licence key so I suppose he needs to contact TGC via contact support form... but have you checked your user account?

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 14:16 Edited at: 18th Jun 2012 14:26
Quote: "What are the functions the editor jumps to when running into a compile error?"

OC_Init()

Quote: "quite possibly the first, he has not entered his licence key so I suppose he needs to contact TGC via contact support form... but have you checked your user account?"

So I do need a key?! (I've asked this several times before.lol ). I've checked my account several times, no Dark Occlusion key in my list. I have purchased it and I can download it.

I guess I need to contact TGC then...

Edit:
I've send the good people of TGC a message.

Regards Sph!nx
www.mental-image.net
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2012 14:32
Quote: "I guess I need to contact TGC then..."

yup

Quote: "I've send the good people of TGC a message.
"

sweet

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jun 2012 22:02
Just received word back... It appears I do not need a key. So the problem still exists.

I think I need to reinstall all my DB stuff so I can fix my console reports to identify the problem with Dark Occlusion... pfew... might do that when I really need to use Dark Occlusion and leave it at that for now.

Regards Sph!nx
www.mental-image.net
Marvey
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a question, i export my city map (big big map of new york) from 3ds max to .x format and then i convert to dbo... when i load my map in darkbasicpro it is just one file for exemple city.dbo.. will be possibile to darkoclusion work with my big map? or i will need to have every building in a separate model? if will work i will buy this nice aplication. thank you
Max P
Years of Service
User Offline
@Marvey
If your map has multiple limbs you can use occlusion for every limb. If it doesn't have limbs and is just one big object you have to break it down into smaller pieces. But my guess is that most buildings are different limbs.

@Everyone
The LoD bugs are fixed, but I want to change a few more things before releasing an update.

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jul 2012 18:29
@Marvey

large files take for ever to load and suck up a lot of memory

Dark Occlusion is here to help cut back on the time to load
and save memory

I played a game called "Prototype"
and I can say the map in that game is huge
I know they had there own similar version of Dark Occlusion
peaces would appear as needed and disappear as required
the game ran very nicely other wise the fps would have 2
instead of 60 fps

@Max P

glad to know

Max P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 15:44 Edited at: 28th Jul 2012 15:45
The latest update is finished, the LoD system now doesn't crash and a few minor bugs are fixed, I will take a last look at everything and will then send it to TGC later today.

I'm working on updating the 3DWS converter, but this will take some more time.

The first Alpha test for the dll is finished and attached to the post!!!
Please download and test it everyone so I know the basics work on all pc's.
Controls:
WASD - Move
Mouse - look
1 - enable/disable wireframe
2 - enbale/disable culling

If you have any requests/ideas of features for the dll please let me know and I will see if I can add them

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2012 23:08 Edited at: 28th Jul 2012 23:09
Well I tested without my Dedicated GPU... used my Core i5 2500 2nd Gen's internal HD2000 GPU which frankly should be the baseline these days...

I got next to no improvements overall...

Update rate for DO DLL stood around a steady 50ms
screen refresh stood around 19-20 FPS whereas without DO DLL 22 FPS average...

That was at ground level...

Zooming out above the whole mess and...

The DO DLL update rate shot up to around 90ms

and with DO DLL enabled... I lost around half the frame rate circa 9FPS and without got around 18FPS from a good height...

Bearing in mind, these houses were moving around... I mean like allll of them...

Used the EXE, did not modify at all...

I hope this was helpful and please feel free to ask me to experiment more if you have anything further to test...

I also have a 430GT NVidia sitting in another machine running an old P4HT 2.4ghz I can test on that and also pop the GPU into my main rig [this one as tested above] and run tests that way too...

If you like also I am planning to do a clean install in a few days, I will couple my SSD's together in RAID... [>.<] and then I could do some clean system tests too perhaps the OS could be hogged down a bit as this is a developer rig not a casual user rig... [Which equally it could be said... both systems would be hogged down hahahahaha]

Again Hope this helped... Keep up the good work I hope to see further improvements and a SUPER HOT HIGH PERFORMANCE DLL coming out of this

Keep up the good work Max P! I try my best to promote your product as it truly is a useful addition to my toolset!

I have already implemented it into my Tech Demo will do more work on that soon and release public demos soon after my web studies are done...

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 00:26
21 fps without DO
3 fps with DO

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
28 FPS without Dark Occlusion enabled. Polygons: 1387673. Update: 15ms

44 FPS with Dark Occlusion enabled. Polygon: ~700000 Update: was not able to see - it was altering so fast.
gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 15:10
@Max P

I got

256 FPS with
127 FPS with out

Asus G75SxLaptop
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Intel core i7-2630QUM cpu @ 2.00 Ghz Quad Core + 4 simulated cpu's
8 Gb Ram
Nvida GefForce GTX 560M
4 GB

All direct X's installed

very nice work

I defiantly want the full working dll ;o)

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
If you rename or remove DarkOcclusion.dll altogether it doesn't produce an error. Usually when removing linked dll's it will say a component is missing and prevent application from launching. Newton wrapper does it.

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
Max P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2012 23:47 Edited at: 29th Jul 2012 23:48
@Olby
You don't need DarkOcclusion.dll to run the exe, it is just there so you can change and recompile the source.

@MrValentine, Brendy boy, Resourceful
Those results are hard to work with, ranging from a huge decrease in the framerate to a huge increase, I'll see what I can do to give better results on all pc's.
I get an increase from 70 fps to 280 here.

The latest version supports full dynamic objects (move/rotate/scale) and faster updating (from 70 fps to ~2,000 here). I will upload it tomorrow

gwheycs62egydws
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2012 02:21
@Max P

the FPS are cut by 1/2 when I double the number of objects

so right now it comes out to 20,000 objects
then I take it to 40,000 objects which is much better than say 2000 objects

in the past the max was 65,000 objects and with all the other objects about

250,000 objects is possible but even mine would chug at that number

I built a ini for your dll
it still needs a bit of work since I lack the exact parameters for the commands

it's attached so others can have it

I'm not a high end programmer yet but I do understand a few tiny things

Attachments

Max P
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a new demo with the latest dll.
Changes:
- Faster
- Debug mode, allows you to view the bounds in the screen, with visible objects as green and invisible as red. (not in demo)
- See-through objects, won't block objects behind it but will be blocked by other objects, usefull for characters. Now you can use a simple box occluder for your characters. (not in demo)

Please tell the fps you get, if you do please include the update time for begin/create/check/finish/update.

Attachments

Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
100'000 objects:

Begin: 2
Create: 2
Check: 4
Finish: 13
FPS: 18
Update: 40

Intel Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP2, PureBasic 4.61 + DarkGDK 2.0
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2012 07:33
I got a strange error that d3dx9_43.dll was missing, I have come across this with another application recently... not sure but hopetully this fix will resolve the issue, as this DLL is not inside the DBPro app... oh it was that Image Joiner toolfor AGK...

It was a 27.7MB download for me...
Success!
I was able to run after installing this...

[NOTE: '~' Means an average result - All images @ 1440x960 pixels]

100,000=
BEGIN: 2~
CREATE: 33~
CHECK: 140~
FINISH: 33~
FPS: 2
POLYGONS: 4401774
UPDATE: 220ms~
PIC FOR 100,000

1,000=
BEGIN: 0-1
CREATE: 1~
CHECK: 2~
FINISH: 27~
FPS: 20
POLYGONS: 970937
UPDATE: 30ms~
PIC FOR 1,000

50,000=
CREATE: 3~
CHECK: 15~
FINISH: 15~
FPS: 6~
POLYGONS: 3724578
UPDATE: 33ms~
PIC FOR 50,000

10,000=
CREATE: 2-3
CHECK: 15~
FINISH: 13~
FPS: 5
POLYGONS: 3833103
UPDATE: 32ms~
PIC FOR 10,000

Hope that helps...

Hell_666
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 23:17
Hi, I've recently bought Dark Occlusion, but ALL of my objects using it are invisible, can you help me please ?

Thanks.

Eternal suffering ...

I'm french
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 23:42
Hell_666 what is your distance numbers...

Can you post your code for DO so we can analyse it...

Hell_666
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2012 23:56 Edited at: 4th Sep 2012 23:56
What is the distance number ?

I initialize the plugin with it :

I load my map with it :

And I use this for all objects I load :

Am I missing commands ?

Eternal suffering ...

I'm french
MrValentine