Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Freedom Engine development frozen

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 21:43
I thought I'd share some news just released by Lee Some of you will be pleased to hear I'm sure!
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=203265&b=47

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 21:54
The intrest in fe where well also smaller then expected ?

Android 2.3 , ZTE Skate , 480x800 , 800 mhz , Samsung Galaxy Y , 240x320 , 832 mhz , Sony ericson arc 480x854 , 1 ghz
Android 4.0 , Dmtech 3g 9738B , 1024x768 , 9.7 inches , 1.2 ghz
AgentSam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 22:37 Edited at: 30th Jan 2013 07:10
A WISE DECISION

Before the moaning and groaning begins -- from all those who are sorry that the Freedom Engine will now be trailing behind AppGameKit -- let me be the first to congratulate TGC on their wise decision which will allow AppGameKit development to be more focused!

FE AS A TEACHING TOOL

In november I wrote about the possibility of using the Freedom Engine as a teaching platform at the local high school, of which I am now a board member.

It sounds like I may have to scrap that idea. There are plenty of free development environments I can use for the programming course, but I did like the idea of using FE to make the course easily accessible to beginners. (And RickV assured me that TGC would be happy to see FE used in a school setting to teach students.)

Perhaps FE will still be an option, if we stay away from 3D, which is the least functional part of FE. (Opinions?)

FREEDOM ENGINE FROZEN

I would say, that I am a bit surprised that TGC had the guts to freeze development on FE, after making such a fuzz about it.

Perhaps it is the limited manpower at TGC, or the amount of complaints about current bugs in AppGameKit that finally solidified this decision. What ever it was, I'm glad it didn't take TGC longer than this to realize. Like Jim Hawkins wrote, the situation "really is calling out for consolidation."

All in all - I'm very happy about this decision because I want to see AppGameKit become a stable platform, and I hated seeing TGC going off on tangents.

Cheers,
AgentSam
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 22:46
I'll admit that I didn't see this coming but I agree with Agent Sam on the fact that freezing it (not abandoning it) is a good move for the time being.

Quote: "There are plenty of free development environments I can use for the programming course"

Have you heard of sourceLair? Not exactly great for graphical programming but a great way to write code without having to install software every machine. It does support a lot of languages though.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Jan 2013 23:26
Glad to see more solid work being done on AppGameKit, finally the money will be used in a focussed manner

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 00:45
Very wise decision, IMHO.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
gbison
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 02:47
Wonderful!

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was to convince the world he didn't exist."
Zwarteziel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 10:23 Edited at: 30th Jan 2013 10:27
This must have been a hard decision, but one that makes a lot of sense from a business-point of view. I was a bit worried when, in 2012, TGC suddenly announced FE, started a kickstarter for FPSC and examined upgrading DBPro. While these are all interesting products, I think AppGameKit needs more (continued) focus so it can truly flourish and reach a broad spectrum of users. The work that has has been done on 1.8 is amazing.. I really hope it can continue as smooth as possible.
MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 11:10
good idea. In Italy there is a motto that sounds like "better late than never". A lot of "alarms" have been raised by myself and a lot of people in the fora about compiler instability, need for language improvement, command bugs, betas being alphas and not betas, and so on. For big companies (if you are Google, IBM, Microsoft, HP or Apple) it is good to target a lot of projects hoping that at least one becomes the hen with golden eggs, cutting the dead braches as soons as they show not to be profitable. For a small companies, with scarce but talented resources, you have to focus your small team only on 1-2 projects, that must be carefully chosen from a strategic point of view. In the meantime you have to keep alive activities that guarantee the survival of the company.
I am convinced that FE is a good idea, HTML5 is not so friendly and easy, so there is room for a cloud development environment, but, since TGC is not Intel, at the moment , resources are better to be addressed to AGK.
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2013 21:31
Wise decision! gather the herd! (TGC developers), don't let them stray off in every direction. Focus on getting AppGameKit stable!

----------------
AGK programmer
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
There are a good number of HTML5 toolkits that work wonders, so something new like FE had very little chance to succeed against a toolkit with a solid base.

On the other hand AppGameKit has much more potential especially if it supports platform like Blackberry and Windows8 phone, etc...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 11:29:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 11:29:18