Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Wizardofid's media and showcase thread

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 16:52
I create stuff for FPSC, enough said, there is no real use for it out side of fpsc, as per example segment(attached screen) contains well over 11 different parts, segments is always a repeatable pattern, it is not a single mesh.

Just been chatting to my neighbours teenage daughter and it turns out she's big into UFOs and aliens.

Which is cool because tomorrow she's getting abducted.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 16:57
@wizard of id

Actually my 'very average' comment was in reference to your previous work. You have produced much better segments than this like the sc-fi ones you did which contained destroyable glass windows and such.

I hope you will reconsider the license and allowing these to be used in other game engines. Whilst its cool to see these in FPSC, ultimately they are better suited to engines which can render more polygons and have better collision.

Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 17:14
I have to agree with Nomad Soul, but based on the great quality of your work.
It looks better suited to higher-capable engines (because of the quality and look), but the fact that it can work on FPSC is amazing.

As an analogy, say you built a motor. A great motor, fast, strong, efficient, reliable, whatever. Then you put it in a lawn mower, or something like, a prius, when it competes with motors that an audi would use. As a completely uneducated example

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 17:43
@Nomad Soul
I understand that thanks, however that older stuff, to me again is very average.Did that well over 5 years back lol.To me this is progress,learning new stuff.

Just for the hell of it loaded the last scifi segment I was working on with 15 entities all following waypoints, moving entities give a better indication of performance, frame rate always above 75.

To make another point these are large areas so they are loaded with polygons, so you are not going to populate the whole editor with it, it is going to be smallish maps, the objective with this pack is to create somewhat detailed structured segments.It can be done and pulled of in FPSC I already created the segments that was half the fun.

BTW the limit on my system is 350 thousand polygons, than is more than enough to work with in FPSC and I have a stupid old system. Q6600 with 8800GTS and 4 gig ram.

So please bare with me, during this warehouse phase.Have a look at the cave segments I did they were very very high polygon, yet no one complained about them

Just been chatting to my neighbours teenage daughter and it turns out she's big into UFOs and aliens.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 18:15
@Nomad Soul @Bejasc3D
as long as the floor segment is a separate segment the collision will not be a problem for fpsc. if you want models for other engine try turboSquid.

fpsc needs great model design like this. i myself take models that was meant for other engine and put them in fpsc. there is no real limit to what you can do with fpsc. I want to see these become release for fpsc so please guys dont give wizard of id a hard time about these models.

@wizard of id if you plan to sell them as one big pack I would buy them. this so cool I been keep a eye on this for some time.great work.

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 18:26
Quote: "fpsc needs great model design like this"

Absolutely agree with this 100%. FPSC needs people like WoI to push the bounds of what can be achieved with the engine. You just have to take a look at the WIP and Showcase boards to see that it's mediocre media that's holding FPSC back, not the engine itself. Having said that, there are some WIPs that HAVE made good use of media, eg Toy Art War, but these games merely prove my point...

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 21:29
Any ways enough of that busy trying out different texture combos, wall looks good but ideally a black metal texture would serve my needs better.

Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 21:45
Quote: "Actually my license agreements states FPSC only."

Oh. I was really hoping to use them in Unity Is there any way the people who would like to at least try to use them outside of FPSC could purchase an additional license from you, please?

sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
wow this textue version looks awsome dude it has a old grungy look!! cant wait for release great work

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2012 23:06
@Wraith Staff

The reason for this is simple, there are users on the forum, that basically signed up or left the FPSC but remain active to get as much free media as they can, this always been a major complaint of mine.They simply don't care, which is why I am simply not going to release it.I don't want to sell it either.My objective was to give free media, to other loyal FPSC users.

The moment I start selling media, I will have to rethink usage and up the quality 10 fold, my current skill is hardly up to scratch worth pursuing some thing like selling media yet.Which is why media I have made has always been free, while a hone my skill, till I can get to a stage where I feel confident enough to do so.
To put it simple, without hurting any one's feelings, I didn't sign up here or post in the FPSC section to supply another engine with media.

As a content provider, doesn't matter the quality, working 4 or 5 hours day on some thing tweaking testing and retesting, with an engine I love and used loyally since 2005.Does it sound completely moronic that I want to keep it in the FPSC family ?

I see people don't get me either, there is always some fight brewing when I am around.So to be fair I am just going to call it quits and move on, and do things on my pace and time.I have out grown the forum and users.I am not prepared to content with my ego is bigger better and I know more than you attitude.I come back time and time again to be put off by one or two users, for what.

Definitely not for their enjoyment.I come here to share and take in as much as possible and enjoy a hobby even if it is what people call a stupid engine.Pretty much tired of people that time and time again say "No dude it isn't possible you can't do that you will break some thing".

Even then you prove a point, by actually doing it and then they still complain, or look for some other excuse "You broke it, not sure why it is still working".I don't know why people simply can't admit defeat, tell them well played, I learned some thing today and move on.They have to go on and on, like a fish wife. Not to say I haven't been wrong, I have been wrong many times.

You can simply ignore it, but it gets to a point where you just want to reach out and touch that person....with a crowbar and make a bloody mess.

So I am done.So thanks for all the screens and stuff and the great inspiration.Basically just going to finish off the warehouse battle competition then I am out of here.

Why is there always some one that wants to ruffle my feathers ?
It is annoying.

funny
Years of Service
User Offline
An another wonderfull work Wizard Of Id !
I'm big fan of your work (specialy tunnels)

=> superb
http://www.imagehost.co.za/image-9EF7_500908A4.jpg
bruce3371
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 00:27 Edited at: 21st Jul 2012 00:27
Quote: "I am done.........I am out of here."

Noooooooooooooooo!!

And once again, a highly valued, long time member of the forums leaves because some people simply just can't show some gratitude for people's hard work. Instead they have to complain or make demands, or simply drag old grievances through the mud.

When will people learn that the people who generously donate their time, effort and media for free, owe us nothing. The stuff they make is for FREE, which means it is entirely up to them how they release their media, who to, and for whatever engine they choose.

If you want media on your terms, go elsewhere and pay for it!!!

@Wizard of Id, I for one will be sorry to see you go, I really appreciate all the media you have most generously donated over the years, thank you so much, and good luck in whatever you decide to do from now on...

Zwarte Piet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 04:23 Edited at: 21st Jul 2012 05:26
@ wizard of id, I just wanted you to know what I said. I am not trying to grasp anything. I did lose a child last year. I liked the segments and Loved the quote, Thats why I used it. Thank You.

He will be back he left before and came back. More than once. So it is "EGO" I thought so.

"I would rather make a bad model, instead of pirate a great one" MY DAD "I can proudly say I am the self proclaimed segment king,what have you done lately?" WOI
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 04:24
Quote: "And once again, a highly valued, long time member of the forums leaves because some people simply just can't show some gratitude for people's hard work. Instead they have to complain or make demands, or simply drag old grievances through the mud."

I think me, Nomad Soul, Bejasc3D and Wraith Staff were quite polite in simply wondering for the reasoning behind the licensing. And one person even offered to pay for an additional license for the media outside of FPSC, which I would probably be willing to do as well if all of these fantastic warehouse models were to be released together.

Quote: "Does it sound completely moronic that I want to keep it in the FPSC family?"

No it doesn't sound moronic at all, I completely understand why you're doing it. I don't agree, but I don't hold it against you at all.

Your whole post sounds like a rant against a couple of individuals who are determined to bring down anyone who's better than them. If you leave because of them, then they win and the whole FPSC community suffers for it.

To reiterate bruce, I will be sad to see you leave again when you've only just come back. I've always considered you one of the best content creators on the forums up there with Cosmic Prophet, Rolfy, Bond1, and Errant AI. Good luck for all of your future endeavors.

Wraith Staff
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 05:48
I just want to let you know that my suggestion was just that, a suggestion and that I've always respected you as not only an exceptional content creator, but as a valued member of this community. You've always been so helpful to those who needed it and you've made such great content without thought of compensation. I hope that your dissension to leave wasn't because of my suggestion. I'm so sorry if it came off wrong. That wasn't what I was driving at at all. It's not silly to want to make FPSC reach it's full potential, I just didn't know your reasons for exclusivity. I wasn't trying to push anything. With so many of the content creators of your caliber already making their leave and with your departure, FPSC might never live up to what it's capable of. If you do leave, I just want you to know what a major impact you've made not only to the FPSC community, but to me personally as a developer. I while I wish it didn't have to be this way, just know I (and the rest of the community) wish the best for you wherever you may go.

Zwarte Piet
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to talk him out of leaving on the contest thread. I even offered to buy him a new Hard drive and power supply. I have e-mails to prove it. He is not a stand up person. A GREAT MODELER YES. But don't fall for this I'm leaving crap. Look at older posts, learn the method, not the "man". Maybe someone can buy him a license, Then he can continue. Just everyone tell him he is wonderful. and forget his word. He Will post in 3 months like clockwork.

"I would rather make a bad model, instead of pirate a great one" MY DAD "I can proudly say I am the self proclaimed segment king,what have you done lately?" WOI
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 08:54
@Zwarte Piet
So while he is not looking get in a few quick cheap shots.lol Yeah there is cool off periods, but unfortunately, I always give it another try.It is always the same old thing.

It is not like I can simply delete my account, what about all my purchases and software updates.I will still be here have to do the warehouse battle competition.So hold on that behind his back chat, till I am really gone.I do have another account I made purchases with, that I use to download FPSC updates and update model packs I have on that account and buy new ones.

@Dar13
It's not what they said here, It is always the same damn sentiment, it can't be done, when we finally start making progress with the engine, better shaders more commands, water ect.People look for other excuses.Simply annoying.

I rather just leave and just continue on my own, then I don't have to see the same old thing.

@Wraith Staff
Bud it is nothing you done or said. I am sticking with FPSC, just not on this forum.I have been on a local Game dev website, with many different engines, games and small-ish community.Which has a better tolerable grasp of respecting different likes, opinions.

Because this is a local website, the culture is completely different and what is better than speaking in ones native tongue, which BTW is not English.I am not saying it is perfect website, but if and when a fight breaks out it is usually sorted out quickly and those same people are best buds the next day.

It is about tolerance and admitting you were wrong and man up, here it is every ego for him self and go away.

So I am here for another week or so.So get those cheap shots in , Zwarte Piet, belittle me some more. Don't know what you will be winning, but it is not going to be affection.

Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 13:26
Quote: "It's not what they said here, It is always the same damn sentiment, it can't be done, when we finally start making progress with the engine, better shaders more commands, water ect.People look for other excuses.Simply annoying."

@WoI; With what I said, I was actually complimenting your works, not pushing you to release these on another engine. I was saying that your work is the quality/standard that I would expect to see in other engines. Thats just the way I compliment people. Sorry if what I had said made you thought otherwise.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 14:04
Is this a media pack for purchase or a free pack, I'm getting confused what this thread is with all the ranting.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 14:35
@Bejasc3D
my issue is this
Quote: "Whilst its cool to see these in FPSC, ultimately they are better suited to engines which can render more polygons and have better collision.
"

Nay sayer again, this attached screenshot can't be done.That is what annoys me, you have it in black and white, and people still say um okay whatever.Arguing for arguing sakes,is that needed I haven't seen any one picking a fight with rolfy and his double the detailed stuff, like in ever. ?

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 17:03 Edited at: 21st Jul 2012 17:08
Ill say it again, see if I can get in between the offtopic ranting, I can see why they have busy mods round here.
Quote: "Is this a media pack for purchase or a free pack."

Is this a public product?

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I have no doubt this works fine in FPSC, your the type of guy that puts the work into making sure it does. I think a couple of the guy's here are simply keen to use it other engines and in a way its a back handed compliment.
I do however understand your frustration with the way in which its put across, if there are issues with collision in FPSC then neither you or I seem to encounter it much with segments, in fact I dont recall anyone ever saying segments gave them collision problems, even custom ones, the only time I see issues is with folks who throw in large entity's expecting them to have perfect poly collision, and its usually the fault of the model not FPSC.
As for frame rates the fact that these are segments and modular means the user can choose how much or how little to put in their level and if you want a lot of enemies or whatever then use good level design to pull it off, this is something that's required for any game engine and not strictly limited to FPSC.
Unless you have actually created a game with Unity, UDK or even DBP, then as far as these segments go, there is no point in comparing them regarding collision or appearance. The collision wont be any better and shaders are no shinier in any other engine.
If someone wants to make their free media exclusive to FPSC its their call and that's all there is to it, if selling it, it makes sense to include all other engines, that's only good business.
Don't blame the Id for being touchy about all this he has worked hard and long to ensure his work is top quality and is being nit picked over the value of the engine he created it for, its for FPSC if you don't use FPSC then its not good to come on these forums and look for free media then complain you cant use it in some other engine.

I dont think anyone has meant any offense with all this but need to understand that this is the FPSC forums and people should not be pushing for him to make it available for other engines on here, if WOI were to sell the pack then I am sure the license would reflect that.

It appears that if someone has a grudge or whatever against other members they can feel free to go into their threads and derail them with impunity, why aren't the mods putting a stop to this?
When someone goes completely off topic like this and the only intention is to trash someone's reputation, particularly when said member is providing something of benefit then it only brings the whole forum down and makes it a less pleasant place to hang out.

Awesome! Its one of those threads.
Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 18:51
Quote: "I haven't seen any one picking a fight with rolfy and his double the detailed stuff, like in ever. ?"

I have actually said similar if not almost identical things in threads where rolfy has been showcasing his media.

Your work is amazing WoI. Whenever I see a thread of yours, I'm excited to see what would be inside. Particularly your SciFi media. It was honestly inspiring to me.
I have honestly, only ever tried to compliment you, not criticize or nag or pick a fight. Quite the opposite actually.

I'll say no more on this, and wish you luck for the rest of the project.

Quote: "if you don't use FPSC then its not good to come on these forums and look for free media then complain you cant use it in some other engine."

I could not agree more with this. If you're looking for free media to use in other games, use the forum for that engine, or another place all together. This media [i]is/i] created for FPSC.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 19:05
Thanks rolfy, you said all the things I was afraid to say.

@fallen one
We will have to wait and see.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 19:22
@Bejasc3D
Proximity stuff that I did.Yes still have those meshes in my folder.I actually left that alone, bit of a grinder, will eventually get back to that pack, it needs more detail, wasn't happy with that so I moved on to learn other stuff. If you haven't notice structural depth and alpha based models.Then I really want to go back to the sewer.

If any one is wondering, I have tested every segment created so far in X10, so there will finally be some thing for X10
Just have to decide if I am staying or going, But I think I am just going to start ignoring people, the end

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2012 19:50 Edited at: 21st Jul 2012 20:21
Any ways to move forward.

Reason why I prefer higher polygon count and smaller maps.In certain circumstances I would use the lower detail.But it looks horrible.
Basically the difference between using, 12, 24 and 300 polygons.To be honest it looks perfectly horrid.

Any ways I put scifi warehouse on a diet, reduced the bar frequency a bit, but also added the foot support and grey support bars and indented it a bit, still want to add one or two things.Might change the girders a bit.But both version will be available.

*Edit* To prove point....FPSC has no problem with high polygons.The full length of the grid and above 80 frames, I think it is pretty awesome.

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow! This is great Wiz! Sorry for your troubles here. You have a very unique eye for segments for fpsc and would enjoy to see more from you. No pressure.

If you need me just look to the stars.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 00:56
@wizard of id

The models you've put together are great, there is no question these look fantastic in FPSC so congratulations on your hard work.

On the subject of other engines, I think the FPSC forum needs to evolve and to be a little more open to the idea of using content originally created for FPSC in other products.

I don't think this devalues your work or FPSC in anyway but we have to look at the facts. A lot of good people have moved on and there is really only a handful of experienced members supporting the FPSC community now.

This is partially due to the fact FPSC used to be on the only option for bedroom / indie developers to create an FPS game but there are free versions of Unity and UDK now which solve a lot of problems for people.

I've had a lot of success getting FPSC media into other engines and I see that as a positive thing. To be honest I mostly come here to get media for other projects these days but still consider myself to be a part of the community. I don't expect anything for free but there is a lot of high quality media released here which is and the contributions I've made have been free.

Looking at your screenshot you have 470k+ polygons and 4 out of the 5 resource meters are maxed out. Once you've added entities, enemies, guns and such here I have doubts that you could expect a playable or stable gameplay experience. Of course you can put a complete scene demo together and prove me wrong.

FPSC is hands down the best game engine a person can start with to make a FPS but as you become more experienced you realise the skills you've acquired can be easily transferred into other engines and its only natural to want to experiment and see what you can get out of them.

Ultimately the model license is your call and if you keep it exclusive to FPSC thats absolutely fine. Long term I don't think thats going to be the future of this engine or community though.

Keep up the good work and please think about releasing those older sci-fi corridors you did they were really good.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 03:36
Quote: "Looking at your screenshot you have 470k+ polygons and 4 out of the 5 resource meters are maxed out. Once you've added entities, enemies, guns and such here I have doubts that you could expect a playable or stable gameplay experience. Of course you can put a complete scene demo together and prove me wrong"
I knew you were going to say that, had a funny feeling as well that you hadn't used the engine in awhile.So I did just that add entities, guns and had my self a little sausage fest. At the lowest point 37 frames, with all entities active.Which actually jump to over 500K in polygons.No need load a demo to prove the point, you can do it on your own with the media, of course in fpsc only or if you buy it you can use it as you see fit.

Quote: "This is partially due to the fact FPSC used to be on the only option for bedroom / indie developers to create an FPS game but there are free versions of Unity and UDK now which solve a lot of problems for people."
Actually before there was game studio A6, for about the price of Fpsc, you could get the standard edition.Which I actually used for a while.Before A6 was A5 and A4.I have be doing this since back in 2001, There were a few options available, the genesis engine comes to mind, and a engine that was coded in java I think.This all before FPSC.

Actually about any one would tell you that the resource monitor is broken, and works when it feel likes it.I can have a segment only screenshot of 25k polygons and those graphs will be maxed out even with out a single entity, which still maxes out the entity logic bar.So no try again with the as soon as you add entities argument, as that doesn't work any more.

Quote: "I've had a lot of success getting FPSC media into other engines and I see that as a positive thing. To be honest I mostly come here to get media for other projects these days but still consider myself to be a part of the community. I don't expect anything for free but there is a lot of high quality media released here which is and the contributions I've made have been free."
Yet you come here? Do you blame me for acting like an ass then.Unity and UDK should have plenty of media as well for your use then, or is it having to pay $60+ for some thing too much.

You openly admit to using FPSC for nothing more than media, and still ask why I have a stupid license agreement for FPSC only and get upset when people ask to use it else where.I have complained before on the free media abuse topic.Which is the last straw, for free media.I am not going to spend 3 months or more on project to see it whisked away to another engine by people who openly admit to sticking around for free media, sticking around and paying for official media on the other hand is another story.

thanks for playing

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 05:49
Nothing much to say... Can we all get back on topic and let the creator decide what he wants to do with HIS media? Frankly as a modeller to some capacity myself I know how annoying it is when I say something and people just feel the need to keep questioning it. First off WID is being generous enough to even consider releasing these...

I think we should all just leave him alone. Back to C&C anyone?

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 05:52
Quote: " or is it having to pay $60+ for some thing too much."

Nomad Soul has paid for FPSC x9 (and FPSC x10 IIRC), so that comment is uncalled for.

Quote: "I knew you were going to say that, had a funny feeling as well that you hadn't used the engine in awhile.So I did just that add entities, guns and had my self a little sausage fest. At the lowest point 37 frames, with all entities active.Which actually jump to over 500K in polygons."

What are your hardware specs? Frames per second without any context mean nothing, for all we know you could be running with a GTX690 and Core i7 Ivy Bridge.

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 05:55 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 13:34
@wizard of id

I've not used FPSC for any development work this year but having used FPSC for the last 5 years I felt it was time to start looking at some other options and its been a very positive experience. I'm actually working on a mobile game at the moment and FPSC media is brilliant for that.

The last version of FPSC I used was v118 so I'll probably take another look when v120 final is released. Its looking positive the latest version is focusing on performance and stability but not great to hear the resource monitor is broken.

I don't look at media as being engine specific. If I can use content to good effect in a game and it serves a purpose it shouldn't really matter providing it hasn't been obtained illegally or breaking licenses.

I've paid for a lot of FPSC media over the last few years, both for official model packs, the TGC store and from FPSC members websites. In most cases the creators don't mind their content being used in other engines.

I can understand you charging for your models to make a stand against people who only visit the forums for free media but making it exclusive to FPSC only limits your own customer base. If someone is willing to pay for your media they should be able to use it as they wish. I think you are fighting the wrong battle here my friend

Quote: "Nomad Soul has paid for FPSC x9 (and FPSC x10 IIRC), so that comment is uncalled for."

Thats true I purchased X9 and X10 so I'm perfectly happy to spend my cash with TGC!

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 05:59
Quote: "I think you are fighting the wrong battle here my friend"

Though I commented above I'm afraid I have to agree with Nomad Soul here.

Cheers,
Anayar

For KeithC
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 09:23
@Dar13
No it is not uncalled for, media outside of our little realm, is a lot more expensive, hell even some of the times not even textured.
Some times with not even a 3rd of the content, so no He paid for X9 and X10, that still doesn't give him the right, to raid our free content creators here.

Quote: "What are your hardware specs?Frames per second without any context mean nothing, for all we know you could be running with a GTX690 and Core i7 Ivy Bridge.[/quote}]
q6600, 4 gig ram and 8800GTS, Actually that is another point, so your telling me you haven't pushed the engine to that extreme.Ironically enough I do this with every segment I do, I go crazy with it and test performance you don't normally see it.

Actually irrespective of hardware you will eventually get to a point that it doesn't matter which CPU/GPU you are using you are still going to get 37 frames. I actually taken a fraps video, but don't have the bandwidth right now to up load it,

[quote]I've paid for a lot of FPSC media over the last few years, both for official model packs, the TGC store and from FPSC members websites. In most cases the creators don't mind their content being used in other engine"
Which was the point I made, official paid media is another story.Meaning they are licensed for that, free media is a whole other issue.Knowing actively that there are people here just for that is scary.

Mobile development,I have seen this before, does a decent enough job.Look it is not a personal issue against you, it is a general feeling against any one here with other motives.

Quote: "I don't look at media as being engine specific. If I can use content to good effect in a game and it serves a purpose it shouldn't really matter providing it hasn't been obtained illegally or breaking licenses."
Actually people need to step outside of this forum, and see how royalty free media work on the outside.Then come back and still say to my face I am being an idiot.
Media is being under sold on this forum why, you can't exactly have media costing more than the engine, now can you.How come you avoided the unity and UDK paid media subject. FPSC file formats it's hardly standard these days and is actually limited to some extent it is a poor excuse.

I am not angry you left FPSC,I am angry that guys supplying media get little or no respect.Do you have any idea, how difficult it is to model custom segments, do you have any idea how long some projects take.

Quote: "I can understand you charging for your models to make a stand against people who only visit the forums for free media but making it exclusive to FPSC only limits your own customer base"
I create segments? Lets see, how in the world is that limiting ? I create stuff for the engine you should be able to create with unity's or udk's 3D level editor.

So no I am making segments which is a specific task unique to FPSC, which will have no use other than stripping out the sections the 3D level editor can't actually make. So no I am not limiting my customer base, I am targeting a untapped area of FPSC and a weak point, I say I am pretty spot on.

All I am asking is to respect my right to do with the media as I please, whether it is available for purchase or free.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 10:29
Let’s tell you a little about content creation.
3D modeling program.
Well it can be anything you want really and the costs for that is what you can afford. Now I chose Softimage XSI 7, which at the time I could afford. I chose it because of the simple editor layout and is very close to a 3D level editor layout, which made me feel right at home.

Textures and texture editing.
I am luckily enough to have found a website that supports what we do with FPSC creator, so far that hasn’t cost me a sent. However these textures needs to be edited made seamless. So that meant getting a texture editor. Gimp does a pretty awesome job at that, but is limited. In order to get these textures seamless and working, I got hold of pixplant awhile back, which does and awesome job, if you didn’t know it yet it is a commercial product.

Time spend
I spend about 4 or 5 days on complex segments and a day or two on less complex segments. I have already spent nearly a month on the current segments. So a lot of time has gone into this project .That can hardly be put into perspective on costs alone.

Content creators on this forum, currently looses more money than what they gain by selling media as official packs and privately. Get little respect, gets insulted and nitpicked when they try and protect their media. A good example would be I asked bond1 awhile back if I could include his free PS3 shader in a pack I was getting ready to sell.
He said no and I respected that he is trying to protect his work, even if it was free and every one had the shader on hand. Even now I do not include his awesome free shader in free packs. Rather just make all the texture maps and tell everyone made used of that shader.
So when I go and try and protect free media, I get attacked from all corners. Why is that? I have as much right as you do.
TGC is very, very lenient with their usage license and this is costing them big, big money. They do this because they believe in affordable game development software and media for everyone. From all the media that has been done on this forum, I have made a total of 5 dollars, for private work for a member, who is long gone. So out of having spend 1000’s of dollars over the years, I have gained pretty much nothing in return, but hatred, dissing and constant battering because I do not follow the rest of the flock, and that is uncalled for.
Go and make a turn at garage games and have a look at how much it will cost you to get the engine and then you still have to buy the plug-ins and buy the media and what limitations they put on their software.
If you still want to nitpick my limitations, then you need to search more and see what media costs outside the TGC realm. Trust me it is an eye opening experience.
To make it clear I provide free media to FPSC, because I support FPSC, but if you still want to use it elsewhere then you more than welcome to use it outside of FPSC but then I charge what you would pay outside of the FPSC and all the licensing that entails .Fair enough ?

Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 13:34 Edited at: 22nd Jul 2012 13:36
Quote: "To make it clear I provide free media to FPSC, because I support FPSC, but if you still want to use it elsewhere then you more than welcome to use it outside of FPSC but then I charge what you would pay outside of the FPSC and all the licensing that entails .Fair enough ?"

I take it you are aware there is free media available for the other engines right! I agree that models on services like turbosquid can be quite expensive but I don't buy them. Part of the fun of game development is hunting around for media and trying to get it for a good price!

I totally agree with you that people shouldn't expect to get things for free and you should charge what you feel is a fair price. I just think this is a seperate issue from people using media in other engines.

Just because someone decides to use Unity or UDK it doesn't mean they have lots of money. The standard versions of these products are free whereas FPSC still costs $50. In most cases people are trying to make game development more accessible to people, not just TGC.

Anyway, I wish you luck with these models regardless of the license. I'm sure a lot of people will purchase them if you sell them. Its also great that you are giving your time and effort to support the FPSC community.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 14:50
Wow, this thread has got wildly off topic!

Personally I feel creators can do what they want with licensing. They've invested the time and effort so they have the right to charge or restrict whatever they want.

Anyway, this stuff looks great WOI. I am a little worried about performed when this level is populated with characters and particles, but until this is proven to be a problem I'd say everything looks pretty sweet.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 17:32
In the image with the pillars that uses a 'flat tex' not 'model', you can see the back faces dont show the tex, you can get round that issue, well could back when I used to use the unreal engine 10 years back, by using flat sheets, you may have to leave a very slight gap so they dont quite touch at the corners. Its been nearly a decade since I used to work around that problem, but I know it works, have a fiddle with it, I used to use masked textures a lot back in the day.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 18:24
As every one knows I am bandwidth limited.So the video quality isn't the best, but you can clearly see no apparent cliches and frame rate is stable it at one stage reaches 29 frames, and as I progressed steadily climbed to the 42 range mark.Had all the entities spawn at once and that is with the fraps overhead.

Point is to prove you can do 500 thousand polygons, without any hassles.It is unlikely you will be painting the whole editor with this.

So I don't see how this will be a problem.Now I double dare you to find another excuse ?If you have trouble seeing the frame rate, just minimize and move closer to the screen.

There were enough AI in this area, to keep the player busy so it wasn't just one or two AI.

now if you really want I can add more entities, but I proved my point already the area was populated enough.

However with that said, not every person is going to be able to run this at decent frame rates.So you will at least have to match my system, it is sad, but the same thing happened with metro theater, a decent system was needed for it.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jul 2012 23:34
Can a mod kindly lock, all previous commitments are done.I am done, cheers.

michael x
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2012 01:02 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2012 01:03
damn it a shame to.well it looks great wizard of id hope you change your mind in the future. but i agree you have the right to limit it to fpsc. a fpsc exclusive models is a good thing to the software. xbox has games that come exclusive to it and only for xbox. so does playstation. you want to support fpsc by give it models that you cant get nowhere else at the some time it break the limits of fpsc. show us we can do more with this software. I mean it like taking bond1 shaders and using them in other engines. people down fpsc for so long and take model form it and put them in other engines. so I for one can understand your commitment to fpsc. plus people on here put out free stuff and license agreement says you cant use it commercial unless you have permission. by the way fpsc is not $50 anymore or has a sale price.lol

more than what meets the eye

Welcome to SciFi Summer
sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
wizard of id this media looks awsome i hope you still release it you have my money

anayar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2012 17:35
...just wow.

Anayar.

For KeithC
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2012 22:29
Thread Locked

This thread has been locked for the following reason: Author's Request

AUP Section 3.17 ...Moderators shall, at their discretion, determine what constitutes a violation of these terms, along with generally accepted netiquette standards, and can take action against those who violate these rules.

If you contributed to the reason for locking, you may now find yourself on moderation, or in extreme cases a ban.

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 19:41
Unlocked at author's request.

-Keith

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 21:30 Edited at: 1st Sep 2012 21:33
Hello guys.
If you don't know already, you can read up here.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=199832&b=21

As going forward with the media that has been created.I have done some extensive testing.Segment based using a test game the segments works fine as it's only the roof and walls that contain meshes larger than 100 x 100 which generally don't affect collision with AI.

But doing a build game the collision goes out the door and apparently AI get stuck in the floor.

The tunnels segments never had this issue, so it's a problem with it being multi-mesh.

So I have to scrap it completely and redesign.So while a formulate a new plan of action,(Using entity based multi-mesh will be silly for user placement,so I have to strip down the detail a bit to get it more user friendly). I will be working on a few more cave designs for the store, 5 caves are hardly enough.

I previously never released the additional content for the proximity pack, so will be getting that ready as well.I have also completed the revamp of concrete tunnels.

So will upload screens of that soon enough.
sic1ne
Years of Service
User Offline
i so cant wait for ur stuff man your models are top notch great work!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 07:17:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 07:17:09