Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / My first UDK work and scene

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 19:57
Quote: "I couldn't find the particles only a material so I applyed the material to a cylinder and put it over my torchs. As soon as lighting is done rebuilding I will post some new pictures. Building in production lighting takes ages..."

I have particles, so it's easy. I'm not building lighting in production, I usually do lighting with medium details

Your signature has been erased by a mod
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 20:12
One last question involving rendering. Do you render in X9 or X11? And if X11 does it make much of a difference?

Your signature has been erased by a mod - no affiliate links thanks
Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 20:22
Quote: "One last question involving rendering. Do you render in X9 or X11? And if X11 does it make much of a difference?"

In X9, i'm not sure is there much diffrence, but for now I recommend to you X9

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 20:24
Why do you recommend X9? Wouldn't X11 have more capabilities?

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 20:44
Quote: "Why do you recommend X9? Wouldn't X11 have more capabilities?"

Yes, but I think that you now can't use X11 on right way. There are some problems as I know in X11 and it's not best yet for these little scenes with no big details. But give it try if you want and send us pictures

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 20:57
I've spent the last little while working on background effects. Got an ship hovering over a distant building, lasering it as rocket fire replies from the building it's hitting. Also have a mortar that fires from the background, over the player's area, and bombards another area of the map in the background. Just aiming to make the place feel more alive and involved.

Might be able to get a Matinee render for you soon, here's a basic one I did before:
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 21:19
Well my card only supports Direct X10 but I'm getting a new one after I buy windows 7.

Anyways heres some screens.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 21:26
Quote: "I've spent the last little while working on background effects. Got an ship hovering over a distant building, lasering it as rocket fire replies from the building it's hitting. Also have a mortar that fires from the background, over the player's area, and bombards another area of the map in the background. Just aiming to make the place feel more alive and involved."

Great, many updates on scene, really want to see all of this stuff.

Quote: "Might be able to get a Matinee render for you soon, here's a basic one I did before:"

We want that render for sure, I already watched basic before and it's great, even it's basic scene.

Quote: "Well my card only supports Direct X10 but I'm getting a new one after I buy windows 7."

My card supports Direct X11, maybe I will now see how it looks like and if there is diffrence I will upload pictures.

Quote: "Anyways heres some screens."

Nice looking, I love the second screenie

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2012 23:14
Do you guys know who is Tor Frick? He is guy that created the whole sci fi lab with single texture.
I decided to use the same models and re-created sci fi lab. Just started and want to know you guys what I'm working on. Pictures from begining are down

In editor picture :

In game pictures :

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 05:00 Edited at: 9th Apr 2012 05:01
More of that level. Haven't really expanded the play area, just worked on making it more detailed with background pieces, like I mentioned before. The ship doesn't look right, it's meant to be in an exchange with an artillery on the surface, taking rocket hits while dealing plasma. The mortar is a bit better, it passes over a building to hit the general area around the busted tank.

Main aim is to get my jeep a bit more functional for the next segment, then start trying to strip away some of the UT3 specific elements:

Have two weapons working at the moment, though I'm planning more:

Just a shot of some fallen debris blocking a road, so difficult to try and do this believably:

Shot of the ship, timing it to see the plasma and rockets at the same time was near impossible, sadly:

Another shot, slightly different to the first, focusing more on the mortar bombardment:
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 05:09
Quote: "Wolf: When ever I try to apply a material of a texture to a model imported from fpsc the material does not show up in the editor but does in game. Do you know how to fix this? Thanks
"

I dont think this is FPSC related. What format do you import whenever you import FPSC textures? could you show a material editor screenshot? Do you have normal and specular maps aswell?

@CoffeeGrunt and Ben09: I really hope I could get you two to work with me on something in 4 monhts ...this however is still only a though so you haven't red this sentence

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 06:13
Wolf: I actually got it to work and I use .tga

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 12:32
@CoffeGrunt: Looks good, maybe little too dark but it's up to you. I like it however

Quote: " I really hope I could get you two to work with me on something in 4 monhts"

It would be honor for me to work with you and other talented guys.

Quote: "this however is still only a though so you haven't red this sentence"

Aargh, i'm hoping that this idea will be done in next months

Update on current scene, I hope that you like it. Any comments ?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 15:48
It's lighter in-game, my screen capture method ruined the lightness, though. I'm trying to set it in deep night, gotta get a decent skysphere set up.

Main problem is that adding a DirectionalLight to work as moonlight just kills any shadows and contrast in the game.
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 20:01
Beno09: That is looking good! Where are you getting the models and textures?

Anyways I won't get any work done so because I am upgrading to windows 7 sometime today so I will have to reinstall alot of my stuff.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2012 22:48
Quote: "Beno09: That is looking good! Where are you getting the models and textures? "

You can get this from offical UDK site, here is it :
http://www.udk.com/showcase-amazing-one-texture

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2012 00:12
Beno09: Thanks i'll give it a shot when UDK is done installing

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 02:03
Any updates?

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 02:11
Quote: "Any updates?"

From me not yet. I'm taking little rest from UDK and waiting for some inspiration, it's bad if you are forcing work. Also i'm learning 3Ds Max and i'm not ready to show yet any models. Let's say that in next two weeks will be many updates on here

Any updates from your work ?

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 02:36
I am about to start a medival scene I was inspired from watching a movie. Movies can give some good inspiration. I'll post some pictures when I get all the models done.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2012 12:39
Quote: "I am about to start a medival scene I was inspired from watching a movie. Movies can give some good inspiration. I'll post some pictures when I get all the models done.
"

Great, can't wait for them

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2012 14:04
Just get started on the new scene after reading a lot of books. It's just beginning but I wanted to show on what I will work in future. It will be something like greek scene, greek temple. I will also probably do the rest of scene like road to temple and some more buildings around the temple. I hope that you like the idea.

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 04:17
Sounds good. Can't wait to see more. I havn't got anything done yet got after school detention . Anyways might have some done sometime next week as I am going camping this weekend. Anyways best luck on this scene.

kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 08:56
Quote: " I havn't got anything done yet got after school detention "

That suck, but it happens to me too.

Also the stuff looks great

http://technowarfareproductions.webs.com/
get free fpsc media at http://fpscfree.webs.com/
http://i53.tinypic.com/2cp9pbl.gif
Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 12:47
Quote: "Sounds good. Can't wait to see more. I havn't got anything done yet got after school detention . Anyways might have some done sometime next week as I am going camping this weekend. Anyways best luck on this scene."

Many thanks to you mate. Under this you will see more stuff
That's bad, school detention, I also get caught in it few times. Good luck at camping and again thank you.

Quote: "That suck, but it happens to me too.

Also the stuff looks great"

LOL It seems that we are nasty guys
Thanks!

And here are the new pictures from the scene that I'm working on. I'm again far from finishing this scene and what is important that I learned a lot of stuff from this scene on my own. I will probably make two final versions, one will be in day atmosphere and second in night atmosphere with some effects. Hope you like it and feel free to comment, thanks

kingofmk98
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 13:47
How hard is UDK to use? and awesome work

http://technowarfareproductions.webs.com/
get free fpsc media at http://fpscfree.webs.com/
http://i53.tinypic.com/2cp9pbl.gif
Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2012 13:54
Quote: "How hard is UDK to use?"

I firstly worked in FPSC for more than one year and then decided to move to better engine. I decided that UDK is the best. If you found the right choice of video tutorials and books you can learn a lot of stuff very easy, but something that you will need more practice is UDK Kismet, Matinee and Unreal Script to make more complex games. But give UDK the try and you will be very happy believe me.

Quote: "and awesome work"

Many thanks, I think that you will be more amazed soon, when I post more pictures

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 00:36
Little update with few more details that are putted in.
And just imagine how will look this first picture when level is completly finished

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 01:41
Wow thats looking really good? Are those custom models and textures? I like the pillar thats broken.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 01:46
Quote: "Wow thats looking really good? Are those custom models and textures? I like the pillar thats broken."

Thank you mate. Models are already stored in UDK but I used my own textures Yeah I also very like that detail.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2012 20:58
Here are some new pictures, I hope that you like them. But there is still a lot of work to do

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 19:37
Here are the last pictures from this Greek scene, I lost motivation for anything else. Hope you like it.

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 21:17
Wow just got back from camping those look great. I really like the flower bed setup. Overall the scene looks to be very much like a temple in Greece. Can't wait to see more updates.

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 22:56
are this shadows dynamic or precalculated (lightmaps)?

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 22:58
Shadows are precalculated on static meshes.
Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 23:13
Quote: "Wow just got back from camping those look great. I really like the flower bed setup. Overall the scene looks to be very much like a temple in Greece. Can't wait to see more updates."

I hope that you get well at camping Thanks and I have a lot of free time in next two weeks so I will post tons of interesting pictures of new scenes.

Quote: "are this shadows dynamic or precalculated (lightmaps)?"

CoffeGrunt said, these shadows and graphics are only preview quality, not production.
I iz Hrvatske si, drago mi je vidjeti dosta ljudi sa Balkana ovdje

Any new work from you CoffeGrunt ?

Also I'll need someone who have a lot of imagination and who can create a good story for my first game ( sci-fi horor/action ) that i will create in UDK. If someone is interested please post here

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 23:19
Preview and production can make a difference you should try changing it.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 23:44
Quote: "Preview and production can make a difference you should try changing it."

Yeah I know, but I was lazy to do that. Will post one or two pictures later with production build

CoffeeGrunt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2012 23:55
Each level doubles the length of time it takes for Lightmass to Compute, run it on Medium until you've perfected the scene's layout. It'll take an eternity otherwise.
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 00:03 Edited at: 23rd Apr 2012 00:04
What coffegrunt said is true also unless you have a killer computer when bulding in production don't be doing other stuff on the computer. Anyways I am about to start my scene hopefully I will get enough done to post some pictures later.

EDIT: Instead of using that flat grass place down real terrain and put some small bumps and indents and other stuff. Also some trees in the open area along with a pond. Just some ideas.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 01:06
Quote: "Each level doubles the length of time it takes for Lightmass to Compute, run it on Medium until you've perfected the scene's layout. It'll take an eternity otherwise."

Yeah, thanks. I will post pictures from higher quality of build later.

Quote: "What coffegrunt said is true also unless you have a killer computer when bulding in production don't be doing other stuff on the computer. Anyways I am about to start my scene hopefully I will get enough done to post some pictures later."

Can't wait for pictures

Quote: "EDIT: Instead of using that flat grass place down real terrain and put some small bumps and indents and other stuff. Also some trees in the open area along with a pond. Just some ideas."

Grass as a static mesh is reall killing the perfomance and I already thinked about that to put a terrain in this free space and put some stuff. I will see how it looks like, thanks for suggestion

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 01:52
Beno09: Do you have issues with UDK crashing when loading in models? It happens to often with me.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 02:24
Quote: "Do you have issues with UDK crashing when loading in models? It happens to often with me."

I didn't have any issues when models are loading but UDK crashed few times in some other processes. Wolf once said that UDK can crash always, so save your process often and everything should be fine. Don't know why you often have issues when loading models, never happend to me

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 00:57
Beno09: Got it to work not really sure what the issue was. Anyways Iv'e started my new scene finally post-apoco is what I decided I have 2 buildings in it looks lame.

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 02:10
Quote: "Got it to work not really sure what the issue was. Anyways Iv'e started my new scene finally post-apoco is what I decided I have 2 buildings in it looks lame."

Waiting for screens Where did you get these buildings ?

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 02:15
From and fpsc model pack I beleive 48 not exactly sure can't remember. Some reason though after UDK is open for about 15 minutes it pops up a window saying loading models then crashes.... Maybe I should try reinstalling. This is quite annoying.

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 01:14
Hey Beno09 can you help me out? Iv'e been looking forever to the asnwer to this question.

When I build my lighting with this road model it says something like invaild light mapping. Then casts wierd shadows across the object. Do you know how to get past this?

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 01:39
The model has multiple polygons that occupy the same UV space (to save on texture size). This is fine for textures, as the same detail can appear twice without any problems, but for lightmaps each polygon needs it's own UV space to store the lighting info. You could re-map the object so that it works properly (and redo the texture to fit) or (and this is how UDK expects it I think) you can give the object a second UV channel that is mapped separately for the lightmap. Unfortunately I don't know of any programs other than 3DS max that can do multiple UV channels - there must be at least 1 out there somewhere though!

Beno09
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 02:16
Quote: "Hey Beno09"

Hello Nlooc, glad to hear you. I expected your screens for a long time. Blobby said what you should try to do, and to be honest I didn't knowed how to fix your problem.

Quote: "Blobby 101"

Hey, thanks for helping Nlooc and maybe some more users when they get up with the problem like this. Really appreciate it.

Here are the pictures from the scene that I'm working on. I used one screen for the motivation and used models from it and I'm pretty happy with the current result. Lot of work still left to do.
Only three pictures because i'm still in the early phase of work.

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 02:21
Okay I fixed it finally. I will post some screens in about 15 minutes.

Beno09: Whoa that looks amazing custom models or downloaded?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 09:49:14
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 09:49:14