Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / App Game Kit 108 Beta 11

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2013 00:05
My company produces networked systems. We strongly advise testing with all firewalls and virus-checkers off and then adding things in.

-- Jim DO IT FASTER, EASIER AND BETTER WITH AppGameKit FOR PASCAL
Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the update I was just wondering does the blackberry have add support.
I tried to get it working but the add box is just white.
TGC is the best.
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2013 02:24 Edited at: 14th Apr 2013 02:24
Jimmanator Blackberry does have ad support. Only Inneractive ads work with Blackberry.
xGEKKOx
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2013 05:03
Hi Paul,
anyway if i not agree in total for the iOS version, i love AppGameKit and i will always use it.
Continue always in this way.

Long life to Steve!
Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Jimmanator Blackberry does have ad support. Only Inneractive ads work with Blackberry. "

Ok that's Great Thanks for the reply.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
seems like AppGameKit is finally coming to a point where it is very usable.

Please TGC, keep on investing on this toolset, don't sleep on it like with darkbasic & dgdk
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2013 13:12
@Paul
in the 2d part i am happy with this version
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2013 20:48
108.11 takes a lot longer to compile than 107.6.

There also seems to be something different with the contact commands in 108.11 compared to 107.6. My player sprite reports no contacts with my level sprites.

I also find it weird that SetSpriteShapeBox now uses the sprite offset instead of the top left corner of the sprite. That makes no sense to me at all.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2013 23:13
@JimHawkins

Yeah, I did that, but when I assigned the app all the permissions and the highest level of trust settings there's no logic nor indication that it should be stopping it after a few minutes - pretty certain it's not meant too! But as the program generally worked perfectly for a few minutes, and I haven't had the server running for sustained periods since my beta release, two AppGameKit beta's came before I was aware of the problem, which is why it didn;t spring to mind.

Still, lesson learned and also a safety tip for others about ZoneAlarm (which until then I had great faith in!).
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 00:03
Quote: "108.11 takes a lot longer to compile than 107.6."

I have noticed this too, my project takes twice as long to compile now. I have jumped from 1076 to 10811, I've not used any of the 108 beta's to this point.

Also the FPS has dropped from 60 down to 30, which is disappointing; it's quite erratic during game-play - I was getting a steady 60 FPS on 1076. The performance of 10811 is not as good as 1076. That's a step backwards surely?

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 00:12
@Santman - I don't have any experience of ZoneAlarm, so I can't comment on what it does or does not do. It's not used in any academic or corporate environments that I know of.

I know from bitter experience that badly-configured firewalls can cause loads of mysterious network failures! Quite often IT staff test with administrative privileges and then forget to apply that to relevant user levels. Nothing involving networks is easy!

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 00:43
@JimHawkins

Not the technical side of it that Paul does, but that's why I use AppGameKit! Lol. Could have perhaps used some of your expertise but, apart from probably irritating Paul, with the offending program gone everything works. Finally.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 03:02
I've heard of many instances of ZoneAlarm causing incredibly confusing problems with all sorts of programs (particularly multiplayer games). I would never get ZoneAlarm for anything.

Clonkex

Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 16:33
Quote: "in beta 10 android player, the FacebookLogout() in tier1 does nothing for me"

I've found that the Facebook app and the iOS browser cache the login details so even though the AppGameKit app forgets the details as soon as it requests a new login the same login details get used without user interaction.

Quote: "I'd like to see the rest of the Android Facebook commands implemented"

Android should be at the same level of support as iOS, which commands aren't working?

Quote: "there appears to be no problems at all now pressing back, keyboard just goes away as it's meant to. Was it something specific to the Galaxy Note 2?"

It was actually the result of a bug fix for the Nexus 7 which would crash when pressing the back button with the keyboard visible. The new method somewhat abuses the way the event queue works so I hope it works everywhere.

Quote: "So anyone wanting to code a server through AGK....stay clear of zone alarm!"

Glad that problem sorted itself out

Quote: "108.11 takes a lot longer to compile than 107.6."

This is a known issue from the work done to make it compatible with Freedom Engine, Lee and I have talked about it and we will be improving it in the future.

Quote: "seems to be something different with the contact commands in 108.11 compared to 107.6"

There was a bug fix for the contact reporting incorrect positions but the contacts themselves should be unchanged.

Quote: "I also find it weird that SetSpriteShapeBox now uses the sprite offset instead of the top left corner"

Anything physics based uses the offset point as that's what it rotates around.

Quote: "Also the FPS has dropped from 60 down to 30"

Can you send me the project or replicate it in a small example?
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 16:52
FacebookPostOnMyWall and FacebookPostOnFriendsWall help says they are only supported on iOS (and both really need to have the parameter information filled out).

Other commands that say only for iOS:
FacebookShowLikeButton - need details for parameters
FacebookDestroyLikeButton
FacebookInviteFriend - needs parameter details for 'ID'

Both Twitter commands specify only for iOS. Is that correct?

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
AGK Community Tester and AppGameKit Master
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 17:11
Paul
Take a look at this thread. I will see about getting a non working example.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=204844&b=41

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 17:26
@ian Rees

What device are you testing on? I had issues with my galaxy s3 capping at 30fps,but it was the power saving mode. Not sure if it's the same for all android devices, but certain the s3 and note 2 any change to this setting doesn't seem to take effect until restart, so if it defaulted to on, then turning it off and running an app again made no difference. Turning it off, then restarting fixed it.
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 17:32
@Santman

This is on my Windows 7 laptop.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 18:01
Well, since the help page for FacebookPostOnMyWall didn't offer any information about how to use the parameters, I tried a couple of things.

I put a complete URL (including the 'http' part) in the szLink field and the path and name for a file in szPicture field.

With an entry in the szPicture field, the pop-up for the message appeared with an error message.

With just the szLink in it, the command posted the message I typed into the pop-up dialog with an inner bubble with the szName in bold followed by the szCaption value. But the link didn't appear anywhere.

In none of my tests did the szDescription appear anywhere.

When I tested with the szLink and szPicture fields as blank, the only comment to appear was the one I typed into the pop-up dialog.

So it would appear that the command is a bit flaky at the moment.

This is testing directly on my iPad 2 (iOS 5.1).

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 18:38
I just tested the same code working on iOS (more or less) on Android and it worked fine (or at least as good as on iOS).

So, it appears that all the Facebook commands are probably working on Android as well.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 18:50 Edited at: 15th Apr 2013 18:51
Quote: "This is on my Windows 7 laptop"

We use a new method of frame rate limiting on Windows Vista and above that uses what's called the Desktop Window Manager to sync the refresh rate to the screen. Using SetSyncRate(60,0) or SetVSyncOn(1) turns this on so if you wanted to force it off you could use SetSyncRate(59,0)

Quote: "FacebookShowLikeButton - need details for parameters
FacebookDestroyLikeButton
FacebookInviteFriend - needs parameter details for 'ID'"

Those commands are no longer supported on any platform as we moved to a different Facebook SDK.

FacebookPostOnMyWall and FacebookPostOnFriendsWall are both supported on Android, but be aware that the URL must match the one given to Facebook in the Website With Facebook Login section for it to accept URL.
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 19:09
Quote: "We use a new method of frame rate limiting on Windows Vista and above that uses what's called the Desktop Window Manager to sync the refresh rate to the screen. Using SetSyncRate(60,0) or SetVSyncOn(1) turns this on so if you wanted to force it off you could use SetSyncRate(59,0)"

Great - that has sorted it. Is there a downside to using that though? Should you check if the FPS drops down to say 40 on Windows and then call that command?

Thanks Paul.

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 19:22
Thank you Paul. Details for the parameters for the other Facebook commands would be helpful.

I have the basic code ready (sort of) and have been testing with some test code provided by someone who was reporting a bug. This code included his Facebook App Id and I decided that I really should get my own set up.

I set up as a Facebook Developer and started creating my new app identity. Then I had to start entering things for the Native iOS and Native Android apps. This is where it gets tricky.

For iOS, all the values look pretty obvious.

For Android, what goes in the Class Name and Key Hashes fields?

I might guess that 'Class Name' should be the package name plus '.NativeActivity'.

Quote: "the URL must match the one given to Facebook in the Website With Facebook Login section for it to accept URL. "

Does this mean that my Site URL should somehow accept a Facebook login? The popup help for that field says "URL for your website. For security reasons, we will only redirect to this URL."

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 20:13 Edited at: 15th Apr 2013 20:14
Quote: "Is there a downside to using that though? Should you check if the FPS drops down to say 40 on Windows and then call that command?"

Only downside may be some screen tearing when VSync is forced off, if the screen is only refreshing at 30 fps you might want to keep that and use timer based movement where possible.

Quote: "I might guess that 'Class Name' should be the package name plus '.NativeActivity'."

Correct, for the hash I just bookmarked this site [hre]http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4388992/key-hash-for-android-facebook-app[/href] and refer back to it when I need to generate one. You will need to generate a hash for the debug keystore and your release keystore for when you export the signed version of the app.

Quote: "Does this mean that my Site URL should somehow accept a Facebook login?"

No, it is just to tell Facebook that you own this website so they will let you include links to it in messages.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 20:27
Paul - are you using DwmGetCompositionTimingInfo() to get the DWM timing? I assume that we can set the sync rate to 120, rather than 60, on 120Hz monitors like mine?

Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 20:42
Thank you Paul, that is all the information I need. Now I just need to get my WIP playing nice with v10811.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 21:48
Quote: "are you using DwmGetCompositionTimingInfo() to get the DWM timing?"

No, we use DwmFlush() to wait for the next draw cycle.
Ancient Lady
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 22:54
I just discovered an oops in the v10811 UntitledViewController.m file (for iOS).

The setFrameInterval function (method?) takes one input, named interval. If it is greater than one, it is supposed to use it to set some frameInterval attribute (global variable?). But, the original code, sets "frameInterval = frameInterval" instead of "frameInterval = interval".

This might explain why manually setting the desired FPS doesn't have the expected effect.

Cheers,
Ancient Lady
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2013 23:21
Inneractive seems to work much better now. Actually shows ads in Windows now. Seems to ignore the first calls to SetAdvertVisible(0) but works after a second or so.
Also using AdMob and Inneractive simultaneously seems to be OK, but all I see is AdMob on Android if I am using both. I'm assuming this is because I'm getting 100% fill and I've called SetAdMobDetails() after SetInnerActiveDetails()

Keep up the good work!

apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
I just tested the latest Beta with a BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha C (qwerty keyboard dev phone). Its works with no issues. The AppGameKit is able to get raw input from the devices physical keyboard.
Auger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2013 02:45
Okay I got FacebookPostOnMyWall () working on android now. Is it possible to just post on my wall without the dialog? I want my app to just post a message on the my wall without typing it.

Something like
FacebookPostOnMyWall ( szLink, szPicture, szName, szCaption, szDescription, szMessage )
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2013 06:25 Edited at: 16th Apr 2013 07:22
Maybe I'm missing the point, but can't we just use OpenBrowser() with a URL link to post on a wall?
The setup is pretty easy and details can be found here:
https://developers.facebook.com/docs/reference/dialogs/feed/

Just wondering myself if there will be support on Android for the Facebook Like button commands and rating the app for the stable release.
Thanks

Check out dFenz on Google Play, Windows, or Mac:
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2013 10:24 Edited at: 16th Apr 2013 10:30
Quote: "Your graphics card does not support one or more OpenGL features required by this program. Please check if there are any driver updates available for your card."

Paul - rather than have this message appear and then close the program, can we have a function that checks for this which will let us decide how to continue?

I know my game runs on a PC affected by this but with the 108 beta's it's not given a chance as the game is closed after this message is displayed.

If I had a function to check for this I could have my own warning/notice in my help screens.

Thanks.

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2013 10:51
Quote: "If I had a function to check for this I could have my own warning/notice in my help screens."

The more control we have with AppGameKit the better. (So I agree )

Clonkex

MarcoBruti
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2013 15:33
No hopes to have support for old graphic adapter, via DirectX? would it be possibile to have a 1.076 fixed version with all fixes that do not use newer graphic capabilities, keeping compatibility with OpenGL 1.x?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2013 20:38 Edited at: 16th Apr 2013 20:39
Quote: "Maybe I'm missing the point, but can't we just use OpenBrowser() with a URL link to post on a wall?"

That's the way I have done it for one of my apps. It works if you only wish to post to the user's wall, but you still would have to use AGK's Facebook commands to pull in data of course.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2013 21:49
Paul:
Did you see that I posted the contact bug in my thread? Do you want me to add it to the issues board? I would appreciate it if you could fix this bug before 108 goes final.

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 14:04 Edited at: 17th Apr 2013 18:32
@paul (or anyone else who knows!)

For the in app purchasing, I assume that google consider subscriptions a managed product, but can agk use a subscription purchase? In the technical sense I mean, in calling it up and returning the correct result etc - the actual subscription part my server will handle.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 14:17
@Santman:

Quote: "For the in app purchasing, I assume that good consider subscriptions a managed product"

Just a heads-up: that sentence makes no sense whatsoever. If you want people to answer you, consider changing the wording around so we are more likely to be able to understand you

I don't mean to offend, but you may not have noticed that it's difficult to work out what you mean. I'm just informing you to help, so you can get your answer more quickly.

Clonkex

Santman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2013 21:35
@Clonkex,

Thanks for the heads up, I sent that from my phone at lunch and the predictive kicked in and changed "google" to "good" without me noticing....ironic as it;s an android phone! Lol.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 02:56
Quote: "rather than have this message appear and then close the program, can we have a function that checks for this which will let us decide how to continue?"

If you see that message it means AppGameKit is missing a vital function that it needs to run. 108 made the changed to OpenGL 2.0 which is widespread, except on Intel graphics which may need a DirectX 9 path in the future.

Quote: "I assume that google consider subscriptions a managed product"

I've not tried the subscriptions IAP, officially they are not supported, but it might work.
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2013 03:34
Quote: "Thanks for the heads up, I sent that from my phone at lunch and the predictive kicked in and changed "google" to "good" without me noticing....ironic as it;s an android phone! Lol."

Oh good I was terrified you would get angry at me like almost everyone else I inform of mistakes. I like you now

Ah, Google! I tried all sorts of words in place of good, but Google never occurred to me. Makes perfect sense with Google in there

Clonkex

kochOn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2013 01:54
Hi there,

SetClearColor does not work on my android with the last agk player.
kochOn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2013 02:01
Hi,

SetClearColor does not work on my android with the last agk player.
Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 18:02
Quote: "If you see that message it means AppGameKit is missing a vital function that it needs to run. 108 made the changed to OpenGL 2.0 which is widespread, except on Intel graphics which may need a DirectX 9 path in the future."

OK thanks Paul. For games released on Windows that rules out quite a lot of computers. Are there plans for DirectX 9?

Quote: "108.11 takes a lot longer to compile than 107.6"

Quote: "This is a known issue from the work done to make it compatible with Freedom Engine, Lee and I have talked about it and we will be improving it in the future."

Tier 1 compile times for my game:

1076 - 38 seconds
10811 - 122 seconds

That's 3 times longer.

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 19:48
Due to the time it takes to compile with 108 I will be using 107 to develop. Problem with using 2 installs is that I have to reboot my PC to compile in the other version. Why is that?

Ian Rees
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 19:53
Quote: "Due to the time it takes to compile with 108 I will be using 107 to develop. Problem with using 2 installs is that I have to reboot my PC to compile in the other version. Why is that?"

I am doing this too. I can run up 1076 and compile, close it down, run up 10811 and compile without needing to reboot.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 20:20
I bounce back between 1076 to many of the different 108s without having to reboot.
I have every version from 1076 up installed into different directories and shortcuts to each IDE on my desktop.
Maybe you should rebuild the shortcut you use to launch the IDE?

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 20:24
I have separate shortcuts for both versions. If I compile a project in 107 it will keep compiling in 107 until I reboot. Same if I compile in 108.

Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2013 21:04
Oh and BTW... I had mentioned using FB share via the simple URL method... there is an issue with this. On my android devices it is pulling the image from another app (some sort of bug app) and although the link is correct none of the details in the post show right, so I guess using this method on android isn't going to cut it.

Due to the lack of information on how to use the Facebook AppGameKit commands I've not yet been able to get FaceBookPostOnMyWall to work yet, it asks me to log in then after i enter my credentials it fails to post telling me to try again later...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-27 16:44:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-27 16:44:52