Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Codex IDE - Alternate AGK IDE

Author
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2014 00:11 Edited at: 15th Jan 2014 00:11
@blastar - thanks for the suggestions! Great ideas! Will certainly add them. Opening a file in explorer is something I use all the time in visual studio so I don't know how I never thought of it :p!

@JHA - that's really helpful, thanks! Code tidy is very difficult to cover every possible outcome, so finding this stuff out is a big help! I will fix that, and have it in the next update which will hopefully be ready over the weekend!

I'm not sure why the compiler errors are occurring, or why functions are being indented too much, I so far haven't been able to reproduce this, but I will keep trying. I'm sure it's probably something simple wrong, it's just finding it that's the hard bit ..

Thanks!

JHA
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2014 16:13
Hey Wizzkid,

I just sent you an email with a link to download my program, so you can see what is happening.

Thanks
JHA

Joe Austin
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2014 00:33
Excellent, thanks very much! Hopefully this will get rid of the code tidy bugs once and for all ..

Have been working on a new project explorer recently, it is coming on very well so far !

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2014 01:16
Ok, i have fixed the indentation bug where it was indenting things too far. In your code you had something along the lines of:

All on one line, and the code tidy did not take that in to consideration. Stupid mistake on my part.

As for why the syntax errors are occurring? So far I have no idea? I cant see anything wrong!

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 15:11
This is a really promising IDE. I tried it with my current project and it worked well.

I mainly work away from a WiFi network, so I seldom broadcast the compiled project. It would be great to have the option to switch OFF broadcasting, or to have a dedicated COMPILE & RUN, or simply just a RUN button.

I also have the habit of setting the default value for globals on the same line as they are declared like so:

Quote: "global MaxAsteroids as integer : MaxAsteroids = 24"

In your IDE, the ": MaxAsteroids" parts also appears in the code inspector window.

Also functions,types and globals only appear for the currently selected agc, it would be great to be able to see all the functions, etc. that I spread across all the included agc's.

It would be great if you could collapse functions to improve reading.

In the tools folder - it would be super useful if we could define links to our own tools. For example, I have SpriteMe and use it often with AppGameKit - it would be great if the SpriteMe link could be customised to the exe I have, rather than the web link.

For the errors that the compiler finds - it would be great, if the message could be realled after the window is closed. I sometimes forget what location the error reported and it would be great to be able to recall the message rather than recompile.

I'm sorry to request so much, I'm hoping you find these suggestions useful - This IDE is a significant improvement over the standard IDE and I would definitely use it if a simple run only function was available to avoid the auto broadcasting.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2014 15:15
I have to agree that this is a really promising development. I'll be giving it a test drive as soon as it can read my include files from a subfolder.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 00:00
@Ched80 - Thanks for the great suggestions, i will certainly add as many of them as I can in! I had planned on allowing custom tools to be added to the tool menu, however i havent gotten round to it yet! If you have any other suggestions let me know!

@BatVink - I am working on this right now, so hopefully tomorrow night I will be at a stage to release the next beta which will have this included, if everything goes to plan !

Rampage
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 00:04
This is awesome. Would be awesome if you added support for Tier 2 development

Back to support reloaded
- Graduate Application Engineer at the University of Auckland ITS department
- Microsoft NZ Windows Dev Division
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 00:07 Edited at: 19th Jan 2014 02:20
I agree, tier 2 support would be good, and it has crossed my mind. I have only ever used tier 2 on for iOS development on a mac so i would need to look into it for other platforms and stuff first, but its something i might consider down the line, once i get it working for tier 1 first

EDIT:

Just been working on the new project explorer and it all seems to be working well (now you can have folders within folders etc..)! The only thing left to do is moving files between folders but that may be a large job. But I have a few good features which will hopefully be ready for you all try out tomorrow !

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2014 23:41
I have just uploaded a new version of Codex IDE. This version adds a few new features, such as:

- New Project Explorer, which allows sub directories etc..
- Added view in explorer option when right clicking on files
- Some UI Changes
- Now choose custom tools to add to Tools menu
- Added Todo tab to Code Inspector so you can keep notes on each project
- Bug Fixes

A lot of the IDE had to be re-written to use the new project explorer so there may be a few bugs that have crept in, so if you find any let me know and i will fix them, but hopefully it will all go just fine! At the minute you cant move files from one folder to another in the project explorer, that will come.

You can download it from the first post or if you have a previous version you can use the updater tool.

Thanks

Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2014 13:24 Edited at: 20th Jan 2014 23:15
Fantastic! I'll update it tonight and try it tomorrow.

EDIT: I quickly tested the tools function, it works great! Thanks for adding this.

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 00:47
Great! Glad it's working well! Thanks! I'm going to work on improving the current features this week and fixing bugs, hopefully get another update out this weekend!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 13:31
I got an error when I opened then closed a sub-tree in the media hierarchy:

oct(31) = dec(25)
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 19:15
One thing I do like it's that it remembers the location of my last project! Nice touch

It would be great if it remembered what agc files I had open when I last opened the project. At the moment it only opens the main.agc.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 21:05
The standard IDE does that...

oct(31) = dec(25)
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2014 22:01 Edited at: 21st Jan 2014 22:02
I really like this IDE after a few hours of use, the syntax highligting is really nice since I have gotten used to T2

I did find a bug when trying to change the colors of the IDE, the string color button does nothing which means that I am unable to change it. It also looks like the # sign does not change color but keeps the default black color. Being able to change the color of the pointer would be nice aswell since I like dark IDEs

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 06:40
@bax - the IDE I have never remembers my last project, it always reverts to the default examples - I store all my projects on DropBox and the Code_Blocks IDE never automatically points to them.

I think I found a bug in with the code tidying feature. I tried it out and it removed all the carriage returns from one of the included files (see attached).

Strangely it only affected this included file, all the others we unaffected.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
lilpissywilly
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 08:30
@Ched80: If you hover "recent projects" under the file tab you will. I use dropbox too

My hovercraft is full of eels
Ched80
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 09:01
I must be going mad! How on earth have I missed that?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2014 15:16 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2014 15:16
Quote: "the IDE I have never remembers my last project"

It's in the Environment settings:

oct(31) = dec(25)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2014 00:08
It's a good suggestion! I will add this feature in, should be done over the weekend alone with some other bug fixes !

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 13:35
I'm still using Codex over the default editor However I have found a couple more little niggles which I wanted to share..

1) When you select a bunch of code and then press Tab to indent it all, it can be kinda slow to happen. Especially if you need to press Tab a couple of times.

2) I am quite often in the habit of commenting out half a line by adding a `. for example..

But when I do this in Codex, it doesn't highlight the rest of the line as a comment. It's not a biggy, but it'd be nice if you could fix it.

Thanks for the awesome editor, and as always keep up the good work

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2014 22:30
Thanks for the suggestions and feedback ! I have unfortunately been very busy recently and unable to spend much time on the IDE but I will be back working on it as soon as possible, which many bug fixes and improvements !

Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 01:03 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2014 15:28
This is looking brilliant, I can't stand Code::Blocks!

I'm afraid I haven't downloaded yet - laptop is dead - but here are a few things I'd really like implemented if possible. (If they are already, apologies)

Firstly, the panes, such as "Project Explorer" - can you make those auto-hide w/ pin option? I'm sometimes working on a lower screen res on the laptop, and it drives me crazy having loads of side panels - but to close them and open them is also a drag.

Secondly, if that wasn't picky enough, can to please put in an option to have FILE menu and Edit menu in normal case? (File, Edit, Run, Tools, Help) - because I know it's Microsoft's next big thing to have the worst grammar possible - but I'd rather no-one else followed the trend. Or gave the option to opt out

<Rant>
This UPPERCASE thing all over the new office and Visual Studio makes me livid. I guess its just me, but along with the windows 8.1 'smiley error screens (SADFACE) and the toned down useless error messages, and 'friendly messages': "Oops, we're really sorry something is wrong with your document formatting, would you like help with that". Its just one of those things that really irritates me. Its Windows 8.1 Pro, PRO! I don't need to be talked down to in a patronising way by my own computer like I was 5, and then have it have ridiculous bad grammar. And I've tried it on touch-screens, and trust me, all caps doesn't help. (Neither do half the Windows 8 touch features, which usually fail to appear)

</Rant Over>

Sorry for the rant.

In summary, this IDE beats codeblocks 100% as far as I'm concerned, and I will download as soon as I
(a) get wifi in my accommodation (yes, £6.3K student accommodation can't provide wi-fi - though can promise it will be installed last September) and
(b) have my ultrabook back recharged and on the illusive wifi.

Thanks for you efforts
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 09:19
Quote: " because I know its Microsoft's next big thing to have the worst grammar possible"

Correct grammar is "it's"

-- Jim - When is there going to be a release?
Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 15:31
Quote: "Correct grammar is "it's""

Haha, jokes on you I have an edit button...

Anyway I can surely pass that one off as a typo... Does no-one else get annoyed by Microsoft and their grammar though? I mean, all-caps just is wrong. As is [Insert above rant + additional ranting]

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 15:58
Quote: "Haha, jokes on you I have an edit button"

Should be "The joke's on you; I have an edit button."

Sparrowhawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 16:38
Well sorry, but I never bothered learning grammar to that much detail :p
Only started school when I was 13 - skipped all the boring bit

Microsoft should have hired you, not who-ever did their grammar...

But you get my original point about all caps right?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 16:50

oct(31) = dec(25)
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 17:40
All capitals is nothing to do with grammar.

"whoever" is one word.

Reserve the Microsoft flames for the unspeakable pile of utter ABOMINATION (note caps) that is Windows 8.1.

The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2014 18:52
Something relativley related... In office 2014 they added a new "feature" where the typing cursor slowly moves when typing instead of doing it one step per letter. I guess some people might like it but it's pretty annoying. What's more annoying though is that the only way to turn it off is to add a new registry key. There are a ton of checkboxes for all sorts of settings, but this one is way to important to just turn of like you would normaly.

Say ONE stupid thing and it ends up as a forum signature forever. - Neuro Fuzzy
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 09:33 Edited at: 4th Feb 2014 09:35
Actually it is bad grammar to use capitals for a whole word. A capital letter is only supposed to be used at the start of a sentence, a name, in an abbreviation or in a book or film title bUt i h8 te grama polis

oct(31) = dec(25)
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 10:41
It is not bad grammar, because it does not change the syntax. It's acceptable to fully capitalise a word for emphasis. Really, it's a matter of style.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 12:55
It's acceptable but generally frowned upon. People only started using caps for emphasis when typewriters didn't have italics. Since then emphasis should be done using italics or bold text, not capital letters. It's not strictly bad grammar, just bad etiquette. If you use caps for emphasis in an official document you might as well use crayon (in my experience).

oct(31) = dec(25)
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2014 13:11
Purely in the interest of injecting a little humour...

Quote: "It's acceptable to fully capitalise a word for emphasis. Really, it's a matter of style."

My son started to wear his jeans halfway down his backside and wouldn't take his Parker coat (including hood) off in the house. He claimed it was in the name of style, I begged to differ.

To me, this is the equivalent of capital letters

and this is a missing apostrophe...

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Feb 2014 01:04
After a rather unfortunate bout of the new Win 8.1 Sad Face Smiley Blue screens of Death on my main PC, It occurs to me that an Auto save might be a handy feature to add to the editor? Like every 5 mins or so rather than just when you compile.

Mika
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2014 11:25
Hi Wizzkid,

Many thanks for your IDE version.

Just tested this IDE, features look effectively good, however the compilation process seems to do not work.

As you mentioned previously, Codex IDE, with the related files, have been copied in the AGK/IDE/Editor repository.

I've made a test with the input/joystick example, the compilation process is said completed by the tool, but when I launch the comiled executable, the related window appears, stays in black 1 second and close itself. So no execution of the file.

I done the same test with the original IDE and in this case, the compiled executable is working fine.

Do you have an idea for the issue root cause?

In advance many thanks and best regards.

Michel

Michel
=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2014 20:15 Edited at: 9th Apr 2014 20:19
Still using Codex as main AppGameKit editor after a few months, still really enjoying it, but also here are some more little problems I've discovered along the way...

1) I'd like to be able to close the tabs.

2) Being able to refresh the Project explorer view would be handy. For when I add files from another project to an already open project.

I hope your still working on this, as despite these little niggles I really like this editor.

>Edit<
Ignore number 2, lol, I just saw the refresh button. *facepalm*

>Edit 2<
I think I put my stupid head on this morning? I just found out you can close the tabs also. (This has been bugging me for days? lol)

So yeah, just ignore everything in my post *sigh*

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2014 20:24
Hi,

Work on the IDE is on hold at the minute, until I have more time to work on it, very busy at the minute. But I haven't forgotten about it and will continue on it when I get some spare time!

In regards to the issues mentioned:

- closing tabs, you should be able to do this by hitting the X near the top right corner, or by using the shortcut Ctrl+W.

- refreshing the project explorer should also be possible by hitting the arrows beside the title of the project explorer.

You may need to get theatre at version for these to work as explained - either use the updater tool or download from the first post.

- Michael - I'm not sure why this happening, I do know there are a few issues that need worked out and some further investigation. The next version I will release will probably be mainly a bug fix and stability improvement release, rather than adding new features solidify what is already there.

Thanks
Ashley

Wizzkid
AGK Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2014 20:25
Ah I see you have just edited your post while I was writing mine !

Paronamixxe
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2014 23:14
REALLY nice!

Love the clean style! Going to be using this from now on!

Nice work!

cheers

Mika
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2014 23:00
Hi Wizzkid,

I just re-installed your editor using the zip file, and now compilation process is working fine (I still do not understand why it was not working before ...)

So again, many thanks for your work ...

Regards

Michel

Michel

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 10:12:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 10:12:20