Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Build 107 - Release Zero Issues

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2012 23:50
Quote: "Kamac if you need the new commands why wait?
Just install VS2008 and when the fix comes out uninstall it!"

Actually, I don't at the moment. I am just waiting till it's fixed before considering starting a new project

Follow me on twitter! @kamac496
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 00:00
I think a lot of people have put unnecessary pressure on TGC to get releases out. It would be better, in my view, to wait until full testing and debugging has been done. By all means allow Alpha and beta versions for people who want to try things out, but if people keep demanding new features they must expect problems in a complex cross-platform tool.

There's a good Yorkshire phrase "Let the dog see the rabbit," which means get out of the way until the job is done!

-- Jim
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Jim, even with months of testing, there will always be bugs. This is because different people will use AppGameKit in different ways to make things that the original creators didn't even think of!

I for one have put AppGameKit through a lot of weird situations!! Right now all the functions I use seem to be working quite fine (take a small thing or two), so I don't regret having 107 now than 1 month in the future.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 00:12
I totally agree, but now is catch up and stabilise time. Let's ban any new features for six months!

-- Jim
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think they should put in 50 new commands at one go! that is way too much pressure. Just throw in a new command every now and then, but concentrate on stabilizing & fine tuning what there is.

I don't think they will do that though as they are working on the 3d AppGameKit!
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 18:07
Before I submit this as a bug on the issue tracker, would anyone care to comment if they feel that this is a bug in the Tier 1 basic compiler or not.

The following code example will demonstrate the issue (read the comments):

The whole point of the example is the first line, where the variable "GfVariable1" is declared as a float using "as", and initialized using the expression "= 100.0 - 20.0".

This is the issue tracker report, yet to be submitted, awaiting your comments.

Summary: Tier 1 basic compiler silently fails to initialize declared variable.

---
What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Declare and initialize a variable like so: "var as float = 2.0 + 2.0"
2. Print out the value of "var".
3. Observe the result.

What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
The expected output would be the value of the expression.
Instead, the variable will be initialized to 0.
I would also expect a compiler warning if a constant
expression such as this is not allowed while declaring variables.

What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?
AGK 1072, Windows 7
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 21:05
A variable is declared as a global by using the 'global' keyword.

Just declaring a non-array variable in main.agc does not make it a global variable.

And it ok to assign a value, but using a calculated value, like your code, sets it to zero.

I ran a test with just setting a global to 5 and it worked. But both of these failed, setting ivar to zero:

The compiler's parser just doesn't appear to be set to catch these combinations.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 21:46
Quote: "Just declaring a non-array variable in main.agc does not make it a global variable."

True. I'll be more careful with my G-prefixes when naming variables using extended hungarian notation which encodes the scope and type of a variable in the name, as you spotted.

However, for the purposes of the example, it doesn't matter if the variable is global or not. Same problem either way.

Quote: "The compiler's parser just doesn't appear to be set to catch these combinations."

Indeed. The tier 1 compiler is rather substandard in many aspects... which is another reason to go for Tier 2 whenever possible!

(As a sidenote, it would also be great if the compiler was able to display it's warnings and errors to stdout/stderr... and NOT via dialogs. As anyone who has tried integrating the compiler into their own preferred programmers editor, would know.)

Well, I'll submit this to the issue tracker and hopefully the parser will be improved in future versions. These types of issues are likely to create hard to detect errors in programs, which will only be a problem to anyone using Tier 1 basic.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2012 21:58
Quote: "I totally agree, but now is catch up and stabilise time. Let's ban any new features for six months!"

New features will be and are being added to AppGameKit for TGC's own reasons as well as what the community is requesting. They are using AppGameKit as a development tool and need certain commands to achieve what they are making too. Nobody was screaming out for QR code commands but they got put in for TGC's own reasons. Don't forget that AppGameKit was developed partly to make it easier for TGC to write apps too

Quote: "And it ok to assign a value, but using a calculated value, like your code, sets it to zero."

I didn't know that didn't work Ancient Lady, thanks to you I just got rid of a bug. I don't normally use a calculated value on the same line as I declare a global variable but I did in this one case and it has been 'bugging' me so thanks again!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Damn QRcodes they messed all up with VS2010!!!!!!!!
tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 01:25 Edited at: 13th May 2012 01:25
Can't get rid of

Quote: "error C2668: 'AGK::agk::CreateSprite' : ambiguous call to overloaded function"

when using agk::CreateSprite(n,0) in 1.072 tier2 VS2010. Zero image seems to be common for CreateSprite command - issue looks strange by nature

never give up
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 01:49
tornado, what is the value of n? can you test? I wonder whether it is also zero...?

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "when using agk::CreateSprite(n,0) in 1.072 tier2 VS2010. Zero image seems to be common for CreateSprite command - issue looks strange by nature"

Does this help?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196445&b=41

Sean

xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 06:07
Thx Lee, is a good idea to divide the Tiers and different ZIP for the MAC one.
So we can have a light compiled file and light folder of AGK.

iPhone/iPad Games/Apps : Street Karate Fighter - 90s VideoPokers Simulator - Ball VS Brick - CB RadioBox - Artic
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 13th May 2012 09:54 Edited at: 13th May 2012 10:18
ok 1073? whats new? I missed downloading 1072 did not expect a new update out so soon...

EDIT

Actually I missed downloading 1071 and 1072 and now 1073 after removing 1070 I can no longer reinstall AGK... will try a restart...

AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 10:14
LeeBamber wrote:

Quote: "Dividing up the T1 and T2 is an interesting idea. Does anyone else see this as useful for them?"

Definately.

TIER 2

It would be great to have the Tier 2 stuff as a ZIP file, so that upgrading is a simple matter of replacing old files with new files
(without having to use a god-damn installer.)

TIP: Replacing files in itself is very simple, but with a tool such as "Beyond Compare" the task becomes a true pleasure, and using Beyond Compare you can see EXACTLY what has changed between releases. I highly recommend Beyond Compare to anyone who hasn't already used it.

TIER 1

Tier 1 upgrades would still propably need the installer approach, so
the upgrade process for Tier 1 development usually involves the following in any case:

BACKUPS
1. Backup existing installation - AppGameKit folders
2. Backup existing installation - The CodeBlocks IDE configuration

UNINSTALL
3. Uninstall previous version
4. Make sure AppGameKit folders were removed

REINSTALL
5. Install latest version
6. Fix Start Menu Shortcuts
7. Restore previous Tier 1 IDE settings

Plus... for my own personal taste, I also do the EditPlus programmers editor integration:

EDITPLUS INTEGRATION
8. Step 1, restructure help folders for to get context sensitive help inside EditPlus
9. Step 2, Update STX definition file (Syntax Highlighting)
10. Step 3, Update CTL definition file (Cliptext library)

SUMMARY

Yes, please divide up the packages to Tier1 and Tier2.

Most beginners will not need Tier 2 for the first couple of months after their introduction to AppGameKit, and once they move to Tier 2, they are unlikely to come back to Tier 1, so you might also save some bandwidth this way. But in any case you would be doing the Tier 2 developers a great service! (It's a pain having to do a complete reinstall everytime a new build is released.)

Cheers,
AgentSam
MikeMax
AGK Academic Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2012 12:20 Edited at: 13th May 2012 16:06
in 1073, DeleteNetworkClient still doesn't work :p it doesn't remove the client from client list

EDIT: seems to work ... i haven't changed anything in my "delete" procedure .. very strange ...
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196790&b=41
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
agk::CreateSprite(n, UINT(0))
tornado
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Quote: "when using agk::CreateSprite(n,0) in 1.072 tier2 VS2010. Zero image seems to be common for CreateSprite command - issue looks strange by nature"

Does this help?

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=196445&b=41

Sean"

@ Hockeykid, bjadams, great, thanks - sorry I missed these posts It would be better if using UINT(0) instead of 0 was reflected in reference docs, however

never give up
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 18:25
We have added a change log for the next build 1074 (to be available soon) which you can find in the main help page so you'll get direct access to what has changed in 107. I will take another quick look at the VS2010 issue, but it's being a real time hogging pig to solve at this end Watch my tweets for the announcement of 1074!

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 18:28
Is there any kind of timeline for PB support for 107? Seems like writing for PB is gonna be miles behind everyone else

Blackberry App Development & ZX Spectrum Game Development.
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 18:29
Lee, could you also supply complete update instructions, to get the C:/Android folder ready for the new updated AppGameKit? what files to replace, what cygwin and eclipse steps to take?

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 18:36
You won't need to change your previous Android folder. You just point your workspace and/or load the project as normal, you just need to make sure the new lib and headers are available in the correct places, and of course to remember to perform full clean and rebuilds.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 19:00
Quote: "char* string = agk::ChooseRawFile("*.abc;*.wav");"

This doesn't work. I mean, it won't change possible extensions.

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 19:22
Quote: "This doesn't work. I mean, it won't change possible extensions."

It may not display in the drop down box, but the types of files they can choose is limited to your selection, at least on my machine it is (Windows 7).
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 20:05
I don't suppose we could get the IDE to report the minor part of the version? It only shows 107 in the About box.

It's a minor thing (pun intended), but would help to keep track of what version is actually installed.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 20:08
Since not everyone uses Twitter, I hope that (as has happened for 1070 thru 1073) the update will be announced in this forum.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2012 20:24 Edited at: 14th May 2012 20:24
Quote: "It may not display in the drop down box, but the types of files they can choose is limited to your selection, at least on my machine it is (Windows 7)."

It would be nice to set it as you normally do it for Windows.

Eg.

Quote: "Text files (*.txt)\0.txt\0"

Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
Is it known when the 1.07 playbook will be released, I can't wait to try out all of the new commands on it.
polomint
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 16:03
@Jimmi: I'm not sure anyone knows when 107 for PB will be here... I'm waiting too,

Blackberry App Development & ZX Spectrum Game Development.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th May 2012 16:11
From what I've heard Lee is building Players but PB might not be coming straight away. I'm hoping for it too...

If you are desperate I would revert to V1065. The player works fine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 09:06:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 09:06:49