Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / SpriteFX WIP - Animation system / spritesheet maker

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I created my character, added limbs and parents, then did a rotate of a limb and got this: Subscript is out of bounds at line 113 in animation.agc
Doomster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 21:23 Edited at: 5th Oct 2012 21:25
Was about to take these for a test ride and give 'em a spin as well, but unfortuneately neither of the executables work on my XP machine.

XP complains that "InitializeConditionVariable" wasn't found in "KERNEL32.dll" whenever I want to execute them.

Searched for the command in the MSDN and it turns out that it's only available in Vista and higher.

Is that command only used in these programs of yours, or does this actually mean that newest AppGameKit versions won't run on XP at all? That'd be a bummer...

-Doomster

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2012 21:37
Scab, that surprises me but I haven't created a new character from scratch for a day or two. I'll do some tests... Thanks for the exact error!

Thanks to you too Doomster, that's a bug I haven't heard of and I'm using v108 so it's possible one of the new commands is causing the bug. I'll see what can be done. In the meantime I will compile v1.0.2 in a previous version of AGK.

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2012 05:56 Edited at: 6th Oct 2012 06:06
I get the same error also over here on my 64 bit computer.

I still wonder if MFC can be used for some parts of this project Baxslash. Maybe the next version will fix the file locations. The save file I know wont work but it seems like other things would work. I should of made my own save GUI in AppGameKit maybe that would of been easier then mess with Box 2D. The only problem I see with this method is that you can't save things in the directory you want with AGK. Maybe I gave up on it too quickly, and thought Dark GDK would be better. Oh well, I going to mess with AppGameKit to see if I can get it to save where I want too. Most of the program I did can easily be transferred to AppGameKit, because the commands are similar.

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2012 09:54 Edited at: 10th Sep 2013 13:25
Which error are you getting 3D??

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Attachments

Login to view attachments
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2012 18:43
error 113

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps. Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase. Veteran for the military.
Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2012 20:26
Quote: "error 113"

Heh, that reminded me of "Rule 303" in

Breaker Morant

Sorry, couldn't resist.

7RS
Years of Service
User Offline
Do you still plan to release a texture with animation frames ? Or you are also thinking to offer the opportunity to play anims only with a model created like inside the editor ? save all frames doesn't help in the usage of vram, instead if you can use the model like in the editor and save the anim file and use it will help a lot.

I don't think is a problem to convert the functions as soon as you have them ready in basic, is only a bit longer because them must be moved to a strong class.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2012 11:13 Edited at: 8th Oct 2012 22:41
Quote: "Do you still plan to release a texture with animation frames ? Or you are also thinking to offer the opportunity to play anims only with a model created like inside the editor ? save all frames doesn't help in the usage of vram, instead if you can use the model like in the editor and save the anim file and use it will help a lot."

In the end I would like to have a few different options:
1-Save anim file
2-Save sprite sheet
3-Save keyframes - this would export the data for the sprite positions at say 30fps intervals which should run faster than the rotation system.

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2012 12:26 Edited at: 9th Oct 2012 00:00
Update
Hopefully this fixes the bug at line 113. I wasn't able to reproduce it unfortunately so please let me know. I'm still waiting to hear about the XP problem with chooseRawFile()...

EDIT: Actually having started a new character from scratch now I have been finding a few niggles that I'm ironing out as I go. The next version is probably worth waiting for, I'll also be trying to add image swapping in too for that update.

EDIT2: Added scaling to the demo code too now!

EDIT3: I also have image animation added so you can now change the image used for a limb at any time in the timeline

Attachments

DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 17:06
I think scaling per limb would be good. Just a thought. Glad to see you got some time to do a little more on the project.

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
AGK Community Tester
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 18:35
Scaling per limb is on the list. Actually it might help me with a small issue I'm having at the moment, thanks for the reminder!!

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2012 19:28 Edited at: 16th Oct 2012 20:07
choose raw file oh so that is how you did it. I was using mfc lol to get the images. I think that this way might have been simpler for me to do. The only thing is that when I use save dialogs and load dialogs for other things besides pictures I don't get the path.

MFC is too hard. . I am waiting for the next update too see if the load and save commands work. I got to test choose raw file too see if I can make it do what I want it to do.

how do you get a path when you open a character. I guess you just put them all in the same folder.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2012 11:01
Quote: "how do you get a path when you open a character. I guess you just put them all in the same folder."

I am using a folder with the character name, in there I put the character file and two folders, one for images and one for animations. Once I have the character name I can use that folder to find everything else.

I am using CW in earnest in my current TGC project which you might be hearing more about later this month or maybe next month so pretty soon we should have some stable commands and a working system. It's evolving as I work and there have been some unexpected results as well as some great simple additions. The handy thing about the format is that the way the animation files are structured means I can keep adding functionality without changing the file format IE. a character created today should work a good few versions down the line.

Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2012 16:37 Edited at: 17th Oct 2012 16:37
@ baxslash,

A little counter intuitive and very non-AGK (which I like [edit] I mean I like AGK...) but any chance of further adding support so we can use this in DBPro - some functions, that sort of thing? (I can but ask).

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2012 16:43
Hi Duffer,

I might consider adding support at some point for the Box2D plugin but sprites in DBPro out of the box are far more complicated from what I remember.

It should be possible to create a set of sprite images that could be used in DBPro.

The idea of the animation data is to have a set of data produced that could be used in any language (as long as someone has the patience to write a set of functions). I will be producing a simpler dataset which might be a little easier to comprehend and write wrappers for later. This is what the makers of Spriter have done and the only reason I'm making my own system is that Spriter is a way off finished yet (I am a backer of the Spriter project).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Mar 2013 23:31
A long time since I posted on this thread but the project is being updated and improved all the time. I finally used memblocks to join the sprite images together to make full spritesheets from the editor (all in Tier 1 code too!).

Now spritesheets can be created for any animation in power of 2 sizes. You just need to provide the number of frames you want the animation to run over. Normally this works best as a square (4, 9, 16, 25, 36 etc) but it will work for other numbers and leave blanks where no image is added.

Soon I'll tart up the GUI and make it nice and simple to use. Soon.

Here's an example (shrunk down from 3072x3072 and given a white background ):

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2013 18:13
Lol awesome! I've been using the latest version to create some test characters, and having to combine all the frames has been 'fun'.

Can't wait to try this one out.

Inmortalis Nox
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2013 18:20
I'm glad someone's using it at least let me know how you get on and I'll send you a "full" version asap. There is a way around the watermark that I'm not worried about people figuring out but if you want to use the animation system you'll need the full version...

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 06:08 Edited at: 29th Mar 2013 06:24
still looking good baxslash, and am glad you haven;t abandoned this great tool. I can't wait until you release this (and I'm sure I'm not alone), as Spriter is not working out too well for me at the moment.
Just letting you know that I'll be one of the first to grab this when it's finished (and I'm sure I wouldn't mind parting with some of my hard earned dosh for it when it is) keep up the coolness!

EDIT: one suggestion/request I have personally on the operation of your app, is that instead of having to use Shift + mouse to move a limb, that this be possible using the right mouse button for translation (as you have left mouse for rotate). pretty please.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 10:26
Mr_d, I'll make right click work as you suggested. That's a simple and logical idea. I aim to get a working version of this out soon with some finished tier 1 code for implementing the characters in your game. I already have a tonne of code for my current project including rag doll. I'm not 100% happy with some of the code yet though so I want to provide commands as and when I am 100% happy.

mr_d
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Mar 2013 12:38
thanks, sounds good baxslash - no rush (but hurry up, ok?)

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 22:39 Edited at: 17th Apr 2013 02:13
Backslash, I working on a key frame editor in my program right know and I have almost got it done. Well that is to say I work on it when I do not have homework lol.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 23:23
Great, I look forward to seeing it. It's hard to fit projects like this in around everything else I know. I've been adding little bits to this for quite a while now as I get on with other projects

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2013 13:25 Edited at: 10th Sep 2013 14:45
Hi guys, small update on this project. I'm now making this project a tablet/desktop app for creating spritesheets for animated game elements. I plan on making it possible to draw the limbs in the app.

It will be possible in a 'canvas' mode to draw limbs with multiple layers, the 'basic' layers will be Paint, Shade and Outline:
In Paint it will be possible to create the main colour elements of each limb using brushes.
In Shade it will be possible to go over the paint layer with a shading brush (this layer will be semi transparent and be above the Paint layer.
In Outline it will be possible to draw a spline outline in any colour / thickness using a number of styles. This will be the top layer.

The aim is to have a "simple" drawing program that makes it easy for developers / artists to create all character elements, then animate them in one program and easily export spritesheets and / or animation data.

The 'basic' app will be for iPad, Android tablets and Windows and will retail for around £1.99.

Below is an early image from a proof of concept I'm working on for the drawing element (just has spline creation / editing so far):

EDIT: Now I have Undo/Redo working for spline creation next I'll add the paint layer...

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2013 19:25
Ohhh, having it able to stretch sprites would be great for that... like the pneumatic parts on a digger, or the suspension on a motorbike.

Seems to be shaping up nicely, hope you find time to wrap up a beta version for us to play with

I am the one who knocks...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2013 19:39 Edited at: 10th Sep 2013 19:45
Quote: "Ohhh, having it able to stretch sprites would be great for that... like the pneumatic parts on a digger, or the suspension on a motorbike."

I already have scaling in the editor so this should be in the final version. The only problem with scaling was getting child limb positions to sit in the right place. I might have a bit of work yet to do to add scaling support so it might not make the first release, we'll see.

The main emphasis on this project now is for making spritesheets easily on a tablet. I have decided it would be pretty handy to have an animation tool like this available on all platforms but tablet will be the main focus to begin with. I'm re-writing the interface from scratch to make it more tablet friendly and easy to learn / use on all platforms.

The first demo is posted in the first post. Here's a link:
https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/2399562

I finally have spline creation working nicely with full undo/redo capability. Now I'm working on the "Paint" layer.

Edit: Oh, splines can be dragged around and changed easily now too. The canvas area can also be panned / zoomed using my pinchzoom code or the mouse. Drawing should be really fun! I quite fancy making some code to automatically create splines from the pointer/finger. The code is over halfway toward that anyway, I could use the current system for finer detail in the "Advanced" editor...

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2013 11:49
How have I not noticed this before? This looks amazing

Keep it up Baxslash, can't wait to see it finished

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2013 13:28
Quote: "How have I not noticed this before? This looks amazing"

Thanks Prof

Quote: "Keep it up Baxslash, can't wait to see it finished"

It's my main project at the moment, giving it some much needed love to finish it off. I think it's the right time to have a cheap tool like this that does some of what can be done with Spine / Spriter but not all (yet).

What I want is to finish off a useful tool that the community can use and make a little cash in the process. I am considering making it export Spine style output so it can be used in AppGameKit V2 a cheap option for the community. Since Spine output format and runtimes are in the public domain I figure it's fair game to be used as an output format for this tool. I need to check the Esoteric Software's website for usage terms before I add that in though.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 18:29
{Arrives from other thread}

baxslash! HOW MUCH!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 18:35
When it's finished, about £2... having some issues with erasing paint at the moment, once that's sorted (re-writing paint to use memblocks) I'll be nearly done on the limb drawing component

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 18:51
Nudge it up to £5 and I hope for a tutorial included

How soon can I pay you for it? will it be on the TGC Web Store?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 19:01
Since you're so keen I will try to get an Alpha version together for you soon...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 19:23
No Rush, best have it working as intended umm but if you would like an early paying reviewer, PM me anytime

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2013 19:25
Ok thanks Mr.V!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 17:12
I've been working on the old editor a little more which is why the new version hasn't progressed. I need it for Kingdom and another cool project I'm working on with an artist. Both will need the ability to load characters from SpriteFX so the Windows version is getting some much needed love.

New work I am nearly done with includes:
1-Limb select using Tab to cycle through (this makes it possible to select limbs that are not visible)
2-Runtime code makeover and tidy up (optimisation and testing a few new techniques for animation which should run faster)
3-Bug fixing in the editor
4-Better tweening between animations

oct(31) = dec(25)
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 17:22
Quote: "I need it for Kingdom"

The right answer!

Quote: "and another cool project I'm working on with an artist"

Maybe the wrong answer. Depends how cool the project is.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 20:58
Quote: "Maybe the wrong answer. Depends how cool the project is."

Exceedingly as Mr.Kipling would say

Taster video from my extended 2D lighting system which forms a small part of the feel of the game:

oct(31) = dec(25)
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 21:02
Wow, that is really cool, is that multiple sprites being lit up one by one or have you come up with something even cooler?

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 22:02
Quote: "Taster video from my extended 2D lighting system which forms a small part of the feel of the game:"

Very cool. Looks 3D with that kind of lighting, with the smoothness of sprite action. I assume this is a normal mapping technique?
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 22:32
Quote: " I assume this is a normal mapping technique?"

Wouldn't that require shaders, and since it's related to this tool I assume this is 2d which excludes shaders

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 23:41 Edited at: 15th Oct 2013 23:45
Quote: "Wow, that is really cool, is that multiple sprites being lit up one by one or have you come up with something even cooler?"

Got it in one. I have built a tool for creating the specular images and their "reflection point" which sets where the light needs to be for the specular object to become visible. It can also be used to light the object from in front or behind using any coloured light source (which is also dynamic IE. can be changed at runtime).

Quote: "Very cool. Looks 3D with that kind of lighting, with the smoothness of sprite action. I assume this is a normal mapping technique?"

That's the effect I'm going for but no, as The Zoq2 has suggested it's not using a shader or 3D of any kind. It's fake, and it runs very fast. I tested 100 objects with around 30 specular objects each (that's 3000 sprites) and it ran between 70 and 130fps.

EDIT: Also I haven't nested those specular images in with the main image on an atlas (yet)

oct(31) = dec(25)
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2013 23:59
That's a cool effect. I suppose if you wanted to have different performance levels for different machines you could drop smaller specular images or drop them all entirely, depending on the "lighting quality" setting. Cool stuff.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 00:09
Quote: "That's a cool effect. I suppose if you wanted to have different performance levels for different machines you could drop smaller specular images or drop them all entirely, depending on the "lighting quality" setting. Cool stuff."

Good idea. dropping the scale of the specular images would not have much of a noticeable effect on smaller devices. This will be aimed at PC to start though (as with Kingdom). I'm aiming for high quality first and marketing second. I really want to push 2D to the limit.

oct(31) = dec(25)
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 00:34
OK, well I've decided that this tool may never make me any money but it may well help you guys make some cool stuff. So attached is the full current working version. I may add source code for the editor later but for now this is a pretty handy tool once you get used to the bugs and lack of documentation

I'll attach a sample project I've prepared in the next post which has all of the updated runtime code I've made for this tool so far in a single agc file including a basic ragdoll system (Joint limits still need to be added in the editor).

oct(31) = dec(25)

Attachments

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 00:38
Here's the sample project. If you go through the sfx file you'll find the full list of user functions fairly easily.

oct(31) = dec(25)

Attachments

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 01:01
That is a spectacular specular effect!

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 01:12
Just having a mess around with it now. It's pretty impressive!! Already made a little animation with the Wizard, very easy to pick up. Can't wait to get the LanternGirl in there

A few suggestions that shouldn't be _too_ difficult to implement:
- Move keyframe. You could do a Ctrl+drag on a keyframe to move it along the timeline. This is exceedingly useful for changing timings after blocking in frames.
- Windowed mode. It's easily changed in the setup file, but some people might not know where to look.
- Frame interpolation. You mentioned adding linear or other types of frame interpolation? They would be pretty cool, but I can see them being a bit harder to implement?

Loving the tool, and will hopefully get my own test character in there soon

Greenlig

ZacDuff.com
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 02:05
Quote: "Move keyframe. You could do a Ctrl+drag on a keyframe to move it along the timeline. This is exceedingly useful for changing timings after blocking in frames. "

Yes, keyframes are not very editable at the moment. I'll work on that

Quote: "Windowed mode. It's easily changed in the setup file, but some people might not know where to look."

I'll set windowed mode as standard.

Quote: "Frame interpolation. You mentioned adding linear or other types of frame interpolation? They would be pretty cool, but I can see them being a bit harder to implement? "

Not as hard as you might think. I'll be adding this very soon.

Looking forward to seeing lantern girl

oct(31) = dec(25)
greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2013 08:32
Been playing around with it a bit more. I can't seem to get it to save what I am working on?? It prompts me to create a filename, but then...it generates no files?

ZacDuff.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-18 04:41:04
Your offset time is: 2024-10-18 04:41:04