Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / Dark Basic Elite - A Question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2013 22:27
Quote: "Yea I had to chuckle at this myself. You obviously do not know Lee very well. ..."

Yes I don't know Lee very well? Do you know him very well too?

I know about programming life, but you never start parallel projects if you don't have enough time to work, or hire more programmers.

In my Windows 7 , my DarkBasic doesn't works well and I have a lots of problems even I installed all of these upgrades.
For example I have a strange runtime error 502 image does not exists and image exists.
And other errors with plugins.
All my old source code doesn't compiles and a lots of incompatibilities with plugins versions.

It seems is time to change a languages, my game is on hold for a long time.
And it seems the DarkBasic is abandoned.
I hate all of this stupid mobile tablet iSomething market.

iPad
iPhone
iPod
iThis
iThat
i($#%^#@@#)

In fact I am boring to wait until 2999 AD until FPSCreator Reloaded will finish and AppGameKit Will finish and Freedom Engine will finish and how many other mobile products will finish.

Who among of you here want to have a new version of DarkBasic Pro Elite or fixed the existing one, than playing with AGK. Even if you have pay of it AGAIN.

I believe Lee will make more money to Sell DarkBasic AGAIN for $99 or even for $149 than wait for Pledge.
JamesWalker101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 11:54
I didn't even see this thread, so how could about 300 people say their in? Make it on the headline or something, because I think its a great idea, especially
DirectX 11 and Antialiasing.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 17:26 Edited at: 29th Jul 2013 17:30
Just so everyone realises, DarkBASIC Elite will probably not be around for at least a year because Lee spending all of his time working on FPSC Reloaded (fpscreloaded.blogspot.com) and Paul is spending his time on AGK.

Lee works by himself in his little cottage in Wales. The Reloaded project is being managed by all of TGC (in particular, Rick Vanner), obviously, but it's being programmed by Lee. Alone. There's no manpower left for DBPro Elite.

Quote: "And it seems the DarkBasic is abandoned."

If you mean DBC, then yes. If you mean, DBPro, then no, I disagree.

Quote: "I hate all of this stupid mobile tablet iSomething market."

So do I!!

Clonkex

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jul 2013 21:29 Edited at: 29th Jul 2013 21:31
The 'iSomething' mobile market has lots of money; plus, your chances of getting it is far more likely than with the top gaming markets.

As painful as it is for me to say....

I think they should focus on one market instead of being the jack of all trades. Every succesful software company, focuses on specialization; some broad, some refined; but I think specializing in mobile games development, FPS games development and general 3D games development all at the same time seems like a bit much.

But it is interesting to see TGC do what they do anyway; something to learn from. Who knows, perhaps there is so great a divided opinion on 'what next'.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 04:36
Quote: "The 'iSomething' mobile market has lots of money; plus, your chances of getting it is far more likely than with the top gaming markets."

Oh yes, I know that. I don't so much hate the fact that the mobile market exists, I just don't like what it's doing to other markets. Most companies are trying to convince us that traditional PC gaming is a thing of the past, and it's really not.

I actually intend to release my first game into the mobile market at the same time as the PC one. Hopefully you'll be able to play multiplayer cross-platform, so an Android tablet could play against a Windows PC. Having played SpaceTeam with my brother and sisters and seen how ridiculously fun it was, I know that cross-platform multiplayer is definitely the way to go.

Quote: "I think they should focus on one market instead of being the jack of all trades."

I think TGC is doing very well, considering. I also think that if they take it a step at a time they'll manage, and we'll end up with an AppGameKit that can create 2D and 3D multiplayer cross-platform games easily. It's really cool. As for FPS games, well Lee's the only one doing that, and I think it's well worth it.

Clonkex

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jul 2013 19:22
Yes I did not think about that; cross platform support. The mobile market I guess is by now, out-numbering the console game market.

One the other hand, one of my beliefs is for PC games to be creative; utilizing the versatility and systematic nature of the PC, they cannot go wrong with FPSC reloaded; but us Dark BASIC professional users don't seem to have much to look forward to any time soon. Maybe our time to leap for joy will come some day.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 16:11
Quote: "us Dark BASIC professional users don't seem to have much to look forward to any time soon. Maybe our time to leap for joy will come some day."

I'm also a DBPro user. I was a DBPro user long before AppGameKit existed. I still use it a lot; indeed, if you're not making a game that particularly needs to be cross-platform, DBPro is pretty much the perfect platform on which to develop.

And you do have something to look forward to. As Lee builds Reloaded, he sometimes has to make changes to DBPro. He's updated the compiler to compile MUCH faster. I'm pretty sure he's also added his "Instance Stamp" system (a kind of batching) into DBPro itself. All these updates will be released to the public sometime (I'm not sure when, though....I'll pester Lee about it). And the fact that Lee's using BlitzTerrain and needed to update it to allow vertex-level access to the data may mean we get the update as well.

Clonkex

SamKM
Years of Service
User Offline
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Lee said the super-fast compiler wouldn't be a free update
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2013 23:21
That sounds good.

Nabz_32x
Years of Service
User Offline
fingers crossed.

I hope DBPro gets back to being a fully supported and fairly priced game programming tool.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2013 03:17
Quote: "I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Lee said the super-fast compiler wouldn't be a free update"

Oh, I can't remember. Yeah he might have....I'm pretty sure he was just turning it over in his mind, though, so nothing hard to go on.

Quote: "fingers crossed."

Me too

Clonkex

Marvey
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, again i am so disapointed with TGC team... first AppGameKit and fpscreator... this is really disapointed.. seems darkbasicpro is allways behind everything.. i am still using it, allwyas with a hope dbp will be upgraded but seems again we will never know if they will upgrade it or not, there is allways comments telling "dbp is not dead, will be upgrade" but seems just lies... we are at 2013 with a long time waiting for upgrades, and the question is? will be really updated or not???? when??? in 2020?? come on.. why the TGC just tell us the project is dead, so we can move on and leave dbpro... i have thinked to leave dbp already so many times allways with a hope... but looking at this posts is strange TGC team dont say a word.. allways the same atitude from this company.. just say there is no future for dbp we stop losing our time here!!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 17:04
There's not going to be an update to dbp for the foreseeable future. They're working on AGK2 And FPSC reloaded.

KISTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Aug 2013 21:17
I sometimes wonder if TGC shouldn't take a step back and develop an environment where you can program in DarkBASIC anything you want, but have a module that provides FPSC functionality, and separate modules to give the ability to port those programs to other platforms. (Android, iOS, etc..)

It would consolidate the focus to a single product, and provide support to all of the various needs of the community and different markets without causing everyone to have to wait years for an update. An update to the core, updates all.

Just a thought...
Burning Feet Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Aug 2013 01:08
I'm looking forward to the morning, when I check the interwebs to find DarkBASIC Elite finally has a Kickstarter ^_^

If we all start to save one dollar a day from today, I wonder what DarkBASIC Elite Kickstarter tier we could afford to purchase on release?

Help build an online DarkBASIC Professional help archive.
DarkBasic Help Wikia
Marvey
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah yeah... just save your dollar with a software where you got suport and updates... dbp was funny but is time to move on and find another companie to work with.
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
@Marvey,

You realize that DBPro is being worked on right now, don't you? Read Lee's blog on FPSC:R. In his last post he added LOD commands. It isn't much, but he is upgrading DBPro in the process of making FPSC:R, and then we can all hope he continues the momentum afterwards.

I agree with the kickstarter. I pledged FPSC:R just for the DBPro updates, and would gladly pledge for an official update.
Marvey
Years of Service
User Offline
GIDustin well if that is true this are good news, because right now i dont know what is true or not, i read already info about dbp will not be updated or there is no future date to update dbp... if you are telling will be update this are good news and i am waiting to spend some money again on dbpro.
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
The modified DBPRO engine which is powering FPSC reloaded is an internal engine and Lee has not decided yet whether to release it
in public. So there is no much hope for DBPro. AppGameKit is the only game
engine they will be focusing on in coming days.
Marvey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 02:53 Edited at: 14th Aug 2013 02:57
seems so...
Marvey
Years of Service
User Offline
Nuclearbasic engine will be my future friend for sure.
Leonid
User Banned
Posted: 14th Aug 2013 03:27
I need a Basic without DirectX, ActiveX, .NET, Framework and 3D absolutly too, but which works with some similar (DX's, .NET's) dlls required in my program. I need 2D like in Foton Basic (Language known also as Sax Basic) (use search). Sprites Collision must work like in DBC (better for special buttons). You can sell optionally some things like Printer worker (like Dark Ink), Sound card worker.

Game Factory in Russia is a cul-desac. It will be better to make useful and thinny well shaped program for one purpose.

What I always trying to do. - To find the way, Bill Gates still did not found in his MS Office, and patent it earlier him.
(To be a Sharlock Holmes before Micro-ft Holmes).
Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Nuclearbasic engine will be my future friend for sure."

Unfortunately it is in a state where users are starving for update, bug fixes, terrain feature and officially released complete documentation.
GreenDixy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 09:33
Even thoe people say it is dated, I probably wont ever stop using dbpro. There is so much that can be done with it on a normal level and plugins.

======================================
My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 15th Aug 2013 14:39
That's my opinion too.

Powered by Free Banners
Marvey
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats true you can still play with it, and use it for many things.. but try to do big enviroments with it, and then you will see the engine needs a big update... in my case i use dpro just for architecture.. and need to work with big enviroments, thats why i request updates to the engine.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Aug 2013 06:58
I want to buy DB Elite.

Juggernaut
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I want to buy DB Elite."

Let it first be on sale at -least
GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Aug 2013 17:33 Edited at: 20th Aug 2013 17:34
Last we heard from anyone at TGC: link
Quote: "DarkBASIC Elite hasn't been taken off the table, and is still under consideration. However AppGameKit v2 and FPS Creator Reloaded have taken top priority."

Perhaps we should start some sort of list features we would like to see from the product, so that when Lee finishes FPSC:R, he would have a full list of what we would expect to see from DB Elite. I read some of the lists already in this thread, and many were very vague. If you tell Lee to "enhance the shaders", how will he know what you mean by that? Here is my list so far.

Latest DirectX, but keep support for 9.0c (Windows XP cannot use 10+. It would be unpleasant for DBPro, which ran primarily on XP for years, to one day stop running on XP altogether.)
Faster Multi-Core Compiling
Smarter, More Efficient, Compiler (See second post of this thread)
Building-in Modules as Core Commands (including Sparky's Collision)
Don't break older DLL files. Some authors are no longer around to make updated versions (Cloggy, Aaron Miller, Diggsey, IanM apparently...)
Easier way to detect DirectX memory flushes (and possibly recover from them?)
Allow us to flag a project to require administrator rights to run on Windows Vista+ (So it doesn't just fail when trying to write to private folders)
Create new versions (or modify the old versions) of all "loop" commands (while, repeat, do) to not do "windows subroutines" after every loop.
OpenGL Support for porting to Max/Linux?
Embedded icons don't lose higher resolution versions used in Windows 7+
Fix the currently reported bugs, especially those in the Your 3 Most Annoying Bugs thread.

We can only hope that when he finished FPSC:R, we see another kickstarter project for DB Elite.
Marvey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 01:52 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2013 01:58
GIDustin i must say you have there many nice points, i agree with them... the truth is i dont have much expectation from the TGC... many years passed since i start with this litle nice tool but with all this years what i learn is they are just looking for ways to make money and i can undeerstand that, but dpbro was completly forgoten by the creators.. they have others priorities..did you saw the date this post was created? one year ago.. and till now we have no serious proofs they will work again on it... is allways nice to see guys like you giving ideas to improve/fix the engine.. but the truth is we can´t really expect nothing, only the time will show.. but if such happen is just because they lost the interest on the others projects or they didn´t win the money they were expecting.. so dbpro users have just one litle comment from them without any date or a serious comment that dbpro will be for real update.. till such thing happen you probabily will wait some years if happens.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 19:58
I wish this thread gets locked. At least that's attainable.

Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 21:17
Er, why?

Powered by Free Banners
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 22:04 Edited at: 22nd Aug 2013 22:09
I am guessing people are annoying Mobiius.

And I am getting a little bored of the same conversation since...

Wait, I know what we can do

Let us play an idea game....yaaay

Come on, do not be boring... join in. Die boredom, die.

Feature Idea Game

Let us discuss our most coveted features for DB-Elite

How to play

Each page in this thread has 50 designated posts. Each page is to be designated to one feature under discussion.

To propose the feature for the next page, simply post what feature you would like to discuss in the page to follow.

With the remaining 17 or so posts left, vote for the next discussion. The highest vote wins; with any draw designating the votes level as a multi-topic page discussion. Votes to roll over if no clear winner is established.

Once designated, we discuss why we want the feature and why it is essential. When the page is complete, TGC can print that off for reference. Then a new vote commences for the additional page to follow.

A page for votes, then a page for collaborative thoughts on one request, then a page again for votes, and again a page for collaborative thoughts on another request. votes, 50

Come on, you know it makes sense
Yay

I vote for the first page discussion to be about; ~DLL compilation. Windows applications can assemble DLLs dynamically. Allow DB-Elite to compile DLLs so applications can be modular, organized into interdependent parts; instead of jamming everything into one sardine can; waiting for long compiles.

What's your vote????????????????????????

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Aug 2013 23:57
I vote for locking the thread. I'm tired of a thread reminding us that there will be no improvements to dbpro in the near future. As good as agk is, it doesn't replace dbpro (and is not intended to) but I know I'd like to create more advanced games for windows that agk is incapable.

Adrian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 15:30
Quote: "I vote for locking the thread. I'm tired of a thread reminding us that there will be no improvements to dbpro in the near future. As good as agk is, it doesn't replace dbpro (and is not intended to) but I know I'd like to create more advanced games for windows that agk is incapable."

I agree. They can't even be bothered to sort out the bugs in the old code, let alone making a new version.

I understand that Blitz Terrain has been incorporated into the Reloaded project and we may get it in DBPro as an update someday.
Well I already have it installed on my machine and I don't think that installing an old extension (great though it is) really counts as an upgrade.

DBPro is dead.

Saying that you might get an update one day, maybe, perhaps, simply isn't good enough.
Look at the 3 most annoying bugs thread: That was started on 10th Jan 2012 and I don't see anyone falling over themselves to sort that out, and how long before that was the last fix?
I recall one when Windows 7 wouldn't allow DBPro to compile programs - they HAD to fix that one, but nothing since.

Shame on them for allowing such a great program to die the way it has - slowly, bleeding to death.

Is the FPS_Reloaded project going to sell that many units anyway?
Is there really a market for people using a game-construction kit to make "games"?
Are there any really good games made with it anyway? I certainly don't know of any. From what I've seen, they look pretty crappy to me.
Some of the demos from the Reloaded version don't look bad, but I could probably do a lot of that using plug-ins anyway.

The thing is, if you piss off the people who use the language to make the games, they'll go and learn something else eventually. There's plenty of choices out there, and most of them have better support than DBPro, which, as far as I can tell, is no longer supported in any way and anything that's written saying that there will be updates coming is simply not true.
Once people start to move away from DBPro - they will never return again as the investment of learning a new system will simply prevent that.

Surely they could get one programmer, even if it's part time, to work on DBPro - or are they simply so small that they can't afford even that?

Quote: "Unfortunately it is in a state where users are starving for update, bug fixes, terrain feature and officially released complete documentation. "
No different to Dark Basic then, but at least there's more chance of an upgrade.
Mage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 17:36
What ever happened to that 20 Bugs list thread? Didn't they pick out the 20 bugs they were going to fix and announce they had someone working on it?

Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 18:49 Edited at: 23rd Aug 2013 18:53
I just do not think that list was organized effectively; who could tell which were the top 3 bugs in that thread?

I wouldn't feel comfortable myself working with such a messy list of wishes and gibberish.

The fact that very little effort was made to produce a clear and well arranged list shows a lack of interest on our part.

If we want them to spend many months giving us what we want, why can't we spend a few days compiling a clearly defined list of what we want; with source code to demonstrate the issues in discussion.

Yes there are bug reports, but how do we justify giving a damn about Dark Basic Elite if we do not bother to discuss the bugs collectively progessively in a professional and orderly manner?
Consensus! Not Jimmy's troublesome afternoon.

It is not like there are an army of TGC developers out there; if there were we would be talking about XBox One support and Shader Model 5.

We should support the concept a bit more ourselves; demonstrating interest and maybe even starting our own bug fixing campaign; code if you can, donate if you can; but the fact of the matter is only one or two people would bother to help anyway... Yet you expect TGC to believe that you want it.

Just my impression

GIDustin
Years of Service
User Offline
@Chris Tate,

I agree with you. First off though, anyone who doesn't want to keep getting emails about this thread should probably unsubscribe from it. As long as this thread remains open, there is a small glimmer of hope that an update will be made. Once you lock it, that hope is gone. I would rather not give up until I hear definitively from TGC either way. I am usually a pessimist, I really want to see DBPro updated, so I am hanging on to this.

DBPro's code is all on Google Code (https://code.google.com/p/darkbasicpro/) so we could not only find bugs, detail the problem with projects that showcase the bug, but also offer the fix as well.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Aug 2013 19:49
GIDustin I agree with you.

Quote: "DBPro's code is all on Google Code"

I've never worked out how to use that - I expect to see some sort of heirarchy of source code files but instead just see folder names such svn, branches, trunk and not much else. How and where are you supposed to enter these mysterious svn commands - and what do you see when you do?

I'm sure the code could have been made available in a more accessible way - The TGC Forum would have been the obvious choice. I feel I'm missing something "obvious" here.