Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Dark Basic Elite - A Question

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 19:48

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2014 20:16
I as far as I am aware FPS Creator reloaded is their flagship product with the most sales which is a dark basic creation; am I correct? Why would AppGameKit be their primary focus? I'm completely lost here. lol.

Dark_ITheI _Angel
Years of Service
User Offline
sure.. I Pay the next two!

@Chris: the thing with agk is it plays in a bigger market. Once they go 3d and it becomes a dbp for Mobile it could play in the Same Liga with unity and others,meaning it could brake their Säle records
Fpsc plays in a different dimmention and is good to get you interested in the whole 3!d thing.
But if as you say fpsc is their flagship then am very worried about tgc goals,Not that i dont understand that an easy Tool also brings money for developers. Althought am pretty sure they Know what to Do.

I would welcome an dbe that Export to Mobile and Windows instead of having two different programs dividing what should be One. The easy of basic and the Power of this engine and different platforms export. Godlike to me
That would stablish tgc in the biggest market

Cya

Animals
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 00:44
Quote: "How is everyone in here anyway? this has been quiet for some time..."

I'm well, thanks

In terms on making PC games (which is still one enormous chunk of the market), DBPro has the upper hand by far. When it comes to mobile, obviously AppGameKit is in front, but it simply cannot compete with DBPro for PC games.

From what I can see, Reloaded is bringing in more money than any other product right now, so TGC is pouring money back into it. AppGameKit is also getting a lot of attention in the form of V2.

My point is, there IS a market for DBE, simply because DarkBASIC is awesome for creating PC games and many people still rely on it. However, it's not a very big market, and TGC are more likely to simply bring AppGameKit up to scratch for the PC side of things. And while it may not be their "flagship product" per se, Reloaded is definitely getting the most attention out of all TGC's products.

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2014 09:28 Edited at: 12th Mar 2014 09:32
I understand. I started making a new game on AppGameKit, I haven't purchased it until this month. It is a good tool.

I was wondering if it were possible to succeed in the high volume mobile market, it is quite easy to get lost in a jungle of mobile video games ranging from Asteroids version 3000.1 to Bejeweled clone number 2,000,000. I'm new to this topic, and am thinking in business terms and not hobbyist terms.

On the other hand, making an animated 3D video game in DBP which can compete in its market is only something a few can pull off. Self made entrepreneurs can produce great games in 3D and pull it off effectively; like Notch the creator of Minecraft; and when they do they make millions.

I'm just wondering if there was no AppGameKit, with all of the attention on Dark BASIC elite and FPSC Reloaded, would the focus, concentration, synergy, promotion and number of users of such tools resulted with a 'golden era' of new 3D video game titles? Likewise, if Dark BASIC elite and FPSC reloaded were put aside, and all the resources were put into AppGameKit, would we have more multi-platform game successes, and how would things be for TGC and what would these forums be like? Interesting thought.

All in all, neither market are easy to master; so one will just have to say good luck with all of your endeavors. It is at least nice to be able to have a bit of both worlds with similar programming languages.

Mikko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2014 10:58
Windows games and applications are needed in the future.

If Lee would announce, that after FPS reloaded, the DBE is the
next project for him, I would pledge FPS reloaded right away.

It's that simple.

Mikko

mikko_ketonen( )hotmail.com
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2014 13:57
Quote: "Windows games and applications are needed in the future."

DBPro and AppGameKit can do this already. Problem solved.

SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
I was pretty worried about the future of DBPro at one point, but reading Lee's FPSCR blog, it looks like DBPro is slowly evolving into something like DBElite - there's been some pretty awesome improvements, especially in terms of speed. Hopefully this'll come our way as an update soon
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 04:07
Quote: "it looks like DBPro is slowly evolving into something like DBElite - there's been some pretty awesome improvements, especially in terms of speed. Hopefully this'll come our way as an update soon"

Indeed. I believe the best way to test out a product you've made is to use it. So now that Lee is really using DBPro, he's finding all the internal bugs and slowdowns that he never would have known about otherwise.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 7th Apr 2014 17:30
Quote: "So now that Lee is really using DBPro, he's finding all the internal bugs and slowdowns that he never would have known about otherwise."

Let's hope he doesn't get overwhelmed.

Powered by Free Banners
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2014 02:20
Quote: "Let's hope he doesn't get overwhelmed."

Indeed, but it sounds like with the extra help he's managing to stay on top of everything.

Mikko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2014 02:17
Well, I could not wait.

I pledged Reloaded and got also FPS Classic.

I think that's the way to get DB Elite sooner.

Keep up the good work, TGC.

Mikko
DB owner since 99.

mikko_ketonen( )hotmail.com
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jun 2014 02:56
How many years has it been since we’ve seen so much as an update. I’ll see it, when I believe it. I’m not holding my breath.
spike 132000
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jul 2014 14:46
I've given up with Dark Basic Pro, i'm moving on.

Dark Basic misses so many of the most basic of features, things that you would think come as standard, and additional plugins don't just cost a couple of quid, your looking upwards of £20 for a plugin which should be built in. They say that you can make games the easy way with dark basic pro, yeah if you will to chuck more money in to download a plugin which covers only one command that you need that again, should be built in to it.

Thank you and goodbye, i'm going elsewhere.

http://feedit.me - Live feed platform, useful for events and shows!
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 15:07 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2014 23:28
We have all been spoiled with Dark Basic Pro, imo the best basic language produced, for a reasonably low outlay and free updates for years.
Yes it has always had bugs and still has. It's always had problems with its IDE but never the less we have managed by work arounds or others producing dll fixes. I still use it today and would welcome an update/upgrade but this doesn't look likely in the short time, if at all.
There are supporters such as JackDawson who is trying to get the forum interested in to providing some bug fixes and/or updates but the task sounds like it will be too much for any one person and he appears to be getting little practical support.
Why? Because the DBPro forum is declining week by week and I'm not sure TGC realise the consequences.

DBPro has failed because it was developed, badly promoted and sold by IT personnel with little business accruement. DBPro had very few avenues available to make new money. Hence the reason FPSC, imo the least desirable of TGC programmes, has taken centre stage. FPSC at least offers the opportunity for TGC to make money simply from its add-on packs, although as soon as the pledge money pot runs dry I'm reasonably sure that they will be unable to create enough new customer sales which may ultimately result in FPSC coming to a standstill except for a few new packs every so often.

AGK is destined to go the same way as DBPro as their business strategy doesn't appear to have changed. Once the pledge fund runs dry, how long will members have to wait for updates if it doesn't bring in regular new money. No doubt a new pledge request will be forthcoming if insufficient revenue is achieved from thin air.

During this time DBPro members will continue to decline and be very few and far between.
One of the most basic and important facts regarding business is that it takes a lot more in resources, time and effort to get a new customer than it does to keep an existing customer.

TGC could and should stop the member decline now, not when they get bored with current avenues, lose essential programming staff or realises AppGameKit and FPSC are simply not making enough money to keep them afloat because their business plans are suspect.
It is possible that DBElite may at that dire time be considered by TGC, but i believe too much damage caused by their neglect may harm that opportunity.

I hear that improvements to DBPro are being made to help create FPSC and I think it may also be possible for the new IDE used for AppGameKit to be used for any future DB Pro/Elite release, but if TGC want to keep members - let us know something.

If a new or improved version of DBPro is ever release what will TGC need to do to keep it viable?
The most obvious method is to get a stable product and sell it at a price we would be prepared to pay. Unexpected bugs would need to be fixed foc but each major update, possibly annually, would need to be paid for. Existing owners of the 1st release would then pay just for an update. New customers at that time would need to pay a price somewhere in between the 1st release price and the price with the update(s) added. I do not suggest the idea of upgrades through individual choice of plugins because although these are useful for individual members, it does not keep every new version of DB? updated which is simpler for future development, nor is financially best for the Company.
Next TGC could provide 3D packs something in between the FPSC packs and the Game Store options. These could include characters, scenery objects, animals, gaming pieces, cards, dice, tokens, snooker/pool balls/cues etc etc, choices of colours and royalty free, and maybe members could help decide.
It could also include new sprite packs for 2D apps for members without that artistic bent.

No doubt this post will receive some criticism as members have become very angry and disappointed at the lack of support received and they consequently take it out on members trying to do something positive. Regrettably that is a sure way to ensure that DBPro is never revived or improved upon. Be positive and criticise constructively. If there is enough positive support for a new or improved DB?, we may get there, it depends on us all.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jul 2014 15:57
@spike 132000:

You ungrateful little wretch

@Juney:

Well said. I've often thought (and indeed stated) TGC's business strategies are somewhat lacking

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 16:44 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2014 16:47
I agree Juney. I have been slowly writing up a strategy on what can be done to revive another version of DB Pro. Think of it like OpenDBP in a sense. We have people who make IDEs and we have people who make DLLs and some of us are really good at OpenGL. One guy has DirectX 11 working as well. So what if we pull our heads together to make our own, with the syntax we all love. I'm no expert in any of this, and I am no leader. But if someone who has a sense of how all this works could step up, they would have my support.

It's a thought. The only reason I can propose this, is because they made DB Pro open source. If they hadn't of done that, then I could never have proposed this idea as it would infringe their business.
Battoad
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jul 2014 17:27 Edited at: 23rd Jul 2014 23:28
Thank you both Clonkex and Jack for your comments.

I do not have a programming background and my only partial success has been through DBPro, primarily because, as you say, it has the syntax we all love and is reasonably easy to learn. It also has, or had, the biggest and best community who could help with any aspect of its programming. The reason I say "had" is because the DBPro forum is declining rapidly, only 60% of what it was a year ago going by the number of new threads.

I have tried AppGameKit but find it unfriendly and a little too difficult in deployment etc. Help threads are fragmented and are not updated, making it difficult for any newby to follow. It doesn't have the depth of commands and most disappointingly for me, TGK backtracked on their commitment that conversion to PHP/java for web browser would happen in V2 - it appears to have disappeared from their tasks to do. It also seems to me that the resources are not in place to continue the development of AppGameKit for any foreseeable future so at this time there is nothing to encourage me to move from my existing DBPro.

I hope that TGC will make some comment regarding any future stage to DBPro in the next newsletter as it is probably the best way to reach members who have left this particular forum, but as an alternative to sticking with TGC I would welcome someone to come forward and lead a revival and improvement to DBpro.

If TGC or anyone else disagrees, it is how I perceive it, and that is down to TGC.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
I see some of us are holding on to DB Pro.

This thread is an example.. and I gotta say.. WOW

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=211683&b=1
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 13:22
Evolved approved lol !!! Dbpro For ever!

.:: Http://DeanWorks.Ca ::.
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
aerostudios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2014 21:20
I haven't given up on DBPro, actually I'm just getting started and excited about my new product, TOWER CAB (www.towercab.com). My only fear is that when Windows goes all 64 bit, my new product will no longer function. Also, all of the addons I currently am using will also cease to function. I would like to see DBPro and all of the addons updated to work on a 64 bit platform so my business doesn't collapse in a few years. I'd pay $99 or more for DB Elite.
JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
@ aerostudios

I understand bro. Windows Server 2012 has NO legacy support for 32Bit and its been announced by MS about it. They are also pushing people toward 64Bit and it looks like Windows 9 is going to do the same thing as Windows Server 2012 has done.

Think of it like Windows 7 not allowing 16Bit to run. It's already like that for Windows Server 2012. Windows 9 is reported to be the same way when it comes out.

---

On another note, I recently started to get into PowerBasic Windows Compiler since DBPro is just not supported anymore. They are talking about a 64Bit version. So I might give up on DBPro since PowerBasic seems to be staying with the times, and I'll just use that compiler instead. It has the ability to run both OpenGL and DirectX 7 - 11 because of the way its designed. I love the syntax of DBP better, but if its no longer supported and it will no longer function in future windows, then no point in sticking with it. I tried, but not many care about it any longer.
Michael P
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 01:22
It is different though, 16 bit is very restrictive so developers needed to move to 32 bit. The move to 64 bit isn't desperately needed at an application level, as most apps will fit in less than the ~4gb limit. Wow64 does a fine job if letting multiple 32 bit apps make use of 64 bit address space.

If what you say is true then Microsoft is again trying to force developers down a route which adds little value. Porting apps to 64 bit can be an expensive process. Anyway this really surprises me, i would bet money on Microsoft back tracking and supporting 32 bit for many years to come. Businesses simply will not adopt.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Businesses simply will not adopt."

People said that about 16-Bit as well. But it happened.

As for the switch to 64-Bit, I welcome it. I am trying to make whole planet worlds and I can't do it with 32-bit. It's why I am looking for a 64-Bit version of DBP. But from what I am seeing, its not going to happen. And I know nothing about C++ that could help me do it. I tried to rally this group to the task. But I failed. Sorry.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2014 06:34
Quote: "They are also pushing people toward 64Bit and it looks like Windows 9 is going to do the same thing as Windows Server 2012 has done."

WHAT?! That's INSANE!! There are THOUSANDS of programs that are 32-bit only! This is going to kill M$ once and for all, I tell you. If they do this, the Windows ecosystem will be destroyed.

JackDawson
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "WHAT?! That's INSANE!! There are THOUSANDS of programs that are 32-bit only! This is going to kill M$ once and for all, I tell you. If they do this, the Windows ecosystem will be destroyed."

There were thousands of 16Bit back in the "old days" as well. Just because people think its insane, doesn't mean anything. MS must have some trick up their sleeve.. whether its a good trick or not, that remains to be seen.

Basically, I am seeing this all over again. I can't believe I am old enough to say something like that..

shaking my head
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2014 06:35
I prefer using Linux, As much as possible. Microsoft has a place under my foot! Sadly, I use it for game stuff. By 2016 Microsoft is downsizing 18 thousand workers.

.:: Http://DeanWorks.Ca ::.
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2014 04:32 Edited at: 28th Jul 2014 04:34
Quote: "There were thousands of 16Bit back in the "old days" as well. Just because people think its insane, doesn't mean anything."

But it's different now. Back then, there weren't as many people using computers and there was not so much software. The biggest problem, though, is one of retro games.

Imagine if I couldn't play Freelancer or Myst any more...

Quote: "Microsoft has a place under my foot!"

Same for me, except that I still love Windows. If only they'd give the entire source code to the internet....we'd have a total revolution. Other OSs would go down the drain as Windows (with its total rule of the market and its complete compatibility with every software) would be stripped apart by enthusiasts and put back together as a 10x better OS.

I can dream...

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 28th Jul 2014 13:11
Quote: "Myst"

I never could play that.

Probably still got a copy somewhere.