Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Hands On AGK BASIC (Book)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 17:18 Edited at: 11th Jan 2015 17:22
@ AlistairS,

So what do I buy exactly from the digital skills website to ensure I can later download the fully up to date AGK2 version (or do I)?

I'd like to buy the Hands on AppGameKit - but if I do that from your site will I get the final AGK2 version for free?

[edit]

Or, to put it another way, if I now buy "Hands On AppGameKit BASIC (for AppGameKit 1)" as an e-book from the digital-skills website does that then entitle me to a free copy of the up to date AGK2 version once that has been written/e-published on that site?

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 18:03
@Duffer - If you buy the current single volume ebook of Hands On AppGameKit BASIC from either Digital Skills or The Game Creators, you'll get both volumes of the new Hands On AppGameKit BASIC 2 book for the difference in the price between the old and new versions. The new version (which will be in two volumes should be a few hundred pages more than the original version (and with additional support apps)and so will be a little more expensive (still cheaper than the two DBPro volumes though).

And so to finally answer your question, you'll have to pay about 8.50GBP to upgrade to the new version of the book from the old version but you won't end up paying any more than someone who hasn't bought the first edition and then buys the second.

Hope I made that clear - I was beginning to confuse myself towards the end there!
Duffer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2015 21:05
@ AlistairS,

That makes sense. In which case, I am buying the e-book tonight from your site.

a long time dabbler with DBC and DBPro with no actual talent but lots of enthusiasm...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 12th Jan 2015 01:18
AlistairS {kicks him} get cracking!

LOL

I have sent you a PM, I hope you know where to find them

Please read it I was going to write it here but part of it is personal...

arnzzz
Years of Service
User Offline
This is fantastic news that your working on an updated version of the book AlistairS

In your opinion AlistairS, for someone new to AGKv2, having NEVER used AGKv1, or never programmed using a BASIC style language (I have Java experience), would you still recommend buying the first version of your book?

Or would it be better for me to wait for the second version?

I'm wondering if reading the first version will just lead to frustration because of changes made to the language making the original book not compatible with AGKv2.
AlistairS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2015 07:14
@arnzzz There are certainly a few fundamental changes to the language between AppGameKit 1 and AppGameKit 2 which would make things difficult in the early stages for someone with no experience of AppGameKit BASIC trying to learn AppGameKit 2 from the original book. For a start, the IDE interface is quite different.

Because of these differences, I'm in the process of writing an update to the first few chapters (finished February) of the original book to make them specific to AppGameKit 2. These chapters are free to download (www.digital-skills.co.uk).

These updated chapters (and the updating of the remaining chapters) will form the basis of the new book.

Ideally, you should wait for the new book, but that is some time away. I would think the end of the year at the earliest.

But, if you use the new chapters in conjunction with the original book you should get most of what you need and you'll find the newer instructions (which are missing from the book) in the AppGameKit Help pages.

And, of course, if you do buy the current edition, when the new book is complete, you can buy the new book for the difference in price between the old and new.

But if you've used Java, then you're going to find AppGameKit BASIC very easy and you may not need more than those free chapters to get you off and running. You may even want to migrate to the C++ version (which the book does not cover) since this is much closer to Java.
tsaulic
Years of Service
User Offline
Guys, sorry if I missed this somewhere, but anyone know of an ETA for the

Hands On AKG BASIC 2

version? I want to purchase that and download the E-Book, even if it's in beta state for now.

Thanks! Looking forward to the Hands On C++, too. Any ETA on that one? I am only familiar with Python/JS/a bit of Ruby.. need to learn C++ if I plan to make a faster running game, right!?
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 10:17
The post above answers the question

I'd recommend you do what @AlistairS says ; the learning material for AppGameKit is pretty good and close enough to AGK2 to figure out what's going on. There are two problems which @AlistairS will fix with his start-rewrite - people who have no programming experience much at all (for whom it is important that type in code is correct) and the way the screen is set up which has changed a fair bit.

Even without the new version or part version a combination of the book, the forum help and the AGK2 documentation should get you where you want to go.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 11:04
tsaulic

Quote: "Because of these differences, I'm in the process of writing an update to the first few chapters (finished February) of the original book to make them specific to AppGameKit 2. These chapters are free to download (www.digital-skills.co.uk)."

paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2015 14:16
The other thing you could do is buy AGK1 and learn using that and convert to AGK2. There is a banner at the bottom of my version of this page which is advertising FPSC reloaded, AGK1, FPSC Classic and DGS for $30.
tsaulic
Years of Service
User Offline
thanks a bunch guys. I read most of the posts, I was sure I was on the last page when I reviewed my question and have not read this post

I think I will go with the free chapters once they're release and then wait for the new AGK2 book.
paulrobson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2015 09:33
Seriously .... I have Book 1 myself and have never used AppGameKit 1. Once you get past the first bits the differences are not massive and you will hopefully be experienced enough then to figure it out - if not ask here - this is also a great learning experience.

The real problem is the IDE and screen setup which is different on AppGameKit 2. But this is the same 'fix' for almost all the exercises.

As @alistair says, it won't cost you anything to by the first book anyway
tsaulic
Years of Service
User Offline
@paulrobson, sure thing, will give it a try then you convinced me,
thanks!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 16:25:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 16:25:36