Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Announcement - TGC/AGK Competition - Educational Maths game!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I won the Snake Game Competition, I had several months of delay, all got done in the end though. They are only a small team, although I felt a little like the winner of not much for quite a while. I'm disappointed they have not improved since my experience though. Still you (whoever wins) may do better than I did in the end, they intend to release it for a fee this time? I was pretty much told it should be a free title, which with Inneractive is a waste of time, and ended up costing me money from setting up a website, paying for android dev etc. They took so long I got sick of waiting and released it on android myself!
Sorry for the negative post, but reading this brings back unpleasant memories.

xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm surprised nobody from TGC has followed-up on this one yet after several months, but I also remember DVader's experience with Moon Snaker.

If any developers who entered this competition already have developer licenses for Android or iOS I'd suggest just releasing them yourself. I'm afraid it may still be a long time before TGC reacts, especially to provide new artwork for the winning app and to get it released on their own.
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 09:32 Edited at: 19th Aug 2013 09:34
I'm also disapointed by this. I took some serious work in my spare time to come up with an entry in time. Now several weeks have passed since they promised results. I wonder if this company is biting off more than they can chew these days with all those Kickstarter projects and what not. Feels like they forgot about us...

Visit my blog: sebastianpauli.tumblr.com
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Aug 2013 09:35
Hi,

So sorry for the delay With the Kickstarter sorted I can look at this THIS WEEK!

Massive apologies. (red faced rick)

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 11:28 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 11:28
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 19:03 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 19:26
Markus, just tried the game, it looks good... One comment, it looks like you are using SetScissor(0, 0, 0, 0). There are known problems when using this on several devices... I have a Samsung Galaxy S4, and as you can see from the below screenshot, I get a repeated image on the left and right edges...

EDIT: Ah, yeah, EnableClearColor(), that's the one I meant, not SetScissior...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 19:09
and one of mine.

error #1:
"too many stars, too many stares. disembody."
WIP: MIND!! | free fonts for your AGKs
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2013 19:12 Edited at: 27th Oct 2013 20:24
@Funnell7
oh, thank you, ups - the background is to small for 16:9,
i did not test it. use EnableClearColor( 0 ) but there should be a image
at the left and right. my bg have a wrong ratio^^...
i had upload a update.
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Months later after Rick's previous post, has there still not been an official winner declared?
xCept
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 08:41 Edited at: 30th Oct 2013 08:44
It is unfortunate that Daniel has now cancelled the other AppGameKit competition and locked that thread, two weeks before the deadline and with a couple completed entries. Although I wasn't able to participate in either of these competitions, I sympathize with the developers who put their own hard work and devotion into apps, whose efforts are now in vein. I can understand Daniel's decision to cancel it if it appeared only a couple were interested, but it's definitely an egg on the face of those who did submit apps and any others who may have been working on one but not active in the thread. While Daniel may believe that two entries is "not enough to justify the prize money" I would argue that the hours of time invested by participating developers is certainly worth something, if not at least community feedback which they can't receive since the thread is locked.

I also think there is much more to it than just the community being "unwilling to participate" as Daniel speculated in the locked thread. For starters, the AppGameKit community is small, so having a large turnout for any operation is not likely. Furthermore, many regulars (myself included) have been busy on their own WIPs and other initiatives, including the App Innovation competition which has the same deadline as Daniel's did but substantially greater incentives. There was also little to no promotion for Daniel's competition outside of the forum thread itself, I don't recall seeing it in the newsletter or anything. Of course, others undoubtedly hold skepticism towards TGC competitions due to the past several being convoluted and without resolution. Sadly, the abrupt cancellation of Daniel's competition has only solidified such weariness and leaves a very poor impression going forward with any future TGC community endeavours.

So, these are my thoughts on the topic. Again I didn't participate in either so have no emotional connection; just wanted to say what's on my mind in a civilized manner.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 11:08
Quote: "I don't recall seeing it in the newsletter or anything"

The original start and end dates fell between 2 newsletters. I always advertise competitions wherever possible.

There have been some fantastic competitions in the past, there just seems to be a lull in interest at the moment. As xCept says, we are winning very valuable prizes and thousands of dollars in prize money elsewhere. Maybe there should be a focus on getting lots of AppGameKit entries into bigger contests? Baxslash did this a few years ago with the netbook contest, creating a group that all helped each other.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 11:15
It is a real shame that these competitions have not gone well and been dropped without explanation. I honestly don't think there's any ill intent going on it's just that the people running them have either not got around to finishing things off or they have felt there was not enough input from the community. I am not justifying that, it's just a shame.

If I run another competition it will be far better organised in future. I will organise prizes myself and make sure I have them ready to hand out myself.

I'll give Rick another nudge on this one for an official comment at least.

oct(31) = dec(25)
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 12:06
The possibility of low participation or entries of low quality should be covered in the rules from the beginning, it's not right to cancel a competition when people have put hard work into it.

One Intel competition I entered recently did not guarantee the large prizes, the apps were scored by judges and only the apps with the highest scores over a required level were given prizes.

I think this is the way forward for small community competitions. The downside is that it may seem like the competition has an escape clause from giving out any prizes, which is true, but consider that no prizes have been given out for either of the 2 competitions mentioned here, that's what we have anyway. At least be up front at the start is all I am saying.

Either that, or be willing to give up the prize money no matter what, after all, the competition model does carry risk, the other option is to just pay someone to create whatever it is you want.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 12:34
Actually the competition was my idea, TGC weren't looking for a Maths App to publish. I thought it had been a while since we'd had a competition and Rick offered to publish the winner. I agree there should be some kind of get out clause but perhaps there should also be a secondary prize that could be offered instead.

oct(31) = dec(25)
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2013 12:47
As far as I know, Rick still intends to look at this so my comments are more directed toward the other competition.

Hopefully the winner here will still get published, I'm sure whoever wins would welcome feedback and improve the app before it is released.

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 15:49
Hi,

I'm very sorry to have dropped the ball on this one. The pressure of work issues this year has been the over riding focus for me. That's still not a good enough excuse and I feel very bad to have not completed something that I sanctioned with baxslash.

I will review all the apps this week and feedback to all of you. I will pick a winner and we will look to publish it. The details of that will be agreed with the winning author.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 16:02
Hi,

Can I confirm that there are ALL the entries;

markus - Maths game
LodiJoe - Rocket Math
LittlePIC - Maths_board
Scary Little Rabbit - Ticket to the mind
3d point in space - Stats App
_Pauli_ - Ninja Maths Dojo

I just don't want to miss anyone out.

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 17:04
@ Scary Little Rabbit. Your app loads, displays some text and then just a black screen. Do you have an update?

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Markus
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 19:12
@RickV
nice that you find some time now.
i wait eagerly for the rating of all.
the name of mine was Alien Math,
its also up in play store,the link is above

AGK 108 B19 : Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit : AMD Radeon HD 6670
Scary Little Rabbit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 22:45 Edited at: 9th Dec 2013 22:47
hi Rick. nice to meet you here.
Quote: "Your app loads, displays some text and then just a black screen. Do you have an update?"

sounds strange for me. I tested it on various machines with Windows XP and 7, and one Android device, but never seen that.

I uploaded new one for you, but it has no notable changes. can you attach a journal file, if the problem persists? in this build it may be located at "AGK_write_path/ticket/output/log.txt".

you may also send me any email address to set up you as beta tester for app on Google Play.

error #1:
"too many stars, too many stares. disembody."
WIP: MIND!! | free fonts for your AGKs

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 14:04:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 14:04:37