Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Any Bitcoiners Here?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 10:11
Canada at the forefront We're obviously much slower here in the UK, we hardly heard about it until somebody put his desktop PC with a digital wallet containing $7.5 million into a landfill site.

Quote: "But surely Van Gogh created millions of dollars of art from nothing?"

He made goods that people were willing to exchange for money. Just like taking a heap of metal and making a car. The value is what someone will pay, not the cost of the raw materials.

Quote: "All one has to do is convert them to cash to pay for things, then covert back to bitcoin."

That would be like you having to convert your Canadian dollars to American dollars just to buy a coffee. In that scenario you might as well just have American dollars and forget Canadian dollars ever existed.

I guess you've done well by buying earlier this year. I may be very dubious about BitCoins, but I'll always congratulate someone who did well Can you afford to take time out and create WordTrix in AppGameKit for mobiles

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 16:00
Quote: "The real question here is, can I take bitcoins into a bank and deposit them into my checking account? Can I buy my happy meal at mcdonalds with them? Then it's not valid currency in my opinion and no different than those virtual game items people pay real money for online."

I can take a short train ride to France and no one will accept my Pounds Sterling, so what's the difference? Bitcoin ironically has the potential to become the world's first global currency.

There is only one significant difference I see, but it's a catch 22: there is no authority backing the currency, ergo there is no legal requirement to accept bitcoin as currency. If I go into a shop now and offer to pay in pounds sterling the shop owner is legally obliged to accept it, even if the pound was rapidly crashing.

Formerly OBese87.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2013 17:46
With the way so many different markets in the world can fluctuate, is a true global currency really a good idea? How would it really work if we were all paid in the same currency? For instance, if I get paid $100 I could exchange that into canadian for maybe $120 or something (or at least one point in time I could). Now, USD exchanges for about the same into canadian, so for example sake we'll just say $100USD to an even $100CAD. When America's market went kaput around 2008 and our dollar began to lose value, we didn't receive smaller paychecks. So if our market starts to suck, with a global currency it's value doesn't really change since it's still worth just as much to everyone else in the world.

I don't know if I explained that very well, but hopefully what I'm trying to get at made sense to someone.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 10:13
It looks like the more worrying thing is the appearance of BitCoin banks which are jumping on the bandwagon before putting the right level of security into place. This story is from the UK Daily Mail, so read with caution...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2516024/Bitcoin-thefts-soar-online-criminals-target-easy-payday-currencys-value-quadruples-space-weeks.html

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 12:00 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2013 12:02
There's a Bitcoin mining calculator here, which tells me I shouldn't try to do it.

For every £2500 I spend on power, I will generate £2536 of bitcoins (with dedicated Bitcoin mining hardware). As a block is made up of 25 coins, I will currently need to spend over £20,000 in energy to make a 1.4% profit on my efforts. That's going to get eaten up by rising energy costs and rising Bitcoin mining complexity. On the flipside, we have no idea what the value of a Bitcoin will be.

There is an interesting balance to strike here,which will inevitably push the value of Bitcoins upwards and it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. When the cost to mine and the value of the Bitcoin are too close, it becomes pointless to mine them. The major miners (pun intended) will stop until the cost/value ratio rises (there is no inbetween, it makes no sense to just slow down). When the output slows then the price will rise just like any commodity that has had its supply limited. Once it rises, the miners will be back again. And so the upward trend will continue.

I still ask the question...why are we consuming so much energy on generating hash codes that could be spent on humanitarian efforts.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 13:25
Quote: "I still ask the question...why are we consuming so much energy on generating hash codes that could be spent on humanitarian efforts."

I think someone mentioned higher up that the mining also validated transactions for the whole system. Any system has overheads, think of your current banking system, all those outlets/offices/employees etc.

If this is true then it's pretty cool, if not then I agree it would seem like a waste of resources. I have the same disagreement about gold. Think of all the time and resources spent mining gold, even before it had any proper use.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2013 16:35
Quote: "I still ask the question...why are we consuming so much energy on generating hash codes that could be spent on humanitarian efforts."

It's not just generating random hashes, it's validating transactions done through the bitcoin network. So it has a purpose. And it's much more profitable to mine alternative coins and then exchange those for bitcoin later.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2013 12:27
Quote: "I don't know if I explained that very well, but hopefully what I'm trying to get at made sense to someone."

Are you asking about how a globalised currency will affect individual economies? Like the Euro? I'm not sure if it's like the Euro or not. Since bitcoin is not the official currency of any nation I don't think it will have the same effect as the Euro has had in creating dependencies between countries.

However, I think bitcoin might have that effect within it's own community. There is a finite limit to how much bitcoin can be divided, so we could get to a point where a minority owns the vast majority of bitcoin and there isn't enough in circulation to trade, and there's no possibility of inflation to "fix" that problem like we do with fiat currencies.

Buuut, bitcoin isn't the only crypto-currency, if that were to happen and bitcoin became incredibly expensive and hard to get hold of then people can easily jump ship to a different currency. This is actually one of the most interesting aspects of crypto-currencies, it's not all about bitcoin, it's a total free market economy where even the currency itself is subject to the free market. If one person owns a tonne of bitcoin they will have to keep the price reasonable or people will simply leave and their fortune will be worthless.

Formerly OBese87.
mr Handy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2013 07:07
I did not read this thread, just poke in to say:
- some wise internet guy said that Bitcoins are harder to find with every passed day, so their price go higher and higher: they will crash soon or they will fall and rise back. But certainly something will happen soon. Also he said about guy who bought some bitcoins for $50 for college task long ago, and now he has a lots of money and bought a new flat for that old bc.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 09:37
Quote: "Can you afford to take time out and create WordTrix in AppGameKit for mobiles"

I wish! I would love to port that over to AppGameKit

Senior Developer - CBS Interactive Music Group
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 15:19
Typical... I finally get my hands on some bitcoin and they lose half their value.
I think this is probably a realistic price post-hype so I'm just going to hang in there. Damn people out to make a quick buck screwing with the prices.

Formerly OBese87.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 15:46
Mmm, I'd love to know what happened on December 5 when they lost 20% of their value in under 3 hours.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 16:18
Looks like it's recovering now, will probably take a while to get back up to $1k. I'm half tempted to buy some more but I can't really afford it.

Formerly OBese87.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 16:57
Quote: " Mmm, I'd love to know what happened on December 5 when they lost 20% of their value in under 3 hours."

Chinese central bank declared it a commodity instead of a currency. China has a ton of trading activity so that news freaked chinese traders out which caused a not insignificant crash.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 17:41
Quote: "Chinese central bank declared it a commodity instead of a currency. China has a ton of trading activity so that news freaked chinese traders out which caused a not insignificant crash."

Err, I guess these people didn't get the memo... it doesn't matter what the central bank says since this is a decentralised currency. I thought the whole motivation for the Chinese getting into bitcoin was to escape their heavy regulations?

Formerly OBese87.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2013 20:40
Quote: "Err, I guess these people didn't get the memo... it doesn't matter what the central bank says since this is a decentralised currency."

Exactly! It really doesn't matter, so this is just a blip in the charts. I believe they'll rise and surpass the $1200 they were last week. Investors freak out by news and the price tanks, then it picks up again. This kind of thing happens with regular stocks too.

It doesn't matter if a government doesn't accept Bitcoin, because like bit torrent, no government in the world can shut it down or stop it.

I read an interesting article the other day where they will add 28,000 locations in the UK to buy bitcoin. This is really going to explode IMHO.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 17:05
I can't even believe Bitcoins are a thing. I mean, I'm gonna make my own currency - Vancoins, and they're worth $0.48961398561 each, and we can trade in them, buy stuff, pay ransoms, and use them to make your money temporarily useless.

I don't trust Bitcoins, it sounds like commerce looking for a 'peoples interweb bank' - based on liability rather than ownership. I can go to the bank and retrieve the money I worked for - Bitcoins are not a currency, it's a fricken joke and the quicker we get to the punchline the better. There was a Chinese bank yesterday who 'questioned' the validity of bitcoins, and the price dropped $400 because of that. Sorry, but what we are seeing is marketting, trying to get us to invest in bitcoins to bolster the share price right in time for the whole thing to be sold off to google or microsoft or who knows what!

I wish these hipster fads would just get lost, all these get rich quick and get poor quicker schemes do nothing for the economy. It's not even new - small communities have had this sort of thing for decades - this is the internets version of that in a time when the last thing I'd trust is an internet currency.

I am the one who knocks...
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 17:36
Quote: "I can't even believe Bitcoins are a thing. I mean, I'm gonna make my own currency - Vancoins, and they're worth $0.48961398561 each, and we can trade in them, buy stuff, pay ransoms, and use them to make your money temporarily useless."

Not as silly as it sounds. When you take out a bank loan the banks balance sheet expands by that amount, this means they have created money(credit) based on the idea that you are credit worthy and you will honour the loan, Vancoins are created on your behalf. So these Vancoins add to the nations money supply, but if you don't honour it and the bank also can't honour it then we have a banking crisis. Obviously most of the time a bank will honour it on your behalf, but there are times they can't and need bailouts.

What we have now is billions of pounds worth of promises based on asset bubbles and speculation, our currency is far from sound and has many problems.

Sorry for always labouring this point but bitcoin starts to make much more sense when you see the current monetary system as a total disaster.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 18:09
The Chinese bank didn't question the validity, it just reclassified them as a commodity instead of a currency due to its volatility. Thus they put the risk of dealing in Bitcoin on private individuals instead of the national bank of one of the largest economies in the world. The price is already recovering.

And you can't sell off Bitcoin, not all of it. It's an P2P protocol with no centralized authority.

Bitcoin isn't supposed to be a get-rich-quick scheme. It's just so happened that to achieve anything approaching market cap parity with the USD the price for a whole bitcoin has to be quite high, though that single bitcoin can be divided into up to many as 10^8 times.

You seem really bitter about Bitcoin. Spectacularly bitter in fact, with a lot of what you're saying based on ignorance instead of facts. Bitcoin is based on ownership, not liabilities(aka debts). You own Bitcoin that are assigned to your private wallet that is encrypted with your SHA256 private key making it as secure or more so than any bank. All records of transactions are recorded in the blockchain so you can quite easily prove the amount of funds within your wallet.

You also seem to think that Bitcoins are used in crime, while ignoring that during the Senate hearing it was heard that while bitcoin does have a criminal underground, it's much much much smaller(trillions compared to billions) smaller than USD's.

But I doubt I'll change your mind or even get you to revise your opinion a little bit.

In the meantime I'm going to be cautiously optimistic(just like the US Senate) on Bitcoin's potential as a currency.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 19:29
I'm spactacularly sceptical about crowd funding as well.

I go by my gut instints, and lets just wait a year to see how it pans out, if I end up getting my salary in bitcoins, I'll eat every one of my words.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 20:15
Quote: "I'm spactacularly sceptical about crowd funding as well."

Paiiinfully aware that it's not the right thread but..
... how come?

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2013 20:25
I just think that it should evolve into cloud investing, not funding. If people contribute and make sure a game/movie/album is made, why shouldn't they benefit if it makes a profit. That, and the way smaller developers asking for £20,000 are basically ignored in favor of celebrity professionals asking for millions.

With all these technologies - cloud funding, video blogging, social networking - every time it's us that fattens the cow, then just when we get comfortable we get charged for milk.... or someone tips the cow.... or it gets foot+mouth... or something like that.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 01:25
If I see a significant drop, I may buy a bitcoin and gamble on its market making a profitable comeback. Right now, $900 per coin doesn't sound like a smart buy to me yet. And yes, I'm treating bitcoins more as a commodity than currency.

Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 03:44
@Phaelax
You missed it. It was down to $700 ~2-3 days ago.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2013 06:36 Edited at: 10th Dec 2013 06:37
Quote: "You seem really bitter about Bitcoin. Spectacularly bitter in fact, with a lot of what you're saying based on ignorance instead of facts."

Yah, it sounds more like VanB is a little bit sore he didn't buy some bitcoins in January when they were $13 each.

I'm not sure why someone would get so incredibly bent out of shape over something that he sees as a "hipster fad". In fact this has been going on for 5 years and only recently it's been getting a lot of press. If it was just some silly hipster fad it would have fizzled out long ago. In fact, as I stated already, the UK is installing 28,000 machines to buy/sell bitcoins next year. If you want to create a "Vancoin" and raise it up as an alternative to bitcoin, you have every right to do so. There are bitcoin alternatives out there.

The *only* way I see bitcoin crashing and burning is if somebody figures out how to break the encryption and creates their own coins from scratch.

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 18:55
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but this seemed relevant. Apparently, the bitcoins that were confiscated from silk road are going to be converted to US currency.

http://news.slashdot.org/story/14/01/17/0326217/us-government-to-convert-silk-road-bitcoins-to-usd

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 23:01
It's a shame there's no info on the reason why. It could be plain and simple, they don't want multiple currencies. But that's highly unlikely as all countries hold massive amounts of all major currencies.

Or they may be covertly sending out a message that they don't want to recognise Bitcoin as a currency. Or they may see it as unstable. Or they may see it as a way to make a quick buck (they seized something that is worth significantly more than the point at which they seized it). Or, or, or...

Why can't the journalists do a full job!

the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2014 23:36
I'm sure they are just following the usual bureaucratic process that occurs when the proceeds from a criminal activity are forfeit to the government.

The interest is more in how they are going to sell that volume of bitcoin and the effect that method will have on the market.

By way of demonstration, he emitted a batlike squeak that was indeed bothersome.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2014 15:26 Edited at: 2nd May 2014 15:27
The story seems to be playing out as a highly unstable way to conduct transactions. It's a tough call on those that tries to jump on the bandwagon as bitcoins went to the $1200+ mark.

Regarding the criminal opportunities around Bitcoin, I see that it came from the inside, one of the exchanges managed to lose 650,000 bitcoins, or 76% of the currency that they were holding for clients. The other 24% was their own stash, and that amazingly was still accounted for.

Quote: "Jan 2009 – Jan 2010 basically none No exchanges or market, users were mainly cryptography fans who were sending bitcoins for low or no value.
Feb 2010 – May 2010 less than $0.01 User "laszlo" made the first real-world transaction – he bought 2 pizzas for 10,000 BTC.[72][73] User "SmokeTooMuch" auctioned 10,000 BTC for $50 (cumulatively), but no buyer was found.[74][75]
June 2010 $0.08 In five days, the price grew 1000%, rising from $0.008 to $0.08 for 1 bitcoin.
Feb 2011 – April 2011 $1 Bitcoin takes parity with US dollar. [76]
8 July 2011 $31 top of first "bubble", followed by the first price drop
Dec 2011 $2 minimum after few months
Dec 2012 $13 slowly rising for a year
April 11, 2013 $266 top of a price rally, during which the value was growing by 5-10% daily.
May 2013 $130 basically stable, again slowly rising.
June 2013 $100 in June slowly dropping to $70, but rising in July to $110
Nov 2013 $350 – $1250 from October $150–$200 in November, rising to $400, then $600, eventually reaching $900 on 11/19/2013 and breaking $1000 threshold on 27 November 2013.
Dec 2013 $600 – $1000 Price crashed to $600, rebounded to $1,000, crashed again to the $500 range. Stabilized to the ~$650–$800 range.
Jan 2014 $750 – $1000 Price spiked to $1000 briefly, then settled in the $800-$900 range for the rest of the month.[77]
Feb 2014 $550 – $750 Price fell following the shutdown of MTGOX before recovering to the $600-$700 range.
Mar 2014 $450 – $700 Price continued to fall due to a false report regarding Bitcoin ban in China [78] and uncertainty over whether the Chinese government would seek to prohibit banks from working with digital currency exchanges. [79]
Apr 2014 $339 – pending The lowest price since the 2012–2013 Cypriot financial crisis had been reached at 3:25 AM on April 11th[80]"

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd May 2014 23:08
Quote: "If people contribute and make sure a game/movie/album is made, why shouldn't they benefit if it makes a profit."

That is a very, very good point. Not that I've any problem backing the artist for other rewards but an investment is pretty cool because accruing hundreds of micro-investments is likely safer than any sizeable single investment, skill-of-investor notwithstanding.

You're a bad man!
NIlooc223
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2014 03:19
Bitcoin will die. It has no innovation left or development team. Darkcoin in my opinion will be the future. It has a lot of innovation and amazing development team and a dedicated community. It is already priced around $1.50. I really reccomend hopping in on the boat right now before its to late. I already have 20 coins
easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 5th May 2014 09:41
Quote: "The *only* way I see bitcoin crashing and burning is if somebody figures out how to break the encryption and creates their own coins from scratch."

Something I have long considered trying

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 15:41
Quote: "The *only* way I see bitcoin crashing and burning is if somebody figures out how to break the encryption and creates their own coins from scratch."

I think that would require solving the P vs NP Problem, since "decrypting bitcoin" is perfectly possible but the security comes from the enormous amount of computing time it would take to perform the calculations. Solve the P/NP problem and if P=NP then you can decrypt as easily as you can encrypt. At least that's true as far as my jumbled pieces of knowledge fit together!

Formerly OBese87.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 16:59
Or it may fail after a series of uncovering criminal activity made easier by Bitcoin (600,000 from Silk Road + 26,000 from its customers), failure of exchanges due to the ability to defraud through Malleability attacks (650,000 of customers' Bitcoin at MT.GOX), instability of the rate (millions losing out to the recent $1250 peak followed by a plummet to $350) and the killer that will be putting it under official jurisdiction. The lack of this last one is what makes it attractive to many people now, but there are US companies such as Sunlot Holdings that see a way to get rich by making it official currency, and government is likely to back such a movement.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 18:37
Quote: "failure of exchanges due to the ability to defraud through Malleability attacks"

Bitcoin users need to consider where is safe for their bitcoins, is this a bad thing?

I make this point because I have come across two schools of thought about how to deal with financial crisis and too big to fail banks.

One is to make all money public and stop the massive expansions/contractions of credit/money that the banks naturally put us through.

The other is to take away government backed deposit guarantees and let banks stand on their own two feet, for better or for worse, let them expand and contract credit as they see fit but with no bailouts. This means that the bank customers could lose their money if the banks go bust, but it would realign risk with the rewards banks/customers accumulate when creating loans.

Bitcoin is interesting to me since it comes close to both solutions in some ways. People needing to research and consider where to keep their wealth may be a really good thing on the whole, the market will weed out the bad exchanges. Opposed to having a handful of large incompetent banks which can't fail, leaving us to pick up the pieces when things go wrong.

Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 22:18
Quote: "Or it may fail after a series of uncovering criminal activity made easier by Bitcoin (600,000 from Silk Road + 26,000 from its customers)"

Name one system, piece of software, or physical item that has become unpopular because it was used by criminals.

Quote: "failure of exchanges due to the ability to defraud through Malleability attacks (650,000 of customers' Bitcoin at MT.GOX)"

http://bitcoinvista.com/2014/03/27/malleability-attacks-not-to-blame-for-mt-goxs-missing-bitcoins-study-says/ MT.GOX were a shady company, that is not a unique problem for bitcoin.

Quote: "instability of the rate (millions losing out to the recent $1250 peak followed by a plummet to $350)"

It has been a wild time and the hype inflated the price with all these speculators getting involved. The price has been very stable since the crash, it is probably exactly where it should be without the speculators. It's a shame it had to happen that way, it was hoped that bitcoin would avoid a sensationalised media circus and the currency would gain strength in the shadows before going mainstream. The Chinese government hasn't been helping matters either, with their hostile actions. Maybe people will stop looking at it as a short term money-making scheme now and start viewing it as a legitimate currency.

Quote: "the killer that will be putting it under official jurisdiction. The lack of this last one is what makes it attractive to many people now, but there are US companies such as Sunlot Holdings that see a way to get rich by making it official currency, and government is likely to back such a movement."

That is simply impossible. If the government want to create their own cryptocurrency they can do that but they cannot take control of a system that is already established and depends on millions of independent users. Even if they somehow could take control of bitcoin, those people who don't like it can jump ship to another cryptocurrency.

Formerly OBese87.
wattywatts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2014 22:40
I don't trust fiat currency in general. I want to convert all my money into gold.
Libervurto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 00:09
Bitcoin is not actually fiat currency. There is a limit to how much can be produced and it is not imposed or regulated by any government. It just happens that we are still in a gold rush period. Do you have enough money to make a pair of gold underpants? If so I think it is a good investment. (no pun intended)

Formerly OBese87.
Seditious
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2014 09:32 Edited at: 6th May 2014 09:32
Batvink's real name is Jake Hurwitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIktba-8bTM

Just kidding.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2014 00:14
Quote: "Batvink's real name is Jake Hurwitz"

Thankfully no. There are thousands of Jake's around the world though that bought at $1200 and lost 60% of their investment in 3 months.

Flipside, there are thousands of others who sold at $1200 and are now sporting huge grins.

What is missing is the point that the video makes...it's currently a stock exchange, not a currency. The weird part is that it's a stock exchange backed by nothing at all. We used to call this a pyramid scheme a few years ago.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2014 16:02
Quote: "We used to call this a pyramid scheme a few years ago."

Can you tell us what the USD is backed by?

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2014 16:11
We can start by: It can be used everywhere (with internet it's quite literarily everywhere) - bitcoin, can not.

Whose eyes are those eyes?
Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2014 18:08
Quote: "Can you tell us what the USD is backed by?"

Oil and military force.

I'm not trying to be provocative saying this, many well known economists have stated the same. You need dollars to buy oil so having the whole world needing the money you can print is quite a nice position to be in, unless the world decides they don't want them anymore.

What is backing any fiat currency? Since the numbers in our bank accounts come from other peoples loans then the currency is backed by promises, nothing tangible as such. It could easily be considered a Ponzi scheme too, since money/debt need to keep growing to keep the whole system afloat.

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2014 23:02
Quote: "Oil and military force.

I'm not trying to be provocative saying this, many well known economists have stated the same. You need dollars to buy oil so having the whole world needing the money you can print is quite a nice position to be in, unless the world decides they don't want them anymore.

What is backing any fiat currency? Since the numbers in our bank accounts come from other peoples loans then the currency is backed by promises, nothing tangible as such. It could easily be considered a Ponzi scheme too, since money/debt need to keep growing to keep the whole system afloat."

So having a "fake" currency/asset that's backed democratically by the users is somehow less legitimate?

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2014 23:33
Quote: "So having a "fake" currency/asset that's backed democratically by the users is somehow less legitimate?"

In my opinion, what you describe is very legitimate. Not sure why you are quoting "fake", I never used that word. I would be happy with what you describe, not sure anywhere in the world has that?

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th May 2014 06:54
Quote: "and the killer that will be putting it under official jurisdiction"

This can't happen It's like putting bittorrent under official jurisdiction, which is impossible.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 00:04
It can always be dealt with by stealth. Governments tax anything, with or without a pulse. If they are losing taxes then they will take some form of action, but just like Bitcoin is a new way of trading, so will they come up with a new way of taking their cut. Bitcoiners will need to find creative ways to make sure it doesn't damage the attraction to their market.

My point is that commerce is already trying to cash in on the success. They are creating the perception that they are the good guys and will make Bitcoin a manageable currency for the greater good. We all know that they simply want the biggest slice of the pie they can get, especially while the pie is expanding. Bitcoin will be attacked from many angles simply because it is currently a success story, and will have to fend off many beasts hungry for blood.

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 00:40 Edited at: 21st May 2014 00:41
I do wonder, if the banks ever became a place to hold and exchange bitcoins, could they lend them out on a fractional reserve basis?

They did it with gold and I can't really see what could stop them doing it with bitcoin. To do this then the major banks would need to be holding most bitcoins and in their closed loop they could "pretend" they are moving bitcoins around when they are really using their own accounting system. The only time they would need to actually hand bitcoin over is when people leave the loop, take out bitcoin to store on their own computer etc.

Just googled it:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Fractional_Reserve_Banking_and_Bitcoin

Will read that now, but it does seem like bitcoin could fall into the hands of the major banks, they would then inflate the money supply until bitcoin is a tiny percentage of the numbers in our accounts, to the point were it is almost irrelevant.

thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st May 2014 23:42
Quote: "Bitcoin will die. It has no innovation left or development team. Darkcoin in my opinion will be the future. It has a lot of innovation and amazing development team and a dedicated community. It is already priced around $1.50. I really reccomend hopping in on the boat right now before its to late. I already have 20 coins"

You might be right, it's raised to $8 over the last month.

easter bunny
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Dota 2
Posted: 22nd May 2014 08:21
I'm thinking Darkcoin is the way to go, as long as you get out within a week or so

Audacia Games - Latest WIP - AUTOMAYTE 2.1, AppGameKit one click deploy to Android
"When you've finished 90% of your game, you only have 90% left"

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 10:37:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 10:37:37