Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Hands On AGK BASIC (Book)

Author
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2013 16:42
The first question is whether your shape has any concave areas. If it does, then you cannot use the AddSpriteShapePolygon command. It only works on shapes that are wholly convex.

You use multiple calls and can only have up to 12 points. You add each pair of points in the order they should be 'drawn'. When you add the last point, it will automagically be connected to the first.

Each call to AddSpriteShapePolygon contains the total number of points and the index for the point being provided. (Theoretically you could add them in any order because of the index.)

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2013 23:20 Edited at: 16th Jan 2013 23:21
Bstebbs, take a look at my ShapeUp tool. It might help in your understanding box 2d shape creation. Shapes need to be created in a clockwise manner without any concave areas. You can however use multiple shapes to create one object

Edit: forgot to add the link http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=194938&b=48

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Apps Mobilis
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the comment above about the book being available as a PDF.

On principle I wasn't going to purchase a paper copy as I like to have my reference material electronically as it's just so much more convenient. But now it's available as a PDF I've bought a copy straight away.

Thanks to Alistair / Digital Skills for listening to everyone who wanted it this way.

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits" - Albert Einstein
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 12:03
I would just like to let those of you who have purchased the Hands On AppGameKit BASIC book know that two free supplements are now available for download in PDF format. These cover 3D Graphics and Memblock statements. Details of how to download these will be sent automatically to all of you who have already signed up for them.

For those of you who are yet to sign up, go to the January 2013 entry on the news page of www.digital-skills.co.uk for details.

Also, if you are thinking of purchasing the book, or would just like a little help getting started with AppGameKit BASIC, you can
now download the first 7 chapters for free (that's 190 pages). Again,you'll find details on the Digital Skills website.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Apr 2013 20:25
Great additions! Thanks for making learning easy!

www.NaplandGames.com
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jun 2013 15:33
The third supplement for Hands On AppGameKit BASIC is now available. This
one covers the DrawLine() statement and describes how to use it to draw rectangles, circles, ellipses, and Bezier curves. There's also a
section on how to produce a 3D wireframe display from an OBJ file.

Those of you who have bought the book and signed up for the free updates should already have details of how to download the supplement. If you've bought the book and have still to sign up for the free supplements, visit www.digital-skills.co.uk
Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jun 2013 13:25
@ AlistairS

Thank you, the third supplement is excellent.

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jun 2013 08:45
Thanks for the continual updates! This is very very much appreciated.

AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jun 2013 19:36
I'm glad the latest supplement is proving useful. I am trying to keep the book as up-to-date as possible, though I still have many commands yet to add.

I also want to update any of the older stuff that is now out-of-date
so I would appreciate it if anyone finds stuff in the book that needs to be changed, to contact me at Digital Skills.
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 22:35
Is this book available in the USA?

I'd like to purchase (even though its not an e-book) but I can't in all honesty pay $48.33 for shipping (I almost pooed myself when I saw the shipping cost in the TGC online checkout).

Thanks!

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 22:40 Edited at: 26th Jun 2013 22:41
@Grooovy,

This book IS available as a downloadable ebook. However, it seems TGC's site is still only promoting the print version (which the author originally stated was the only format it'd be available in).

See: http://www.digital-skills.co.uk/order.html

It is 16.96GBP ($26) for the eBook version.
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jun 2013 22:57
Quote: "$48.33 for shipping (I almost pooed myself when I saw the shipping cost in the TGC online checkout)"

Yeah... shipping a fat book from the UK is not cheap!
Digital version is formatted nicely for tablets too (looks great on my Nexus &)

Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jun 2013 22:58
Thanks for the info, guys!!!

ChasDGreen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jul 2013 11:11
I live in the UK, but bought the book from a US-based Amazon merchant called Spineys.
Perhaps US Users could contact them direct and save a few dollars?
Grooovy!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 18:52
Got the book over the weekend from Alistair's site (PDF).
That is a LOT of work, Alistair! Fantastic effort!
Well worth the price.

Cheers!

AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jul 2013 20:01
@Grooovy!

Nice to know someone appreciates all the hard work I hope you enjoy the book after all the trouble you went to find the
PDF version.

If I can help you (or anyone else who bought the book) with anything
in there, you can contact me through the Digital Skills website.
Red5
Years of Service
User Offline
I purchased both the printed book AND the digital versions - well worth the asking price - excellent value and excellent book
LVNeptune
Years of Service
User Offline
I would contact TGC and get them to update that information. I prefer eBook versions to throw on my iPad and personally had paperback books since the start of the digital age of book reading back to the first eInk tablets!
LVNeptune
Years of Service
User Offline
In the first paragraph on the foreward there's a grammatical mistake. second to last word is "where" when it should be "were"

'games' where amazing would be referencing a location, were is a point in time.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jul 2013 21:34
@LVNeptune Thanks for pointing that out. The proofreader will be dealt with severely and not allowed to use AppGameKit for at least a week.

I'll make sure to change it in the next edition!

(don't you mean 'foreword')
deadlyduck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 03:15
bought the PDF format version, thanks

------------------------------
D.R. Pemberton
http://www.deadlyassets.com
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 16:02
Please keep in mind that there are a couple of examples that worked fine in v1076 but don't work in v108+.

You always need a Sync() call inside the main do loop and Print statements must be in the do loop or the output disappears. Print output only appears for one Sync() call.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2013 16:50
What most of the examples in the book are missing now when it comes to print statements are the first call to Sync()

So the following code structure is what is needed:
Sync()
Print("something")
Sync()
do
loop

Alternatively (and arguably more safe) you can use:
do
Print("something")
sync()
loop

Which basically prints nothing on the very first loop (or it prints something that is not completely visible) then the call to Sync() clears up the screen buffer. Then on the second loop the print statement appears as one would hope, as it does on all subsequent loops.

What won't work is something like this:
Print("first line")
Sync()
Print("second line")
Sync()
do
loop

Only the second line will be printed since the screen buffer is not prepared to show "first line" due to a lack of calling Sync() before print.

Rumburak
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for showing that there is a pdf version available.[href]null[/href]
bonkey dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2013 16:14
Just to say the book is very good and am enjoying going through it.

very much a novice but you have to start somewhere.

dave

Thanks

dave
bonkey dave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2013 16:15
z

Thanks

dave
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 13:57
If I bought the ebook from digital-skills.co.uk, will it be updated as AGK2 evolves, and will I have access to these updates?

Thanks,

James
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 10:17
@Jambo B

My plan is now to create a second edition of Hands On AppGameKit BASIC to cover AppGameKit V2. This new edition will be split into two volumes which will sell (in ebook format) for around 12.50GBP per volume. This is about an 8.00GBP increase on the single volume first edition of the book but I'm expecting the book to be around 1500 pages (about twice the original edition's size when first published)so I hope people can appreciate the need to increase the cost.

For those who have already bought the current ebook edition of the book, they will only need to pay the difference between the old price and new price to receive both volumes of the second edition.

For those who have bought a printed version of the book, they can receive the new edition in ebook format for the same price as those with the current ebook edition (about 8.00GBP).

For those who want the new version in printed format, the full price must be paid (this price is yet to be decided). However, it is unlikely that a new printed version will appear until AppGameKit v2 is an a stable release and this may be a year or two in the future.
Jambo B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 20:12 Edited at: 24th Jan 2014 20:13
Thanks for that, Alistair. Think I'll buy the current one as an ebook, then, and upgrade to the second when you've finished it. Best wishes with that project from over here! It sounds like a job and a half!

James
Quatro
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, I just downloaded the PDF from Digital Skill yesterday. It's really a great book! I've read to chapter 4 so far, I'm really having a great time doing the activities. Worth every penny spent. Great work Alistair! Cheers!
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2014 08:59
@Quatro Glad you are enjoying the book. Please feel free to email me if there is anything in there I can help you with.

I'm currently working on the second edition to cover AppGameKit v2. You will be able to update to this new version when it becomes available for a small charge, if you wish.
Quatro
Years of Service
User Offline
I will definitely get the book when it's available. Well, I did have some dificulty before. It was at chapter 2, regarding the splash screen. I was about to write you an email but that's when I remembered you did mention about it in the email you sent before. Silly me. Well, everything seems fine now. Thanks again.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2014 18:03
You can now buy the Hands On AppGameKit BASIC ebook direct from TGC.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2014 16:05
Dabrits Entertainment
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2014 18:34
First post!!!

Just purchased my ebook version. I look forward to it supplementing Daniel's book I've been using. Also can't wait for the v2 volumes.

When I make my millions, I'll give a special shout-out to you guys.

Cheers

D
AppStar
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello Guys,

I'm new in AppGameKit v2. I plan to play a little bit with it but a book would be very nice. Any date of release for an V2 ebook?

Thank you for the Answer in Advanced!
Harlequin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2014 12:07
Hi AppStar,

according to the Steam forums, Lee (Bamber) is talking to the Author of "Hands on AppGameKit Basic" about an update this week.

cheers

It's late, I'm tired, out of coffee and now I'm wet.
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2014 15:32
Maybe we could do what was done with Teach Yourself e.g. each person review a chapter for updates - AFAICS (I'm working through it now to learn the API) there's a lot of little twiddles that need changing but the guts of it is sound enough.

The problem is if a beginner picked it up the material is suitable for them, but the oddities - setup.agc going walkies, different screen set up, mod operator disappearing and so on would probably throw them.

I'd contribute time if I thought it would help.
Nickydude
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2014 23:47 Edited at: 17th Dec 2014 23:48
Any news on the AGK2 book update? I'm considering purchasing AGK2 (I have AGK1 and the first AppGameKit Hands-On book).

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
Alistair
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2014 08:30
I'm currently working on an update to Hands On AppGameKit BASIC to reflect the many changes to the language in version 2. The first few chapters will be available for free download in the new year. You'll find further details on the website (www.digital-skills.co.uk) in January.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2014 09:27
The first chapter for the new Hands On AppGameKit BASIC 2 book will be available as a PDF from January 1. It (and the next several chapters) are free to download from www.digital-skills.co.uk.

Although the first chapter is all about basic algorithm design and not AppGameKit 2 itself, it has been extensively updated from the previous edition so absolute beginners should find it even more useful. In addition, there are three pieces of support software that can also be downloaded (all written in AppGameKit 2 BASIC).

If you do read the updated chapter, any constructive comments would be much appreciated - email comments@digital-skills.co.uk.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2015 12:49
I've just added the second chapter to the free download of Hands On AppGameKit BASIC 2.

This is an entirely new chapter to the book and covers the numbers systems, binary, octal and hexadecimal. You'll also see how to convert between number bases as well as how negative numbers, floating-point numbers and characters are stored.

You'll find it at www.digital-skills.co.uk.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 09:37 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 09:39
@AlistairS - I tried to open downloaded PDF file of AGK2 chapters 1 and 2 on both PC and android tablet but keep getting "unable to open file....file is damaged or ....." error. I managed to download chapter 1 and open ok previously.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 11:00
@Bored of the Rings - Sorry about that. The file must have been corrupted somewhere along the line. I've uploaded a replacement and tried downloading the new file and everything seems fine now.

Hope, you are enjoying the new support apps.
Bored of the Rings
User Banned
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 11:47
many thanks Alistair - yes enjoying the updates thanks so much, the first edition was great very helpful can;t wait for the completed 2nd edition.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 12:12
AlistairS - When book 2 is released, do we get an updated download link in the My Products list here on the TGC site? I recall you mentioning the updated book being free for existing owners?

I noticed you have had Book 1 recalled from the TGC Store...

AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 13:44
@MrValentine - The plan at the moment is that the second edition of Hands On AppGameKit BASIC will be split into two volumes (since I'm expecting it to be about 1400 pages - around the same size as the DBPro volumes). I'm also expecting each volume to cost around 12.50GBP (though don't keep me to the exact penny).

Anyone having bought the first edition of the AppGameKit book will get the two new volumes for the difference in price between the old and new (about 8.00GBP).

You won't get an updated link from TGC for the new book since it will (initially at least) only be available from Digital Skills.

However, don't expect the new book any time soon. Although I'm writing an update for the first few chapters (which anyone can download for free from the Digital Skills website) where the biggest changes exist for anyone just starting out on AppGameKit BASIC, and expect to finish those chapters in the next few weeks, the remainder of the book will be some time in the future - perhaps not before the end of this year - as I'm still waiting for AGK2 to reach a more stable state.

I don't know what you mean about having Book 1 recalled from the TGC store.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 14:45 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 14:59
Quote: "This product is no longer available for sale."

http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2321

That^

Very confusing... [If you do not see that yellow notice it may be because I already own the EBook? as I cannot see the option to purchase it... just tried in private view and nope still there... and no EBook option]

I am in no rush either, I too am waiting for further implementations such as the 3D Physics engine...[Bullet Physics]...

That sounds very reasonable, but will that offer be open to those who bought it through the above store? I loved your work on HODBPro I and II! inspired me to create Prototype: Primer and the extended family it has...

Whatever you do, I will more than likely buy it either way

EDIT

I found the Digital Book on this http://www.appgamekit.com/order.php which lead to this page http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2366 which cannot be found in an obvious manner through the store itself...

Clicking Buy on the print book is useless, maybe need to refresh stock levels? but the link for the EBook works to add to basket, but finding the page in the first place...

EDIT

Also noticed you updated the DS website...

AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 16:33
@MrValentine - Thanks so much for pointing out that problem on the TGC website. I'll contact Lee tomorrow and see if he can get it fixed.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 17:02
You are welcome

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 12:03:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 12:03:31