Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Any Bitcoiners Here?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 17:51
Quote: "So why would the price soar after this news? The uninitiated will suddenly see an opportunity join the bandwagon of something new and trending..."I have BitCoin, friend!" So the savvy investor knows they can buy quick, sell in the not too distant future for a handsome profit and get out before the authorities kill the value by fully sanctioning it and bringing it in line with all other currencies."

The nice thing with bitcoin is that no central authority can control it (unless they own more than 50 percent of the miners). While the transactions can technically be traced through a number of techniques, it's not exactly going to be easy for anybody to "get their cut".

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 17:52
Quote: "What controls bitcoin?"

proof of work, which keeps the rate that each "block" is solved constant, and every four year the amount of bitcoin awarded for solving a block is halved. (It is currently 25 BTC.)

The nice thing about this is there's an element of randomness to it, so while having the most powerful supercomputer gives you better odds it doesn't guarantee success.

I still don't have any bitcoin , I've been waiting for two weeks for Mt Gox to verify my account. I can't find any exchanges in the UK and the P2P exchanges are double the price. Annoying because I was ready to buy when the price was £150, and now it's £450.

Formerly OBese87.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 18:04
Quote: "While the transactions can technically be traced through a number of techniques, it's not exactly going to be easy for anybody to "get their cut""

Yes indeed, that's what will make it so interesting . It will be seriously scaring the central financial controllers that there is a financial market they can't control.

If they can't control it, it will become more sought after and the value will soar. As the value soars the value of transactions that the controllers lose also soars.

There is a huge misconception around the limit of 21 million BitCoins. It's not about the number, it's about the value. The system allows you to trade 0.00000001 of a bitcoin. So in theory one bitcoin can be worth £5,000,000 GBP, and you can still trade in five pence increments.

That would make the market ceiling a possible £105,000,000,000,000 GBP (£105 Trillion GBP). There's no government on earth that will allow a market this size to go potentially unregulated and untaxed.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 18:58
Quote: "authorities kill the value by fully sanctioning it and bringing it in line with all other currencies."

I disagree, if it is accepted then the price would soar and become stable. The huge variations in value can partly be put on the fact that people are unsure as to whether it will be accepted or it will disappear and become worthless.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 20:44
Quote: "There is a huge misconception around the limit of 21 million BitCoins. It's not about the number, it's about the value. The system allows you to trade 0.00000001 of a bitcoin. So in theory one bitcoin can be worth £5,000,000 GBP, and you can still trade in five pence increments."

Yes but your share of bitcoins will never decrease like it does when the government prints money, or is that what you are getting at?

Formerly OBese87.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 21:36
Quote: "Yes but your share of bitcoins will never decrease like it does when the government prints money"

Well that's another can of worms you just opened! It's all too damned complicated to work out the real answers.

Bitcoins are being continually printed, but we know roughly how quickly and what the upper limit is. This is technically devaluing the currency, but it's hidden because people want Bitcoins and they want them now for all the reasons we've mentioned and then more.

Then there is the fact that if you lose access to your wallet, those Bitcoins are gone forever. But nobody will ever know they are gone, so nobody will ever know how many are in circulation. you can only rely on market trends to evaluate the scarcity of the commodity. Again, this is a reversal of everything we know about currency markets, and a complete unknown influence.

And then the Bitcoin system has some other quirk that nobody talks about in much detail yet...transaction fees. This generates extra blocks in the block chain. So the number of blocks and the number of coins will never tally, and the value of transactions will be greater than the value of the coins

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when economics professors and teachers start explaining this new era to their students. I didn't really pay much attention until this thread was started (and my parents PC was hacked and the ransom demanded in BitCoins), and now I'm fascinated. Fascinated, but not buying

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 23:22
Fascinated, and perhaps a little bit scared, scared of the unknown

Whose eyes are those eyes?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2013 23:47 Edited at: 21st Nov 2013 23:47
Quote: "But nobody will ever know they are gone, so nobody will ever know how many are in circulation. "

The same can be said for coins and dollars. They can be easily lost, burned, thrown away, or just as easily sat upon for decades.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2013 07:30 Edited at: 22nd Nov 2013 07:32
nevermind, missed that there was a second page.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2013 18:38
If you have the money I'm sure there's a pretty penny to be made by 'gambling' on bitcoin, due to its wild fluctuations. Wish I had invested in the beginning.

I'm So Kawaii!
Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 04:34
Here is a great video explaining the awesomeness of Bitcoin and also it's fatal flaw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L7SOPDOvvI

a.k.a WOLF!
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 05:28
Peter Schiff has a vested interest in gold and precious metals so of course he's going to downplay any threat to his investments(since Bitcoin is sometimes referred to Gold 2.0). And anyways, his only argument is that there's nothing backing bitcoin. Well duh, it hasn't been adopted yet in the mainstream. It's actually getting to the point where merchants and others are adopting.

And his other points about the volatility and inability of merchants to use it are negated by services like BitPay that automatically convert Bitcoin to fiat currency so that merchants never actually deal in Bitcoins, they just can accept them as a type of currency due to a payment processor with much lower fees than most credit card companies(fees that should get lower with time as processors get more business).

NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 06:46
I found if you want to actually have a chance to earn bitcoins is to mine a different online currecny such as the gold coin. Because it is less popular it is easy to mine a TON of it and you can then exchange it for bitcoin on different sites. Also you could use bitcoin faucet sites they actually add up after a while!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 10:54 Edited at: 26th Nov 2013 10:54
I agree with Peter Schiff that the USA will default in the coming years and you will probably see large rises in the prices of gold, silver, bitcoin, art, then pretty much everything else.

If I had to choose a currency for the post dollar world I would choose bitcoin, it's a currency that perfectly suits our new connected world, forget storing tons of gold in fort knox on the hope it will still be there when you need it, that failed once already.

That said, the people with the power and influence will decide the terms of the post dollar world and if it's not in their interest then bitcoin will not be a part of it. Although I still hope it keeps finding traction outside of the system.

I have no bitcoins, not too interested in investing, but I would accept bitcoins if I had a business, the prospect of not needing a bank to store my money is desirable.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 15:30
Quote: "his only argument is that there's nothing backing bitcoin"

No. His point was that bitcoins do not have any kind of intrinsic value (like fiat currencies). The only thing that gives them any value is the idea that other people also believe them to have value. Gold has intrinsic value because even if it is not being used as a form a currency, it retains a certain demand based on the properties of the material. Bitcoins always has the potential to slide to be worth nothing if someone comes out with a better virtual currency.

I do agree that he has a vested interest in gold, but that doesn't make his points less valid.

Ron

a.k.a WOLF!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 20:05 Edited at: 26th Nov 2013 20:06
Interesting video. The guy obviously knows his stuff, but he's not going to be able to answer the question about the value of bitcoins definitively (although he does admit that)

2 very interesting things:

1. It's a bubble. Yes it is and many bubbles burst. But there are one or two that float.

2. Bitcoin has no intrinsic value. Again very true, but this is not unique, and I'm not talking about fiat currencies. In the UK we have millions of Scottish banknotes. They have been around for years, they are accepted everywhere, but they are not legal tender.

In the main, I tend to agree with him. Mainly because of the most valid point that people are buying Bitcoins like you buy shoes. The difference of course is that shoes have intrinsic value, especially in cold and wet climates You don't buy shoes to trade for something else and nearly all people aren't buying bitcoins to use as currency. In fact it would be idiotic to buy bitcoins as currency because it would be like buying a gift voucher; you can only spend it in very limited places.

There is some irony in the fact that people are selling coins for real currencies (check eBay). They are actually saying by their actions that Bitcoins are not as valuable as legal currencies. I doubt the same people are trading Euros for Dollars, or Yen for Rand.

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 21:38
Industry use accounts for something like 10% of gold demand. The remaining 90% is jewelry and investments. So while gold does have intrinsic value it also has significant non-intrinsic value.

Pretty similar to any other currency, just a lump of gold has a lot more intrinsic value than a bank note.

Quote: "There is some irony in the fact that people are selling coins for real currencies (check eBay). They are actually saying by their actions that Bitcoins are not as valuable as legal currencies. I doubt the same people are trading Euros for Dollars, or Yen for Rand."

No they are making money through arbitrage. For whatever reason it's expensive to buy bitcoins on ebay. So there is profit to be made buying bitcoins elsewhere and then reselling them on ebay.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2013 21:54
but then - jewelry is still a demand.

Bitcoins is not demanded is such a way as far as I can see ; )

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 00:42
They're trading for fiat currencies because bitcoin isn't legal tender. And until bitcoin expands to a more mainstream position in the market, legal tender will still be the final form of currency in any transaction.

Quote: "I do agree that he has a vested interest in gold, but that doesn't make his points less valid."

Sure it does. It blinds him to fact that Bitcoin does have intrinsically valuable features such as built-in escrow and various other services that haven't been tapped yet when compared to fiat currencies. It's also far more divisible and cheaper to transact with than gold or fiat is(microbitcoins anyone?). Just because it's not tangible and shiny doesn't mean it doesn't have intrinsic value.

Quote: " 1. It's a bubble. Yes it is and many bubbles burst. But there are one or two that float."

It's possibly a bubble, or it's simply correcting to its proper value relative to other currencies. No one can truly read any financial market much less the Bitcoin market, so I'll keep my mind on that one.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 02:22 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 02:23
Quote: "No. His point was that bitcoins do not have any kind of intrinsic value (like fiat currencies). The only thing that gives them any value is the idea that other people also believe them to have value. Gold has intrinsic value because even if it is not being used as a form a currency, it retains a certain demand based on the properties of the material. Bitcoins always has the potential to slide to be worth nothing if someone comes out with a better virtual currency. "

Bitcoins will forever have value unless (or until?) the protocol is broken and the system fails.

Quote: "arbitrage. For whatever reason it's expensive to buy bitcoins on ebay. "

Don't *ever* sell bitcoins on ebay or via paypal. The reason bitcoins are expensive on ebay is because most people buying them are going to scam the seller. The scam works like this, go to ebay, buy bitcoins for whatever price, then tell ebay you never got them, or reverse payment or outright steal someone else's account or whatever. Bitcoin transfers are instant and not reversible, paypal payments are reversible especially for not-physical items. The seller of the bitcoins have absolutely no recourse since ebay and paypal frown upon non-physical items.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 02:38 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 02:41
Ok, so I just installed Litecoin.
Can someone please send me a tiny transaction so I know it works?

Send it here: LcXumgq6LB4sBWozMve2inLK8kvp6RyZNT

I promise to give it back

I've tried a few of those, "View ads to get paid' site and such, they don't seem to be working

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 03:41 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 03:42
Quote: "Sure it does."

No it doesn't. A biased view does not necessarily mean that the conclusions are wrong.

The features of Bitcoin (such as built-in Escrow) does NOT give it intrinsic value. It is still only worth what people imagine it to be worth. It has no properties that give it value outside of the perception that it has value. If the market took a dive, and no one was willing to trade anything for Bitcoin, there is no longer anything useful about it. Also, some of the cool features such as built-in escrow are only useful if the price is able to stabilize. Few people would be willing to hold a transaction in Escrow for any period of time with the volatility of the price. There is way too much risk.

Quote: "Bitcoins will forever have value unless (or until?) the protocol is broken and the system fails."

No. They will only have value as long as someone is willing to trade something else for them.

a.k.a WOLF!
Inflictive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 03:51
Quote: "It's not going to be as stable as the USD for a while yet."

It'll never be stable. USD is a centralized, regulated currency with teams of people working around the clock adjusting the inflation rate to ensure that the value stays extremley stable (since after all, the world economy pretty much depends on it). Bitcoin will always have some value, but being decentralized and uncontrolled means the value, in terms of a stable currency like USD, will never really be stable. Sure, some companies may accept bitcoin payments for products, but the value of those products will always be determined in terms of a currency like USD, and the bitcoin price of that product would just be determined by the current trading price of a bitcoin.

Also, I tried to buy some bitcoin a week ago (right before the value doubled ) but all the exchanges required like a bank wire transfer with a $500 minimum and a 2 week waiting time. What's up with that, why can't I just paypal? srsly

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 04:57
Quote: " Also, I tried to buy some bitcoin a week ago (right before the value doubled ) but all the exchanges required like a bank wire transfer with a $500 minimum and a 2 week waiting time. What's up with that, why can't I just paypal? srsly"

Because Paypal is dumb. If you want to buy Bitcoin, the best way is to use Coinbase and then withdraw it to wherever you want it to go.

Quote: "The features of Bitcoin (such as built-in Escrow) does NOT give it intrinsic value. It is still only worth what people imagine it to be worth. It has no properties that give it value outside of the perception that it has value. If the market took a dive, and no one was willing to trade anything for Bitcoin, there is no longer anything useful about it. Also, some of the cool features such as built-in escrow are only useful if the price is able to stabilize. Few people would be willing to hold a transaction in Escrow for any period of time with the volatility of the price. There is way too much risk."

The intrinsic value of gold is that it's shiny and somewhat rare. It's a good conductor of electricity but it's too malleable to be truly usable without creating an alloy. So you're saying that a shiny kinda-sorta practically useful thing is inherently more intrinsically valuable over something that demonstrably has more inherent properties to create value in a modern money system?

I just don't get why you think gold has an objective value when just about everything else has a subjective value.

And about the volatility, how long has the USD been around? ~200 years? Bitcoin has only been around 3-4 years, I'd give it more time before calling it quits.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 05:28
Quote: "No. They will only have value as long as someone is willing to trade something else for them."

You'll always find someone willing to use bitcoins (as long as the it is still functioning as intended).

A million bitcoin clones can pop up and it wouldn't change a thing, as long as the system still works (ie no flaws are found), the coins will be worth something. Why? Because there's still a limited supply, and that's all you need in order to have something you can use as a currency.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 15:17
Quote: "The intrinsic value of gold is that it's shiny and somewhat rare. It's a good conductor of electricity but it's too malleable to be truly usable without creating an alloy. So you're saying that a shiny kinda-sorta practically useful thing is inherently more intrinsically valuable over something that demonstrably has more inherent properties to create value in a modern money system?
"

Absolutely. The functionality of bitcoin is only worth as much as it's perceived value as a currency. In other words, if the value of the bitcoin drops to be worth essentially nothing, the cool functionality of bitcoin is also worthless. Gold has intrinsic value because it has demand outside of it's perceived value as a currency.

Quote: "I just don't get why you think gold has an objective value when just about everything else has a subjective value."

I don't think gold has objective value. It is still subjective. It is still only worth what people will trade for it. The difference is that gold has properties that make it useful outside of simply being a currency. Bitcoin does not.

Quote: "And about the volatility, how long has the USD been around? ~200 years? Bitcoin has only been around 3-4 years, I'd give it more time before calling it quits."

The value of the US dollar was built on the gold standard. It became the reserve currency of the world because it was redeemable for gold. When the US ended backing the US dollar with gold in 1973, they got away with it for a couple of reasons. First, so many world governments were holding US dollars as their reserves. If they tried to move away from the US dollar at that point, their reserves would have quickly become worthless. The main reason though is the agreement that the US made with Saudi Arabia that all transactions for oil would have to be made in US dollars. This means that anyone wanting to buy oil, must buy US dollars first. It is the link to oil that gives the US dollar stability.

Quote: "You'll always find someone willing to use bitcoins (as long as the it is still functioning as intended).

A million bitcoin clones can pop up and it wouldn't change a thing, as long as the system still works (ie no flaws are found), the coins will be worth something. Why? Because there's still a limited supply, and that's all you need in order to have something you can use as a currency."

That just isn't true. Limited supply isn't what gives something value. Demand is what gives something value. Limited supply is only one component that makes things have demand.
Like I mentioned above, the US dollar has demand because people need dollars to buy oil. But, the supply of US dollars has essentially become unlimited. The US Federal Reserve Bank has printed trillions of dollars to bail-out foreign governments. There has been inflation, but not nearly as much as there should have been. It is stable because the demand for US dollars has seen little change despite an un-proportional growth in the supply of money. Here is a simpler example: Let's say you have tickets for a really big concert. You buy them for $100. The tickets are in such demand that you can easily sell them for $300. But you decide to wait it out until closer, expecting the value to grow even more. Then, all of a sudden, the lead singer dies in an over-dose and the concert is cancelled. There is still a limited supply of concert tickets, but the value of them is now pretty much nothing.

Such a HUGE part of the bitcoin demand right now people seeking the huge return potential. The problem is that if the value of bitcoin stays so volatile, then people are going to become increasingly weary about using it. If it stays low, then it is going to have trouble becoming widely distributed because the mass interest will also stay low. If it remains high, then it opens the door to bitcoin clones. People will put their money into clones because they are looking for the huge return potential. This will depress the value of bitcoin because it will decrease the demand.

a.k.a WOLF!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 15:39
Quote: "This will depress the value of bitcoin because it will decrease the demand"

But it won't hit 0. If nobody wants bitcoins the network would fail long before that point.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 15:54
Quote: "But it won't hit 0. If nobody wants bitcoins the network would fail long before that point."

What happens if it gets low enough that the network fails?

a.k.a WOLF!
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 16:15
I agree with everything Ron has said.

Bitcoin still has advantages over gold as a currency in the modern age. If successful, there may be many clones but they would also have to go through many bumpy years until they are accepted as a currency, even at this point Bitcoin is still not there. So they may be a threat but Bitcoin would not be replaced in a sudden swoop making them worthless, you may see it coming years in advance.

The intrinsic value stuff may not be important as you think, or not important at all.

Most money now is digital anyway, backed by nothing other than peoples promises to pay loans back. The banks create and destroy this money as loans are taken and repaid. Most economists agree that this credit system is a good thing, I partly disagree but it does show that money can be almost completely digital and backed by anything.

Off topic but I think the problem we have today is that the promises backing our money can not be honored(mortgages/student loans etc), making the money/credit illegitimate.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 16:32
The Bitcoin euphoria highlights one big thing...there is no such thing as a trustworthy currency. Bitcoing is getting slated (by me as well as others) for being a young system, founded on nothing. Dollars and Sterling are old systems, now founded on nothing (but they were originally founded on something substantial and credible).

The established currencies work because of their momentum, good distribution and acceptance over hundreds of years. Bitcoin is trying to achieve the same, at a highly accelerated rate. There isn't anything wrong with speed per se, 100 years ago we were just getting off the ground and talking over distances after thousands of years of slow progression. Now we can reach the moon and Mars, and talk to anyone from anywhere with a pocket device.

The most incredible thing about Bitcoin to me is the hype and the marketing. The marketeers have done a brilliant job, I take my hat off to them. Bitcoin could be a lottery, and handed out on a schedule to lucky winners. But they have created the virtual concept of mining for Bitcoins, akin to mining for Gold. The end result is the same - a steady and predictable flow of Bitcoins into the market. But you've got hoardes of people churning up the planet's energy resources on...solving meaningless mathematical puzzles! They could at least have set them off processing the search for a cure for cancer or something more meaningful. It is estimated that the cost of electricity per Bitcoin is now greater than the value of the coin it generates, and it will get progressively more expensive over time.

Indicium
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "But you've got hoardes of people churning up the planet's energy resources on...solving meaningless mathematical puzzles! "

I thought they were verifying transactions?

They see me coding, they hating. http://indi-indicium.blogspot.co.uk/
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 17:03
Quote: " I thought they were verifying transactions?"

They are. It's a complicated relationship but they aren't generating SHA-256 hashes for nothing.

Quote: " It is estimated that the cost of electricity per Bitcoin is now greater than the value of the coin it generates, and it will get progressively more expensive over time."

Not anymore. With ASICs and other specialized miners coming out, the network hashrate is getting much higher than anticipated. It's no longer feasible to use GPUs and FPGAs to mine, but it's not out of reach to ASICs and the like.

Quote: " What happens if it gets low enough that the network fails?"

Why would the network fail if the value relative to USD goes too low? Do you mean from a lack of traffic? That's possible, but that's a very small probability because Bitcoin has survived having almost no market share and thus no real relative value for over a year before just now hitting the bigtime.

In other news, BTC/USD is now over $1000 on MtGox.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 17:09 Edited at: 27th Nov 2013 17:14
Quote: "Bitcoin still has advantages over gold as a currency in the modern age."

It does. I definitely agree.

Quote: "The intrinsic value stuff may not be important as you think, or not important at all."

Maybe so when you consider the imaginary value of the current world currencies. But, I think that is more of a problem with all the other currencies than it is a non-problem with bitcoin. If you hold any world currency, it's value is only as good as the economic system behind it. If the link between oil and US dollars went away, followed by a collapse of the US economy, the US dollar's value would tank. This would also destroy the value of a lot of other world currencies that the US dollar helps prop-up. It will always be a big house of cards and no one will ever know how close it is to collapsing. It might not ever fall. But, it can and there is risk associated with that. Even if all the economies of the world collapse, gold will still have value. That is why the intrinsic value stuff is so important. It might not seem important while things remain propped-up, but if things come crashing down, the intrinsic value will be the only thing that matters. To be fair, bitcoin transcends the stability of a country's economic situation much better than government issued currency. But, it still doesn't come close to matching gold.

Quote: "Most money now is digital anyway, backed by nothing other than peoples promises to pay loans back. The banks create and destroy this money as loans are taken and repaid. Most economists agree that this credit system is a good thing, I partly disagree but it does show that money can be almost completely digital and backed by anything.

Off topic but I think the problem we have today is that the promises backing our money can not be honored(mortgages/student loans etc), making the money/credit illegitimate."

I agree with all of this 100%!

Quote: "The Bitcoin euphoria highlights one big thing...there is no such thing as a trustworthy currency.
"

I couldn't agree more! Well said.

UPDATE:
Quote: "Why would the network fail if the value relative to USD goes too low? Do you mean from a lack of traffic? That's possible, but that's a very small probability because Bitcoin has survived having almost no market share and thus no real relative value for over a year before just now hitting the bigtime."

Haha! I have no idea! I was responding to bitJericho saying that the value could never reach zero because the network would fail first. I'm not sure what would cause the network to fail, but if it did, wouldn't that just mean that bitcoins are useless giving them no value?

a.k.a WOLF!
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 18:21
Quote: "Haha! I have no idea! I was responding to bitJericho saying that the value could never reach zero because the network would fail first. I'm not sure what would cause the network to fail, but if it did, wouldn't that just mean that bitcoins are useless giving them no value?"

As long as there's two people running the bitcoin client and a couple of miners processing transactions, the network technically can't fail. But of course if it gets anywhere close to that point Bitcoin would be for all uses and purposes useless.

Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 19:00
I think for the time being at least there's still a lot of business to be made with BitCoin. Investment always has its risks.

I'm So Kawaii!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Nov 2013 19:20

Quote: "Last week, Sir Richard Branson said his Virgin Galactic space flight venture would become the latest place to accept Bitcoin as a valid form of payment."

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 00:14
Well apparently bitcoin is now with $1000 USD.
http://thenextweb.com/insider/2013/11/27/bitcoin-passes-1000-mark-first-time/

Bitcoin is grossly over-valued

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 01:09
Overvalued compared to what?

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 04:32
Quote: " Bitcoin is grossly over-valued"

Actually it's considered to be grossly under-valued compared to almost any fiat currency, much less the USD. If the market cap of Bitcoin reaches anywhere near the trillions of USD that are out there then the price per bitcoin will be closer to $10k or more.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 11:33
Quote: "Overvalued compared to what?"

Compared to other entities that you can't see, smell, hear, touch, taste or exchange in over 99% of retail services.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 15:17
Quote: "Maybe so when you consider the imaginary value of the current world currencies. But, I think that is more of a problem with all the other currencies than it is a non-problem with bitcoin. If you hold any world currency, it's value is only as good as the economic system behind it. "

I disagree that it is the lack of intrinsic value that has been a problem with currencies around the world.

I would put most of the blame for our currency woes at the doorstep of the people who are allowed to create it. They always create too much, whether it be banks or central banks. This is the main problem with fiat money and probably the main reason gold/bitcoin are so attractive.

To take the credit example. One person may give his friend some apples every week on the understanding that the friend will fix his roof before winter. They may decide to keep track of this debt by writing it on a piece of paper, this piece of paper can be considered money and when the roof is fixed it can be destroyed. How much intrinsic value was in that piece of paper, none. Also, if neither of them had gold does that mean that they should not be allowed to come to an arrangement? This is the problem with gold and bitcoin.

To take the fiat money example. The government could pay workers to create a road network. These pieces of paper represent work done, they have no intrinsic value, but they have value because the work has been done on behalf of the nation, so they can be spent anywhere within that nation. This money has the advantage that the work has been done in the past. Credit is work that may happen in the future, what if our roof fixer dies after consuming all the apples? It also has the advantage of having no interest attached to it, unlike credit.

Strangely, the government money creation I describe above does not happen. Instead, the government borrows the money at interest from the banks(which they create instead), essentially making it credit and putting the nation in debt. Anyway, the paper money we do have in circulation has no intrinsic value, but it works, I would argue.

Digital or fiat money works until someone decides to expand it too much or expand credit systems on top of it, this can also happen, and has happened with gold in the past.

As for the current value of Bitcoin, there is no way of knowing if it is overpriced yet. In 10 years we could all be using it, in which case it is undervalued

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 15:43
There's a small problem with the example. The apples are payment in full for the roof. The paper is a receipt, not a note. If the roof is not fixed then it is a bad debt. The paper is a receipt for a promise that was not fulfilled, it never had any worth at any point.

If you tried to pass the paper to someone else as payment, they would see that the paper represented a promise to fix your roof. They would realise that it had no intrinsic value to anyone except you (as evidence of a transaction).

The apples were probably consumed or rotted, so they can't be returned. It's like a bank loan with no collateral. If you spend the loan on gambling and lose it all, the paper mandate you signed has no worth and the bank has lost the loan.

You could replace the apples in the example with a lawn mower or a lamp shade and it would be slightly more viable. When the roof doesn't get fixed, you can retrieve your lawn mower. But again, nobody else will take the receipt as payment because it's still just a promise to fix your roof and has no intrinsic value.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2013 15:57 Edited at: 28th Nov 2013 15:58
@BatVink That example was a simplified version of our current monetary system, which is 97% credit(receipts) and 3% cash and coins.

The receipt can have value to anyone, the apple grower may use the receipt to buy some potatoes, the roofer then needs to fix the potato sellers roof.

The only difference to reality is that banks allocate credit on our behalf(and keep tally by creating numbers in accounts). This is why if they stop lending the economy can grind to a halt, or people turn to other ways to trade, such as bitcoin.

So your likeness to a bank loan gone bad it accurate, apples rotting or house prices dropping, it's the same result.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2013 03:10 Edited at: 29th Nov 2013 03:15
Quote: "Compared to other entities that you can't see, smell, hear, touch, taste or exchange in over 99% of retail services."

You can see, touch or exchange bitcoins. You can view the bitcoin address or keys, you can print them out or buy a physical coin. Not everyone accepts dollar bills, does that make it less of an acceptable currency? Just because not everyone accepts bitcoins is no excuse for it not to be considered a viable currency. It's already a used and viable currency whether you like it or not.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 02:06 Edited at: 30th Nov 2013 02:08
Quote: "Actually it's considered to be grossly under-valued compared to almost any fiat currency, much less the USD. If the market cap of Bitcoin reaches anywhere near the trillions of USD that are out there then the price per bitcoin will be closer to $10k or more."

Looking at it from that perspective, that actually kinda makes sense. I was looking at its immediate exchange rate, 1 bc = $1k USD. No other currency has anywhere near that value. But yea, when you consider the number of BCs in "circulation" (i use that term loosely)...

The real question here is, can I take bitcoins into a bank and deposit them into my checking account? Can I buy my happy meal at mcdonalds with them? Then it's not valid currency in my opinion and no different than those virtual game items people pay real money for online.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 02:11
Quote: "The real question here is, can I take bitcoins into a bank and deposit them into my checking account? Can I buy my happy meal at mcdonalds with them? Then it's not valid currency in my opinion and no different than those virtual game items people pay real money for online."

noo, not really - but you can do this
http://www.bitcoinblackfriday.com/

so, it's atleast getting some recognition =P

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2013 23:19
Quote: "The real question here is, can I take bitcoins into a bank and deposit them into my checking account? Can I buy my happy meal at mcdonalds with them? Then it's not valid currency in my opinion and no different than those virtual game items people pay real money for online."

Well no, because it hasn't hit mainstream adoption yet. Any expectation of it being a fully-fledged and ubiquitous currency in only 4 years is hilariously close-minded.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 06:06
Quote: "Any expectation of it being a fully-fledged and ubiquitous currency in only 4 years is hilariously close-minded."

Closed-minded or not, until I can do just that I have no need for bitcoin and it's useless to me.

And now bitcoin miners have become malware:
http://www.techienews.co.uk/973462/bitcoin-miners-bundled-pups-legitimate-applications-backed-eula/

So would coins generated in that manner be considered counterfeit? Or just legit stealing?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 09:33
Quote: "Any expectation of it being a fully-fledged and ubiquitous currency in only 4 years is hilariously close-minded."

That's been the main criticism in this thread. Bitcoins are useless for 99% of any financial transactions you would want to make, even to the point of buying a simple meal. It is a self-declared currency, but lacks the main reason for a currency's existence - to be exchanged for something other than another currency. The Romans and other early civilisations didn't create coinage and then tell the plebeians to hold on to it because it might be worth something in a few years time.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 09:59
They put the world's first bitcoin ATM in a coffee shop in my city! I took a walk over there during my lunch break on Friday and took some pics! It's very straightforward and the rates are the rates from the common exchanges:

It's becoming more mainstream! There are tons of shops here that accept bitcoin! I'm so glad that I still have my bitcoins I bought earlier this year

Quote: "thats $42.5 billion created from nothing."

But surely Van Gogh created millions of dollars of art from nothing?

Quote: "Compared to other entities that you can't see, smell, hear, touch, taste or exchange in over 99% of retail services."

All one has to do is convert them to cash to pay for things, then covert back to bitcoin.

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 07:04:15
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 07:04:15